Best Amber Fragrance?

La Flâneuse

Sep 22, 2012
I second this and briefly owned a bottle the same year it was released.

Well, there was me thinking everyone was slating the re-issued (new design packaging) bottles!

I bought my original AF ages ago and think it's one of the most potent fragrances I own, with nuclear longevity to boot, I don't know what to say, maybe your noses overdose on the lovely amber goodness and go into shutdown to prevent permanent damage? ;)

I still regard it as one of my favourites, and an excellent amber fragrance, and you have inspired me to dig it out today for a generous wearing!

pants

Dec 21, 2013
my favorite is l'ombre fauve by parfumerie generale. unlike most of the other ambers mentioned, which i would describe as "chewy" & "thick," l'ombre fauve is very dry, somewhat animalic & gauzy. i LOVE it. people describe a weird furriness to it/wet dog, which i do NOT get at all, but i like my fragrances to be a little weird/have a touch of the raunch (e.g., i love cumin & castoreum, etc.). it reminds me of the smell i get when i bury my nose in the nape of my partner's neck. very sexy. and very unisexxxy.

Mythrol

Jun 28, 2015
Out of all the Ambers I've listed I prefer Dior Ambre Nuit the best so far. It's really nice, long lasting, and rich. But it doesn't feel overly heavy and/or animalic like something like Mystique does. I do like Mystique too but it comes off very masculine to me and my wife. She doesn't think she could wear it at all, and I tend to agree. Dark Amber feels like a fresh Amber. The most people pleasing of the bench. But not the deep rich Amber my wife and I were looking for.

We have found some Amber oils in Etsy that sound very interesting, we are thinking of trying some of them next.

danieq

Jul 17, 2013
As I have been continuing the test I would like to add two more to the list.

First, Kuumba Made Amber Paste. This is a thick paste that is applied with a wand. It's got a very 'pure amber' vibe. Of course, Amber isn't it's own thing, but an accord so they vary, but this one reads like what I find in the base of many amber scents. Also, it's super cheap and available at your local Sprouts for about $10.

Second is Aroma M Geisha Noire oil. I am really getting incredible lasting power and depth out of this scent.

ScentsSibyl

Sep 1, 2015
As I have been continuing the test I would like to add two more to the list.

First, Kuumba Made Amber Paste. This is a thick paste that is applied with a wand. It's got a very 'pure amber' vibe. Of course, Amber isn't it's own thing, but an accord so they vary, but this one reads like what I find in the base of many amber scents. Also, it's super cheap and available at your local Sprouts for about $10.

Second is Aroma M Geisha Noire oil. I am really getting incredible lasting power and depth out of this scent.

A resounding YES to both of these! I have a plethora of amber perfumes, and both of these are among them. And just wait until Geisha Noire ages a bit. Holy Moley!!

ComDiva

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 4, 2006
I'm testing Amber's at the moment as well. So far, I'm finding the following very interesting.

Profumum Roma Ambra Aurea (very smoky and dense, this is strong stuff, don't spray too much, but also very smooth)

Profumum Roma Fiori di Ambre (floral amber, creamy and smooth)

Serge Lutens Amber Sultan (grown up dry, spicy, woody. I wouldn't call this an especially warm amber so far)

Another vote for these three, plus Tom Ford Amber Absolute and MPG Ambre Precieux. I also enjoy Jo Malone's Dark Amber and Ginger Lily, but it *might* skew more "traditionally feminine" than you'd like.

Last edited:

James Peterson

Dec 20, 2011
My experience with amber perfumes is limited, but those I have smelled seem to be based on various fantasies relating to labdanum, vanillin, etc. Few, if any, are based on actual fossilized amber. These perfumes (in the interest of full disclosure, I produce one for the Brooklyn Perfume Company) are completely different than the typical amber fantasy. My own interpretation juxtaposes the phenolic amber with a frightful amount of vanilla (not vanillin) which softens the whole effect. The perfume is not for everyone: it is persistent, woody, and a bit burnt. I (and my husband who swore he'd never wear any scent) happen to love it. Any feedback would be most welcome.

Diamondflame

Frag Bomber 1st Squadron
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2009
My experience with amber perfumes is limited, but those I have smelled seem to be based on various fantasies relating to labdanum, vanillin, etc. Few, if any, are based on actual fossilized amber. These perfumes (in the interest of full disclosure, I produce one for the Brooklyn Perfume Company) are completely different than the typical amber fantasy.

Absolutely agree with this. Unfortunately that's generally how amber scents are expected to smell like these days.

If anyone is thinking of resinous unsweetened amber, try out La Via del Profumo's Amber series.

DuNezDeBuzier

Nov 7, 2009
My experience with amber perfumes is limited, but those I have smelled seem to be based on various fantasies relating to labdanum, vanillin, etc. Few, if any, are based on actual fossilized amber. These perfumes (in the interest of full disclosure, I produce one for the Brooklyn Perfume Company) are completely different than the typical amber fantasy. My own interpretation juxtaposes the phenolic amber with a frightful amount of vanilla (not vanillin) which softens the whole effect. The perfume is not for everyone: it is persistent, woody, and a bit burnt.... Any feedback would be most welcome.

Agreed.

If the idea of patchouli oil does not scare you off, I'd definitely suggest checking this one out, fossilized amber (I got a vial from eden botanical), and Farmacia SS. Annunziata's Patchouly Indonesiano and Ambra Nera. Definitely the darker side of amber...thick, earthy and honest.

danieq

Jul 17, 2013
Wondering what the original poster went with.

I have to add that I've now gained possession of a bottle of MPEG Ambre D'Ore and I love it, but a LOT Of people feel it is a bit barnyard, and I can't deny that it has that vibe in the beginning. So I'd be sure to test first.

Also, do try Geisha Noire, it is a stunning and very unisex.

If you're still looking at options, Lorenzo Villoresi Ambra is stunning, slightly green in the opening and unisex all the way.

Mythrol

Jun 28, 2015
I'm still searching. I've tried quite a few Amber fragrances but since I want one that both my wife and I can wear there seems to be a limited number that work.

I find most oud and amber combos don't work well for my wife and she can't stand it. So far Dior Ambre Nuit (technically Ambergris) and Bond No 9 NY Amber have been the closest to matching what we are looking for. I might end up getting a full bottle of NY Amber. That stuff smells great.

Diddy

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 14, 2015
Lots of solid recommendations to begin a "The Quest For THE Amber" thread. I just had to...

You're welcome,
Your brother

PS. I'll be happy to hold some of your recent acquisitions while you find an amber. For safe keeping, of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

naylor

Oct 24, 2011
Stephane Humbert Lucas O'Hira was the winner in my search for the ultimate amber. But spoiler alert ... it's not very affordable.

Birdboy48

Jul 10, 2011
I'll have to say, I really like Ambre 114, but after reading a number of positive reviews, I purchased Kalemat (spray) from overseas, and find it to be just wonderful stuff.

Dorje123

Feb 15, 2011
Agreed.

If the idea of patchouli oil does not scare you off, I'd definitely suggest checking this one out, fossilized amber (I got a vial from eden botanical), and Farmacia SS. Annunziata's Patchouly Indonesiano and Ambra Nera. Definitely the darker side of amber...thick, earthy and honest.

Pretty sure Profumo's Ambre Aurea has both real fossilized amber and ambergris in there too.

I was lucky enough to get a bottle of Agar Aura's Amber Oud.. this has fossilized amber, real ambergris, oud and other more typical "amber" ingredients and is incredible, none of the commercial offerings come close imo...

Another that hasn't been mentioned is MFK's Absolue Pour le Soir, not sure I'd call it a typical amber fragrance but it has an amber vibe to it.

Marais

Semi-Retired Member
Basenotes Plus
Nov 2, 2011
Can anyone comment on Villoresi's Ambra? Is it comparable to anything? Sweet, spicy? I've read the few reviews but feel none-the-wiser :(

danieq

Jul 17, 2013
Can anyone comment on Villoresi's Ambra? Is it comparable to anything? Sweet, spicy? I've read the few reviews but feel none-the-wiser :(

This is a gorgeous green type of amber. Very different from anything else I have seen. Highly recommended though, it's addicting.

Jun 10, 2012
I really love AG's Amber Fetiche. However, as with most perfumes I've tested/own from this house, it has poor longevity and a silage that rapidly dwindles.

I second this and briefly owned a bottle the same year it was released.

Agree with this. Even though I love the composition, it is very weak. Lasts about 5 hours from 7-8 sprays.

Ambre Russe has become a new favourite.

montagne

Dec 22, 2013
A month ago I would have said Al Ghar, by Abdul Samad Al Qurashi.

However, in the interim I have discovered the Brooklyn Perfume Company's Amber. Exquisite.

James Peterson

Dec 20, 2011
Dear freewheelingvagabond,
I would love it if you would try the amber from Brooklyn Perfume Company. It isn't amber in the usual sense but is actually made with distilled fossilized amber, giving it an acridity that's quite lovely when balanced with the right ingredients. Unfortunately, because of my agreement with Twisted Lily in Brooklyn, I'm not allowed to sell samples directly. They sell a set of four samples (the whole line) for $16.
jamespeterson

Tonyprince

Jan 1, 2007
This is a gorgeous green type of amber. Very different from anything else I have seen. Highly recommended though, it's addicting.

I agree with this comment about Villoresi's Ambra. I just ordered a bottle after having been sniffing a sample for a few weeks. This fragrance was never a part of his collection. I guess it was a limited edition before he released as part of his "Vintage Collection." I wore Piper Nigrum today. I love almost all of LV's early stuff. I just don't get what he's been doing for the past 15 years. I hope people still pay attention to his earlier creations, which are unique and wonderful. His Ambra is definitely in that league.

mr. reasonable

Jan 1, 2009
Not my favorite genre but of the big three - Lutens, MPG and HDP - I reckon Ambre 114 gets it right.

The Opus one (VI ??) is also excellent.

Just get all 4 and see how you feel on the day :)

Buzzlepuff

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 27, 2005
I had posted earlier TF Amber Absolute, which is very good but my new favorite amber is Rania J. Ambre Loup - smokey, dark, mysterious. Worth the trouble to find it.

ScentsSibyl

Sep 1, 2015
I had posted earlier TF Amber Absolute, which is very good but my new favorite amber is Rania J. Ambre Loup - smokey, dark, mysterious. Worth the trouble to find it.

Seeing as I love AA, I've ordered a sample of Rania J based on your recommendation.

Based on the recommendations of others, I ordered Rania J Ambre Loup as well. I've also tried Tauerville Amber Flash and Maître Parfumeur et Gantier Ambre D'Ore. I still prefer TF Amber Absolute.

Dorje123

Feb 15, 2011
Ambre Loup is great, a bit "lightweight" in feel and a nice herbal, leather, boozy amber. Kafkaesque loves it fwiw...

From the ones I've tried Profumo's ambers stand out, especially Ambra Aurea, MPeG's Ambre Precieux Ultime is also really nice. MFK's Absolue Pour Le Soir is a bit category-bending but could be considered an amber, kinda..

epapsiou

Always be smelling
Basenotes Plus
Sep 28, 2015
I got Rania J sampler based on recommendation here. Amber Loup is perhaps what OP is looking for. Definitely worth a try as sampler pack is cheap

Trebor

Apr 8, 2006
I got Rania J sampler based on recommendation here. Amber Loup is perhaps what OP is looking for. Definitely worth a try as sampler pack is cheap
Yes, the sampler pack is indeed cheap. Sadly, it's not a great niche house and Amber Loup is very underwhelming for an amber scent.

I'll be posting reviews on this house later this month.

epapsiou

Always be smelling
Basenotes Plus
Sep 28, 2015
Yes, the sampler pack is indeed cheap. Sadly, it's not a great niche house and Amber Loup is very underwhelming for an amber scent.

I'll be posting reviews on this house later this month.
It is not bad. Their Lavendar is nice with some cumin thrown in (like declaration).
Rose is good too.
Nothing extraordinary but nice fragrances that last long. The Amber is the best of the lot. I don't know what you can buy it for but if under $50 I would recommend.

Latest News