Brief interview with Jacques Polge on Bleu de Chanel

zztopp

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 2, 2006
A very generic video, a very generic interview .... for a very generic fragrance ?

Is he even interested in making fragrances anymore?

DustB

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 5, 2003
Sure doesn't say much, and sure isn't asked much of anything either.

Notice how almost all the organ bottles and some other stuff is bleu?

Suppressor

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 7, 2006
The thing that comes up when seeing this clip is that he isn't excited at all about Blue de Chanel.
He isn't showing any pride or passion about it. The haters shouldn't blame Polge for Blue de Chanel, they should blame Chanel.

Riverwide

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 20, 2006
Such nonsense you're all reading into a tiny promotional "interview".

What do you want the man to do? Jump up and down while spraying himself in the stuff?

Bazowzer

Aug 6, 2010
The thing that comes up when seeing this clip is that he isn't excited at all about Blue de Chanel.
He isn't showing any pride or passion about it. The haters shouldn't blame Polge for Blue de Chanel, they should blame Chanel.

Can you really infer that from this clip? He's not even talking specifically about Bleu; it's just a brief summary of his approach to creating fragrances. Nor, to me, does the fact that Polge is reserved necessarily imply that he has no pride in his work. Footballers who express tremendous passion when they're going about their job can still be as dull as ditchwater in a post-match interview.

Suppressor

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 7, 2006

What do you want the man to do? Jump up and down while spraying himself in the stuff?

Can you really infer that from this clip? He's not even talking specifically about Bleu; it's just a brief summary of his approach to creating fragrances. Nor, to me, does the fact that Polge is reserved necessarily imply that he has no pride in his work. Footballers who express tremendous passion when they're going about their job can still be as dull as ditchwater in a post-match interview.

Well I guess the fault lies in the title of the clip.
If it is supposed to be about Blue de Chanel (the main face of Blue is doing the interview, right?), and all they can talk about is the formula for Chanel fragrances in general, yes, that means to me that Polge is very bored with this stuff and has no pride in it at all.

How can you call this a promotional interview for Blue de Chanel?

Scentologist

Basenotes Institution
Apr 17, 2007
A not needed fragrance. There are others that do they job better. I still think it is generic smelling but will have to retest it yet again.

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Sure doesn't say much, and sure isn't asked much of anything either.

Notice how almost all the organ bottles and some other stuff is bleu?

I was actually able to get a lot of fragrance intel out of that video. I'm probably reading too much into it as well, but on a technical level. I'll return to this below...

And yes - all the blue bottles. When I read what you said, I thought that for sure it was a gimmick of some kind. Photo journalists are notorious for scamming pictures that way. We actually caught one arranging a minor lab mishap in a chemistry laboratory for better colors in a shoot. Sheesh! Anyway, when I saw the bottles, they looked legit, and it looked like a lab that he was familiar with, so I would venture that they may have chosen the exact location for the blue bottles, but that it wasn't a total set-up shot.

I laughed so hard at this! :grin: And yes, I agree completely. I felt the exact opposite. The way he was getting into listing every note type in order, I was detecting a fragrance geek getting into it in a fairly relaxed setting. It wasn't as great as those interviews where the subject goes wide-open nutso happy on the questions (you know what I'm sayin'), but it was a calm sort of "gettin' into it", as near as I could tell.

YES - I would like to see HIM put this on and WEAR IT !

LMAO - YAYUS! Me too! :wink: Just hoist up the old turtle-neck by the sides and spray his pits, and then pop the neck out in front, spray it down the chest, take a sniff, and let out a little "Woo! Très bien!" :grin:

Seriously now, I was getting a lot out of the minutiae of what he described, appreciating it both from my lab days and as a form of programming. I thought it was interesting how (1) the idea of the frag was clearly up-front, the very first thing, exactly as we suspected - there was clearly not much (or any) undirected exploration on this; (2) the way he orders things by "note group" - very interesting - it has certain peculiarities that are very Chanel, such as a "jasmine group" - I thought that was very cool; and (3) the way they do ALL of the Chanel fragrances that way. Clearly it's part of the reason they get multiple similarities running through the whole line - AND why Bleu doesn't fall far from the tree. Makes me wonder - did they have bad experiences deviating too far from the "house methodology" in the past? In any case, I would bet that some of their little Chanel-isms date back to the early days of the house, much as the practices in any lab may date back to really interesting early history.

Whatever they're doing, it's working. The approach made my goddess frag, Eau Première, and (love it or hate it) Bleu, which will rake in the bucks.

castorpollux

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 9, 2005

I got that same impression, maybe he was forced to do something he didn't feel like, who knows...he seemed positively touched with ennui.

Riverwide

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 20, 2006
Well I guess the fault lies in the title of the clip.
If it is supposed to be about Blue de Chanel (the main face of Blue is doing the interview, right?), and all they can talk about is the formula for Chanel fragrances in general, yes, that means to me that Polge is very bored with this stuff and has no pride in it at all.

How can you call this a promotional interview for Blue de Chanel?

Uh...how could it be anything other than a promotional interview for Bleu de Chanel? Do you think the actor/face of Bleu de Chanel just happened to drop by the laboratory of the perfumer for a chat and happened to have some cameras following him for amusement?

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
I got that same impression, maybe he was forced to do something he didn't feel like, who knows...he seemed positively touched with ennui.

Uh...how could it be anything other than a promotional interview for Bleu de Chanel? Do you think the actor/face of Bleu de Chanel just happened to drop by the laboratory of the perfumer for a chat and happened to have some cameras following him for amusement?

Going a bit further, I wouldn't exactly expect these guys to be high-fiving on what may have been a first encounter in person.

Celeb + Geek + Camera = just a wee bit awkward

Now if I was in charge, I would have taken them to the pub and gotten them totally drunk, toasting the gazillions of francs this juice is going to make, and put it all on film. :wink:

Latest News