Best performer out of these.... | Basenotes

Best performer out of these....

Sloth

Jan 11, 2019
Assuming you liked all fairly equally and wanted a fresh, citrusy, lemony classy mans scent that would be ok for a work day without reapplying. Even if it was a skin scent by late afternoon, that's ok.
The below are all similar vibes although I appreciate not the exactly same smell, especially in dry downs.

• Chanel PM EDT
  • Dior Eau Sauvage EDT
  • Dior Eau Sauvage Cologne
  • Acqua di Parma Colonia (original)
  • Acqua di Parma Colonia Futura

I tried Eau Sauvage from a small sample earlier today, a single squirt on my arm..and...well it was really nice, lovely lemon and citrus. I didn't go skanky and sour on my as it did when I tried an arm spray in store a few months ago, what gives?
This has made me re-think my previously preformed opinion on ES and therefore I'm asking this question.

Also, which has the best dry down that doesn't wander too far from the opening, although of course I know it will dry down deeper and fuller than the opening as they usually do.

I could buy more than one, perhaps even three but don't want redundancy in my very small collection. For example, would Chanel PM make ES or ADP Colonia pointless?

Last edited:

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
I like all of them and I think they are worthy. On me, i think the AdP colonia lasts longer and in a way that's closer to the opening, but that's because it is less citrus fruity and more floral than the others. For more standard citrus/orange/lemon, I'd say the chanel.

Fernaldo

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 10, 2020
I'll say this Eau Sauvage EDT lasts about an hour max on me. Terrible longevity for me.

tspencer

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 12, 2016
I don't think any of these are what I consider longevity champions. They all are light, masculine fragrances which aim to be reserved. I would say it's a toss up between Pour Monsieur EDT and Eau Sauvage EDT. Sauvage has more of a "solid", substantial effect, while PM is more "airy"/sillage-based.

Bangkok Hound

User of Toilet Water
Basenotes Plus
Nov 4, 2015
Assuming you liked all fairly equally and wanted a fresh, citrusy, lemony classy mans scent that would be ok for a work day without reapplying. Even if it was a skin scent by late afternoon, that's ok.
The below are all similar vibes although I appreciate not the exactly same smell, especially in dry downs.

• Chanel PM EDT
  • Dior Eau Sauvage EDT
  • Dior Eau Sauvage Cologne
  • Acqua Parma Colonia (original)

The current Chanel PM and Eau Sauvage EDT have embarrassingly dreadful performance for me. The other two are quite decent. Colonia is the better scent of those, but for your purpose, I'd choose Eau Sauvage Cologne. It's rather artificial smelling, but it has the needed freshness you'd want for a workout scent.

Sloth

Jan 11, 2019
Thanks all so far.
I did try ES Cologne once a few months back at least, it was during the last lockdown period. It was sprayed on a test strip, which I then had to wipe on the back of my hand to do a skin test. They refused to spray it onto my skin and I had to ask theme to respray it to get the strip wet enough to be able to wipe it onto me.
That was weird as other stores were letting you (or them) spray it directly onto skin.
Anyway, I had high hopes based on chats on here, but on my skin, it came across very bitter and sour to my nose, based on that single testing. I was disappointed because I thought it could have been the one. I'd previously tried ES EDT and found it bitter and sour on me and now this, I though that perhaps there was some ingredient common in the Dior ES range that just went bad on my skin chemistry?

Based on my recent, very positive, retest of ES EDT, this time from a spray sample directly onto my skin, I'm wondering if a resample of the Cologne may also be in order, as it may also be a very different experience from the first, less than ideal testing?

By the way, Bangkok Hound, thanks for your comment, but I never said it was for a workout scent as I don't see much point in wearing a scent to get all sweaty, waste of juice and only chokes out people trying to workout etc.

StylinLA

Aug 9, 2009
Surprised you are entertaining EAU SAUVAGE. I recall you had some fairly pointed dislike of that one.

I'll be interested in seeing how people with experience of all these weigh in. These are basically citrus heavy scents that are not very long lasting.

Personally, EAU SAUVAGE EdT lasts pretty well on me. Maybe 5-6 hours, BUT it's a pretty light scent. The EAU SAUVAGE PARFUM last a bit longer and is a bit stronger projecting.

I consider EAU SAUVAGE my "going to the dentist or doctor office" scent.

Sloth

Jan 11, 2019
Surprised you are entertaining EAU SAUVAGE. I recall you had some fairly pointed dislike of that one.

I'll be interested in seeing how people with experience of all these weigh in. These are basically citrus heavy scents that are not very long lasting.

Personally, EAU SAUVAGE EdT lasts pretty well on me. Maybe 5-6 hours, BUT it's a pretty light scent. The EAU SAUVAGE PARFUM last a bit longer and is a bit stronger projecting.

I consider EAU SAUVAGE my "going to the dentist or doctor office" scent.

Hi, yes you are correct, I did express a very strong dislike for ES EDT a short while back.
It was based (possibly unfairly) on a couple of card sprays in store and a spray to my hand (or was it arm?), anyway, I got a sour, bitter almost skanky vibe from it that really put me off, I even got the same experience from a similar testing of the Cologne version.
Now a while later, I have a small spray sample of ES EDT and when I sprayed it on my arm I got a lovely, juicy, lemon and citrus smell that didn't go the sour/bitter route on me as it had before. Perhaps the store bottles were off (although the Cologne version was fairly new at the time and not an old bottle).
I have no idea why it was awful on one testing and great on another.
Either way, it is enough to make me reconsider my opinion on ES although I still have doubts regarding longevity and am on the fence between it and, say Chanel PM, ADP Colonia and the others on the list above?

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011
I don't think any of these are what I consider longevity champions. They all are light, masculine fragrances which aim to be reserved. I would say it's a toss up between Pour Monsieur EDT and Eau Sauvage EDT. Sauvage has more of a "solid", substantial effect, while PM is more "airy"/sillage-based.

I agree with the above. I actually wear Chanel PM EdT for its woody aspect rather than the short-lived lemon opening. It's a nice enough scent, as is Eau Sauvage, but with citrus scents that have the classic citrus top-chypre base, the citrus aspect will always be short-lived.

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011
Perhaps the store bottles were off (although the Cologne version was fairly new at the time and not an old bottle).

I've experienced this too with various scents. I often find there are so many scents drifting around in a department store (or similar), that it is near enough impossible to appreciate the scent for what it is. If the recent lockdowns have taught me anything at all, it is that I should get a sample or decant and try it at home in different settings.

I will add that Eau Sauvage has been through more reformulations than you can fit into a modern spreadsheet. The older the formulation of Eau Sauvage the better, but the current versions are also good in their own way (even if at times they appear as different scents altogether). Obviously, this is my own preference and others may disagree.

Milan SRB

Dec 4, 2012
Chanel PM is the longest lasting out of those but it's not going to last you the whole working day (none of these will).
If I were you I'd go with Eau Sauvage since it's the freshest lemony fragrance out of those. Chanel PM would be my second choice.

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
Hi, yes you are correct, I did express a very strong dislike for ES EDT a short while back.
It was based (possibly unfairly) on a couple of card sprays in store and a spray to my hand (or was it arm?), anyway, I got a sour, bitter almost skanky vibe from it that really put me off, I even got the same experience from a similar testing of the Cologne version.
Now a while later, I have a small spray sample of ES EDT and when I sprayed it on my arm I got a lovely, juicy, lemon and citrus smell that didn't go the sour/bitter route on me as it had before. Perhaps the store bottles were off (although the Cologne version was fairly new at the time and not an old bottle).
Either way, it is enough to make me reconsider my opinion on ES although I still have doubts regarding longevity and am on the fence between it and, say Chanel PM, ADP Colonia and the others on the list above?

Imo, what you call "bitter" is simply the oakmoss base. While the oakmoss note is often sought for on BN (like for many other things, often shortly after these get regulated or discontinued), it is the main responsible of bitterness in fragrances, and also of their "dated" feeling.
I personally only tested an ultra vintage of ES, around 40 yrs old (not the current one) and found it quite hard to wear in high heat, precisely because of that bitter oakmoss.

In my memory, Eau Sauvage Cologne got rid of that (and added a pinch of aldehydes, for the "airyness" sensation) and feels more contemporary. I respect the history, but personally would choose the Cologne any day over the original.

Sloth

Jan 11, 2019
Imo, what you call "bitter" is simply the oakmoss base. While the oakmoss note is often sought for on BN (like for many other things, often shortly after these get regulated or discontinued), it is the main responsible of bitterness in fragrances, and also of their "dated" feeling.
I personally only tested an ultra vintage of ES, around 40 yrs old (not the current one) and found it quite hard to wear in high heat, precisely because of that bitter oakmoss.

In my memory, Eau Sauvage Cologne got rid of that (and added a pinch of aldehydes, for the "airyness" sensation) and feels more contemporary. I respect the history, but personally would choose the Cologne any day over the original.

Interesting, I have not got a sample of the ES Cologne to try, but when I wiped a wet card strip on my hand in store, a while back (they refused to spray it on my skin or even let me touch the bottle due to Covid restrictions), it was very 'off' and bitter (despite having no oakmoss note), very unpleasant to me and it didn't seem to soften, sweeten or change, just got weaker over time but no less unpleasant. Perhaps how it was put on my skin (wiped off a wet test card) could have impacted on that? I don't know but it was a fairly new bottle i think so unlikely to have gone 'off'.
However, as per my ES EDT experience that may well be in need of re-testing, as I too liked the idea of a fresh, lemony scent without the old school bitterness and had hoped that the ES Cologne would tick that box.
I really wanted it to be right but based on that sampling it wasn't.
I may try to get a sample.

Alex

Jan 27, 2005
May I suggest Dior Homme Cologne as a lemony alternative? Granted it is not in the same vein as the ones you've suggested, but I am wearing it now and could still detect it 10 hours later.
So performance wise it is much better proposition to the ones you thought of.

Sloth

Jan 11, 2019
thanks, I suppose if DHC was a consideration, then so might Chanel Allure homme sport cologne? Possibly less sweet and more sharp citrus than DHC although they both probably dry down to the same place?

ccdan

May 7, 2017
Haven't tested the AdPs, both Chanel PM and Eau Sauvage are pretty weak.

If you want something like Eau Sauvage with superior performance, you should try Xerjoff Fiero and Robert Piguet Cravache(this one can be found heavily discounted every now and then)

divad8

Jan 16, 2019
From what I've tried in the last couple of years: a bottle of Eau Sauvage is weak, a bottle of Chanel PM is terribly weak and a sample of AdP Colonia seems to perform better than the other two. I can't say for sure because the sample I have is a dabber and it's difficult to compare it to an actual bottle, but I'd say AdP has better longevity. The ES I'm familiar with is a 200ml bottle with batch code 8G02 (2018-07), and I've tested Chanel PM from testers at different stores several times. It's a shame the performance of the latter because it smells soooo good...

Latest News