Best masculine oud fragrances without rose

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
Leather oud comes to mind. Also, I've recently smelled and loved Cartier Oud Absolu, which is softer than leather oud-too bad it's also more expensive...

I don't mind rose in oud myself, though.

jkonick

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 16, 2019
I really like Montale Dark Aoud for a straight-forward oud centered fragrance with a nice sandalwood backing it up. Similar to TF Oud Wood but with the Montale house DNA. Although for those who find Montale/Mancera too strong/overwhelming, this one is actually pretty restrained.

Acqua di Parma Oud is interesting with the citrus take on oud, but I don't actually like it that much. I'm not familiar with any other citrus/oud combos but I'm sure there are some out there if anyone has any recommendations.

ultravisitor

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 4, 2014
Louis Vuitton Nuit de Feu

375x500.60031.jpg

Christian Dior Leather Oud

375x500.48386.jpg

cheapimitation

Basenotes Dependent
May 15, 2015
I'm not an oud afficiandao but Cartier Oud and Oud is a nice straightforward oud, not too heavy/loud/synthetic and few adorning notes if any. Can be found decently priced on discounters.

Also seconding LV Nuit de Feu.

Mr. dB

Jul 12, 2022
I've rarely if ever smelled a rose note that I get along with, so I feel you.

I bought bottles of Mancera Aoud Vanille and Versace Oud Noir because I liked my samples so much and they were fairly reasonably priced at discounters. The Mancera is big spicy oud and not too sweet vanilla, while the Versace is a smooth oud, well blended spices, and nice light touch of florals.

I tried and really liked Tom Ford Oud Wood and Gucci Intense Oud but they were way too expensive (the TF) and a bit too expensive (Gucci) for how much I liked them. Acqua di Parma Oud was a fairly nice fresher take on the western oud scent but I wasn't terribly interested in going that direction.

StylinLA

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 9, 2009
I really like Montale Dark Aoud for a straight-forward oud centered fragrance with a nice sandalwood backing it up. Similar to TF Oud Wood but with the Montale house DNA. Although for those who find Montale/Mancera too strong/overwhelming, this one is actually pretty restrained.
Yeah, Dark Aoud is a pretty brutal fragrance. NO rose there for sure. oud and sandalwood. STRONG. Kind of Darth Vaderish to me.

You've been around awhile Stuigi. Have you tried TF Oud Wood? It wasn't ground breaking per se, but I remember as one of the semi early forays by big name perfumers into oud land. It's a good scent.

Last edited:

stuigi

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 3, 2004
Yeah, Dark Aoud is a pretty brutal fragrance. NO rose there for sure. oud and sandalwood. STRONG. Kind of Darth Vaderish to me.

You've been around awhile Stuigi. Have you tried TF Oud Wood? It wasn't ground breaking per se, but I remember as one of the semi early forays by big name perfumers into oud land. It's a good scent.
Sure, but the pepper and cardamom notes don't please me. I sold my bottle a long time ago.

jkonick

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 16, 2019

The older bottles (with black circles on gold background) are a lot stronger than the newer ones (plain gold bottle). I have owned both, and the new one is pretty tame and a bit thin. The older one is not just stronger but has a richer profile in general. Although a "weak" Montale is still about the same strength as your average designer...

Darth Vaderish is a good description haha. There is some vetiver in there too that adds to the dark and murky depths. I've had good success layering it with Encre Noire for a truly "dark side" experience.

Another one I'd add (although I think it's now discontinued) is Atelier Cologne Emeraude Agar. It's a pretty interesting and unique take on oud with a cool, mentholated eucalyptus note - almost like Royal Mayfair with a very medicinal oud note added in to it (nothing animalic at all about this one). There may be a bit of rose but it's not prominent, and it's the greener aspect more than flower petals.

woodnotes55

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 27, 2016

Acqua di Parma Oud is interesting with the citrus take on oud, but I don't actually like it that much. I'm not familiar with any other citrus/oud combos but I'm sure there are some out there if anyone has any recommendations.
I like Dark Oud for an hour then it turns to a chemical mess that lasts a long time.... but I seem to have that issue with almost all Montales so if you like some of them maybe ignore this....

Was going to recommend ADP Colonia Oud. I do like it and it doesn't have rose. Usually the immediate knock is it isn't real oud, but oh well, I think many if not most of the oud fragrances we try this is true, and it smells good. It's not a dirty type oud, and the projection is mild compared to the Montale, but longevity is good.

One other one that goes away from rose, Goutal's newer 1001 Ouds. It goes in the paper/parchment/book direction with the Oud. Also not a projection beast but decent longevity.

Creed Royal Oud, recommended already, is good too. I think the conclusion is I like the milder/smoother style of Oud, so if you want beast mode or barn yard you probably won't like these!!

stuigi

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 3, 2004
I like Dark Oud for an hour then it turns to a chemical mess that lasts a long time.... but I seem to have that issue with almost all Montales so if you like some of them maybe ignore this....

Was going to recommend ADP Colonia Oud. I do like it and it doesn't have rose. Usually the immediate knock is it isn't real oud, but oh well, I think many if not most of the oud fragrances we try this is true, and it smells good. It's not a dirty type oud, and the projection is mild compared to the Montale, but longevity is good.

One other one that goes away from rose, Goutal's newer 1001 Ouds. It goes in the paper/parchment/book direction with the Oud. Also not a projection beast but decent longevity.

Creed Royal Oud, recommended already, is good too. I think the conclusion is I like the milder/smoother style of Oud, so if you want beast mode or barn yard you probably won't like these!!
I have the ADP Oud and like it very much.

jkonick

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 16, 2019

Yeah the AdP is a good option and somewhat unique. I guess I think of it more like Creed Royal Oud - it doesn't smell very much like oud to me, but it has the same attributes one might use to describe oud: woody but with a deeper, more resinous aspect and a kind of incense-like quality. I also prefer the Montale style over-the-top projection, so I'm less inclined toward the more subtle takes like AdP. I suppose I'm also comparing it a bit to AdP Leather which I like much, much more, but it's still a good fragrance in its own right.

Simonxyzz

Jul 1, 2012
I was on a similar search a while back, tiring of the heavier oud/rose combo (though they do blend well). I enjoy the following, but in a cooler season:
Pure Oud by Kilian
Aoud Cuir D’Arabie by Montale
Amber Oud by AbdesSalaam

Nothing particularly floral that I’ve ever picked up. Might be my country upbringing, but I personally have no issue with oud’s barnyard referencing; the bandaid note is perhaps an odd one, but it’s often there.

dogtoe

Aug 5, 2016
My first and still favorite oud is ADP Colonia Oud, already mentioned.

Also look into Perris Oud Imperial. It’s not a party scent due to its heavyweight power, but I enjoy it in more circumspect settings such as evening walks.

onethinline

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 1, 2011
Certainly Dior Leather Oud is the first choice, to me. Kinda naughty smelled up close, but from arm's length it's warm and gentlemanly with maybe some lascivious intentions.

I also really like Amouage Silver Oud (rename of one of the Opuses from the Library Collection). Smells realistically like burning agarwood incense.

maksidrom

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 30, 2003
I like rose & oud combos a lot, even though sometimes it feels like this genre has been played out. I'm on the other end of the spectrum though - I wear rose & oud mostly for personal enjoyment.
Non-rose ouds that I enjoy:
Lalique Homage a L'Homme
Roads Big Sky
Chopard Black Incense Malaki
Art of Shaving Oud Suede

milkbaby

Apr 24, 2021
I totally dig rose oud, so I don't have much to say truth regards to the subject at have other than I do really enjoy Creed Royal Oud though it doesn't strike me as very oudy... so no rose and not much oud either LOL

Tumi Continuum supposedly has an oud accord in it but again doesn't strike me as an oudy fragrance. I do think it's excellent for the price though.

Dane77

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 30, 2011
I'd second Mancera Aoud Vanille and Montale Dark Aoud. In addition, I enjoy these no-rose ouds:

Montale Honey Aoud
Amouage Epic Man
Maison Francis Kurkdjian Oud Cashmere Mood (sadly recently discontinued)
Maître Parfumeur et Gantier Ambre Doré
The Different company Oud for Love and Oud Shamash

Renato

Basenotes Institution
Oct 21, 2002
M7 and Boss Bottled Oud EDP are the only oud scents I wear. No rose smell in either.
I'm amazed at how many Oud scents are listed above - I haven't smelled all but two of them.
Cheers,
Renato

dougczar

Basenotes Institution
Mar 3, 2012
Light Oud:
Creed - Royal Oud
Bruckner - Aoud 1

Heavy Oud:
Stephane Humbert Lucas 777 - 2022 Generation Man
Kerosene - R'Oud Elements
Givenchy - Oud Flamboyant