Boots

finsfan

Aug 6, 2003
I have four pairs of boots in the last year or so. All in the brown family. One, my fave, are Double H and are rubber-soled and I think they are work boots. Another is Lucchesse Ostrich ropers, and then some Frye side zip harness boots. Then I got a pair of Allen Edmonds Normandy but do not like the laceup feature nor how they look. Not into the Redwing Iron Rangers look or the Irish Setters.

So I am thinking since all of my boots are brown, and I have no black shoes other than dress (a pair of Ferragamo bit loafers are too dressy with jeans), maybe a black pair are in order. In this regard, I am torn between a pair of Dan Post Mignon black leather or Ariat Heritage Ropers. Would wear them with jeans and khakis and occassional blue dress pants and a sweater. I am thinking Caiman is way out there and would probably work better for me in a brown. Lizard, I am warming up to and would consider Tecovas if they had black.

The stitching on the Dan Post may not work with a dressier pair of pants,but the slightly taller heel in the back made the boots feel comfortable. My feet rest more on the ball of the foot and not as much pressure on the arch. Sorta like how the Lucchesse are. The Ariat is a lower heel being a roper and is more like the Double H.

Pros of the Dan Post: I like the look and the heel. Downside, that slick leather sole.
pics here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dan-Post-B...3-Cowboy-Boots-DP2110-Mens-9-5-D/293723535285

Pros of the Ariats: Probably more comfortable if I am going to be on my feet all day. Rubber sole, orthotic insert they have. $40 cheaper.
pics here: https://www.ariat.com/HERITAGE_ROPER_M_FOO.html?dwvar_HERITAGE__ROPER__M__FOO_color=BLACK

Alternative is a pair of Black Frye side or back zip; The toe and vamp area will be smooth, no lacing or ornamentation. However, I will be unable to try them on since they are not in my city. pics here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/254732707722?ViewItem=&item=254732707722

Wife did not like suede or the chelsea style and I am not wanting chukkas

Anyone got any suggestions?

finsfan

Aug 6, 2003
What about a Lucchese Black Goat? classy, dressy and casual, comfortable.

Im thinking of a black Lucchese I saw locally. Dont know if it is goat or not. It is smooth. If I go brown, Ill get another Lucchese for sure. But for black, I don't know how often I would wear it vis-a-vis the brown. The double H I wear twice as much as any other shoe. Very much a casual shoe but it goes with everything. Then the Lucchese Ostrich, yes, it is casual and more Western/cowboy.

Just not wrapping my head around black, Wife says I need it. I look good with a black sweater in winter or navy blue.

Danny Mitchell

Mar 21, 2019

finsfan

Aug 6, 2003
Oh, yes. I might get a brown lizard pair or caiman down the line. I just have a pair of Allen Edmond Normandy boots and the workboot is not what I like, feel or aesthetically. Id love a harness boot for some days I feel like sh*t-kicking, lol. I have dress balmoral captoes and blucher for dress, and Ferragamo bit loafers for sportscoats. Never liked how those shoes paired with jeans. Loafers for khakis, I have Cole Haan drivers in brown. Put I have a slate blue pair of wool trousers and I can dress them up with the Ferragamos but sometimes I want a less formal shoe. Frye had some side zip but I cant try them on locally. At least the ariats I could and there little bit of sticthing on the toe does not scream out and yet, the roper heel and feel to it make it comfortable and a little whimsical. I can thrown them on when wife and I go out to a nice place to eat, or we go to a concert or Broadway play when they open up, or heck, jeans and a sweater at a game. Kinda ditching the tennis shoe look and also selling some allbirds

Yes, the deal kinda made me pull the trigger. But Tecovas, Luchesse or a pair of Dan Post Mignon boots I saw locally down the road

Gladiolus

Sep 4, 2020
I have a brown Lucchese. This stylish and versatile shoe goes well with dresses (I am a fan of floral prints) and jeans (I choose gray or navy).

Latest News