Bought a bottle of M7 oud absolu | Basenotes

Bought a bottle of M7 oud absolu

Foamywax

May 2, 2013
I owned the original in late 2002 it's been a long time but I do remember it well.
The new version of M7 smells the same to me almost exactly the same.
I'm impressed with the new version.
It's a January '17 batch and performance is very good and the scent reminds me of how Tom Ford made some excellent fragrances for Gucci and YSL back in the day.
YSL was niche back then but not anymore.
Gorgeous scent definitely in my top ten.
I thinks it's a bit better than DHI.
They just don't make em like they used to.

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
I owned the original in late 2002 it's been a long time but I do remember it well.
The new version of M7 smells the same to me almost exactly the same.
I'm impressed with the new version.
It's a January '17 batch and performance is very good and the scent reminds me of how Tom Ford made some excellent fragrances for Gucci and YSL back in the day.
YSL was niche back then but not anymore.
Gorgeous scent definitely in my top ten.
I thinks it's a bit better than DHI.
They just don't make em like they used to.
Congrats on your acquisition!

Foamywax

May 2, 2013
Thank you Hednic I'm sure you own this one too.
Which Elixir fragrance are you referring to chuck?

The_Cologneist

Feb 27, 2010
It's definitely a phenomenal fragrance, forget I have it. Might have to wear it tomorrow now. I associate this one with Silentrich, as it was one of his favorites - in fact, I sent him a nice 10 ml decant of it in a trade before he passed, I'm glad to know he got to enjoy it.

As for the comparison.. personally I think it's more oud heavy and less of the cherry vibe than the original, the oud in both is very smooth though. I got my bottle for around $35 during a sale many years back, which I had stocked up.

Foamywax

May 2, 2013
I'm glad you like it too!
Maybe the original was a bit stronger I really can't remember.

Foamywax

May 2, 2013
Mine is the clear bottle. Looks nice and describes the notes on the side with the year of release. Nice touch.

Foamywax

May 2, 2013
Thanks! I just realized that the oud absolu is sweeter in the dry down compared to the vintage.

Zgb

Jan 20, 2009
I have the original M7 and the M7 Oud Absolu. In my opinion, M7 Oud Absolu lacks a bit of depth, however it's generally the same and I really appreciate it. It's still an evening fragrance, but can be worn during the day unlike the original M7 which was more dense and heavy, thus suited for colder evenings. Does the M7 Absolu replace it well? I think so, yes. It's somewhat more wearable without losing the M7 style and character.

Foamywax

May 2, 2013
Yes I have the clear bottle.
I had the original too it may have been a bit stronger but I think that the sprayer had a bigger distribution of fragrance.

Jul 7, 2012
I have the original formulation of M7 with the brown bottle (not clear sides) and a bottle of M7 Oud Absolu in the black square bottle (not the current clear bottle).

They're both great. In the air, they're so similar that there's no way the average person would notice a difference if you wore one today and the other tomorrow. They differ slightly at the very top and they differ a bit in terms of the skin scent they leave behind after they're done projecting into the air. But that isn't to suggest one is less good than the other. M7OA is certainly not a weakened M7. It's very similar to the original, but a little sweeter. M7OA takes the brashness of the original and gives it just a bit more mass appeal without dumbing it down. It's good stuff.

Foamywax

May 2, 2013
I couldn't agree more! I've only worn it once but I got good projection for sure. All I know is that they are like 98% alike to my nose. The only sneaky thing they did was make it 80ml.

Latest News