Bogue profumo / Antonio Gardoni consolidated thread

Proust_Madeleine

Apr 5, 2019
Well, I’m finally coming round the bend with Douleur! So is partner, strangely. She originally detested it and asked me if I could keep it “somewhere outside” our apartment. Now she asks me if I can wear it on our morning walks. The strange discordance I used to get between the candy notes/rose and seaweed/mint/melon notes has disappeared for me and now I smell smooth transitions between candy/candied rose/metallic rose/metallic aquatic rose. I guess my brain has figured out it’s not going to kill me and started making peace with it. I guess I’m glad I blind bought it. Because if I had tested it first I never would’ve touched it again.

Still far from a favorite but now I find it wearable and not just art.

Mak-7

Sep 19, 2019
Doleur was always wearable to me. Never found any seaweed in this composition. Though it is a little transparent to me. Its like dense burgundy watercolor paint. Seems like its present, but still a watercolor

MrPod

Jan 10, 2018
I love the initial melon note and candy mixed with seaweed vibe. But on me, the metalic rose slowly takes over and dominates everything, and it just sets my teeth on edge.
For some reason it reminds me of the rose in MFK Satin Mood, which does exactly the same on me.

Proust_Madeleine

Apr 5, 2019
Doleur was always wearable to me. Never found any seaweed in this composition. Though it is a little transparent to me. Its like dense burgundy watercolor paint. Seems like its present, but still a watercolor

Maybe you had smelled this particular synthetic material more than I had (in some other perfume) because the first two weeks I had it, it’s all my lady and I could smell—- we could smell it through the cap and box. Now I barely notice it! Crazy.

Oud Dude

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 22, 2018
I remember all of the hype about it being unwearable and all that- I never experienced it that way. From the first spray I found it to be a happy, uplifting and oddly beautiful scent- and so did my daughter (but her all-time favorite scent is T-Rex, so there's that). The most noteworthy aspect of it being "challenging" to me would be how loud it is. Without a doubt it is THE most "nuclear" fragrance I've ever owned by a long shot. It has to live in a separate bag in order to keep it in check.

Proust_Madeleine

Apr 5, 2019
I remember all of the hype about it being unwearable and all that- I never experienced it that way. From the first spray I found it to be a happy, uplifting and oddly beautiful scent- and so did my daughter (but her all-time favorite scent is T-Rex, so there's that). The most noteworthy aspect of it being "challenging" to me would be how loud it is. Without a doubt it is THE most "nuclear" fragrance I've ever owned by a long shot. It has to live in a separate bag in order to keep it in check.

I can smell your bottle from here.

AZsmells

Jul 11, 2004

I find it to be unwearable. Not that it smells terrible, it's ok. The problem is nuclear strength. I have my bottle sitting in a closet and every time I open my closet I am overwhelmed by the smell without even spraying it.

Mak-7

Sep 19, 2019
Havent seen anything on Doleur 2.
Maybe that is the blue bottle, or blue that was mentioned earlier?

Any details on notes?

Oud Dude

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 22, 2018
I can smell your bottle from here.

I don't doubt that in the slightest. :laugh:

Speaking of Douleur!, and I don't think this has been mentioned in this thread, it is being discontinued and apparently a Douleur! 2 is coming.

Source: Bogue's and Freddie Albrighton's Instagram posts.

No kidding? Wow. Maybe a dialed-back, less-nuclear formulation?

I find it to be unwearable. Not that it smells terrible, it's ok. The problem is nuclear strength. I have my bottle sitting in a closet and every time I open my closet I am overwhelmed by the smell without even spraying it.

Yup. It's on another level. I'd offer to take your bottle off your hands but at this strength mine will last at least 200 years.

Proust_Madeleine

Apr 5, 2019
Havent seen anything on Doleur 2.
Maybe that is the blue bottle, or blue that was mentioned earlier?

Any details on notes?

I just watched an interview where Freddie said they were both surprised at how controversial the first Douleur was and that it wasn’t necessarily their intention. So, now that the first batch has sold out, they’ve decided to change some things about it. “Same soul, new direction” is how he described the new one and said it will be available in September.

Mak-7

Sep 19, 2019
I just watched an interview where Freddie said they were both surprised at how controversial the first Douleur was and that it wasn’t necessarily their intention. So, now that the first batch has sold out, they’ve decided to change some things about it. “Same soul, new direction” is how he described the new one and said it will be available in September.

Hmmmm....i say they should have collaborated on a new formulation and make blue bottle, make it cold, inky type of fragrance.
September seems to be sooo far away

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013
I recently tried Maai and Mem. I don’t get all the fuss from those saying how crazy or bad it smells. There isn’t a single odd or offputting note in either of these!?!? I also wasn’t that impressed by them and I’m a bit confused with both ends of the extreme like or dislike by those who review or describe them. They both smell like nice soapy scents to me. Maybe I got the wrong juice in the bottles I dunno...

Proust_Madeleine

Apr 5, 2019
I recently tried Maai and Mem. I don’t get all the fuss from those saying how crazy or bad it smells. There isn’t a single odd or offputting note in either of these!?!? I also wasn’t that impressed by them and I’m a bit confused with both ends of the extreme like or dislike by those who review or describe them. They both smell like nice soapy scents to me. Maybe I got the wrong juice in the bottles I dunno...

You might just not like the style! MeM is my favorite perfume of all time and the most interesting Lavendar I’ve ever smelled but I also know some people who don’t love it.

If you don’t like either MeM or Maai, I doubt very much that you’ll like anything from this perfumer.

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013
You might just not like the style! MeM is my favorite perfume of all time and the most interesting Lavendar I’ve ever smelled but I also know some people who don’t love it.

If you don’t like either MeM or Maai, I doubt very much that you’ll like anything from this perfumer.

I guess I just couldn’t understand why some people hated it???

Proust_Madeleine

Apr 5, 2019
I guess I just couldn’t understand why some people hated it???

People have a hard time with animalics like Civet and Maai, especially, has a ton of civet and indolic tuberose. The older version had a hefty dose of Oakmoss which some people really get irritated by... as for MeM I don't totally understand what's offensive in it? Maybe some civet and sticky florals? I don't really get what's not to like... sweet/bitter/herbal/fresh lavender with a touch of light animal warmth in a dense benzoin base... seems like a no-brainer to me.

rynegne

Jul 25, 2012
I really liked the concept of MeM but ended up selling it after not wearing it very often. I love lavender, period in almost any iteration. However, I couldn't shake the overly sticky-sweet underlying sugary-yellow-floral accord that refuses to go away throughout the life of the fragrance. At some point, after a few hours...I kept saying to myself...like ok...let's shift gears here. I wanted it to transition more. Had MeM only touched on the sticky-sweet note for short time I could easily handle it but it plays on and on like a screamo lead singer throughout.

I'd love to see what Antonio could do with more of a dry-floral or wood forward fragrance.

mikeperez23

Be Here. Now.
Basenotes Plus
Dec 31, 2006
I really liked the concept of MeM but ended up selling it after not wearing it very often. I love lavender, period in almost any iteration. However, I couldn't shake the overly sticky-sweet underlying sugary-yellow-floral accord that refuses to go away throughout the life of the fragrance. At some point, after a few hours...I kept saying to myself...like ok...let's shift gears here. I wanted it to transition more. Had MeM only touched on the sticky-sweet note for short time I could easily handle it but it plays on and on like a screamo lead singer throughout.

I'd love to see what Antonio could do with more of a dry-floral or wood forward fragrance.

Same!

I love MEM. I rarely wear it. I have to be in the mood for all that mess. lol

Nido

Apr 28, 2020
People have a hard time with animalics like Civet and Maai, especially, has a ton of civet and indolic tuberose. The older version had a hefty dose of Oakmoss which some people really get irritated by... as for MeM I don't totally understand what's offensive in it? Maybe some civet and sticky florals? I don't really get what's not to like... sweet/bitter/herbal/fresh lavender with a touch of light animal warmth in a dense benzoin base... seems like a no-brainer to me.

Initially I had similar thoughts to yourself on MEM; I personally found it extremely likeable despite it's complexity and it never struck me as unwearable or containing any controversial accords/notes. But when field testing it, the results were clear amongst my friends/family/colleagues/partner: MEM received unanimously negative feedback. None of the criticism explicitly mentioned animalic notes as a reason for the dislike (but that could just be a result of a limited odour palette as no one in my circle is a fraghead), the general consensus was it smelt 'wet, thick and medicinal'. My girlfriend at the time told me to scrub it off immediately.

Shame really, I consider it a cerebral masterpiece of modern perfumery. Maybe it's time I got new friends and date a fraghead next?

Macsrul

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 22, 2017
I have a love hat relationship with MeM. Mostly love but once in a while I spray it on and it assaults my nose in a negative way but then some days it is glorious. I generally do not like lavender but this one is the exception.

My wife thinks it smells great on me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Proust_Madeleine

Apr 5, 2019
Initially I had similar thoughts to yourself on MEM; I personally found it extremely likeable despite it's complexity and it never struck me as unwearable or containing any controversial accords/notes. But when field testing it, the results were clear amongst my friends/family/colleagues/partner: MEM received unanimously negative feedback. None of the criticism explicitly mentioned animalic notes as a reason for the dislike (but that could just be a result of a limited odour palette as no one in my circle is a fraghead), the general consensus was it smelt 'wet, thick and medicinal'. My girlfriend at the time told me to scrub it off immediately.

Shame really, I consider it a cerebral masterpiece of modern perfumery. Maybe it's time I got new friends and date a fraghead next?

I’m feeling lucky that my gal loves MeM so much now.

ctboom

Jan 14, 2016
Attended an orthodox Sunday wedding in NYC a few years ago, invited by groom who was affiliated with chaplaincy work at a hospital where my partner was admin, wedding held at some synagogue in hard element Bronx, eclectic mixture of people since all spiritual practices were represented by the hospital chaplaincy (Buddhist, Christian, Jewish, Islamist, agnostic, etc.). I had arrived at wedding Sunday with my daughter from some nut's house at Montauk, rich and miserable, so miserable that we left at crack of dawn, put a Bogue on while driving (its a great driving perfume), MEM, one of the earliest samplings, when you put it on it feels like the first buzzing of a drug, great blue sky, empty highway (next day was a holiday), then Bronx then the sea of hasids, perfect match for the medicinals, then dancing, there was one woman going back and forth across me (open marriage here), we went to the synagogue broom closet, though it had a small window you could look out of. The surrealer the better, one of the best times of my life. Some scent association yes?

Proust_Madeleine

Apr 5, 2019
Attended an orthodox Sunday wedding in NYC a few years ago, invited by groom who was affiliated with chaplaincy work at a hospital where my partner was admin, wedding held at some synagogue in hard element Bronx, eclectic mixture of people since all spiritual practices were represented by the hospital chaplaincy (Buddhist, Christian, Jewish, Islamist, agnostic, etc.). I had arrived at wedding Sunday with my daughter from some nut's house at Montauk, rich and miserable, so miserable that we left at crack of dawn, put a Bogue on while driving (its a great driving perfume), MEM, one of the earliest samplings, when you put it on it feels like the first buzzing of a drug, great blue sky, empty highway (next day was a holiday), then Bronx then the sea of hasids, perfect match for the medicinals, then dancing, there was one woman going back and forth across me (open marriage here), we went to the synagogue broom closet, though it had a small window you could look out of. The surrealer the better, one of the best times of my life. Some scent association yes?

I love hearing stuff like this. I love locking a perfect day in place with a new fragrance and remembering it forever through that one perfume. I travel a lot for work, touring with my band. So I remember london from o/e after picking it up at bloom. I remember Italy from SMN... I remember flying from Europe to japan and a Sultan pasha animalic exploded in my luggage and all my japan memories are tinged with taif rose, castoreum and Oud. Haha you can imagine how much the refined Japanese olfactory style appreciated that middle eastern scent clinging all over me.

LinePlaneVolume

May 31, 2020
I deserve a little mocking now and then, for being so enthusiastic. Lol. Maai original release is certainly special stuff.

Proust, out of curiosity, how much did Maai change, and what do you perceive it lost? I'm itching to get a full bottle soon and just want to know what I'm missing... because I LOVE the (recent) sample I have.

Oh, and I feel fortunate to have found Gardoni's stuff so early on in my "getting into" scents fo real. I have MeM and TRex... They're both favorites, and mind blowing. Full bottles of Maai and Allegretto are right around the corner.

Last edited:

Proust_Madeleine

Apr 5, 2019
Proust, out of curiosity, how much did Maai change, and what do you perceive it lost? I'm itching to get a full bottle soon and just want to know what I'm missing... because I LOVE the (recent) sample I have.

Oh, and I feel fortunate to have found Gardoni's stuff so early on in my "getting into" scents fo real. I have MeM and TRex... They're both favorites, and mind blowing. Full bottles of Maai and Allegretto are right around the corner.

Well, first off, great selections. MeM, T. Rex, Maai and Allegretto are among the most interesting perfumes anywhere in the world and a fantastic selection to own from Gardoni.

Most of the difference, in my humble opinion comes from a backing off on Oakmoss(or replacing the oakmoss with a toned down, IFRA compliant version). Most of what it loses is a brash “80s powerhouse” vibe... some would say it’s the carnal growl of the scent. I however still get a blast of civet and dirty Tuberose that I always felt was the heart of Maai. I find this version easier to wear and more versatile than the earlier iteration though I certainly understand people who wanted it with the heavy kink of the older bottles(I have a bit of an old one left over that I layer with the newer bottle if I want a bit of extra oomph).

To be fair, the longer my new bottle has sat on the shelf, the more the oakmoss has come out to play, so I do wonder if it’s partly aging/maceration. But I do think it must be a bit more than that after really going a/b with them for a while.

I ABSOLUTELY would pull the trigger on a new bottle and I believe thrilledchilled shared similar sentiments.

mikeperez23

Be Here. Now.
Basenotes Plus
Dec 31, 2006

Ha!

LinePlaneVolume

May 31, 2020
@Proust

No doubt about getting a full bottle of Maai. I just need to control myself and stretch out my purchases over time... exercise a little fiscal responsibility and all that. :)

I hope to be able to eventually compare a new bottle with something from an old bottle, but any time I break out the sample of Maai that I have, it just kills me... so, I know I'll be happy with it.

Thanks for sharing.

Nido

Apr 28, 2020

Want more content like this. Love it.

KBF1972

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 23, 2013
I was just able to acquire a bottle of NOUN and wow this stuff is great. I definitely get a connection with Cologne Reloaded but this has that slight gourmand sweetness from the benzoin that smooths it out and makes it more wearable. You can literally smell every listed note in this one and it has that camphorous, smoked meats base that Bogue is known for. Without a doubt my favorite Bogue yet.

Proust_Madeleine

Apr 5, 2019
I was just able to acquire a bottle of NOUN and wow this stuff is great. I definitely get a connection with Cologne Reloaded but this has that slight gourmand sweetness from the benzoin that smooths it out and makes it more wearable. You can literally smell every listed note in this one and it has that camphorous, smoked meats base that Bogue is known for. Without a doubt my favorite Bogue yet.

Hey! Great score! I only have 10ml of Noun left and I ration it carefully. I don’t get as much smoke as CR but I really love all the herbal/florals over that dense benzoin base! Yum yum!!!

KBF1972

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 23, 2013
Hey! Great score! I only have 10ml of Noun left and I ration it carefully. I don’t get as much smoke as CR but I really love all the herbal/florals over that dense benzoin base! Yum yum!!!

Yes Madeleine I was so excited! And you’re right definitely less smoke than CR. I find this one completely wearable and the drydown is to die for.

Proust_Madeleine

Apr 5, 2019
For people who are interested, I found one of the 10 bottles of OOOH in existence and was able to buy it for the original retail price(albeit with NYS insane tax rate). Rather than keep it all to myself, I'm sending half to Strifeknot so he can run a split on it(he's way better at that stuff than I am... you guys all know him... AND he's got so much good stuff that you can add a few things and make the shipping bundle).

I hope some of you that were looking for decants/splits/partials are able to get some before it's gone because I doubt it'll ever come up again.

Anyway, glad to have people to talk about this stuff with and I look forward to your thoughts on this one!

j.zheyii

Nov 13, 2014
For people who are interested, I found one of the 10 bottles of OOOH in existence and was able to buy it for the original retail price(albeit with NYS insane tax rate). Rather than keep it all to myself, I'm sending half to Strifeknot so he can run a split on it(he's way better at that stuff than I am... you guys all know him... AND he's got so much good stuff that you can add a few things and make the shipping bundle).

I hope some of you that were looking for decants/splits/partials are able to get some before it's gone because I doubt it'll ever come up again.

Anyway, glad to have people to talk about this stuff with and I look forward to your thoughts on this one!

Just booked 5ml with Strifeknot. Thank your for sharing this unicorn, looking forward to trying it.

Latest News