Benzyl aldehyde / indole Schiff base

Jun 20, 2020
Has anyone ever smelled this? I made BA/MA (amandolene) and it smells great but doesn’t have the substantivity I was hoping for. Thinking that since it’s a larger molecule (2 BA groups) it should be longer lasting. Seems like it could either be nice or horrid. I can’t find it on TGSC. I’ll try to whip it up if nobody has experience with it or if it’s nice…

Thanks,
animalic

parker25mv

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 12, 2016
it smells great but doesn’t have the substantivity I was hoping for
That's interesting. From what we know, we would predict it should have good longevity, being a larger molecule.

I don't think we actually really know all that much about Schiff bases. There are still many questions, things we don't really fully understand that well.

Could you maybe try and give us more details about your experiments, and how you compared it to another material?
And try to clearly define for us exactly what you mean by substantivity?

Is the smell just weaker to begin with, or do you think it is not persisting as long?
I would hypothesise the problem is the first one.

Jun 20, 2020
I used both MA and BA neat. I think the reaction wasn’t working because the magnesium sulfate was old and needed to be dried out in the oven first. I’ll try the indole and BA after the heat subsides…

pkiler

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
I used both MA and BA neat. I think the reaction wasn’t working because the magnesium sulfate was old and needed to be dried out in the oven first. I’ll try the indole and BA after the heat subsides…
How does magnesium sulfate relate to a schiff base such as this conversation?

Jun 20, 2020
I use anhydrous mgso4 to pull water out of the solution to drive the reaction forward and then filter it out afterwards.

Latest News