Car air freshener

Jun 23, 2019
Hi I’m currently making a frankincense essential oil air freshener. I’m not sure if anyone can give me any help or advice to help it jump out (if possible) so people can actually smell it. I was just going to use 100% of frankincense oil or is there anything else I’d need to add to it to help it project.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

Willis5

Dec 4, 2021
Hi I’m currently making a frankincense essential oil air freshener. I’m not sure if anyone can give me any help or advice to help it jump out (if possible) so people can actually smell it. I was just going to use 100% of frankincense oil or is there anything else I’d need to add to it to help it project.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks
I've been using a wooden clothes peg for the last 3-4 years. I just put a few drops of essential oil on it and use the peg to hold onto the air grille. The oil will soak into the wood but needs to be used fairly soon as it's volatile so won't stick around forever. This won't give out a constant aroma. I do it whenever I feel like I want to smell X oil. I normally use peppermint or lemon oil but also use frankincense on a seperate peg during the Christmas holidays. If you try this method you won't have to worry about projection, trust me on this! Just turn on your fan and voila! :) You can also put a few drops of oil on your floor mats, assuming they are carpet, and you'll get the desired effect too.

parker25mv

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 12, 2016
Hi I’m currently making a frankincense essential oil air freshener.
I actually made a frankincense air freshener before. It's a good smell inside a car during winter time.

Unfortunately I think you are going to run into some problems because frankincense EO is not the strongest smell. I mean it's not weak, but it's not like one of those really strong essential oils, and it's also not going to match those strong synthetic ACs that are normally used in air fresheners.

Here's some disorganised information I'll throw at you to give you a starting point:
You might do some research in this forum on the AC called Mystikal. That is going to give the incense-like olfactory effect found in frankincense, though it doesn't really smell distinctly like frankincense itself. Supposedly it's kind of soapy, though "elevating" in feeling, part of frankincense.

pinene, possibly douglas fir EO

orange oil (preferably stabilized with tocopherol, toco)
a little bit of citral for a lemon aspect
mixed limonene, or add some L-limonene to the orange oil

a hint of caryophyllene
rotundone (if it ever stops becoming a captive, but I'm pretty sure Givaudan has started to sell some proprietary accord that contains rutundone, though I can't remember. Givauden's Akigalawood, discussed in this thread: Public Service Announcement - Akigalawood (Givaudan) )
tobacarol might help give some of the incense effect that is in spikenard, which has some overlap with frankincense in my opinion

claritone is an AC that might be useful for you. I thought it smelled like it might go good in laundry detergent, so those type of smells would make a good air freshener. I'd say it has a harsh bitter rind of orange peels, a little bit reminiscent of a tea made from bergamot and orange rinds.

If you want to make it a frankincense and myrrh smell, that might help, since the smell of myrrh is a little stronger than frankincense. Myrrh also has a little bit of a "new leather" (and maybe even a little bit of a diesel) smell that could go with car fragrance.

Jun 23, 2019
Thanks! As for the hearse it’s not haha. I heard or read that frankincense has major benefits (I know most if not all EO have benefits) but frankincense was the top one so wanted to have that in my car

mnitabach

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 13, 2020
Thanks! As for the hearse it’s not haha. I heard or read that frankincense has major benefits (I know most if not all EO have benefits) but frankincense was the top one so wanted to have that in my car

The only "benefits" of frankincense or any other e.o. if used in a fragrance, such as car freshener, is that they can smell good.

Latest News