beginner open for inspiration

Sep 28, 2022
Dear base notes members,

I am so happy to have discovered this forum. I have been lurking for a week and you guys have inspired me to restart this passion of perfume making. During my high-school years, I dabbled in making my own scents, but only by using basic essential oils. Meanwhile, this forum has introduced me to so much valuable information and creativity. Thank you for that!

Currently I am building my selection.

I am mostly interested in powdery, musky types of scents such as the Prada Infusions line, as well as salty, seaweedy marines like Acqua di Sale (Profumum) or Oud Minerale (Tom Ford).

Any feedback, inspiration, or recommendations based on my choices are very welcome. Perhaps there are some essentials, that you might think are missing. I was thinking a few more musks, an aldehyde, florals and woods might be needed to expand my understanding a little more.

This is what I am starting out with:

Alpha Ionone
Amber Core
Ambroxan Benzaldehyde
Benzoin Resinoid, Siam Bergamot EO Cascalone
Cashmeran
Cedarwood EO, Virginian Cedramber
Coumarin
Ethylene Brassylate Frankincense EO Grapefruit EO
Green Mandarin EO Hedione
ISO E Super
Iris EO
Kephalis
Lavender EO
Leather Oud
Lime EO
Methyl Ionone Gamma Mint EO
Nerol
Pepper EO
Perfumers alcohol
Pino Acetaldehyde Sandalore
Sweet Orange EO Veramoss
Yuzu EO

pkiler

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
Yes, some musks like Muscenone, Silvanone Supra, Velvione, Ambrettolide.
Scentenal, Helional, Adoxal can be helpful for Marine notes. And maybe the tiniest tiniest touch of seaweed absolute.

Sep 28, 2022
That's a nice start you can built lots with what you have there. I may also suggest some DPG to dilute strong materials such as Cascalone.
Thank you for the input! I did manage to dissolve the cascalone relatively easy by using alcohol, although the process could’ve been a little smoother. I do need to make myself a little more acquainted with dpg and its usage!

Sep 28, 2022
Yes, some musks like Muscenone, Silvanone Supra, Velvione, Ambrettolide.
Scentenal, Helional, Adoxal can be helpful for Marine notes. And maybe the tiniest tiniest touch of seaweed absolute.
I just placed an order. I chose slightly different musks. I was desperately searching for a reasonably sized (and prized) Seaweed Absolue! I was thinking to go with the Oak Moss abs. instead, and figure something out from there. The Scental should be very helpful I believe!

Galaxolide 50% in IPM (IFF) - 50 ml​
Cinnamic aldehyde - 10 ml​
Aldehyde C12 MNA - 10 ml​
Auralva (IFF) aurantiol - 10 ml​
Ethyl linalool - 10 ml​
Timbersilk (IFF) - 50 ml​
Vertofix coeur (IFF) - 10 ml​
Oak moss abs 5% in DPG - 10 ml​
Scentenal (Fir) - 10 ml​
Clearwood (Fir) - 10 ml​
Habanolide Subst (Fir) - 50 ml​

ourmess

Basenotes Junkie
Apr 25, 2018
You can get small amounts of seaweed absolute here. It may seem expensive but you're probably going to dilute it down to 1%, where it will still be pretty potent. So even 2 grams neat becomes 200 grams at 1% dilution.

chyprefresh

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 15, 2018
I only use ethanol for stuff like Ambroxan/Cetalox/Vanillin powders, where it crystalizes more easily in colder temps in dpg, but won't in ethanol.
And I'd suggest some muguet materials such as Cis 3 Hexenyl Salicylate, Lilial, Hydroxycitronellal, Lilyflore, and the amazing but banned/restricted Lyral (for study purposes).

Sep 28, 2022
You can get small amounts of seaweed absolute here. It may seem expensive but you're probably going to dilute it down to 1%, where it will still be pretty potent. So even 2 grams neat becomes 200 grams at 1% dilution.
Thank you! Unfortunately, I got to focus on stores from within the EU. But that is on my list for next time.

Sep 28, 2022
I only use ethanol for stuff like Ambroxan/Cetalox/Vanillin powders, where it crystalizes more easily in colder temps in dpg, but won't in ethanol.
And I'd suggest some muguet materials such as Cis 3 Hexenyl Salicylate, Lilial, Hydroxycitronellal, Lilyflore, and the amazing but banned/restricted Lyral (for study purposes).
That is interesting. I've got to check that out. The muguet materials are a good call, yes! I almost got the Cis 3 Hexenyl Salicylate. But then again I had to narrow down the cart. I should've looked for a cheaper hobby, I am afraid. :LOL:

hemmett

Nov 28, 2017
cis-3-Hexenyl salicylate is essential for AdS. And benzyl salicylate. It definitely has loads of Musk T too.
It is as well for Oud Minerale in large dosis (32% !). However, looking at @alberteinstein order list, he might be ordering at Hekserij (am I right? ;)) and Cis-3-Hexenyl Salicylate has been out of stock for months. I have been waiting for several months. Amyl Salicylate could be a possible (but obviously not 100% identical) replacement.

Sep 28, 2022
Th
It is as well for Oud Minerale in large dosis (32% !). However, looking at @alberteinstein order list, he might be ordering at Hekserij (am I right? ;)) and Cis-3-Hexenyl Salicylate has been out of stock for months. I have been waiting for several months. Amyl Salicylate could be a possible (but obviously not 100% identical) replacement.
That is correct. :D And thanks for the valuable insight! I'd be thrilled to learn more about what you found out. :love:

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...