Bought Single Malt by Kilian today ...

Stache

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 17, 2015
And it basically smells like I spilled malt whisky on myself. So far, definitely prefer Pure Malt by Mugler. Let's see where the dry down takes me...

So I bought this online last week and within an hour of putting in the order, sent an email to cancel it. They sent it anyway and I got it today. And they don't offer refunds. So I guess I'm stuck with it. Will probably siphon out the juice and replace it with Pure Malt since I like the bottle.

Save yer monies, folks.

single-malt-s.jpg

gerbick

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 13, 2009
And this is one that I've been wanting to try... still willing to try it though, but would be buying blind.

There's no other notes to speak of? Just straight booze?

schnozz

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 7, 2015
As your comparison seems to suggest, I don't think the Mugler has much of a whiskey note at all. Rather, it strikes me as sweet rum. Curious about the Kilian but don't want to suggest to others that I am more of a lush than I am.

hednic

Basenotes Institution
Oct 25, 2007
Haven't tried this one yet. Will at some point in the future. To the OP: Sorry it didn't work out for you.

Stache

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 17, 2015
Anyone wanting to try this one out, Surrender To Chance has it in stock for sampling.

This stuff sucks. Smells sickly with a very noticeable dog food gravy note. Seriously, smells like Gravy Train. Projection is minimal at maybe 3-6 inches right after application. But it does seem to last. Various girls at the mall I let smell said it was meh, ok but nothing good.

Will take the loss and put this up on Ebay. Better to get something back than lose $300.

Sorry Kilian, but you have yet to impress me one bit.

Stache

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 17, 2015
Sorry, was driving when I posted.

For those that would like more in depth about it: i smell malt, and I smell a gooey prune syrupy odor. That's it. No complexity, no evolution in the drydown.

Gonna list this at $100 off and take it like a man. My blind buying days are over. Damn you, Kilian. Damn you.

gfbl

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 12, 2012
I would list at retail,theyre a lot people who don't have access to it as you do.I'm sure it will sell

Stache

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 17, 2015
Welp, I will say this: It's a bit over 12 hours later and this stuff is still radiating off me a bit. So if you're a fan of this, know that you'll get your money's worth. That's one thing I can say about the Kilian's I've owned (and ultimately sold). They have ungodly staying power.

CaliDude

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 26, 2011
Recently got a decant of this (bought blind). While I can say that I don't hate this fragrance, it really didn't wow me either. It smells like a fragrance I already own, and reminds me of a Mugler or Tom Ford Private Blend scent. In other words, didn't seem unique.

I really liked Apple Brandy and Vodka on the Rocks, not sure about this one yet.

Maybe my opinion will change as I literally sprayed it on like 15 minutes ago. At the moment, it seems to be drying down and becoming more reminiscent of their Apple Brandy.

schnozz

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 7, 2015
I only did a card test of this and was not impressed. Plus the good folks at the store were pretty clear about waving me off any thought of purchasing it, and I trusted them. I won't name the store,because such discouragement may be viewed a bad product representation (the store carries the entire Kilian line). It is, however, good customer service.

CaliDude

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 26, 2011
I only did a card test of this and was not impressed. Plus the good folks at the store were pretty clear about waving me off any thought of purchasing it, and I trusted them. I won't name the store,because such discouragement may be viewed a bad product representation (the store carries the entire Kilian line). It is, however, good customer service.

That's nice of them to do that.

This scent has dried down and I would say its base is still reminiscent of their Apple Brandy. Of the three Kilian boozy scents, my favorite is Apple Brandy, then Vodka on the Rocks. Single Malt would be a distant third. Wish Kilian would have made it more original and taken some risks.

Who knows, maybe my opinion would change after a full wearing.

RedRaider430

You smell good! 😄
Basenotes Plus
Dec 18, 2011
I sampled Single Malt today and it appears I'm in the minority on this one, as I liked it very much. From the name of it, and from reading a few comments on Basenotes about it, I was thinking it was going to be more similar to Pure Malt. But that was not the case.

Single Malt is a fairly linear scent that develops into a very close clone of Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille, not Pure Malt. I actually like it better than Tobacco Vanille, although I don't think I would buy it since I already have Tobacco Vanille.

Single Malt is boozy in the opening, and smells very much like Kilian's Apple Brandy initially. But then they start to develop into different scents and I much prefer the Single Malt.

Tobacco Vanille has top notes of tobacco leaf and spicy notes, with middle notes of tonka bean, tobacco blossom, vanilla and cacao, and base notes of dried fruits and woody notes.

Single Malt has a top note of plum, a middle note of wheat, and base notes of cedar, vanilla and tolu balsam.

Single Malt is a more refined Tobacco Vanille to my nose, and reminds me of Straight to Heaven with the way its smell is always there, but is smooth and doesn't hit you upside the head (like Tobacco Vanille tends to do at times).

I might try to buy this one if it came in the cheaper 50 ml refill, but it apparently doesn't. Too bad, as I love the way it smells and it has very nice longevity. I'd love to buy a split of this and Apple Brandy.

Scent7

Jan 13, 2011
I have a fairly generous decant of this. When I first tried it I liked it, but it wasn´t nearly FBW to me. But now, after a couple of wearings, I really fell for it. It´s nothing really special or groundbreaking, but just a well made good fragrance. Not offensive, not too challenging, not too sweet. I will probably buy a full bottle once my decant is gone.

RedRaider430

You smell good! 😄
Basenotes Plus
Dec 18, 2011
I have a fairly generous decant of this. When I first tried it I liked it, but it wasn´t nearly FBW to me. But now, after a couple of wearings, I really fell for it. It´s nothing really special or groundbreaking, but just a well made good fragrance. Not offensive, not too challenging, not too sweet. I will probably buy a full bottle once my decant is gone.

I know what you mean, and I agree. Like Straight to Heaven, it's just super smooth, lasts a good long time, and smells darn good.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...