Bright fragrances that work great in cold weather?

Airegin

Sep 25, 2017
I have too many warm and dark fragrances. What are some bright, cold, fresh scents that work well in colder weather?

Declaration d'un Soir's fresh rose, Guerlain Vétiver and Chanel Pour Monsieur come to mind. Any more florals and green scents in particular that perform really well in autumn and winter? Like any of the Hermes Jardins or EDCs?

sagebrush

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 20, 2017
Dior Fahrenheit EdT - still getting bright, cool gasoline and violet 12 hours in.
CdG Zagorsk - snowy forest; violet again, this time with hinoki etc. Longevity is OK on my skin, though not much projection

dougczar

Basenotes Institution
Mar 3, 2012
I find fresh Vetivers and fresh Patchouli work just fine in the colder weather as well as warm (Grey Vetiver, Straight to Heaven, etc.)

Max Magnus

Basenotes Junkie
Aug 9, 2016
The Vetiver AND Patchouli combo works well, I agree. Some citruses might work too, if they are paired with some darker animalic notes, like musks and sim, but not typical cologne composition, like herbals etc.

Chanel Pour Monsieur as mentioned by OP works well, especially in the Perfume version. I also agree with the Declaration (and would add the Bulgari Eau Parfumée Au Thé Vert , also by Ellena), Guerlain Vetiver Extreme (the original too, tobacco compliments the vetiver well), Tom Ford Vetiver, Encre Noir, Fahrenheight (if it's considered fresh, I don't).

The Eau Sauvage I wear in winter, but really only when I long for it, I would not consider it a good choice.

Knize Forest is on my to smell list, I am glad it is mentioned here. I have to hurry up and obtain me a sample...

Toxicon

Basenotes Junkie
May 29, 2021
Some that I've been enjoying as temperatures drop: Guerlain Vetiver, Bowling Green, Fahrenheit, HdP 1828, Floris Santal, Guerlain Homme EDP, Versace L'Homme, and Eau Sauvage Parfum.

Each has a bright opening, though some are paired with sweeter notes (Floris Santal has some oddly sweet lavender) or heavier base notes like amber or resin, and I find they all work in cold weather for different reasons. The Versace and Eau Sauvage parfum are interesting in that they have extremely strong citrus notes paired with particularly heavy base notes, so they really feel more like cold weather scents despite the full frontal lemon assault. Meanwhile, others seem to treat Bowling Green as a summer scent due the bright green lemon verbena, but it's so absurdly strong and overstuffed with notes that I can't even wear it in warm weather; it seems to shine for me in cooler temps. Of all of these, Guerlain Homme EDP might strike the best balance of something that feels distinctly fresh (big mojito top notes that last and last) with a base of patchouli, vetiver, and cedar that's just heavy enough to hold up in cold weather.

EDIT: I realize you asked for florals or green scents, and most of these are either woody, citrus, or a combination of the two. Bowling Green is by far the greenest of these, but if I recall correctly, you might not be the biggest fan of obvious 80s scents and this one's like a bright green Drakkar Noir. Guerlain Homme EDP is probably my best recommendation. Another would be Creed Original Vetiver as a distinctly green, fresh scent that works year round.

Airegin

Sep 25, 2017
I tried Hermes Un Jardin Sur Le Nil and En Méditerranée. EM is actually very refreshing in the cold, SLN not as much.

How are Eau Gentiane Blanche and Narcisse Bleu in cold weather? Sadly I can't sample these anywhere.

Rabidsenses

Basenotes Dependent
May 10, 2019
+1 Creed Himalaya - So very easy to wear on a crisp cool day. I think it’s always a surprise the first time someone tries this but then one also quickly realizes how much sense it makes.

+ 1 Hermès TdH Eau Trés Fraiche - Wore this one almost continually during all seasons a few years back, first because it became my favourite of the TdH line, and second because I realized how well it worked. I never felt the same way with AdP’s summery cologne line which, for me, seems to prefer the warmer side of 3 seasons.

Prada Infusion d’Iris Cédre - A recent exploration this Autumn on a couple of cool days. More because I just wanted something clean and soapy, and because I wanted something drier than Prada L’Homme’s iris profile. It worked well and I suspect I’ll do it more in the Winter months too.

Sandy

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 15, 2005
Sandalia Coros - well worth a try. A really realistic green and sea-breeze, with considerable depth.

mrcologneguy

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 2, 2009
Affordable: Grey Flannel, Z-14

My favorite, mentioned several times in this thread, not inexpensive: Creed Himalaya

Give it a whirl: YSL Opium Pour Homme EdP. Might be a little too “dark” for you, but it opens up in chilly air.

Expensive, hard to find, top shelf green: Creed Feuilles Vertes. Gosh I love this one.

NettyYeti

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 28, 2016
Though not the biggest fan, I agree with the GIT suggestions.

I would also concur with Fahrenheit. Love it, hot or cold.

Speaking of green, I find that mint works well in the cold, especially when paired with something a little more robust, such as the patchouli in Mugler’s Kryptomint or the ambergris in Caron’s Pour un Homme Sport. I also get a smidge of mint in the opening of Hanae Mori’s H.M. (edt), which with its gourmandy aspects works wonderfully in the cold, yet still has a bright lemony effervescence. Guerlain’s Homme may also be worth testing, but it may be tricky to find the right balance. The edp is likely a little too heavy on the rum to be “fresh” and L’eau Boisee doesn’t strike me as a cold weather fragrance, but YMMV. I haven’t tried the edt.

Finally, something along the lines of Santal 33 or its many “copycats” (Dunhill Century, for instance) might also work, with that “crystalline” sandalwood note.

cheapimitation

Basenotes Dependent
May 15, 2015
Chanel Eau de Cologne really hits the spot for something bright and sunny in winter.

For something cheaper, I'm really enjoying my recent purchase of Guerlain Cologne de Parfumeur.

And one more, Hermes Neroli Dore takes neroli in a really warm almost buttery direction with the addition of saffron making it a really nice neroli for winter.

TR10

Nov 17, 2012
Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge

Widely considered a warm weather scent, the herbal/medicinal lavender & peppermint work wonderfully in the winter as well

FragFrog

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 6, 2018
I've just discovered the new Kenzo Homme Intense.

It's made with several aromachemicals, like Calypsone, which gives of a watery, oceanic, watermelon-like, minty, fresh vibe and Akigalawood, which smells like patchouli combined with woods (think about the base of PdM Nisean and I'm pretty sure it's used in Initio Oud for Greatness too). You also get a bit of vetiver which is similar to the vetiver in Lalique Encre Noire Sport and hints of Fig (think of a few drops of Acqua di Parma Fico di Amalfi, but really faint). A bit of Pink Pepper and some sandalwood in the base (similar to what's used in Z&V This is Him), too.

It's very, very fresh, slightly woody, minty (do you know those Japanese "Jojoba" oils?) and strong as hell!

Two sprays on a tester strip and it projected like crazy, even two days later I got whiffs from it when I'm 1,5 meters away.
When trying it on skin it lasted 10 hours easily and even when I washed it off there was something left of those aromachemicals - but I like that smell, it's like you've used a nice soap (it's not that disgusting sharp and plasticy smell which is often found then).

I think it could be a bit polarizing.
And I'm pretty sure that some of you guys would love it, because it's in no way like the usual suspects, no bubblegummy sweetness here, no "Invictus" or "Sauvage" vibes, it's certainly a bit more unique.

I for myself don't know if I like it or hate it lol.
It has a bit which puts me off (that slightly milky aspect), but I'm so impressed that it's that strong and just "different" and I like what it does with this "etherial freshness".

So I'll leave it up to you to try it out. :)

naylor

Basenotes Institution
Oct 24, 2011
+1 Creed Himalaya - So very easy to wear on a crisp cool day. I think it’s always a surprise the first time someone tries this but then one also quickly realizes how much sense it makes.

+ 1 Hermès TdH Eau Trés Fraiche - Wore this one almost continually during all seasons a few years back, first because it became my favourite of the TdH line, and second because I realized how well it worked. I never felt the same way with AdP’s summery cologne line which, for me, seems to prefer the warmer side of 3 seasons.

Prada Infusion d’Iris Cédre - A recent exploration this Autumn on a couple of cool days. More because I just wanted something clean and soapy, and because I wanted something drier than Prada L’Homme’s iris profile. It worked well and I suspect I’ll do it more in the Winter months too.
These are excellent choices. Thanks for sharing!

FragFrog

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 6, 2018
As for Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche - I also like that one and have seen, that it get's harder to find here in Germany.
You can only buy it from greymarket sellers now, not a single authorized seller has it in stock.
So it looks like it's discontinued.
If you like it it's probably not a bad idea to get your backup bottle now.

Airegin

Sep 25, 2017
I'm loving Chanel Pour Monsieur EDT more and more for cold weather. Are there more scents like PM that are generally considered warm weather scents but actually work really well in winter too? Monsieur de Givenchy and Eau de Guerlain perhaps? Any others?

Toxicon

Basenotes Junkie
May 29, 2021
I'm loving Chanel Pour Monsieur EDT more and more for cold weather. Are there more scents like PM that are generally considered warm weather scents but actually work really well in winter too? Monsieur de Givenchy and Eau de Guerlain perhaps? Any others?
Out of curiosity, what aspect of CPM is it that you're looking for in a warm weather scent that works in winter? I find I can wear pretty much anything in wintertime (including the brightest and lightest summer scents), whereas that's not really the case in summer, where some of the heavier "winter" scents get cloying in the heat. As far as warm weather scents I personally enjoy in the cold, I like some of the icy citrus / white musk scents (Dior Homme Cologne, Chanel Allure Homme Sport Cologne, Zara Vibrant Leather Summer), soapy green things that typically evoke springtime (Mugler Cologne, Creed Original Vetiver, Bowling Green), and citrus mint combinations (Guerlain Homme EDP, Atelier Cologne Cedrat Envirant).

If it's the citrus in CPM specifically, it might be worth looking at Versace L'Homme, which is built around a similar strong citrus note but adds a heavier base. It frequently gets compared to Chanel Pour Homme EDT Concentree and Guerlain Heritage. The Versace can be divisive--folks who say the opening smells like toilet bowl cleaner aren't wrong--but I swear, on some days it's just the perfect hing.

Latest News