Birch Tar Dilutions?

Greenslug

Feb 27, 2021
Quick question. I just got a shipment of a bunch if aroma chemicals with Birch Tar Rectified being one of them. I would really like to play around with this material but holly crap it is strong. To give an example when i placed it next to other aroma chemical strips to test it basically smoked them like a freaking ham. So my question is should I dilute it to 1% or do you think 10% would be sufficient. I really want to play around with this material but a bit scared, that it will overtake everything. Thank you in advance.

Casper_grassy

May 5, 2020
If you would’ve spoke on here before you purchased it I would’ve quickly told you to buy cade instead.they’re super close but cade lacks an off-odor that birch tar does.

Try 1% if not try .1%, depending on the composition it could overwhelm quite quickly.

pkiler

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
Perfect. Thank you. I was thinking the same. I am really walking on the way of caution now a days after completely destroying a pretty composition with an overdose of aldehydes
Dosage and dilution also depend upon your sample size that you make. Most often, I make +/- 10g size samples, and always undiluted for most materials. Even so, I will use 1% diluted smoke materials in that, and 10% diluted C-aldehydes.
It's better to sneak up on the desired strength, than to have to throw it out and begin again.
Plus . Both smoke materials and C-aldehydes wear in, when blending. So evaluation takes several days per addition before a better evaluation can be made.

Greenslug

Feb 27, 2021
Dosage and dilution also depend upon your sample size that you make. Most often, I make +/- 10g size samples, and always undiluted for most materials. Even so, I will use 1% diluted smoke materials in that, and 10% diluted C-aldehydes.
It's better to sneak up on the desired strength, than to have to throw it out and begin again.
Plus . Both smoke materials and C-aldehydes wear in, when blending. So evaluation takes several days per addition before a better evaluation can be made.
Yes, me too I now always only do 10g samples. I just started playing with aldehydes. I added at 2% c-12 and it still overwhelmed a solution. It did mellow out after a few days so i am curious to see how it smells after adding alcohol

Greenslug

Feb 27, 2021
If you would’ve spoke on here before you purchased it I would’ve quickly told you to buy cade instead.they’re super close but cade lacks an off-odor that birch tar does.

Try 1% if not try .1%, depending on the composition it could overwhelm quite quickly.
Ooof well…. I don’t want to pester you guys with all the nooby questions. But i am glad i asked before ruining more blends. Curious what is this off-odor you speak of?

ScentAle

Oct 26, 2021
I have 2 black birch tar. One is better and hasn't bacon smell, only about pure burn smoky and I'm in total love with it, using at strong 4%.
Other birch oil I have smell more bacon/fishy, more cade-like and I use at 1%.

Greenslug

Feb 27, 2021
I have 2 black birch tar. One is better and hasn't bacon smell, only about pure burn smoky and I'm in total love with it, using at strong 4%.
Other birch oil I have smell more bacon/fishy, more cade-like and I use at 1%.
The one I have smells pretty much identical to liquid smoke. It really kind of made me hungry when testing it on a strip. 😆

Greenslug

Feb 27, 2021
Eheh yes I can understand you. I'm a fan of dark compositions, so birch tar is my girlfriend 😄
What are some of the things you like to mix it with? I was thinking wood type material heading a bit into the gourmand territory. I assume more in the masculine direction.

ScentAle

Oct 26, 2021
What are some of the things you like to mix it with? I was thinking wood type material heading a bit into the gourmand territory. I assume more in the masculine direction.
Yes I find that birch tar stay really well with many woods, and is really super for adding a great character to the dry woods, and with cypress is amazing, same with vetiver, oak, fir, cedars, Juniper and all coniferous naturals and not, and with the incense materials, attenuating also the pinene and limonene of the eo's.

I also find that it is so good with Rose, Iris and Jasmin. Just tried in a Galbanum accord and also there seems good.

But I'm in the side, I'm too much in love with birch tar 😄

Greenslug

Feb 27, 2021
Yes I find that birch tar stay really well with many woods, and is really super for adding a great character to the dry woods, and with cypress is amazing, same with vetiver, oak, fir, cedars, Juniper and all coniferous naturals and not, and with the incense materials, attenuating also the pinene and limonene of the eo's.

I also find that it is so good with Rose, Iris and Jasmin. Just tried in a Galbanum accord and also there seems good.

But I'm in the side, I'm too much in love with birch tar 😄
I just tried it super diluted in a nagamotha benzoin, base mix its really nice

tyriekm

Mar 19, 2019
The one I have smells pretty much identical to liquid smoke. It really kind of made me hungry when testing it on a strip. 😆
Not sure why I read this as "...when tasting it on a strip" haha.

But in all seriousness, I have to agree. I got birch tar 10% from PA and got it neat from PSH and both have this slightly off odor. I ordered some cade oil a while back from some canadian company and it never came, so I've resorted to my birch tar and sometimes Syringol for now.

Greenslug

Feb 27, 2021
Not sure why I read this as "...when tasting it on a strip" haha.

But in all seriousness, I have to agree. I got birch tar 10% from PA and got it neat from PSH and both have this slightly off odor. I ordered some cade oil a while back from some canadian company and it never came, so I've resorted to my birch tar and sometimes Syringol for now.
I can kind of see what you are talking about its a slight smoked fish undertone. I don’t think i added enough into a fragrance to really notice it yet. Is cade oil super hard to get?

Greenslug

Feb 27, 2021
Also with coffee absolute it is wonderful. Tried time ago.
In Encens Suave by Matiere Premiere there is this amazing accord.
Omg i just looked at that accord looks delicious. Actually looking at all of their perfume creations those all the ingredients i love. Noob question but how did they get coffee as a top note? I cant find much information on ingredients but i am assuming they are using ACs as well as EOs

Greenslug

Feb 27, 2021
It is always critical to remember that "notes" are marketing material, not technical descriptions. There is not necessarily any connection to the reality of the actual materials used. ;p
Yes I totally get that, i guess i never used Acs to try and make a coffee accord. I have coffee abs. Guess i should take a peek at the coa of that material

Latest News