can't smell a thing!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jal123

Apr 9, 2020
with this damn virus,ive totally lost all sense of smell.(and taste)I wonder for how long?
But at the moment couldnt tell the difference between interlude man and bleu de chanel!!!!!!!!!!
Ive heard it could be up to 6 months. imagine that.take care.

philosophe

Sep 15, 2019
with this damn virus,ive totally lost all sense of smell.(and taste)I wonder for how long?
But at the moment couldnt tell the difference between interlude man and bleu de chanel!!!!!!!!!!
Oh man, that sucks. Were you vaccinated? If so, you likely won't have severe or long lasting symptoms.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

thrilledchilled

All Is Beautiful
Basenotes Plus
Nov 17, 2018
apparently supplementing with zinc helps. I would be careful about not over doing zinc. I would personally probably eat high zinc foods such as oysters and liver. If I was supplementing I wouldn't take more than 30mg of elemental zinc per day and only for a month or so. Good luck!

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/lio2.513
Direct intra-nasal zinc administration has been shown to induce olfactory nerve damage and anosmia.30 Since SARS-CoV-2 is found not only in the nose but also in the mouth and gastrointestinal tract, the clinical trials assessing the effect of zinc supplementation on SARS-CoV-2 response may compare the effect of supplementation with oral zinc formulations at maximum daily dosages recommended by the FDA with placebo.31 The study groups may be younger individuals (<65 years of age) who are at risk for systemic zinc deficiency prior to COVID-19, such as people with diabetes or those with poor nutrition. Prolonged use of thiazide diuretics could deplete zinc tissue levels.32 Studies may compare the rate of anosmia and COVID-19 outcome between people who are on medications that lower systemic zinc levels such as ACE inhibitors and thiazide diuretics those who are not.

Blizzard

Jul 5, 2017
I am recovering from COVID myself and freaked out a bit when I completely lost my sense of smell. It was shocking not to be able to smell Interlude Man at all. Thankfully, my sense of smell seems to have mostly returned, with it only being completely gone for less than a week. Please note that I was fully vaccinated, so that might have helped. I am still not sure that I have 100% recovered the sense, but I am not complaining given the amount of time that it has taken other people to recover.

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
Get well soon.

succio

Jun 11, 2016
I got it back in november, i would say its mostly back but not as strong and meats had a weird taste

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
jal123, I hope you regain the ability to smell in a short amount of time. Blizzard, it's wonderful to hear that you're mostly back to normal.

I'm pretty surprised by the large numbers of fully vaccinated people who've come down with the virus in recent weeks - it can't all be due to variants. This is just the strangest ailment, and we know so little about it - in spite of all we've learned.

LadyDragonFire

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 21, 2011
Thank you. Yes I am fully vaccinated.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but are you sure it's COVID 19? Have you been tested?

Also, here where I live, all of our official data on COVID 19 shows that numbers of people who have tested positive for COVID or who have been hospitalized with it have come down dramatically! According to our official data it seems that the vaccines work!

philosophe

Sep 15, 2019
Wow, that is unfortunate. Hope you recover soon. The longer a large number of people remain unvaccinated, the longer we will have these variants evolving that are better at evading current vaccines (even though they are still quite protective, especially against severe illness). As things are going, we'll probably need a booster dose for additional variants soon. I'm not looking forward to that, having had strong and unpleasant immune reactions to both previous doses.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Blizzard

Jul 5, 2017
I and everyone in my household have been fully vaccinated and all of us have officially tested positive. I got tested due to other household members having it since I only had mild symptoms at the time - the day after I tested positive, my fever spiked and the symptoms worsened quite a bit. The vaccines have been largely preventing people from needing supplemental oxygen and/or passing away, but it is still very possible to contract the illness while vaccinated. I received the Moderna vaccine in February and March. Unfortunately, my state (Arkansas USA) is also one of the leaders of COVID cases on a per capita basis, so some of the hospitals around here have reported that they are full or quickly filling up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
I'm pretty surprised by the large numbers of fully vaccinated people who've come down with the virus in recent weeks - it can't all be due to variants.
Actually, it can, although a relatively small amount could be due to the original strain.

People need to be aware that the vaccine isn’t complete proof against infection. It strengthens your immune response to the virus, reducing the likelihood of infection, reducing the severity of infection if it happens, and virtually eliminating the possibility of death—with known strains. New (post-Delta) strains may require booster vaccines targeted specifically at them and/or at another mechanism of viral infection/replication than just spike proteins. For now, virtually all hospital cases and deaths are amongst unvaccinated people, and infection rates amongst the vaccinated are higher in those who got the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Maybe this is a dumb question, but are you sure it's COVID 19? Have you been tested?

Also, here where I live, all of our official data on COVID 19 shows that numbers of people who have tested positive for COVID or who have been hospitalized with it have come down dramatically! According to our official data it seems that the vaccines work!

Not a dumb question at all. I got near-total anosmia in 2008 from what I'm fairly certain was one of the other 4 beta coronas. The similarities are more than just symptomatic - many of the most recent scientific papers match up with the known, strong genetic similarities of these viruses, showing up in the exact kinds of antibody responses of both the vaccinated and unvaccinated (i.e., the unvaccinated antibody response is typical of immunity based on prior coronas and/or prior COVID exposure). Which is also why the various tests are often problematic - both PCR and antibody.

It's a mess. But clarifying.

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
Actually, it can, although a relatively small amount could be due to the original strain.

People need to be aware that the vaccine isn’t complete proof against infection. It strengthens your immune response to the virus, reducing the likelihood of infection, reducing the severity of infection if it happens, and virtually eliminating the possibility of death—with known strains. New (post-Delta) strains may require booster vaccines targeted specifically at them and/or at another mechanism of viral infection/replication than just spike proteins. For now, virtually all hospital cases and deaths are amongst unvaccinated people, and infection rates amongst the vaccinated are higher in those who got the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
My husband and I got J&J and we'll probably need to get a second round, from what I'm hearing.

In Canada, they're mixing vaccines. My friend in British Columbia got her first Moderna shot eight weeks ago, but there wasn't a big enough supply for her to get a second jab two weeks later - so she was put on a waiting list for whatever became available. She just now received her second shot, but they gave her AstraZeneca instead of Moderna. What a chaotic situation, I can't even imagine how hard it is to coordinate and manage all of this.

HFMIII

Nov 29, 2016

That sucks, hope you have a speedy recovery.

When I had Covid back in January I lost my smell and taste for 10 days. A good friend of mine couldn't smell for 3 months!

LadyDragonFire

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 21, 2011
My husband and I got J&J and we'll probably need to get a second round, from what I'm hearing.

In Canada, they're mixing vaccines. My friend in British Columbia got her first Moderna shot eight weeks ago, but there wasn't a big enough supply for her to get a second jab two weeks later - so she was put on a waiting list for whatever became available. She just now received her second shot, but they gave her AstraZeneca instead of Moderna. What a chaotic situation, I can't even imagine how hard it is to coordinate and manage all of this.

That sounds wrong. :/
Here in the Toronto area, I actually got a thing in writing (when I received my first dose of the Moderna vaccine back in April) saying that the second dose must be the same vaccine, or the same type of vaccine! It was from the hospital workers who were administering the vaccines. So yes..actual medical professionals told us (in writing) that both doses of the vaccine must be the same thing! And..to ensure that that happened, they originally scheduled our doses four months apart! The reason was exactly because they weren't sure when they'd be receiving all their shipments of vaccines, or how many they'd be getting. Then, a lot of people's wait times were reduced to only two months because they suddenly received a lot more vaccines. (Earlier than expected I guess.) So..I'm not sure what's going on out where you live, but here in the part of Canada where I lived we apparently haven't had that problem! (Both doses I received were Moderna anyway. I'm fully vaccinated now too.) So..yes..this all sounds strange to me.

Also, no offense, but I wouldn't assume anything is COVID 19 unless you've officially been tested, and the test turns up positive. You know, my mom was sick back in the fall or winter, and she was tested, and it turned out to be a cold! (Big surprise!) The common cold and many strains of influenza obviously have a lot of the same symptoms as COVID 19, because they're coronaviruses! (I've temporarily lost my sense of smell lots of times from the common cold.) I mean..I don't think I've had COVID-19 (as far as I know..I was never tested for it either though) so I'm not saying I know what it feels like from personal experience, but I've seen the list of symptoms and obviously lots of things that are less serious can have lots of those same symptoms too. You should never self diagnose. If your symptoms persist or get worse you should maybe get tested to see if it is COVID 19 or not.

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
That sounds wrong. :/
Here in the Toronto area, I actually got a thing in writing (when I received my first dose of the Moderna vaccine back in April) saying that the second dose must be the same vaccine, or the same type of vaccine! It was from the hospital workers who were administering the vaccines. So yes..actual medical professionals told us (in writing) that both doses of the vaccine must be the same thing! And..to ensure that that happened, they originally scheduled our doses four months apart! The reason was exactly because they weren't sure when they'd be receiving all their shipments of vaccines, or how many they'd be getting. Then, a lot of people's wait times were reduced to only two months because they suddenly received a lot more vaccines. (Earlier than expected I guess.) So..I'm not sure what's going on out where you live, but here in the part of Canada where I lived we apparently haven't had that problem! (Both doses I received were Moderna anyway. I'm fully vaccinated now too.) So..yes..this all sounds strange to me.
Where I live in the US, we were told the same thing as you - that the two-shot vaccines need to be of the same type. My friend says that where she lives in Canada, they're routinely mixing them up. It sounds like a recipe for disaster, but all of this is strange to begin with.

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
The deal with mixing is not that it doesn’t work: it’s that it hasn’t been extensively tested. What data we have says that two shots of whatever is better than one, especially with delta. They’re studying three shots now.

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
The deal with mixing is not that it doesn’t work: it’s that it hasn’t been extensively tested. What data we have says that two shots of whatever is better than one, especially with delta.
Right, that's the rationale my friend was given.

Blizzard

Jul 5, 2017
It is definitely a good idea to get tested so that you know for sure. Hope those of you who are ill and have lost your sense of smell feel better soon and that the anosmia is short-lived.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020

Would it help to spray the perfume directly into your nostril to stimulate your olfactory?

SOB111

Feb 9, 2019
Wishing you all the best.

On a lighter note, its funny that everyone seems to run straight to Interlude to test their senses!

ScentMemory

Aug 26, 2013
Would it help to spray the perfume directly into your nostril to stimulate your olfactory?

Whoa, no--don't do that. If you are anosmic from Covid (or anything else), it's not because you aren't get getting a big-enough dose of what you're trying to smell. No amount of over-stimulation will bring your sense of smell back. From what I've read, smelling things regularly (in normal doses) while thinking of how they should smell is the way back.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011

It is definitely a good idea to get tested so that you know for sure. Hope those of you who are ill and have lost your sense of smell feel better soon and that the anosmia is short-lived.
Hopefully you'll be on the road to recovery like Blizzard soon enough.

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Wishing you all the best.

On a lighter note, its funny that everyone seems to run straight to Interlude to test their senses!

LOL!

Yeah don't do this. Don't sniff strong chemicals either. You can damage your sinuses. It is much easier to do damage when you don't have your sense of smell to act as feedback control.

Great point!

ajmc

Jun 9, 2003
I'm pretty surprised by the large numbers of fully vaccinated people who've come down with the virus in recent weeks - it can't all be due to variants. This is just the strangest ailment, and we know so little about it - in spite of all we've learned.

Probably because they are not true vaccines like they're being marketed as. They are "symptom attenuators".

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
Probably because they are not vaccines like they're being marketed as. They are "symptom attenuators".
No, they’re vaccines. All vaccines work by preparing your body with an advanced immune response, which is not the same as complete immunity. “Symptom attenuation” is a byproduct of how they work, but they do not treat symptoms, per se.

donna255

Jul 16, 2004
Hoping your smell returns quickly.

I was told when I got my vaccine, yes, you can still contract the virus. But it should stop you having to go into hospital.

No vaccine is 100% at stopping you getting ill. I get the flu jab every year as I have asthma and told each time takes 2 weeks to kick in and not 100% effective but up in the 90%+.

LadyDragonFire

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 21, 2011
I was just thinking about the fact that this whole entire time I have not gotten the COVID 19 test even once.
And I was realizing that ever since March of 2020 (when the whole COVID 19 lockdown first started here in the Toronto area) I have not had cold or flu-like symptoms even once!
That's the main reason I never bothered getting a COVID 19 test..I haven't had any symptoms! (Well..back in the fall of 2020 I had something like brutal food poisoning with symptoms that lasted at least a month, but I'm sure that's a completely different and unrelated thing.)
Which is really weird for me..because I was realizing that usually at least once a year I catch a cold at least once! But ever since the crazy-strict lockdown rules..not a single one! :/ So..as much as I hated living under our lockdown rules, I have to admit they actually work! At least..for preventing the spread of coronaviruses the rules truly worked! :)

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011
Moderator Message

All,

Just a polite notice that we are fine with discussions on all things smell or loss of smell.
Let's just not get political here about vaccines. Such conversations in the past have been deleted for being way off topic. Basenotes is just not the place for that.

Thanks!

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
That's the main reason I never bothered getting a COVID 19 test..I haven't had any symptoms! (Well..back in the fall of 2020 I had something like brutal food poisoning with symptoms that lasted at least a month, but I'm sure that's a completely different and unrelated thing.
Sometimes COVID-19 presents with only abdominal symptoms. I remember reading about that some time ago, and found this article: https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/85721

I wonder if the virus' impact on the sense of smell can be partial and mild - like perfumes smelling off when they're not, which has happened to me a few times in the past year with vintage purchases. I revisited a couple of major disappointments last night, being unsure what to do with them and always hating to discard vintage bottles. They were fine, simply excellent!

I've heard that people recovering from COVID-19 can often smell things, but the smells are all wonky - like smelling fish all the time, etc. I wonder if something similar could happen on a small scale, either at the beginning or end of a bout with the virus, and perhaps as the only symptom. I don't see why not, as strange as this thing is.

Sheik Yerbouti

oakmoss fiend
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2017
Redneck and thrilledchilled thank you for your insights. You have the sight. Don’t lose it.

A combination of Quercetin, Zinc and Vitamin D seem to be having promising effects for those wishing to take another route to get healthy or stay healthy and create a shield against getting ill. It also seems to speed up a return of sense of smell for those having lost it.

Of course, do your own research and think for yourselves.

Keep in mind, the ‘official story’ and ‘misinformation’ are not mutually exclusive.

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
Best wishes to those struggling with anosmia - can’t imagine! I’m glad I got the vaccine a few months ago, and thankful I never had to deal with that. I already have enough stuffy nose anosmia as it is with allergies!

Diamond Joe

Feb 5, 2019
A combination of Quercetin, Zinc and Vitamin D seem to be having promising effects for those wishing to take another route to get healthy or stay healthy and create a shield against getting ill. It also seems to speed up a return of sense of smell for those having lost it.
I believe they recommend also supplementing with vitamin C if you take Quercetin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Latest News