Burberry London reformulated?

The_Cologneist

Feb 27, 2010
So recently I picked up a back up bottle of Burberry London. I was a bit skeptical because when I held the bottle to the light, I saw pieces of crap floating around in there. I looked at my other bottle in the light and saw the crap too, but not as much. Regardless I sprayed the new bottle on. The port wine note is definitley more pronounced.. there's more of a peppermint smell to it too. Usually London lasts a good 6 hours on me before it's completely off the skin. This time it lasted over a day on me, even after showering. I am very happy to have found this gem was made in Feb of 2006. The box was a little damaged upon arrival, and there is particles floating in the bottle, but hell.. one of my favorite smells lasting all day now.. that's a huge plus.

I know a lot of people think that reformulations of later releases a little after their release is bogus.. but it's not. I think Burberry London was one that underwent an early reformulation. If you get a bottle from the first year it came out (2006) you're quite fortunate.

Navyy8

Apr 5, 2013
Got a bottle (2012) and have no complaints, and am addicted to the boozy port wine vibe it gives off.. Since I only spray to the chest, can detect it for 6-8 hours. Found when I started using unscented soap and unscented deodorant longevity increased.

cologne_enthusiast

Feb 21, 2015
I have my bottle from 2006, when it was first released and yes I can attest it is a gem. I have a friend who has a bottle from a few years later, and his is real good as well.

SmellyFinger

May 21, 2014
Sampled the current version in Sephora recently and I have no performance issues. Excellent projection and longevity. No problems at all.

silentrich

May 27, 2009
I had a 2006 bottle and to my nose the newer stuff has more woods. I also get more of the Burberry pine in the older version. Not a huge difference.

Sent from Richard's Ipad

Diamondflame

Frag Bomber 1st Squadron
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2009
I got a 2nd bottle last year after finishing the first (circa 2006). No significant difference as far as I can tell. But I'd better buy a backup as this one gets worn frequently.

jonnyv

Sep 6, 2012
I know this is an old thread and I did think about starting another thread.

But I'm sure it has been reformulated.
It's no longer made by inter perfumes and list of ingredients has changed and no longer shows Evernia prunastri (oakmoss).
I love Burberry London and I can tell that it's been reformulated.

Derbyman

Jan 26, 2010
I have the original release and have smelled what's out there and to my nose I notice no difference.

Good evening hednic, may I ask, do you have backup bottles of Burberry London as I know it's a favourite of yours and imagine you wear it fairly often (although not as often as Gengis Khan..!;))

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
Good evening hednic, may I ask, do you have backup bottles of Burberry London as I know it's a favourite of yours and imagine you wear it fairly often (although not as often as Gengis Khan..!;))
You're right, it is among my very favorites, but only have one large full bottle left. My grandson took whatever surplus I had hanging around. :smiley:

Pauer_Haus

Jun 3, 2016
I know this is an old thread and I did think about starting another thread.

But I'm sure it has been reformulated.
It's no longer made by inter perfumes and list of ingredients has changed and no longer shows Evernia prunastri (oakmoss).
I love Burberry London and I can tell that it's been reformulated.

This is correct. There is no need to speculate on this one; the ingredients list change proves it was reformulated. I'm surprised this doesn't get mentioned more because London is a frequently recommended fragrance in this forum.

I only have the old formula. Performance is huge and I smell a fair amount of oakmoss so I have to wonder what current bottles smell like.

Derbyman

Jan 26, 2010
You're right, it is among my very favorites, but only have one large full bottle left. My grandson took whatever surplus I had hanging around. :smiley:

Thank-you for the reply - good to know your Grandson has inherited your good taste. :thumbup:

slpfrsly

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
Hate the reformulation chat as much as everyone, but is there a general consensus as to when the reformulation occurred? What to do look out for in terms of packaging, bottles etc. I'd imagine it's a lost cause hoping to find pre-reformulation versions of this in physical shops, but the generic stock photo on online wholesalers or re-sellers is blind guesswork.

jonnyv

Sep 6, 2012
Hate the reformulation chat as much as everyone, but is there a general consensus as to when the reformulation occurred? What to do look out for in terms of packaging, bottles etc. I'd imagine it's a lost cause hoping to find pre-reformulation versions of this in physical shops, but the generic stock photo on online wholesalers or re-sellers is blind guesswork.

If you look at my post above, it states that newer releases are no longer made by inter perfumes and oakmoss is missing as an ingredient listed on the rear of the box.

Foamywax

May 2, 2013
Finding a 2006 bottle would be pretty difficult for sure. Current stuff is quite good but like Brit doesn't last for more than 5 hours but that's not bad these days...considering.

Foamywax

May 2, 2013
As for interparfums, i've yet to find a fragrance made by them that lasts all day.

Edit: actually that's not true. Jaipur edp and boucheron homme edp last all day. I know that rochas man used to have oakmoss once it went over to interparfums they took it out and it doesn't last much now. Maybe their version of London was better. I have the coty version I get 6 hours but it has been reformulated no lilial or lyral in the ingredients yet smells the same. I would not be surprised if the first batches of London were very strong.

Last edited:

slpfrsly

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
If you look at my post above, it states that newer releases are no longer made by inter perfumes and oakmoss is missing as an ingredient listed on the rear of the box.

Yes, thanks, but I'm asking when this happened. Good to know that the box and maker are good signs, but unfortunately no wholeseller I can see mentions or displays either of these. If the box is missing on used bottles, then are there also ways of showing when it was reformulated, and whether it might be pre-reform etc.?

jonnyv

Sep 6, 2012
Yes, thanks, but I'm asking when this happened. Good to know that the box and maker are good signs, but unfortunately no wholeseller I can see mentions or displays either of these. If the box is missing on used bottles, then are there also ways of showing when it was reformulated, and whether it might be pre-reform etc.?

I'd just check ebay regularly.
Ask seller to check list of ingredients.
As I mentioned earlier, I've just bought another bottle off eBay.

jonnyv

Sep 6, 2012
So any idea of the year? 2013? Before? After?

I have no idea. but if your asking a seller for a batch code, you may as well ask for a pic of the back of the box and see if its made by inter perfums and contains Evernia prunastri (oakmoss)

ive just searched ebay for images of ingredients list on back of box and found some inter perfumes version that don't have Evernia Prunastri listed as an ingredient.

manicboy

Oct 12, 2005
It's definitely been reforumulated and the oak moss stripped out. A few years ago, I bought a backup tester with Oak Moss listed on the box for around $20. That said, I've never had good longevity with any version so I use around 10 sprays per wearing.

peter4ptv

Jun 1, 2015
It's definitely been reforumulated and the oak moss stripped out. A few years ago, I bought a backup tester with Oak Moss listed on the box for around $20. That said, I've never had good longevity with any version so I use around 10 sprays per wearing.

i have a 2006 tester and 10 sprays will choke me, i use 2 sprays is perfectly fine and last all day, this is very well blended cologne with amazing drydown.

mesaboogie

Aug 30, 2011
I don't know how many times it was reformulated, but it was almost certainly changed in 2014. Heavy IFRA restrictions in 2013 caused most fragrance houses to reformulate some of their frags in 2014. Aventus, La Nuit, and Spicebomb were some of the more well known ones.

jonnyv

Sep 6, 2012
Alright, well, thanks. Seems like guesswork is the way to go other than having the ingredients list on the box.

Just to make things slightly more complicated, ive got my backup bottles of Burberry London out to look at batch numbers.

All are made by Inter perfumes, all show Evernia Prunastri (oak Moss extract) as an ingredient followed by citral and only on 2 of my bottles does it also show cinnamal as the end ingredient.

my original 100ml bottle has a batch code of 06C06C006 (oak moss, citral & Cinnamal)

1st 30ml back up bottle has a batch code of 06B15B031 (oak moss, citral & Cinnamal)

2nd 30ml Back up bottle has a batch code of 108B06 (oak moss, citral )

50ml back up bottle has a batch code of 016B07 (oak moss, citral )

Bigsly

Feb 20, 2008
My batch code is 170B06, Inter Parfums, no box, but I've had it a long time (one site says it's from 2006) and it sure smells like it's got oakmoss in it to me.

Martin Ford

Feb 29, 2020
I have batch code 061b08 and one site says it's from 2006 the other one says it's from 2011. Which one is true and why do they show different years?

Latest News