Bogue profumo / Antonio Gardoni consolidated thread

24 Faubourg

Aug 19, 2015
Recently discovered this house and am really enjoying it! I have MEM and I Love YY and planning to buy MAAI and O/E. I tried Douleur! but don't quite know what to make of it. It has some elements I like but so many I don't. I don't know if I'll come around to it or not.

I wish there were more non limited fragrances to buy from this house.

Macsrul

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 22, 2017
Recently discovered this house and am really enjoying it! I have MEM and I Love YY and planning to buy MAAI and O/E. I tried Douleur! but don't quite know what to make of it. It has some elements I like but so many I don't. I don't know if I'll come around to it or not.

I wish there were more non limited fragrances to buy from this house.

I just added I love YY to go with MEM and MAAI is for my birthday in October ! I love MAAI when I tested it last year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

avo1811

Dec 6, 2018
Glad you're loving the house! It's my favorite.

Anyone who got OOH decants from Strifeknot, how are you liking it? I'm still wearing the rest of the bottle and loving it.

Only tried it once and really liked it, but not as much as MeM i dont think. Kind of hard for me to get really good opinions on new stuff this past month cuz my allergies have been so bad. I think im going to wait until i can breathe and smell again before i give it another wear.

24 Faubourg

Aug 19, 2015
It's climbing up there on my favorites list too! Also very excited for any new releases. Hopefully, buyable, non limited ones.... hahaha.

freewheelingvagabond

Jun 10, 2012
I have tried three so far, MAAI, T-Rex and Mem, and I like them in that order. I have a bottle of MAAI, and I might get a bottle of T-Rex. I'm not sure if like Mem enough to think about a bottle. I have also tried Cadavre Exquis, but that was very briefly in San Francisco at Tigerlily (great store, btw).

24 Faubourg

Aug 19, 2015
T-Rex I didn't love, interestingly enough and was the reason I didn't check out this house seriously for too long. I love Zoologist, and admittedly I've never skin tested it, but even as a lover of challenging fragrances, there's something about T-Rex I can't do, that I can't quite put my finger on.

I love MAAI, MEM, I Love YY, and O/E though and find them all FBW.

Mak-7

Sep 19, 2019
I am admittedly a fan oh his darker style of blends. Maai still holds #1spot for me.
Pulled my sample of OooH to check it again after some time untouched. It is nice, but runs alongside Mem, Il Dieci maybe even YY which i didnt try. Its light bright white floral, woody and a little spicy composition thats easy to wear.
Need Antonio to release some darkness next.

Proust_Madeleine

Apr 5, 2019
T-Rex I didn't love, interestingly enough and was the reason I didn't check out this house seriously for too long. I love Zoologist, and admittedly I've never skin tested it, but even as a lover of challenging fragrances, there's something about T-Rex I can't do, that I can't quite put my finger on.

I love MAAI, MEM, I Love YY, and O/E though and find them all FBW.

My guess is you won't get along with Douleur if you didn't like T Rex... That rose oxide!

Mak-7

Sep 19, 2019
My guess is you won't get along with Douleur if you didn't like T Rex... That rose oxide!

But they are 2 different compositions though. One is smokey, another one is clovey rosy perfume.
Anubis by papillon perfumes is better interpretation of TRex i say

Proust_Madeleine

Apr 5, 2019
But they are 2 different compositions though. One is smokey, another one is clovey rosy perfume.
Anubis by papillon perfumes is better interpretation of TRex i say

Too true that they're very different! Just my two cents. Both are extremely overpowering. I've come to love them both.

Interesting that you see similarities in Anubis and T Rex. I find Anubis closer to Black No. 1 from HoM. But I find all three FBW and masterpieces, along with HYDE by Hiram Green. I really love dark, mysterious and smoky. So maybe I'm the wrong person to ask.

Mak-7

Sep 19, 2019
If you spray 1 to the wrist itll behave :thumbsup:

Dont remember black #1 but to me anubis, trex and even old formula of Interlude were in one line style wise, just different accents placed on nuances.

Hyde is sinister, adults only scent. I do enjoy it very much.

24 Faubourg

Aug 19, 2015

I actually can’t decide if I love or hate Douleur! When I first tried it months ago briefly I actually didn’t hate it, then last time I tried it I flip flopped back between love and hate. I can see myself getting along with Douleur before T Rex, which is strange since I usually love dark and smokey fragrances. Only can think of a select few that don’t do well with me and one of my favorites is one I hated at first but came to love and consider very highly. Maybe I should skin test T Rex sometime.... even if just to figure out what doesn’t work about it.

I have and love Burning Ben which I wouldn’t say is the same but luckyscent describes it as a toned down T Rex... hm

Oud Dude

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 22, 2018
Interesting that you see similarities in Anubis and T Rex. I find Anubis closer to Black No. 1 from HoM. But I find all three FBW and masterpieces, along with HYDE by Hiram Green. I really love dark, mysterious and smoky. So maybe I'm the wrong person to ask.

Very much get the Black No.1/Anubis comp- something about the leather/suede accord which really isn't present in T-Rex. T-Rex for me, is more about the cade, metallic rose, "submerged" florals with whatever leather there is being more of the charred variety. Haha.

Hyde is sinister, adults only scent. I do enjoy it very much.

And yeah, Hyde is something special. I'm a sucker for smoke and Hyde is simplistically addictive.

24 Faubourg

Aug 19, 2015
Oud Dude, you just made me realize why TRex might not work for me. Leather.

Typically leathers don't do well with me for whatever reason.

24 Faubourg

Aug 19, 2015
Ahhh! Interesting... and T-Rex is anything BUT a typical leather so it would stand to reason that a leather on crazy steroids like T-Rex would NOT be in your wheelhouse.

I still want to give it a proper try someday but leather is one of those it’s that only works on rare occasions for me. Oud being another. I’m always excited to find a fragrance with either of these notes that works well. I found an oud one recently, at least.

I was so fixated on the smokiness of T Rex and usually love smokey fragrances but now it makes more sense what wasn’t clicking.

Macsrul

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 22, 2017
Too true that they're very different! Just my two cents. Both are extremely overpowering. I've come to love them both.

I love Anubis and I need to try Hyde

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sipy63

Jan 23, 2019
So I recently purchased my first bottle of MEM and confirm its an absolute beauty. A whole spectrum of lavender that I really appreciate, you can smell the earthiness and green in the plant itself. Support this with some herbs and you create a beautiful sticky spa like experience. The ylang is there to carry it through and I can pick up on the animalics in the first few minutes. Great composition.

Got a sample of MAAI and I dont know what I was expecting but it wasnt this. Old, dusty, aldehydes and tuberose. My brain was waiting to get hit by some heavy pissy/leathery notes but none came. Need some time with this, will give it another shot in the winter.

-------------------

Planning on sampling some more Papillon (anubis) and Hiram Green (hyde) but have my eyes set on trex. Fell in love at first sniff with that smoke and resin bomb and immediately detected some sort of the same DNA in MEM. Curious in hyde - how far it sways towards incense rather than casting a shadow of smoke over florals as trex does.

Proust_Madeleine

Apr 5, 2019
So I recently purchased my first bottle of MEM and confirm its an absolute beauty. A whole spectrum of lavender that I really appreciate, you can smell the earthiness and green in the plant itself. Support this with some herbs and you create a beautiful sticky spa like experience. The ylang is there to carry it through and I can pick up on the animalics in the first few minutes. Great composition.

Got a sample of MAAI and I dont know what I was expecting but it wasnt this. Old, dusty, aldehydes and tuberose. My brain was waiting to get hit by some heavy pissy/leathery notes but none came. Need some time with this, will give it another shot in the winter.

-------------------

Planning on sampling some more Papillon (anubis) and Hiram Green (hyde) but have my eyes set on trex. Fell in love at first sniff with that smoke and resin bomb and immediately detected some sort of the same DNA in MEM. Curious in hyde - how far it sways towards incense rather than casting a shadow of smoke over florals as trex does.

I’d say Hyde goes heavily into honeyed leather and something slightly salty underneath the smoke BOMB! It’s start to go a bit closer to Slowdive as the drydown comes on.

Mak-7

Sep 19, 2019
Dont want to scare anyone away, but that "salty" note reminds me of flesh, like raw soon to rot meat. It is a honeyed birchtar over that raw flesh with camphorous zing. Dont get slowdive in drydown personally, as my skin elevates smoky notes, not sweetness.
But please sample it and post your opinion on it.

Proust_Madeleine

Apr 5, 2019
Dont want to scare anyone away, but that "salty" note reminds me of flesh, like raw soon to rot meat. It is a honeyed birchtar over that raw flesh with camphorous zing. Dont get slowdive in drydown personally, as my skin elevates smoky notes, not sweetness.
But please sample it and post your opinion on it.

Dang! That’s wild. But it makes sense, naturals tend to react to skin chemistry more than stable synthetics. Doesn’t surprise me that this would get wildly different results from different people.

Proust_Madeleine

Apr 5, 2019
Just watched the Bogue Interview on Insta-live and asked about whether he's dealt with any reformulation stuff with IFRA. He said not yet, he hasn't been doing it long enough to be effected but that it might happen soon, depending. He also said all his scents change from batch to batch because he uses way too many different naturals and each batch smells different year to year. He said there will never be a batch of Maai that smells the exact same to any other one. He laughed and had the attitude of, "I'm so crazy, why do I do this to myself?" But he said naturals were his first love so he still uses a majority of natural ingredients and showcases synthetics when he uses them, like aldehydes in Maai and Rose Oxide in Douleur... sort of the reverse of the Oud houses that use a star natural supported and framed by synthetics.

He is absolutely lovely. A real artist.

(He also mentioned that he's never thought of any of his scents as vintage)

I'll post the Youtube link when they put it up.

Last edited:

24 Faubourg

Aug 19, 2015
I ended up trying T Rex again yesterday, just on paper again this time.

I have to say, I liked it a lot more than I remember. But I still can't see it being a fragrance that's easily wearable. Maybe it performs different on skin? It's strange since even the greatest powerhouses I've tried I always wish were turned up a notch, but T Rex -- on paper at least -- seems to be the one and only I felt was too much to wear. It fits well with the theme though.

How is it on skin? I feel a slightly more moderate (yet still strong) version of this could be something I'd really like...

Sipy63

Jan 23, 2019

I have to say, I liked it a lot more than I remember. But I still can't see it being a fragrance that's easily wearable. Maybe it performs different on skin? It's strange since even the greatest powerhouses I've tried I always wish were turned up a notch, but T Rex -- on paper at least -- seems to be the one and only I felt was too much to wear. It fits well with the theme though.

How is it on skin? I feel a slightly more moderate (yet still strong) version of this could be something I'd really like...

Absolute love for me. Went 3 sprays the other night and basked in it. The first hour is for lack of a better term overwhelming if youre not used to cade but it has this odd and addictive bag of nickels/irony vibe going for it. This eventually dies down as the smoke fades into a basket of florals, hidden. Its really great.

Mak-7

Sep 19, 2019

Wear 1 spray on wrists, see if it is strong enough or not. Then try one to the chest. Observe and compare. I wear on skin only since its plays better with heat.
Finally, save it for deep fall or winter time. Clothes will create another barrier and will keep you safe from suffocating, but will give you pleasant wafts while moving around. I wont wear trex or anubis when its warm.

Proust_Madeleine

Apr 5, 2019
Wear 1 spray on wrists, see if it is strong enough or not. Then try one to the chest. Observe and compare. I wear on skin only since its plays better with heat.
Finally, save it for deep fall or winter time. Clothes will create another barrier and will keep you safe from suffocating, but will give you pleasant wafts while moving around. I wont wear trex or anubis when its warm.

Great advice, Mak-7!

KBF1972

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 23, 2013
I was able to source full bottles Il Dieci X and 07738 which are on their way to me now. I can’t wait and will report back when I receive them!

Staff online

Latest News