Bought 4 more today. I have a problem.

emtee

Basenotes Junkie
Jun 4, 2018
Thankfully my desire to constantly purchase new and often expensive scents is waning. I’ve spent a lot relatively speaking over the past year, mainly on older Creeds and am focusing on enjoying them for now.

congrats on your new purchases!

imm0rtelle

Basenotes Junkie
Apr 2, 2021
I feel like people need to be more tunnel visioned. Finding fragrances that resonate with you is a journey of self-discovery. I have a clear vision of what I want the fragrances to be like, so this makes it difficult for me to accept many fragrances. The pickier you are, the harder it is to buy new fragrances.

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
If it makes you feel any better, I bought eight bottles of one of my favorite fragrances for back ups in the past two weeks. Not to mention I already have about 12 back up bottles of it.
He wants to be pickled in his favorite fragrance as his last will and testament.

I want a Viking funeral with mine. Boat load of Avon, with a flaming arrow shot into it.

bigtyivier2k2

Basenotes Dependent
May 7, 2011
If it makes you feel any better, I bought eight bottles of one of my favorite fragrances for back ups in the past two weeks. Not to mention I already have about 12 back up bottles of it.
Cant blame you. If I could go back in time Id get that many backups of Aventus from 2010-2013 and Dolce Gabbana Pour Homme Euroitalia

lair77

Jun 7, 2022
Just make sure you can pay your bills otherwise you ll be in real trouble.

Not just pay bills. But also
  • Fully pay off any loans or car payments
  • Have an emergency fund of 3 months worth of living expenses.
  • Put equity into a home.
  • Contribute to a retirement fund.
All of these are more important than buying full bottles of fragrances you'll probably only use 5% of anyway.

Monsieur Montana

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 14, 2015
All of these are more important than buying full bottles of fragrances you'll probably only use 5% of anyway.
Those are all expenses. Bills. I was talking generally.

Pippin06

always learning--often laughing
Basenotes Plus
Feb 8, 2017
Wise advice. I'd add always pay cash to your list. (y) We need some pleasures along the way too. :)

Pippin06

always learning--often laughing
Basenotes Plus
Feb 8, 2017
A woody Grey Vetiver is the best I can come up.
This is how I would describe it too, though not receiving any compliments when I wear this beauty. So, when I wear B.I., I just continue to compliment myself. ;) "My, you smell nice today, Classics4me!" "Why, thank you Classics4me. So kind of you to say."

Last edited:

sproaty

Feb 23, 2017
The issue of asking such a question here is that many of us will be in a similar position as the OP so we're not going to say "that's crazy!", as we're more likely to exhibit such behaviours ourselves. Sorta like an echo chamber of sorts.
(this coming from a guy with over 10 backup bottles of Kouros, amongst many others....)

This is very sound advice.

motorcade

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 21, 2020
It happens!

I will admit I've spent "unhealthy amounts" on fragrance during the last two years. I say unhealthy, because if suddenly faced with a major life crisis (like prolonged unemployment), it would probably prove more useful to have that money in savings rather than trapped inside bottles.

lfc1892

Basenotes Junkie
Dec 12, 2021
So could the whole fragrance buying thing have a blurred line with addiction? One like many others out there that require buying things, along with the dopamine hit that comes them.

motorcade

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 21, 2020
So could the whole fragrance buying thing have a blurred line with addiction? One like many others out there that require buying things, along with the dopamine hit that comes them.
I can certainly recognize the connection, although I can only speak for myself of course. The dopamine surge is definitely involved (as no doubt is the case with many other hobbies too and part of what makes them fun).

I should add, my fragrance buying has been driven not only by impulse but the cold fact that the vintage supply is drying out. I jumped late into the game, so it's "impossible" to stretch the expenditure across the next decade or whatever. It would not be just fear of missing out but actually missing out. :)

bigtyivier2k2

Basenotes Dependent
May 7, 2011
Buy Bois Imperial.

And retire from buying.

That’s what I have done
Thank for this… now I dont wanna wear anything other then Bois Imperial. And the addiction curbed in the sense of I want no new fragrance but now want backup bottles of Bois Imperial just in case it gets reformulated

Mar 26, 2022
Another +1 for sampling first. I'm an indie perfumer and while it would be great for me if everyone would just blind buy a full bottle or two, preferably in the larger size, I really encourage people to buy samples first. Not so much because I'm afraid of disappointing them (I've learned that people who buy blind generally come away happy, at least where mine are concerned) but because I like to surprise people with things they don't expect to love. If you just buy things you think you're going to want a full bottle of you're eventually going to be 1) wrong and 2) stuck in a rut and missing out on the wonder of discovering something truly new to you that you would never have expected to like. Also I think sampling encourages people to take a chance on brands that may not be as widely known or reviewed.

cheapimitation

Basenotes Dependent
May 15, 2015
Not so much because I'm afraid of disappointing them (I've learned that people who buy blind generally come away happy, at least where mine are concerned) but because I like to surprise people with things they don't expect to love. If you just buy things you think you're going to want a full bottle of you're eventually going to be 1) wrong and 2) stuck in a rut and missing out on the wonder of discovering something truly new to you that you would never have expected to like.
I like this point. Whenever I'm at a fragrance counter without a specific thing I want to try in mind and they ask what do I like, I hesitate to say anything. First, because I can like just about anything as long as it is well done and second because I want to discover something I wouldn't have thought to try. I know it's not very helpful to the SA but I always draw a blank when they ask this, even though I know very well what I like.

I also know that my likes are more about qualities of a perfume then the notes, I know I don't like very heavy, loud, bitter, mundane, rough, generic etc etc

Maybe one time I should try listing off all the things I don't like and see what happens lol. Give me your loudest sweetest powder bomb!

Latest News