Bois Imperial by Essential Parfums (Quentin Bisch)

bigtyivier2k2

Basenotes Dependent
May 7, 2011
I ended up ordering it directly from Essential Parfum and got it today. I started to really love the sample after sampling more. And the price was right $58 after the $20 coupon they gave me for ordering the discovery set. I wonder how this will do in fall/winter? Since where I live summer is over.
It will do amazing. Its a beast un any weather and a masterpiece

Rock72

Apr 30, 2019
Got mine today. Only tested on my forearm. And it’s nuclear. Filled the room. Even hours later when I went to the store, I could smell it through my jacket. I like it so far. But my question is, how many sprays do you use? 2?

kelvon

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 26, 2008
Got mine today. Only tested on my forearm. And it’s nuclear. Filled the room. Even hours later when I went to the store, I could smell it through my jacket. I like it so far. But my question is, how many sprays do you use? 2?
I agree I wore it for the first time last night with 3 sprays and definitely lasted all night when I went out and even in the morning I still smelled it when I woke up

Mar 26, 2022
While it's understandable that people might be cynical given the history of brands being evasive about reformulations, I would suggest the changes are most likely due to the composition of the diulent (or a simple correction at they claim) as opposed to stealth inflation. Keep in mind, for most commercial fragrances the cost of the juice (including alcohol) is generally around 3-4% of the retail price. Radically lowering the concentration without telling people would be a terrible way to deal with that, since it wouldn't really save much money but would destroy the brand's reputation. Finally, a fragrance that was 27% concentrate (or a bit less if you assume 5% water in perfumers alcohol) would be sold as a parfum extrait, so it seems unlikely it was that high in the first place. 80% is exactly what one would expect for an EDP-strength fragrance diluted in standard perfumers' alcohol along with some additives to prevent UV degredation, etc.

Pippin06

always learning--often laughing
Basenotes Plus
Feb 8, 2017
Its a compliment monster. The only time I have seen this many compliments with a fragrance was Aventus from 2011-2013. Compliments almost everytime I wear i

2 sprays is enough.

Pippin06

Basenotes Plus
Feb 8, 2017
Bois Imperial, to me, is the strongest perfume I've owned in the over 40 years I've been wearing fragrances. It's a great perfume
IMO, but I'm learning that even 2 sprays is a bit much, as it projects like none other I've found. From now on, 1 spray of this perfume for me. It makes aramis look like cotton candy. ;)

kelvon

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 26, 2008
Bois Imperial, to me, is the strongest perfume I've owned in the over 40 years I've been wearing fragrances. It's a great perfume
IMO, but I'm learning that even 2 sprays is a bit much, as it projects like none other I've found. From now on, 1 spray of this perfume for me. It makes aramis look like cotton candy. ;)

really even stronger then elixir? that is probably strongest i own it is nuclear on me even 1 spray can knock out a room lol

i do find this one strong but did 4 sprays last night and seemed ok

Pippin06

Basenotes Plus
Feb 8, 2017
really even stronger then elixir? that is probably strongest i own it is nuclear on me even 1 spray can knock out a room lol

i do find this one strong but did 4 sprays last night and seemed ok
No experience with Elixer. Am only wearing 1 spray of Bois Imperial this morning, and it's just right for me. One day recently, had on 3 sprays, and while outside, 2 colleagues commented I was wearing a bit much.

kelvon

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 26, 2008
No experience with Elixer. Am only wearing 1 spray of Bois Imperial this morning, and it's just right for me. One day recently, had on 3 sprays, and while outside, 2 colleagues commented I was wearing a bit much.

Just curious when you do 1 spray where do you do it? I think the sweet spot for me is 2-3. Two if indoors, and 3 if outdoors, but maybe I am pushing it not really sure.

oudaddict

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 2, 2017
Try Thomas Kosmala's Après L'Amour No.4 🤯

bigtyivier2k2

Basenotes Dependent
May 7, 2011
I really dont understand what Quentin Bisch put into Bois Imperial to get the reactions is does, I never seen anything like it since Aventus in 2010-2013.

Right now I was at a supermarket paying and an older lady behind the register pulled down her mask and says ‘you smell soooo good’. I just smiled at her and out of nowehere I hear ‘excuse me’ and see another lady walking down towards me and asks ‘omg what cologne are you wearing? Im so sorry but it smells so good’ and hands me her phone to put into google

ToughCool

More Cool Than Tough
Basenotes Plus
Jun 12, 2008
I honestly don’t get this at all. I did a blind buy and unfortunately I’m very disappointed because I’ve smelled like many iterations of this and that annoying tickle of the nose makes it unbearable with a half a spray.

1) Initial blast and hints in the drydown smell like Deep Woods Off. No joke. It’s just marinating in my sinuses

2) It’s got the DNA of Amouage Journey Man: It has that pestering pepper/dry tobacco( 2 notes I like separately ) that singes the sinuses

3) It’s got the DNA of Fragonard Desert that also has a dry tobacco/spice that is overbearing. At least with Desert the sweetness saves it.

4) It’s got the DNA of Grey Vetiver but with amped up spicy/bite.

Maybe I’m adverse to strong Vetiver or dry tobacco type scents but overall the hype I’m reading doesn’t make sense to me and I like most everything a little. Am I missing something? I don’t get “woody” at all in this.

I’ll give it a plus on strength. My wrist has half a spray and it’s nuclear!....like Deep Woods Off

Last edited:

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
I honestly don’t get this at all. I did a blind buy and unfortunately I’m very disappointed because I’ve smelled like many iterations of this and that annoying tickle of the nose makes it unbearable with a half a spray.

1) Initial blast and hints in the drydown smell like Deep Woods Off. No joke. It’s just marinating in my sinuses

2) It’s got the DNA of Amouage Journey Man: It has that pestering pepper/dry tobacco( 2 notes I like separately ) that singes the sinuses

3) It’s got the DNA of Fragonard Desert that also has a dry tobacco/spice that is overbearing. At least with Desert the sweetness saves it.

4) It’s got the DNA of Grey Vetiver but with amped up spicy/bite.

Maybe I’m adverse to strong Vetiver or dry tobacco type scents but overall the hype I’m reading doesn’t make sense to me and I like most everything a little. Am I missing something? I don’t get “woody” at all in this.

I’ll give it a plus on strength. My wrist has half a spray and it’s nuclear!....like Deep Woods Off
Yeah, basically my reaction. Strong bug spray vibes.

I've had a jokey rant going in the Friday sync thread about how persistent this stuff is - after about 10 hours of nuclear projection last time I wore it, I eventually had to scrub it off in the shower. Despite only wearing two light sprays from a decant and giving myself a thorough scrub, when I got out of the shower it was still so strong on my skin that it managed to contaminate the bath towel and my bedsheets to the point where it was obviously detectable the next day. I washed my t-shirt on hot, with an extra rinse cycle, and 10 days later (!) I put the clean shirt on and the screeching BI smell was still strong enough to give me an instant headache. My new theory is that most people are just anosmic to whatever molecules are overdosed here, and those of us who can smell it just have a really rough ride. Wear with caution!

I own and wear a lot of vetiver scents without issue, including some that heavily rely on ISO E and vetiveryl acetate, so I don't think it's the vetiver note. Here, I suspect it's either the akigalawood or whatever "georgywood" is (or some other unlisted molecule), and the ambroxan base seems to quietly boost longevity to insane levels. I agree this doesn't really smell woody so much as aggressively peppery, more of a harsh chemical smell than anything.

Glad some folks love it, but I suspect we'll see more of these reactions as this stuff grows in popularity. I had a similar reaction to Gucci Guilty Absolute, for what it's worth; I actually enjoyed the scent profile, but something in the top notes came off as screeching and caused an instant headache.

EDIT: in defense of Bois Imperial, my daughter smelled it on me the other day and said she loved it, literally describing it as "the best scent you've tried." So there's that at least!

bigtyivier2k2

Basenotes Dependent
May 7, 2011
Yeah, basically my reaction. Strong bug spray vibes.

I've had a jokey rant going in the Friday sync thread about how persistent this stuff is - after about 10 hours of nuclear projection last time I wore it, I eventually had to scrub it off in the shower. Despite only wearing two light sprays from a decant and giving myself a thorough scrub, when I got out of the shower it was still so strong on my skin that it managed to contaminate the bath towel and my bedsheets to the point where it was obviously detectable the next day. I washed my t-shirt on hot, with an extra rinse cycle, and 10 days later (!) I put the clean shirt on and the screeching BI smell was still strong enough to give me an instant headache. My new theory is that most people are just anosmic to whatever molecules are overdosed here, and those of us who can smell it just have a really rough ride. Wear with caution!

I own and wear a lot of vetiver scents without issue, including some that heavily rely on ISO E and vetiveryl acetate, so I don't think it's the vetiver note. Here, I suspect it's either the akigalawood or whatever "georgywood" is (or some other unlisted molecule), and the ambroxan base seems to quietly boost longevity to insane levels. I agree this doesn't really smell woody so much as aggressively peppery, more of a harsh chemical smell than anything.

Glad some folks love it, but I suspect we'll see more of these reactions as this stuff grows in popularity. I had a similar reaction to Gucci Guilty Absolute, for what it's worth; I actually enjoyed the scent profile, but something in the top notes came off as screeching and caused an instant headache.

EDIT: in defense of Bois Imperial, my daughter smelled it on me the other day and said she loved it, literally describing it as "the best scent you've tried." So there's that at least!
Lmaoo I was just on vacation in Miami and after being in the ocean for over an hour I got out just as a friend came over to our hotel beach to join us and says ‘yoo I can still smell your cologne even after you came out of the ocean’

One of the nights I’m on a packed elevator and lady gets in one one of the floor, standing next to me and after about 15 seconds goes ‘someone in here smells really good’ and 10 more seconds goes by and the same lady goes ‘no, like seriously someone here smells really really good. My girlfriend and I just looked at eachother and smiled

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...