Best sandalwood fragrance?

Tigs7

Jan 8, 2021
I have found nothing that compares (one to one) to pure aged Mysore like good old Floris Sandalwood does. Other than that one, there’s vintage Egoiste and BdI, but they are more perfumey. I gots nothing else. My expensive sandalwood experiment led me to those.

I’ve just recently ordered a sample of Embers so I will compare that one soon. I hope Embers works out because I’d love to find a new Mysore that is readily available for purchase. All of my current favorites are discontinued and that makes me nervous.

With regard to modern compositions that provide a feeling of Mysore, there’s LV, SL, Richwood, Tam, etc, but one must know what aspects of real Mysore they seek… is it the creaminess, the way it grounds the scent, the way it weaves in and out and provides wafts long after you ‘think’ it’s disappeared into the skin. Things can get tricky in terms of how creators wrap the sandalwood up but I like frags that are as close to straight Mysore as possible.

Over the years I’ve found that the scent profile of Indian sandalwood varies SO much by such small things. I’ve got tiny samples of distillations that are clearly reminiscent of aged Mysore but they lack depth. They may blossom with age (like ambergris). So I wait for the next distillation but then that one comes and smells further away from the Mysore profile than the previous distillation. Then I go try to buy more of the previous distillation. It’s like a viscous cycle, lol.

james1051

Jul 23, 2013
I have found nothing that compares (one to one) to pure aged Mysore like good old Floris Sandalwood does. Other than that one, there’s vintage Egoiste and BdI, but they are more perfumey. I gots nothing else. My expensive sandalwood experiment led me to those.

I’ve just recently ordered a sample of Embers so I will compare that one soon. I hope Embers works out because I’d love to find a new Mysore that is readily available for purchase. All of my current favorites are discontinued and that makes me nervous.

With regard to modern compositions that provide a feeling of Mysore, there’s LV, SL, Richwood, Tam, etc, but one must know what aspects of real Mysore they seek… is it the creaminess, the way it grounds the scent, the way it weaves in and out and provides wafts long after you ‘think’ it’s disappeared into the skin. Things can get tricky in terms of how creators wrap the sandalwood up but I like frags that are as close to straight Mysore as possible.

Over the years I’ve found that the scent profile of Indian sandalwood varies SO much by such small things. I’ve got tiny samples of distillations that are clearly reminiscent of aged Mysore but they lack depth. They may blossom with age (like ambergris). So I wait for the next distillation but then that one comes and smells further away from the Mysore profile than the previous distillation. Then I go try to buy more of the previous distillation. It’s like a viscous cycle, lol.
Embers LTD ED 2021 is an outstanding sandalwood fragrance. Full bottle worthy for me, after one wearing. Better than Egoiste vintage, better than Samsara EdP vintage. Its really special.

Tigs7

Jan 8, 2021
Embers LTD ED 2021 is an outstanding sandalwood fragrance. Full bottle worthy for me, after one wearing. Better than Egoiste vintage, better than Samsara EdP vintage. Its really special.

Nice! Better than vintage Egoiste EDT you say? I’m really looking forward to it. I only bought a small bottle because I’ve been disappointed so many times when looking for new sandalwood fragrances. I should receive it later this week and can post an update.

I also have my first Areej coming this week. You guys have been a bad influence on my checking account.

mikeperez23

Be Here. Now.
Basenotes Plus
Dec 31, 2006

I enjoyed my decant of Embers but I do not think it's 'the one'.

Have you tried vintage Extract of Mysore Sandalwood by Crabtree & Evelyn? I know it's very hard to find, and quite expensive (there is someone selling a bottle on eBay for $999, a little ridiculous). I'm lucky that I've gone through a bottle and I have a backup. I owned the Floris (you mentioned) and it and the C&E are pretty close. The C&E is a tiny more floral, but it only enhances the Mysore notes. It's very gentleman-eaux-type-cologne oriented, with a serious sandalwood note at the core.

Tigs7

Jan 8, 2021
I enjoyed my decant of Embers but I do not think it's 'the one'.

Have you tried vintage Extract of Mysore Sandalwood by Crabtree & Evelyn? I know it's very hard to find, and quite expensive (there is someone selling a bottle on eBay for $999, a little ridiculous). I'm lucky that I've gone through a bottle and I have a backup. I owned the Floris (you mentioned) and it and the C&E are pretty close. The C&E is a tiny more floral, but it only enhances the Mysore notes. It's very gentleman-eaux-type-cologne oriented, with a serious sandalwood note at the core.

Yes, I had a bottle of C&E. I liked it but it seemed to turn a bit over time. Beautiful but strange.

Fortunately, I have backup bottles of the Floris.

I’m weird (because I’m a woman who apparently dislikes floral feminine scents)… florals, especially white flowers, get magnified on me and drive me bonkers.

Did you try all versions of Embers?

mikeperez23

Be Here. Now.
Basenotes Plus
Dec 31, 2006
Yes, I had a bottle of C&E. I liked it but it seemed to turn a bit over time. Beautiful but strange.

Fortunately, I have backup bottles of the Floris.

I’m weird (because I’m a woman who apparently dislikes floral feminine scents)… florals, especially white flowers, get magnified on me and drive me bonkers.

Did you try all versions of Embers?
Ah ok.

Enjoy those backups of Floris - lucky you.

Not weird - understandable. I'm the same way with saffron, on my skin it smells too much like food has spilled on my skin

I have a decant Embers 2021 and I also have another decant from TRNP: Sacred Ground. I enjoy both, but I don't LOVE them. Same can be said for the other decants of sandalwood's that claim to have Mysore that I scooped up last year: Santal Galore by Areej le Dore; Il Dieci by Bogue Profumo.

Have you tried L'Arbre by IUNX? It reminded me instantly of Floris. But with this minimal, French chic, vibe.

Tigs7

Jan 8, 2021
Ah ok.

Not weird - understandable. I'm the same way with saffron, on my skin it smells too much like food has spilled on my skin

I have a decant Embers 2021 and I also have another decant from TRNP: Sacred Ground. I enjoy both, but I don't LOVE them. Same can be said for the other decants of sandalwood's that claim to have Mysore that I scooped up last year: Santal Galore by Areej le Dore; Il Dieci by Bogue Profumo.

Have you tried L'Arbre by IUNX? It reminded me instantly of Floris. But with this minimal, French chic, vibe.

I hear you about Saffron but at least you can avoid that note in compositions. Unfortunately for me, white flowers seem to be EVERYWHERE and folks love to hide sandalwood underneath them.

No I haven’t even heard of L'Arbre! Thanks for the recommendation… I will search for a sample.

james1051

Jul 23, 2013
Ah ok.

I hear you about Saffron but at least you can avoid that note in compositions. Unfortunately for me, white flowers seem to be EVERYWHERE and folks love to hide sandalwood underneath them.

No I haven’t even heard of L'Arbre! Thanks for the recommendation… I will search for a sample.
I love L'Arbe, its great, but it is just straight sandalwood in alcohol, or so it seems to my nose.
I thought I had read somewhere that Iunx shut down production. My emails to the shop went unanswered. If you find a decant or part bottle floating around, its very worthwhile.
Along the lines of Iunx--straight sandalwood in alcohol--is AbdesSalaam's Mysore Attar (but its not an attar), which is still available.

Tigs7

Jan 8, 2021
I love L'Arbe, its great, but it is just straight sandalwood in alcohol, or so it seems to my nose.
I thought I had read somewhere that Iunx shut down production. My emails to the shop went unanswered. If you find a decant or part bottle floating around, its very worthwhile.
Along the lines of Iunx--straight sandalwood in alcohol--is AbdesSalaam's Mysore Attar (but its not an attar), which is still available.

Yes I have an old bottle of AbdesSalaam's Mysore. I typically use it to compare against new distillations from natural oil distributors; I rarely wear it but I use it as a benchmark. I had a small bottle of album from Sri Lanka that was a dead ringer but it sold out so fast that the distributor couldn’t source more.

I think I’ll wait to see how this Embers 21 thing turns out then go from there.

mahmadna

Dec 19, 2019
Is Floris Sandalwood the same as the current Floris Santal?

Tigs7

Jan 8, 2021
I guess they don't make this anymore.
Yes I think it was discontinued around the time that Floris was pushing Santal as the ‘new’ sandalwood-ish fragrance. I remember that Floris UK was selling old Sandalwood bottles at a discount in order to usher in the Santal. You can still find it via auction though. My last sealed bottle was bought a few months ago…

Tigs7

Jan 8, 2021
So I received a sample of Embers 21. In my opinion, it is very beautiful in that it is a creamy, heavy, lush sandalwood. Reminds me of the base in vintage sandalwood heavy fragrances.

However

I don’t find it to be interesting.

It is very beautiful but also boring in a way. After a few hours, I washed it off and reached for the other sample in the box (Wan Chi).

Alas, for my sandalwood fix, I have returned to my beloveds: Egoiste and Floris.

kigyo

Oct 8, 2021
O'Boticario ZAAD Santal is a recent discovery. I like it. Long lasting, spicy/woody, affordable fragrance. On my skin, it has a night out in a beach town vibe. I would not wear it on a hot sunny day. I recommend testing it on skin. Europeans can order from the Portuguese website.

cheapimitation

May 15, 2015
Has anyone tried Bortnikoff Santa Sangre? I was watching the recent Luckscent livestream and Steve raved about it and how it is the perfect sandalwood. It also advertises that it contains real mysore sandalwood.

naylor

Oct 24, 2011
Has anyone tried Bortnikoff Santa Sangre? I was watching the recent Luckscent livestream and Steve raved about it and how it is the perfect sandalwood. It also advertises that it contains real mysore sandalwood.
I wasn't a fan, personally. More vanilla than sandalwood to my nose, which was disappointing. YMMV

Opiate

Sep 19, 2010
After owning Crabtree & Evelyn’s Extract of Mysore for a while now, I feel like I have a far better grasp on what real Sandalwood/Mysore Sandalwood is.

That said, the best I’ve found in fragrances is in vintage Egoiste and vintage Cartier Santos. Pretty common in older Creed bottles as well, say, pre-2012.
Of more modern releases- Lorenzo Villoresi Sandalo.

Latest News