Bought a bottle of Sauvage Elixir...

Foamywax

Basenotes Dependent
May 2, 2013
I'm kind of annoyed though ...it was Fahrenheit that I wanted but they didn't have the 100ml bottle. And to be honest I didn't want to go over budget with the elixir. But I caved in because the saleslady persuaded me in a clever way. I still got a nice discount though and man it's potent. Two sprays is more than enough. I do not like the Sauvage edt AT ALL to be honest and the elixir fixes everything I don't like about the regular edt. It's a stunning fragrance for sure. As I left the store , something peculiar happened. I found a full sample of declaration on the sidewalk somebody must have dropped it I suppose. I haven't worn declaration in 20 years . I was much younger back then then and didn't like it. Trying it again after all this time , I was stunned at how much I love it now . It seems a bit more sweet now ..was it like that back in the day? Anyway I'm happy I got the Sauvage it's just that I wanted Fahrenheit and I have never owned it.
I was watching an old luc besson film "la femme Nikita" from 1990 the other night and there was a big old bottle of Fahrenheit in two major scenes.

Foamywax

Basenotes Dependent
May 2, 2013
You mean vs sweetness? The forums weren't around back then but I thought the iso e super craze came much later..

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
You mean vs sweetness? The forums weren't around back then but I thought the iso e super craze came much later..
I wasn't thinking of the intensely sweet stuff, although I'm not a fan. I was thinking about anosmia and the way I can get it with Fahrenheit and Declaration, which can come and go, versus the way I get it with something like Sauvage Elixir, which seems to stay. But more like partial anosmia, like I know the harshness is there, but I only get it if I've been away from it.

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011
I'm kind of annoyed though ...it was Fahrenheit that I wanted but they didn't have the 100ml bottle. And to be honest I didn't want to go over budget with the elixir. But I caved in because the saleslady persuaded me in a clever way. I still got a nice discount though and man it's potent. Two sprays is more than enough. I do not like the Sauvage edt AT ALL to be honest and the elixir fixes everything I don't like about the regular edt. It's a stunning fragrance for sure. As I left the store , something peculiar happened. I found a full sample of declaration on the sidewalk somebody must have dropped it I suppose. I haven't worn declaration in 20 years . I was much younger back then then and didn't like it. Trying it again after all this time , I was stunned at how much I love it now . It seems a bit more sweet now ..was it like that back in the day? Anyway I'm happy I got the Sauvage it's just that I wanted Fahrenheit and I have never owned it.
I was watching an old luc besson film "la femme Nikita" from 1990 the other night and there was a big old bottle of Fahrenheit in two major scenes.
I'm not a fan of Elixir per se (in fact I think I could bear the EdT more than it to some extent)...

But congrats on the Declaration. Current bottles might not have the strength of previous iterations, but they still carry the Declaration DNA quite strongly in my opinion. Does the bottle have have 'DECLARATION' or 'declaration' on it?
DECLARATION is current
declaration is slightly older but not the true vintage

Foamywax

Basenotes Dependent
May 2, 2013
I wasn't thinking of the intensely sweet stuff, although I'm not a fan. I was thinking about anosmia and the way I can get it with Fahrenheit and Declaration, which can come and go, versus the way I get it with something like Sauvage Elixir, which seems to stay. But more like partial anosmia, like I know the harshness is there, but I only get it if I've been away from it.
I couldn't agree more. I bought Dior homme 2020 recently and I get anosmic to it easily.

Foamywax

Basenotes Dependent
May 2, 2013
I'm not a fan of Elixir per se (in fact I think I could bear the EdT more than it to some extent)...

But congrats on the Declaration. Current bottles might not have the strength of previous iterations, but they still carry the Declaration DNA quite strongly in my opinion. Does the bottle have have 'DECLARATION' or 'declaration' on it?
DECLARATION is current
declaration is slightly older but not the true vintage
It's a sample that I found. It would have been nice to have found a new bottle on the street..

Jul 20, 2017
While out and about a few weeks back I picked up a sample of the Elixir (not a fan of any of the other iterations of Sauvage either Foamy). I also got the nice SA to soak a tester strip and when I got home left it on my coffee table. Everytime I approached the living room I got a super pleasant waft of scent and would think what is that?, immediately remembering it was that strip. I tried it on skin and clothing and it is good but when you really dig your nose in it feels clunky and angular not at all shrill, but definitely overdosed.

It’s actually not a bad fragrance at all. Really enjoyed the contemporary spice and aromatic elements. The cardamom, liquorice and lavender work great giving a slightly coffeeish style feel. A couple of tiny sprays are plenty. With a slight breeze I got a surprise of welcome whiffs throughout the day. The drydown feels classic but modern with lavender, patchouli, amber and sandalwood. Really like the drydown.

And that tester strip is still glowing weeks later.

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
Thank you for the recommendation.
While not being into the regular EDT version of Sauvage, the more likely to appreciate this if being at once both different from the usual EDT and also with a certain 90s nostalgia factor (even better if similar to other fragrances from that particular age) as an added bonus.

Foamywax

Basenotes Dependent
May 2, 2013
While out and about a few weeks back I picked up a sample of the Elixir (not a fan of any of the other iterations of Sauvage either Foamy). I also got the nice SA to soak a tester strip and when I got home left it on my coffee table. Everytime I approached the living room I got a super pleasant waft of scent and would think what is that?, immediately remembering it was that strip. I tried it on skin and clothing and it is good but when you really dig your nose in it feels clunky and angular not at all shrill, but definitely overdosed.

It’s actually not a bad fragrance at all. Really enjoyed the contemporary spice and aromatic elements. The cardamom, liquorice and lavender work great giving a slightly coffeeish style feel. A couple of tiny sprays are plenty. With a slight breeze I got a surprise of welcome whiffs throughout the day. The drydown feels classic but modern with lavender, patchouli, amber and sandalwood. Really like the drydown.

And that tester strip is still glowing weeks later.
I couldn't agree more! I'm glad you liked it too

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Hmm..never thought of that. I still need a bottle of Fahrenheit .

And speaking of Fahrenheit, watch out for Elixir suffering the same fate as Fahrenheit Absolute. I loved Absolute, and thought there was no way Dior would drop it. Elixir may be saved by better sales numbers, but the discontinuation on FA hit fast and hard and caught many by surprise.

Foamywax

Basenotes Dependent
May 2, 2013
Really?!
Now I have to try them side by side.
The edt gives me a very strong "fresh" aromachemical vibe. I just find it nauseating. That's just my opinion though but I do find it interesting how so many people like it and it is Dior's top seller. It can't be the huge marketing budget only-people love the edt.
I'm surprised demachy created the edt and how it's attained blockbuster sales. I much prefer Bleu edt to be honest. I also do not care for the Sauvage edp. The parfum and Elixir versions are "where it's at", in my humble opinion ofcourse.
I would pick Higher, Dior homme intense or Dune over Sauvage edt without a second thought.
As for the Elixir I think it's quite wonderful and smells "expensive" when you compare it to the edt.

lfc1892

Basenotes Junkie
Dec 12, 2021
I picked up a bottle awhile back. To me, it’s straight up Oud for Greatness. I actually prefer the EDT to anything else.
I prefer Fahrenheit. Can’t for the life of me see what the hype is all about with OFG. Makes me wonder how well it would have sold without the power of YouTube

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...