Been loving me some Ropion lately - what's your current top 3?

Dane

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 9, 2002
I can't possibly do a poll with his back catalogue, but I'm sure we all know our favs.

Currently, mine are:
1. Jasmins Marzipan - the perfect, simple jasmine. Beautiful.
2. Caron Aimez Moi - a 90s marvel of mint, licorice, violets and mint. Addictive.
3. Une Fleur de Cassie - this will always be my no. 1. The weirdness, complexity...I don't know what it currently smells like but I'm glad I got a backup bottle.

IsoESuperman

People of Zee Wurl, Relax
Basenotes Plus
Dec 30, 2015
I knew he had made a number of popular perfumes but I never associated Ropion with a specific perfume(s). After looking at his output (thanks for the link!) I'd say:

Jungle L'Éléphant
Carnal Flower
Casual Friday

Lalique le Parfum keeps popping up on BN and my interest is piqued. @Dane 's description of Aimez Moi has me intrigued as well.

Dane

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 9, 2002
I knew he had made a number of popular perfumes but I never associated Ropion with a specific perfume(s). After looking at his output (thanks for the link!) I'd say:

Jungle L'Éléphant
Carnal Flower
Casual Friday

Lalique le Parfum keeps popping up on BN and my interest is piqued. @Dane 's description of Aimez Moi has me intrigued as well.
I just bought the Lalique, because it's so affordable. I don't wanna diss anyone's fav - and no doubt it's been changed over the years - but it's not for me. I get heavy dryer sheet vibes.

Thanks for a the responses, I have some research to do on some that I've yet to try.

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014

Jungle L'Éléphant
Carnal Flower
Casual Friday

Call me intrigued about Lalique Le Parfum as well after tdem1961’s recommendation and the reviews here.

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014
I just bought the Lalique, because it's so affordable. I don't wanna diss anyone's fav - and no doubt it's been changed over the years - but it's not for me. I get heavy dryer sheet vibes.

Thanks for a the responses, I have some research to do on some that I've yet to try.

Ah the fatal “dryer sheet” vibe! Curious to know if this is a consequence of reformulation...

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019
Are you confusing Le Parfum with Lalique Lalique (originally released in 1992, reformulated a few times after that)? The latter I could see giving off drier sheet vibes.

Le Parfum feels like Ropion's version of something like Shalimar or Boucheron Jaïpur Homme.

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019
Ah the fatal “dryer sheet” vibe! Curious to know if this is a consequence of reformulation...
The current formulation of Le Parfum is pretty high quality, in my book - a boozy, very rich, powdery vanilla (kind of Guerlain-y) with a strong medicinal current thanks to a heavy dose of bay leaf.

Ropion took another stab at creating a medicinal vanilla in Laboratorio Offativo's Vanagloria, which is also good but more intentionally "rough."

tdem1961

I smell something…
Basenotes Plus
Jun 19, 2005

I too am wondering whether it was reformulated. I bought mine about six or seven years ago, and I don’t get dryer sheet. Instead it’s a gently spiced vanilla oriental with a lovely dusty quality. The spice is savory rather than sweet, with bay leaf and peppercorn lending an airy lift.

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019
I too am wondering whether it was reformulated. I bought mine about six or seven years ago, and I don’t get dryer sheet. Instead it’s a gently spiced vanilla oriental with a lovely dusty quality. The spice is savory rather than sweet, with bay leaf and peppercorn lending an airy lift.
I have the current stuff and that's exactly how it feels to me.

Opiate

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 19, 2010
One of the greatest perfumers in history. His body of work is extraordinary.

Some of his perfumes I’ve been enjoying this year are:

• Costume National Homme
• Geranium Pour Monsieur
• Carnal Flower
• La Nuit de l’Homme (first formulation)
• Cologne Indelebile

Dane

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 9, 2002
Sorry guys - I must be hypersensitive to a musk used. I've relegated it to a bathroom spray - where I can enjoy it briefly. A few sprays lasts a few days. The only thing I can compare it to is Casmir, out of sheer brute vanilla-force.

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
Though not necessarily in a top three raking, far more rating all 3 of the following as equally serious top contenders for an equally shared number one, so far preferring among his creations (including both the ones tested and the ones owned) especially:

Costume Nationale Homme EDP
Geranium pour Monsieur
YSL La Nuite de l'Homme

Also personally rating a fair share among his further scents at least as worthy for an honorable mention, if not almost as suitable for the top spot on their own, including but not limited to: Amarige, Frederic Malle POAL, Gucci Accenti, Y EDP by YSL, his remaining Costume Nationale collaborations not yet mentioned, Charriol PH.

Dane

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 9, 2002
He did Y by YSL? Was it a flanker?

Nmind, I stupidly thought you meant the Y green chypre.

God know there aren't enough perfume names possibly - may as well reuse your old junk to confuse us old timers. /rant

Dane

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 9, 2002
ps - can anyone describe the current Ysatis, and while lovely, it's not easy to wear these days with its high-pitched aldehydes. I'm hoping a newer version might be more streamline (sacrilege, I k ow).

Because once again, I see many listing for Ysatis and frankly the vintage bottle I have (gold cap) is just "nice." A bit disappointing.

Dane

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 9, 2002
Personally, I'd go for the Malle.
I think I might. I won't wear it enough to justify a big bottle of the Guerlain anyway. Kinda just want it.

ps - re-tried POAL today. Where did the patchoudy™️ go? It's a very big rose and that's it now. I think my nose is going or things keep changing. VE smell.identocal to what I remember, with less clove.

jansch

Basenotes Member
Oct 31, 2016
Wearing Soul – Costume National, and this one's another Ropion beaut.. the central accord reminds me a bit of Oud Velvet Mood by MFK, but much more rounded, and with a lot more going on..

Jan 20, 2019
Ropion; a nose that creates for noses other than mine!

1. Cacharel Amor Amor Absolu (on Mrs. Tin)
2. Cacharel Amor Amor (On Mrs. Tin)
3. YSL La Nuit De L'Homme - Only because this is the only Ropion that I can bear to wear on myself, though I no longer own the bottle, and there's nothing else that worked out for Mrs. Tin as well.

Glad to see there are many fans out there, variety is the spice that really ties us together.

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019
LOL. Not so much drama, I'm just not terribly interested in floral perfumes, and that seems to be Monsieur Ropion's specialty.
Is it?

He's spent a lot of his career crafting ambery-woody-spicy scents.

Costume National Homme, Costume National Soul, Chopard Oud Malaki, Boucheron Oud de Carthage, FM The Night, Laboratorio Offativo Vanagloria, Nuit d'Issey Noir Argent, Hugo Boss Saffiano...

And, of course, my beloved Lalique Le Parfum.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...