Best friend is asking for recommendations

Jul 17, 2016
My best friend is in his late 40s and my love of fragrances rubbed off on him. I gave him a 30 ml decant of 2016 Aventus a couple years back and it made a much larger impression on him than I thought. He told me he was down to the last 5ml or so but lost it on vacation and was devastated because it was the best fragrance he's ever smelled. He's always complimented me on the fragrances I wear, and today he asked for recommendations of what to buy.

Background info: He's 47, very blue collar, extremely out going, powerlifter build, short beard. He likes scents that project, not saying he wants to fill the room but he doesn't like skin scents. He's not going to be into finding obscure niche brands on his own. I don't mean this as a knock against him but he's the type that would prefer to be able to say he's wearing Dior/Armani/Gucci instead of Les Indemodables/MDCI/MFK/etc. Basically designer/prive lines over niche. I'm genuinely shocked he liked Aventus the best, I'm going to buy him a bottle for Christmas. In the mean time, I'd like to put together some other recommendations for him based on what I know he likes

The original Armani Aqua Di Gio has been one of his favorites since it came out, he's looking for something new though. I don't know much about aquatics but I've been looking at these: Bvlgari Aqva Pour Homme Atlantique, Armani Adg Profumo, Ralph Lauren Gold Blue Label, Kenzo EDT Homme Intense. They are all good aquatics with good performance and they have a little more depth and maturity IMHO than the original. What else can I have him look at?

Calvin Klein Obsession has been his dinner/date scent for a while now. He made a great choice with it, it smells fantastic on him and really works well with his style. I wish he was more open to niche frags because I'm struggling to think of a good designer equivalent that isn't from the same time period . My initial thought was YSL La Nuit Homme but the current batches don't project well so he wouldn't particularly enjoy them. If he was more into niche I'd suggest thinks like FM Musc Ravageur because I think there's some similarities to Obsession, but I'm drawing a blank on what's available in designer area. Here's what I'm thinking, would love any suggestions: Polo Supreme Cashmere, Davidoff Agar Blend, YSL Opium, YSL Body Kouros, Pasha de Cartier Parfum.

The last one I'd like to focus on is something with a similar style to Aventus. I don't mean clones or frags that smell similar like Cedrat Boise , Explorer or Hacivat. I mean woody frags that have a bright fruity note, strong woods and musk and can be workhorse frags that work well throughout the year. I'm looking at Ralph Lauren Purple Label, Hermes Terre D'Hermes EDT, or Dunhill Icon.These are the three that jumped out to me, what would your picks be? Again, not looking for anything that smells like Aventus, just a bright woody fragrance that works in different seasons and situations.

Thank you for any suggestions, my tastes have drifted away from designers for the most part over the years so coming up with recs he'll actually look into is more challenging than I anticipated.

Aug 16, 2022
If he would try them then a load of samples or decants is ideal. Some other ideas based on experience or theory: ADG Profondo, Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme, Versace Eros Flame, Fahrenheit, Dior Homme 2020.

I believe Aqva Atlantique was discontinued.

Z_LiDs

Basenotes Junkie
Oct 6, 2021
why not a good niche brand ?? instead of paying thousands of € for a common design, I would rather pay the same money but for a good niche, not used by everyone .
.. creed? maybe
... MDCI = for sure
... Xerjoff? yesssss
or better, some good vintage still present on the grey market ad a decent price..

FullCollapse

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 5, 2012
Has your friend tried Aventus Cologne? It's different enough from the original Aventus but still scratches that itch for me when nothing else can. I honestly grew tired of the original and prefer the cologne version now.

He might also check out a few from Xerjoff, which imo kind of straddles the line between niche and high end designer: 1888, Mefisto, 40 Knots etc.

For a strictly designer option, Issey Miyake has some great options. L'eau Bleu is my favorite from the house.

Zenwannabee

Sep 15, 2009
If he’s an ardent AdG wearer, Profumo is an easy choice and a great fragrance. For daytime also, both Bleu de Chanel EDT and Dior Homme 2020 are solid reaches. And I agree that Cartier Pasha is excellent, though I’m not sure is aligns with his tastes. Maybe Declaration would be better.

As a lover of Obsession myself, for a modern romantic fragrance maybe Versace Eros (or the EDP version). And f he’s not averse to iris, Dior Homme Intense or Valentino Uomo are fabulous.

Diddy

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 14, 2015
Armaf Club de Nuit Intense Man. A bit synthetic opening, yep. But dries down to something he will enjoy. And inexpensive.

And the vintage lover in me says to pick from NCFR’s list. :)

JyyskNotes

Mar 12, 2012
Has your friend tried Aventus Cologne? It's different enough from the original Aventus but still scratches that itch for me when nothing else can. I honestly grew tired of the original and prefer the cologne version now.

He might also check out a few from Xerjoff, which imo kind of straddles the line between niche and high end designer: 1888, Mefisto, 40 Knots etc.

For a strictly designer option, Issey Miyake has some great options. L'eau Bleu is my favorite from the house.
I second 40 Knots. Fits perfectly for OPs description of the guy. Even though it may be a tad expensive I would say it is better value for money than the majority of the generic designers.

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
Calvin Klein Obsession has been his dinner/date scent for a while now. He made a great choice with it, it smells fantastic on him and really works well with his style. I wish he was more open to niche frags because I'm struggling to think of a good designer equivalent that isn't from the same time period . My initial thought was YSL La Nuit Homme but the current batches don't project well so he wouldn't particularly enjoy them. If he was more into niche I'd suggest thinks like FM Musc Ravageur because I think there's some similarities to Obsession, but I'm drawing a blank on what's available in designer area. Here's what I'm thinking, would love any suggestions: Polo Supreme Cashmere, Davidoff Agar Blend, YSL Opium, YSL Body Kouros, Pasha de Cartier Parfum.
I don't have as much insight on Aventus or ADG type scents, but for the Obsession adjacent zone he might look into Chanel Egoiste (though it's not exactly modern, either). La Nuit Homme is also a good suggestion. Some others to consider, maybe: Valentino Uomo, Dior Homme Intense, Spicebomb (maybe Spicebomb Extreme), or Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille. If he likes stronger performing designer style scents, he might also love things like Layton or Herod from Parfums de Marly.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...