Best Amber Fragrance?

Trebor

Apr 8, 2006
It is not bad. Their Lavendar is nice with some cumin thrown in (like declaration).
Rose is good too.
Nothing extraordinary but nice fragrances that last long. The Amber is the best of the lot. I don't know what you can buy it for but if under $50 I would recommend.
The biggest problem I found with this house is that all the fragrances are top heavy. But those interesting top notes are fleeting, and the bases are both bland and insubstantial.

Amber Loup is indeed one of the better offerings but only by a margin, IMHO.

epapsiou

Always be smelling
Basenotes Plus
Sep 28, 2015
The biggest problem I found with this house is that all the fragrances are top heavy. But those interesting top notes are fleeting, and the bases are both bland and insubstantial.

Amber Loup is indeed one of the better offerings but only by a margin, IMHO.
I see where you are coming from and I agree in terms of lack of note evolution. The good thing is top stays for a long time and that is not a bad thing in this case. Again , it depends on the price. I looked online and the retail is $150 for 50ml. Certainly not worth it but if it can be had under $50 from online discounter I would recommend it. At least the Amber Loup

Mythrol

Jun 28, 2015
Just as an update I think my wife and I have settled on New York Amber by Bond no. 9.

It really comes off as Amber without a lot of the smoke or heavy oud that other Amber fragrances tend to use.

Amber Nuit was also a good pick up that I liked. But there's something about New York Amber. So good. Especially for those who want a more unisex Amber without any feminine lean.

jhericurls

Jun 28, 2013
Seeing as I love AA, I've ordered a sample of Rania J based on your recommendation.

Been sampling Rania J. Ambre Loup and can't say I like it much. The opening isn't pleasant to my nose, get a sweet mouldy smell. The drydown is better when the boozy amber comes out. But overall feels rather flat, after about 2 hours become a soft scent and smell slightly similar to Chergui. Amber Absolute is still light years ahead.

Last edited:

ScentsSibyl

Sep 1, 2015
Been sampling Rania J. Ambre Loup and can't say I like it much. The opening isn't pleasant to my nose, get a sweet mouldy smell. The drydown is better when the boozy amber comes out. But overall feels rather flat, after about 2 hours become a soft scent and smell slightly similar to Chergui. Amber Absolute is still light years ahead.

Absolutely agree with you! Based on recommendations of fellow, respected amber-lovers, I blind purchased Ambre Loup. GAH! It was an immense disappointment. TF Private Reserve Amber Absolute is still the best amber to be had, though I will say MPG's Ambre Dore and Ambre Precieux Ultime come very, very close. I also discovered an indie, Thoth by House of Orpheus, which is also quite amazing.

Sniffers

Nov 23, 2011
I love amber and there's a lot of good ones others have mentioned...these are currently 2 favorites of mine...

Amouage Opus VI...surprised there was only one mention of this...seems to be everyones favorite out of the Opus line...a really beautiful variation on amber...

Lubin Akkad...really surprised no one mentioned this...very smooth and wearable...nice citrus in the opening and then dries down to a nice resin flavored amber...definitely unisex...a very calming/meditative type of scent, and to me, an office friendly amber...also impressed by the longevity of this one...

Mrnybluesman

Jun 10, 2012
I am a fan of amber based fragrance. For my personal taste Amber Absolute, Amouage OpusVI...as previously mentioned and Amber Nuit do the trick.

ScentsSibyl

Sep 1, 2015
I recently discovered an amber perfume that takes a strong placing next to Tom Ford Amber Absolute, MPG Ambre Precieux and Ambre Precieux Ultime. I've worn it a few times since obtaining a bottle, and the sillage and longevity are incredible, especially for an artisan House.

Thoth, by House of Orpheus. The House is in BN's database, but not the perfume as it's a limited edition so click on the name to be magically transported.

James Peterson

Dec 20, 2011
I hope that people will try Brooklyn Perfume Company's amber. It's not amber like we normally think, but an amber perfume made with actual fossilized amber--the kind that is used for jewelry. The smell is acrid but alluring and when sweetened slightly and lent some balsamic notes, makes what I think is an elegant perfume. It is extremely long lasting. When applied at night it remains the next morning. Don't confuse amber with ambergris. I'm working on that but it won't come out for a while.

litworth

Mar 6, 2010
Ambra Aurea having tried many. I’ve even been doing arm vs arm tests tournament style and the final round was between Ambr Aurea and MPGs Ambre Preceuix. The mpg is nice but no match the Ambre Aurea smells a little richer and meaningful to me, whereas the mpg smells at times overly powdery.

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
So many... To cite a few I love:

DS&Durga - Teutonic Amber (and its cheaper alternative L'Artisan - L'Eau d'Ambre Extreme)
HdP - Ambrarem
Goutal - Ambre Fetiche
Masque - Tango
Villoresi - Ambra
Yamamoto - I'm not going to disturb you
Dior - Ambre Nuit (the oil, not the alcohol perfume)

Only one? Probably HdP Ambrarem.

ImaFedec

Sep 12, 2019
Old thread but since it has been revived I must add:

Free by Marc Buxton.

One of the nicest amber drydown I have come across. If you are not into resins, wait 15-20mn once applying. I had mixed reaction at the opening. But what came after was a delight.

Shadowartisttxl

Mar 25, 2016
I got a free sample of Alghabra Parfums 'King of Flowers,' which totally has nothing to do with flowers, but is a kind of 'amber soliflore' that goes through many different stages of amber that I find really appealing. It's not novel at all, but it absolutely rules. I was able to get a bottle for 110 and I think it's definitely worth that cost.
Otherwise, Ambre Sultan, Sogno Reale, Shiny Amber and Tango are where I would go.

Latest News