Best vintage scents (current formulations only) for a young guy?

Airegin

Sep 25, 2017
How does Guerlain Vetiver wear in colder climates?

I'm definitely getting Habit Rouge. It's so polarizing I need to have it so I can try it over and over again. I bought Eau d'Hermes and Équipage with the same reasoning and I'm so glad I did.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011

I'm definitely getting Habit Rouge. It's so polarizing I need to have it so I can try it over and over again. I bought Eau d'Hermes and Équipage with the same reasoning and I'm so glad I did.
Guerlain Vetiver will work fine although warmer months be preferable. Heritage would do really well.

StylinLA

Aug 9, 2009

Guerlain Vetiver is kind of close to a perfect male scent.

It's not stellar, goundbreaking, modern, old fashioned, sexy or romantic.

It's just rock solid.

It works for young guys or old guys.
Warm weather or cool weather.
Dressed up or casual.

It took me awhile to get to know it well. Maybe this is my own bias, but I pretty much think it should be in every Basenoters wardrobe.

Habit rouge is more of an acquired taste like scotch whiskey.

Airegin

Sep 25, 2017
I was able to try out a couple more. I really like Guerlain Héritage, Vétiver and Givenchy Gentleman EDT but I don't think I can pull it off. Didn't like Platinum Egoiste at all. I ended up buying a 100ml bottle of Habit Rouge edt. I tried and liked the modern Habit Rouge l'Eau as well but it's already become very faint on the test strip after an hour.

Airegin

Sep 25, 2017
First time trying Habit Rouge on myself instead of a test strip. It's love at first sniff! Exactly the kind of scent I'm looking for,
together with Eau d'Hermes and Équipage. I was wrong about it being too classy /formal. Love love love it.

Off-topic but I also discovered the joy of Declaration d'un Soir edt today. I'm really enjoying the more floral and powdery scents.

Toxicon

May 29, 2021

I think most folks detect the citrus top and immediately think spring/summer, but the spicy nutmeg and tobacco drydown also works very well in fall, and there's enough weight there that it works fine for winter. The current formulation is an excellent performer, too, so I find it doesn't peter out on a cold day.

That said, vetiver as a note is not for everyone. A lot of people find it off-putting even in the context of easy-wearing, near-ubiquitous scents like Terre d'Hermes (a modern classic regardless). No shame in liking what you like and skipping what you don't. Sounds like Habit Rouge is a winner for you--I still need to give that a proper try.

StylinLA

Aug 9, 2009
First time trying Habit Rouge on myself instead of a test strip. It's love at first sniff! Exactly the kind of scent I'm looking for,
together with Eau d'Hermes and Équipage. I was wrong about it being too classy /formal. Love love love it.

Off-topic but I also discovered the joy of Declaration d'un Soir edt today. I'm really enjoying the more floral and powdery scents.

Wow, it's interesting that a young guy loves it so much right off the bat. Not that it's a mature scent really, I just find it hard to classify. Unique.

You've inspired me to break it out this week.

Sounds like Habit Rouge is a winner for you--I still need to give that a proper try.

Looking at your wardrobe looks kinda wetshaver-ish. I think you might like it.

My preference is for the EdP version, but there's plenty of love for the EdT. It's got a weird opening, and make take a couple of wearings to grok it.

Airegin

Sep 25, 2017
Wow, it's interesting that a young guy loves it so much right off the bat. Not that it's a mature scent really, I just find it hard to classify. Unique.

You've inspired me to break it out this week.

I am very open to these old school scents actually. First hour of Habit Rouge smells very old fashioned but I can appreciate that. I get strange looks from people but I don't care. 80s powerhouses and heavy lavender scents not so much though.

Ifti

Aug 5, 2016
I think most folks detect the citrus top and immediately think spring/summer, but the spicy nutmeg and tobacco drydown also works very well in fall, and there's enough weight there that it works fine for winter. The current formulation is an excellent performer, too, so I find it doesn't peter out on a cold day.

That said, vetiver as a note is not for everyone. A lot of people find it off-putting even in the context of easy-wearing, near-ubiquitous scents like Terre d'Hermes (a modern classic regardless). No shame in liking what you like and skipping what you don't. Sounds like Habit Rouge is a winner for you--I still need to give that a proper try.

Oooh yeah agree on this. Seems to have fallen out of favour for me. Though it has been spring and summer and I've rarely reached for it. Something weren't sitting right with me. Perhaps jarring with the perception that it is a warm weather frag. I'm thinking it doesn't work as a summer frag for me. Heavy on spice and tobacco. Roll on autumn, let's see if I can't fall back in love with you GV!

MisterK

Dec 22, 2003
I'll throw some inexpensive ones out there:
Tabac Original. I like the EDC, haven't tried the EDT.
Royal Copenhagen Musk. More citrus than the original as well as less powdery.
+1 for PS by Paul Sebastian (probably pushing it with this one but if its a fail you haven't blown that much, I got a 1 oz of this one for $8ish from an online discounter. I wasn't expecting much from this one, but was pleasantly surprised. It might be considered dated.)

Airegin

Sep 25, 2017
I just added Heritage EDT and Habit Rouge EDP to my collection.

Any women or unisex fragrances I should try as a fan of powdery, floral and oriental?

Airegin

Sep 25, 2017
Maybe Bois des Iles or Shalimar?

Thanks, I'll give those a try.

On a sidenote, can I trust Notino? I don't mind paying a little more in a local store but some fragrances like Jaipur and Caron pour un Homme are much cheaper on Notino.

Hazzle77

Feb 3, 2021

On a sidenote, can I trust Notino? I don't mind paying a little more in a local store but some fragrances like Jaipur and Caron pour un Homme are much cheaper on Notino.

I order quite regularly from Notino and have never had a problem. They have a good range of samples too.

Toxicon

May 29, 2021

Ah, something I hadn't thought of is that Bois des Iles will be tougher to sample. For Chanel samples, I typically either get carded samples or decants on ebay. Shalimar will be easier to find, but you might want to read a few of the threads about which version is best for men. It's all generally too feminine for my tastes, but a few versions are known to be more unisex-friendly.

(Haven't ordered from Notino myself.)

Tristan45

Jun 30, 2017
Any women or unisex fragrances I should try as a fan of powdery, floral and oriental?

Assuming you are still after vintage fragrances that can be had today - the one that meets all those requirements, and is so beautiful, is Guerlain's L'Heure Bleue - but do try to smell the current extrait to get the full experience, the weaker iterations just don't quite do it justice. Or the Grossmith Shem el Nessim (a recreation of a scent from 1906) which has some similarities to L'Heure Bleue. You could also try Après l'Ondée by Guerlain, another powdery, oriental delight from Guerlain. Sadly only in an EDT these days.

Airegin

Sep 25, 2017
I bought Heritage EDT blind and I really like it but I work with mostly 60+yo people and definitely recognize the smell. How difficult is it to get rid of certain associations with scents? Will it go away eventually if I keep wearing it? I will keep wearing it regardless, though I much prefer the likes of Habit Rouge, Equipage and Eau d'Hermes so far.

Edit: posted too soon, I had only sprayed it for the first time 10 minutes before. It's actually much better now. I think I can safely blame the lavender blast at the start? It might be too early then to start digging into heavier lavender scents like Caron Pour un Homme but I will definitely try to work towards it.

Staff online

Latest News