Burberry London reformulated?

Foamywax

May 2, 2013
I would love to try the interparfums version with the oakmoss. Don't know why coty took it out unless it's still in there and not in the ingredients.

Foamywax

May 2, 2013
The latest box (coty) is just like the material wrapped around the bottle. The box before that was silver colored.
There have been 3 reformulations. Latest has taken the lyral out. But I see no difference. It's the interparfums (oakmoss) that must be great if people are getting 12 hours out of it. It's all about how the ingredients work together. There are other fragrances with oakmoss that are weak. So it could be how much oils are being used.
Burberry fragrances are weak in general (Brit+Brit rhythm).
Brit intense is a powerhouse but the bottle I have is from when the fragrances were made in house. It's confusing I know..my bottle of Brit (all plaid bottle) is made in house and is exactly the same as the coty version (grey style pattern)..And I've seen coty fragrances with generous amounts of oakmoss inside..why they took it out is a mystery.

speckmann0706

Mar 8, 2017
Is the new version of London worth buying?

IMO no, even on clothing you can douse yourself in it with pitiful performance. The older box style is still easily obtainable online, I sold off my new bottle immediately after my first wearing it’s a total hollow shell of its former self. I have a lot of fragrances in their current available form that are still enjoyable and perform excellent this is not one of them though. I wore the older box style a few years ago and remember the smell and performance while not a beast it definitely was more dense and fuller smelling and had better performance.

Milan SRB

Dec 4, 2012
I have the inter parfumes version from a long time ago and since I wear it only during winter and even then not all the time, I think one bottle is all I need.
With that said it is very sad to read something like this.

Foamywax

May 2, 2013
IMO no, even on clothing you can douse yourself in it with pitiful performance. The older box style is still easily obtainable online, I sold off my new bottle immediately after my first wearing it’s a total hollow shell of its former self. I have a lot of fragrances in their current available form that are still enjoyable and perform excellent this is not one of them though. I wore the older box style a few years ago and remember the smell and performance while not a beast it definitely was more dense and fuller smelling and had better performance.

I found the older version at discounters earlier this summer and I didn't buy it now they are all gone. I was scared to buy it because I have a brand new bottle and was worried they would be identical in performance.
Can you describe the older packaging? Silver paper right?

speckmann0706

Mar 8, 2017
I found the older version at discounters earlier this summer and I didn't buy it now they are all gone. I was scared to buy it because I have a brand new bottle and was worried they would be identical in performance.
Can you describe the older packaging? Silver paper right?

Silver/White glued on label.

I just checked on eBay for us USA members $32 on eBay sealed excellent!

Attachments

• 6BB84FD9-0136-4465-BEBB-051218E9E33F.jpg
    6BB84FD9-0136-4465-BEBB-051218E9E33F.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 39

Toxicon

May 29, 2021
Digging up this thread, as I randomly nabbed a new bottle... and it's nothing like I remember from past exposure and absolutely nothing like reviews.

Details: no oakmoss listed, made in Germany by Coty, batch 0302, which means manufacture date was Oct 2020 according to checkfresh.com.

I can't directly compare to an older batch as this is my first time owning a bottle, but this smells really, really light and doesn't seem to match the listed notes. I know longevity has been an issue for ages, but I've smelled it in stores and on friends, and I thought it had quite a bit more heft than this. The reviews talk about how cloying this is supposed to be in warm weather; unless I have a bad case of anosmia, there's no way my bottle could be cloying in any situation. It's extremely light and thin. Someone earlier in this thread mentioned peppermint, and I'm scratching my head; another review said it's "too spicy" to be used as a work scent. Hard to pin down notes as there's just not much here, but I'm getting no real spice, no discernible tobacco, certainly no port wine or cherry, nothing even faintly resembling peppermint. (No Christmas in a bottle for you!) It feels like a very soft mall scent, for lack of a better term. I don't mind it, but I'm not really sure what to do with it either.

Toxicon

May 29, 2021
Hmm. The Burberry website lists it as Made in France, while my 2020 bottle clearly says Made in Germany. The site also describes the scent thusly:

A sophisticated scent with top notes of bergamot, lavender and warm cinnamon
Artfully balanced heart notes of mimosa flower and rich leather
Lower tones combine heady tobacco leaves and dense oak moss to complete this distinctive and refined fragrance
As far as I can tell, almost none of that's true. There's a flash of bergamot in the top; lasts a few seconds at most. The lavender is there, and I suspect the mimosa flower accord is responsible for the slightly fruity florals that are about the only thing present. I get absolutely no cinnamon, leather, or tobacco. The reference to "dense" oak moss feels like a meanspirited joke by whoever wrote the press copy.

Foamywax

May 2, 2013
I have a '19 bottle made in Germany as well. I can't compare to a an in house bottle that was made by Burberry before coty received the license. However I actually like my recent bottle. It is quite rich at first and does project but you won't get more than 5-6 hours out of it but I'm ok with that . I do have an older Brit bottle and it's identical to the coty version. My point is I don't think Burberry has ever really made a beast mode fragrance. Burberry for men is even lighter. I'd love to try a 2006 bottle of London but I'm fine with the current version.

Last edited:

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019
I would love to try the interparfums version with the oakmoss.
I snagged a tester of the oakmoss version (2011 bottle).

There are subtle differences. Whether that's due to age or not I can't say. This older bottle feels more leathery and green than the stuff I remember from recent years.

The base feels a little less synthetic than the current stuff (I do pick up the oakmoss right away, which adds some depth), but, overall, it still feels pretty comparable to the current stuff in quality and performance. This is no beast.

And that makes sense - for most of the mainstream scents for men in the 2000-2010 run, performance wasn't beastly. The dominant approach was to build stuff that hung closer to the skin with subtle projection and sillage.

Foamywax

May 2, 2013
I suspected as much. The oakmoss was listed way at the bottom so I doubt there was much in that version. Burberry does not make beast mode fragrances. You won't get more than 5 hours longevity with London and that's fine. It's a wonderful fragrance and so is Brit which although lighter, lasts a bit longer. I love them both.

Latest News