Best value niche/quasi niche houses

Mai7

Aug 16, 2020
Lush/Gorilla perfumes. Tank battle, for example, the combination of geosmin notes and labdanum gives off this scent of sweet damp incense pavement, I haven't encountered anything similar in any of the "proper" niche houses. Then Breath of God, of course, liquid smoke through melons, like it or not, it's a must try. Lots of violet themed perfumes, V is soft and creamy, Confetti is a beautiful honeyed violet, Kerbside Violet is very green. Orange themed, Superworld unknown, The smell of freedom, Cocktail. Mint, Dirty and the Smell of weather turning. Etc, etc, there are many perfumes that go in a lot of direction, they have a lot of naturals, some of them are pricey, but most are pretty affordable. The selection is big, it would surely be difficult not to find something you like.

Comme des Garcons, for sure! I don't know what is NOT niche about them. They were the first to make anti-perfume, they've set the trend for incense almost twenty years ago, they have lines that are based on peculiarity. They have a clothing line behind them, yes, so if technicality matters you can call them avant garde. But to me, they're much more niche then Maison Francis Kurdjikian, for example which for me smells like expensive fancy perfumes with nothing extraordinary about them, the same goes for Tom Ford, Le labo which are all owned by big name companies.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Aesop, that house sure has some gems, they are not the cheapest, but it's a very good value for what's on offer.

Mai7

Aug 16, 2020
Lush/Gorilla perfumes. Tank battle, for example, the combination of geosmin notes and labdanum gives off this scent of sweet damp incense pavement, I haven't encountered anything similar in any of the "proper" niche houses. Then Breath of God, of course, liquid smoke through melons, like it or not, it's a must try. Lots of violet themed perfumes, V is soft and creamy, Confetti is a beautiful honeyed violet, Kerbside Violet is very green. Orange themed, Superworld unknown, The smell of freedom, Cocktail. Mint, Dirty and the Smell of weather turning. Etc, etc, there are many perfumes that go in a lot of direction, they have a lot of naturals, some of them are pricey, but most are pretty affordable. The selection is big, it would surely be difficult not to find something you like.

Comme des Garcons, for sure! I don't know what is NOT niche about them. They were the first to make anti-perfume, they've set the trend for incense almost twenty years ago, they have lines that are based on peculiarity. They have a clothing line behind them, yes, so if technicality matters you can call them avant garde. But to me, they're much more niche then Maison Francis Kurdjikian, for example which for me smells like expensive fancy perfumes with nothing extraordinary about them, the same goes for Tom Ford, Le labo which are all owned by big name companies.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Aesop, that house sure has some gems, they are not the cheapest, but it's a very good value for what's on offer.

imm0rtelle

Apr 2, 2021

I agree 100% with you. That said, it feels weird to somehow think niche must be one thing and MFK et al aren't "niche". Perhaps there needs to be another way to describe fragrances to avoid the messy way they're being categorized. Brands should be categorized based on what the brand's concept is more than whether or not they also sell clothes or not. For example, Room 1015 is niche, but I wouldn't just describe it like that. I would categorize them as a brand taking what is already on the market but giving it a slight edgy twist.

StylinLA

Aug 9, 2009
Nicolai prices her 30 mL bottles very reasonably.

YES! Three cheers for 30ml bottles!

As a Basenoter with a lot of scents, nothing usually gets worn a lot, so I go through bottles slowly.

I love that that Nicolai sells 30ml bottles which affords an ability me to buy a high end scent at prices that are not eye watering.

Rogue Perfumery does this too and I salute them for it.

Out of my 140+ scents, there are probably more than half that I would be happy with 30ml. I don't think I'm alone in this thought.

Diamondflame

Frag Bomber 1st Squadron
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2009

As a Basenoter with a lot of scents, nothing usually gets worn a lot, so I go through bottles slowly.

I love that that Nicolai sells 30ml bottles which affords an ability me to buy a high end scent at prices that are not eye watering.

Out of my 140+ scents, there are probably more than half that I would be happy with 30ml. I don't think I'm alone in this thought.

I’m with you on this. 30 ml is a sweet spot. But for really versatile ones that get a lot of wear, I prefer 50 -75 ml.

StylinLA

Aug 9, 2009
I’m with you on this. 30 ml is a sweet spot. But for really versatile ones that get a lot of wear, I prefer 50 -75 ml.

Sure. There have been some that I buy the small bottle and soon realize I'm gonna need more (NY Intense springs to mind).

But yes 30ml is a "sweet spot." Enough to wear for awhile if you like it and not so much you're grimly depressed if you don't like it.

LinePlaneVolume

May 31, 2020
Sure. There have been some that I buy the small bottle and soon realize I'm gonna need more (NY Intense springs to mind).

But yes 30ml is a "sweet spot." Enough to wear for awhile if you like it and not so much you're grimly depressed if you don't like it.

Yup, I really love the 30ml Nicolai bottles. NY Intense and Patchouli Intense are probably the ones I'd want the bigger bottles for but, alas, my wife doesn't like them so I don't even get to put much of a dent in the 30ml bottles.

JON RODGERS

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007

You are not alone :thumbsup:

Creed royally pissed me off when they discontinued most of their 30ml bottles :angry:

Diamond Joe

Feb 5, 2019
Does Andy Tauer count? Cause his stuff is reasonable priced (~$125 for 50ml) and he has some truly stunning creations. Au Coeur de Desert, Lonestar Memories, PHI Rose de Kandahar, Orange Star.. and thats not even counting the one everybody knows...

also:
Olympic Orchids
TRNP
Rogue

Latest News