Best Amber Fragrance?

Mythrol

Jun 28, 2015
Hello fellow Basenoters!

I've been recently trying a lot of Bond No. 9 fragrances and stumbled across New York Amber. It's a great blend of Amber and oud and rose. My wife and I both loved it and it raised the above question:

What is the best Amber Fragrance? Preferably one both my wife and I could wear.

Thanks!

Monkeys

Oct 12, 2015
Use the search option since I don't remember where it was... There is a very recent thread asking about members' favorite amber based fragrances.

Duke Hunt

Sep 17, 2010
Depends on what you're looking for:

Simple, exotic luxury:

Royal Amber Spirt AAA

Simple and refined:

-Ambre Precieux
-Ambre 114

Exotic and Complex:

-Ambre Sultan
-Ambre Dore
-Ambra Mediteranea
-Ambre Russe

Last edited:

danieq

Jul 17, 2013
I'm testing Amber's at the moment as well. So far, I'm finding the following very interesting.

Profumum Roma Ambra Aurea (very smoky and dense, this is strong stuff, don't spray too much, but also very smooth)

Profumum Roma Fiori di Ambre (floral amber, creamy and smooth)

Serge Lutens Amber Sultan (grown up dry, spicy, woody. I wouldn't call this an especially warm amber so far)

badarun

Jan 15, 2013
Top 2 in my books are MPEG's Ambre Preciaux or HdP's Ambre 114.

Amber Sultan / TF's Amber Absolute / Kalemat will round up the top 5...

Primrose

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 22, 2009
For me, it's Estee Lauder Amber Mystique, a rose/oud amber.

Otherwise, Ambre Precieux, Ambre Russe and Ambre Sultan.

Subhuman

Jan 21, 2010
Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense (ignore the name, it's perfectly unisex) is one of the few ambers that don't drive me nuts with cloying sweetness. It's elegant, but with a bohemian, incense-y vibe, and relatively dry.

Vernona

May 4, 2014
I like this thread as I myself am looking to add some ambers to my collection.

My favourites so far:
Ambre Russe - sweet and boozy
Ambre Sultan - herbal, dark, classic, can be had at a very good price
Ambre 114 - powdery, comforting.
L'Air du Desert Marrocain - masterpiece but not sure if I could wear it.

I am yet to try Ambre Precieux and Ambra Aurea asap.

ScentsSibyl

Sep 1, 2015
I adore amber/amber blend perfumes. I haven't tried them all, but not for lack of trying! :wink:

Here are a few from my wardrobe, in order of preference:

Tom Ford Amber Absolute - Private Blend
M. Micallef Shanaan and Black Sea
Aroma M Geisha Noire
MPG Ambre D'Ore as well as Eau de Mure
Amouage Jubilation XXV (original formula) - for men, to my nose superior to formulas for women or recent releases
Mendittorosa Id
Tiziana Terenzi Ecstasy
Serge Lutens Rousse, as well as Serge Noire, Ambre Sultan, and Cedre
Roja Dove Enslaved
Phaedon Sable Marocain

I have a few more, but these are the ambers for which I reach most often.

james1051

Jul 23, 2013
I'm testing Amber's at the moment as well. So far, I'm finding the following very interesting.

Profumum Roma Ambra Aurea (very smoky and dense, this is strong stuff, don't spray too much, but also very smooth)

Profumum Roma Fiori di Ambre (floral amber, creamy and smooth)

Serge Lutens Amber Sultan (grown up dry, spicy, woody. I wouldn't call this an especially warm amber so far)

Agree w danieq. The two Profumum ambers are very hard to beat. And different enough from each other to justify having both in a winter wardrobe.

schnozz

Apr 7, 2015
Repeating what has been mention by several, look to Gantier for Ambre Precieux, Ambre Dore, or Ambre Precieux Ultime.

La Flâneuse

Sep 22, 2012
I really love AG's Amber Fetiche. However, as with most perfumes I've tested/own from this house, it has poor longevity and a silage that rapidly dwindles.

I don't know if you have the more recent version of it, which I found to be weak and 'neutered' the original release was/is a stonker of a fragrance and lasts 24 hours on me easily. I really love it.
If you can get one of the older bottles you'll find it's a different, more potent scent entirely

La Flâneuse

Sep 22, 2012
Someone tell more about Amber Fetiche, I am thinking I want to try this one.

Older reformulation- gorgeous leather with benzoin and amber, I think alfarom described it as 'brutal' lasts at least 24 hours, on clothing longer. Fragrantica has all the old style bottles listed for this one. Well worth trying out.
This is the old style sample splash bottle on the US
ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANNICK-GO...435295?hash=item463ebf4d5f:g:~OoAAOSwLVZVujqG

New formulation- weak, spineless, lacking the oomph it had before, and pales in comparison

edit to add link

Last edited:

chypre

Oct 10, 2006
Older reformulation- gorgeous leather with benzoin and amber, I think alfarom described it as 'brutal' lasts at least 24 hours, on clothing longer. Fragrantica has all the old style bottles listed for this one. Well worth trying out.
This is the old style sample splash bottle on the US
ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANNICK-GO...435295?hash=item463ebf4d5f:g:~OoAAOSwLVZVujqG

New formulation- weak, spineless, lacking the oomph it had before, and pales in comparison

edit to add link

Well, that's disappointing to hear....

Buzzlepuff

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 27, 2005
Tom Ford Amber Absolute - a great amber fragrance and it is available again after a long absence but only for a limited time.
Sahara Noir - also by Tom Ford this is a dark amber with incense woods base.

Mythrol

Jun 28, 2015
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I've got a list to try now I'm looking forward to. Already picked up a couple like Ambre Mystique (cheaper than a sample of many of the others), Dior Ambre Nuit. Sultan and 114 are on my fast list to get samples of.

LadyDragonFire

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 21, 2011
I think I would probably pick "The One" by Dolce & Gabbana as best amber-based perfume I've ever tried. Maybe that's not fair though, I kind of feel like a person should probably try a huge amount of perfumes before making that decision! Still, though, I know I love "The One" enough that I'd probably include it on a top ten list of best perfumes ever!

Today, I'm actually wearing "Ambre Sultan" by Serge Lutens, and it is definitely an amber masterpiece as well! I find I like it more when it dries down to more of a skin scent, after I've been wearing it for a few hours! I mostly like the base notes of the fragrance.

LadyDragonFire

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 21, 2011
I also just wanted to add that I also agree with the comment that "Ambre Sultan" by Serge Lutens isn't a particularly warm amber fragrance! The colour that was chosen for the fragrance is a deep, rich, firy orange like the colour of hot glowing coal, but honestly, if I'd made the fragrance and was in charge of the marketing for it I would have picked deep, forest green as it's colour! It has lots of very prominent green, herbal, bitter and woody notes! Mind you, it also smells a lot like smoke and burning wood, so yeah, the firy orange is definitely right for that! As we said, it is a highly complex amber fragrance.

"The One" by Dolce and Gabbana, on the other hand (the one I nominated as best amber based fragrance lol) really fits a completely different fragrance category! It mostly smells like peach-flavored oolong tea more than anything else, and can definitely best be categorized as a sweet-gourmand vanilla-based oriental as much as it is an amber based perfume as well. It definitely fits the category of "warm and comforting amber", and is very much a soothing spa scent packaged in a perfume bottle!

LadyDragonFire

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 21, 2011
I also want to add: another really great amber-based perfume that I love is "Midnight Fantasy" by Britney Spears. Seriously, I'm not joking! Even if you're not a Britney Spears fan, this is actually a really great perfume! It probably also falls more under the category of a warm or comforting amber, so I highly recommend trying a sample of it if that's what you're looking for! You can also try "Hidden Fantasy" by Britney Spears. It's also definitely a warm and comforting amber scent! Personally, I like "Midnight Fantasy" a lot more though!
Also, if you dislike the bottles (personally, I love them, but everyone's different) you can probably find them in roller-balls too, although I'm not sure because I honestly haven't checked. I know that many current and trendy perfumes are available in roller-balls though.

Edit: "Rocker Femme Fantasy" by Britney Spears is really excellent too if you're looking for a warm and comforting amber scent. I just tried it today for the first time, and I'm loving it! It's very warm and sensual, I highly recommend trying a sample of this one. :)

Last edited:

LadyDragonFire

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 21, 2011
Actually, guys, I was just looking up a bunch of my favorite perfumes, and I realized that almost everything I love usually has amber is the base, including:

"Radiance" by Britney Spears
"Cosmic Radiance" by Britney Spears
"Armani Mania" for women
"Pure Poison" by Dior
"Coco" by Chanel
"Opium" by Yves Saint Laurent for women
"Paris" by Yves Saint Laurent
"Beautiful" by Estee Lauder
"Ysatis" by Givenchy
"Viva La Juicy Gold Couture" by Juicy Couture
"Eternity" by Calvin Klein

Yeah, basically, almost every one of my favorite perfumes has amber in the base. These are all fantastic, by the way. I recommend all of them! :)

Caron33

Sep 3, 2007
Amber fragrances are my favorites. I recommend MPG Ambre Dore', CSP Vanille Ambre, L'Artisan Ambre Extreme and Hermes L'Ambre des Merveilles.

Latest News