Bottles....how much do they influence your decision to buy?

Sloth

Jan 11, 2019
There are lots of gorgeous and classy bottles out there. Bottles that would really look great in anyone's display (if indeed you do display them).
However, there are also some foul smelling juices in some of them, juices that, if used as smelling salts would revive Tutankhamen himself and have him running down the street shouting 'scrubber...scrubber...'

So, how much do you allow (or wish) the packaging, especially the bottle itself, to influence your decision to purchase?

Are you a collector in the true sense that you don't have to even like something providing it fits into the category of what you collect.
Are you more about smelling good, therefore only buy what you like, regardless of packaging?

I personally do sometimes become 'influenced' on some level, by nice bottles but manage to restrain myself from buying a fragrance purely based on sexy bottles.
I would never buy a juice I didn't like and didn't think I'd wear and enjoy, regardless of packaging but if I like it and it also has a nice bottle then that's a bonus, a win win for me!

What about you?

Do you collect bottles or fragrances?

GoldWineMemories

Nov 22, 2019
I believe the only way to approach this objectively would be if you smelled a fragrance or fragrances without any reference to the brand, name, or bottling. In other words I think the bottle is quite important to the overall idea of the scent as is the name of the perfume, and unfortunately the brand it comes form. If Dior released Jicky as "Morning Joy", and relased it in the bottling Joy come in, then people would hate it.

chopwet

Jun 14, 2012
IMHO the juice is far more important but I do appreciate a nice bottle, especially those with a big of heft, I think I enjoy the tactililty of nice bottles more than their appearances. You could sell me great fragrances in Listerine bottles and I'd be happy cough*Guerlain*cough

I love the Dunhill Icon series of bottles and some of them smell ok, nothing wrong but perhaps a bit generic (I can't remember which one I preferred and I'm not sure I've tried them all) but I just can't bring myself to buy them for the bottle alone.

33869776_10155668127805369_5828992965451710464_n.jpg

Emanuel76

Jun 16, 2018
When I'm buying a bottle, the bottle design has zero influence, even if, in general, I really appreciate the aesthetics.
It has influence, in some cases, when I choose what to test.

For example, I loved the bottle of Tiziana Terenzi - Porpora. That intense red high quality bottle stirs passions, especially when we talk about a rose fragrance - it fit perfectly.
It was said to be similar to POAL. I already owned POAL. If it was a top quality perfume, even if a little bit redundant for me, I would have bought it.
Unfortunately, they preferred to saturate it with fixatives to achieve top performances, in the detriment of the smell. It's unbearable for a few hours. But, indeed, the performances are extreme.
I never cared about it since.

tiziana-terenzi-porpora-100-ml~42092.jpg

The same with The Merchant of Venice - Arabesque. Awesome bottle design, attractive name, but the smell doesn't excite me.
BTW, I tested it first because of the bottle's design (and the tobacco note, and the name), even if other perfumes from the same line (Vinegia and Fenicia) seemed more suited to my taste.

Arabesque-By-The-Merchant-Of-Venice.jpg

I love Etro's bottles design, but they also deliver quality juice.

etro-palais-jamais-apa-de-toaleta-50-ml-180695.jpg

Well, of course, I chose the small bottle (50ml) of The Different Company - Bois d'Iris because it looks better than the bulky 100ml bottle. But that's because I had where to chose from. I liked the perfume first of all.

tlrwuy92dmyb.jpg

Montana Black Edition has a horrible looking bottle. But I love the juice.
I wanted to change the bottle, but it's a 125 ml, so it's hard to find one.
I threw away the cap. And that's it. Now it doesn't look so monstrous anymore.

o.21803.jpg

I really appreciate a beautiful bottle, but the bottle design it's not a factor when deciding to buy perfumes.

Last edited:

Nom de Guerre

Jan 2, 2020
I'm a sucker for clear glass and understated design – Chanel Les Exclusifs, Maison Christian Dior Perfumes, even Le Labo. Not a fan of Frederic Malle labels, but I like their new limited edition bottles. A lot of people dislike the Serge Lutens black bottles but I find them very appealing in an austere matter. Diptique has gorgeous illustrations on their bottles, the form is also nice.

Kaern

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 2, 2008
Not really -- unless they have huge antlers protruding from the top

However, I have just noticed how awkward the 100ml Bond #9 bottles are to hold and spray. Their 50ml bottles are ok though.

StylinLA

Aug 9, 2009
Back in the dark days pre-internet and fragrance forums, bottles often caught my eye and played a part in influencing me.

But in the time since joining Basenotes and other forums, the bottle plays zero part in my decision.

I do not prominently display my frags per se, so attractive or cool bottles have no real value to me.

I do appreciate a nice bottle but it doesn't factor into any buying decisions at all. A lot of my favorites are in really minimally designed bottles.
It's a bit of a generalization, but designer scents tend to put a lot more emphasis on bottle and packaging design.

LUBIN IDOLE and JOVOY PRIVATE LABEL are the only two bottles I have that I think are really amazing.

ILikePeeps

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 15, 2012
Who are we kidding - heavily! Haha.
It would be neat to smell stuff 'blindly', but that opportunity doesn't happen much. I suppose you can acquire a bunch of samples, and spray one on without looking at what it is. See what your mind thinks without a lot of preconceived notion.

incense+heliotrope

Nov 20, 2017
+1 for Emanuel76's vote for Etro bottles and their contents. They fit the hand nicely.

Likewise the Gucci Guilty range bottles, almost like a hip flask. Shame about the juice - GGA is the only one I own and love.

The Jacomo de Jacomo bottle irritates the hell out me - flip top lid that won't stay down, awkward sprayer, and bottle so opaque there seems no way to tell how much is left apart from by weight. However, the contents are one of my very favourites, so it gets a pass.

The tops of CdG bottles are often annoying to remove : Black, and the Incense Series for starters.
Same issue with Boucheron Jaipur : annoying hard to remove cap, this combined with rather tacky bottle design.

It would seem that bottle appearance and design play little part in my enjoyment of fragrances. Though when bottle and contents align, it's even better.

BlindFuryFragFanatic

Jun 27, 2020
The bottle doesnt matter to me. Only the juice matters. If the bottle happens to be nice then thats fine, but paying for Swarovski crystal is not my thing. I'd rather just have the decant then.

motorcade

Dec 21, 2020
I don't think bottle appearance could ever sway my buying decision one way of the other, at least on a conscious level. That said, there may have been a rare case, where I've picked a 50ml vs. 100ml bottle (or vice versa) based on how it would look in my cabinet, in the slot that I've envisioned for it.

The Bark

Jan 24, 2003
I buy a lot of things un-sniffed, particularly if they're from a house I'm familiar with. A lot of the Middle Eastern houses have some over-the-top presentations, but I always go on notes first and foremost. This below, happens to be one from Al Haramain that I've had very good success with regarding their attars.

The notes on this were quite enticing: Top notes are Cypriol Oil or Nagarmotha, Bergamot, Plum, Aldehydes and Mango; middle notes are Rose, Geranium, Saffron, Ylang-Ylang, Jasmine, Orris Root and Lily-of-the-Valley; base notes are Agarwood (Oud), Sandalwood, Cedar, Musk, Amber, Rose and Vanilla.

Unfortunately, the fruits come across a bit muted and the whole thing feels dark/woody. I don't get much florals and the orris sticks out. I love the bottle, I just wish the scent lived up to it - though I do confess, I haven't worn it a lot. The last few times, I've gotten more and more out of it. I need to give it another go, soon.

fullsizeoutput_119d.jpg

motorcade

Dec 21, 2020
The Bark, that's one stunning looking bottle you've got there! Too bad the scent didn't turn out to be quite as beautiful for you.

speckmann0706

Mar 8, 2017
I made this mistake exactly 1 time back in 2010 when Bvlgari Man was released. I liked the juice, but really loved the heavy bottle. It had a good atomizer as well. I ended up using around 1/3 of it before selling it off.

View attachment 145924

Your lucky usually those sprayers eventually spray like a squirt gun haha, their fragrances are decent but suffer from bad performance reason I avoid them. Bvlgari Pour Homme Extreme is excellent but they discontinued it go figure!

ccdan

May 7, 2017
Zero decision to buy as the juice is why a buy a fragrance or not. But I do appreciate a nice bottle.

Though I have to admit that one of my first fragrances, Bvlgari BLV, was bought mainly for the bottle - I liked it a lot about two decades ago(and I still find it stylish)

Latest News