Captives and release to public

Jolieo

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 18, 2018
Akigalawood caught my attention in one ☝️ Of my daughter’s perfumes- and it will be released from captivity in May.
How long till it hits the market? I realize that no one may know- just really , really like it

pkiler

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
Guessing here, but if released in May, we should have it at Vigon later in the month.
I'll certainly be buying a kg.

Jolieo

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 18, 2018
What’s crazy is it’s easily identifiable- I have never smelled it before, and you know that its there. It’s very interesting and beautiful- if I thought I could use a kg Paul , I would get a kg! I just hope Christine or pa gets some

Stevenat

Mar 25, 2022
Here are some interesting articles about akigalawood:

Jolieo

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 18, 2018
one of the last posts but I have another reference too looking for it

Jolieo

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 18, 2018
In the paper in Stevenat’s post
quoting : “ The name “Akigalawood” was trademarked by Givaudan on May 28, 2012, and the trademark expires on that date in 2022.”

pkiler

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
The Trademark expiration, which is just a name, doesn't portend that it would be released at the end of their trademark, though.
***IF it was being released, one might think that it would be released at a big event like WPC.
But I would not count on it being released anytime soon. Many captives are still not released after some protection expires.

polysom

Basenotes Junkie
Apr 4, 2021
How do you find out that a captive will soon no longer be one? Is that announced somewhere? Will there be more captives that will soon be available?

pkiler

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
There are usually some announcements/hints that something will be released, most often at WPC... I knew from personal conversations with Firmenich, that Cascalone would be released about 9 months before it happened... just being around and working gets you this type of advance information, sometimes...

GallupPerfume

Basenotes Member
Nov 8, 2021
In the paper in Stevenat’s post
quoting : “ The name “Akigalawood” was trademarked by Givaudan on May 28, 2012, and the trademark expires on that date in 2022.”
Trademarks are renewable, at 5th or 6th year and again at 10 years intervals. Are you thinking patent? That would be different terms.

Jolieo

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 18, 2018
I have no clue about anybof it, only hopes- Paul kind of answered my question- I was not sure if end of captivity portended anything at all-

parker25mv

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 12, 2016
If I recall correctly, the product Akigalawood contains the found-in-nature but synthetically produced captive molecule Rotundone.

Jolieo

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 18, 2018
They don’t have to do anything- it just means that if someone else wanted to make it - or they could if they wanted to- it’s in a perfume that I love- and it’s so strong I’ve actually considered using the perfume like a material

dcampen

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 9, 2004
Any new information about Akigalawood availability? I see a number of frgrances that are listing it as a ingredient.

Has anyone tried oxidising guaiene?

pkiler

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
Any new information about Akigalawood availability? I see a number of frgrances that are listing it as a ingredient.

Has anyone tried oxidising guaiene?
I do not think that Akigalawood is slated for release.
Another Perfumer is having some success oxidizing something, maybe guaiene, into rotundone.

I wish that I could figure out to properly and controllably oxidize Firsantol into Firsantal... and stop the reaction too...
harumph.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...