Beachy scents — your faves

thrilledchilled

All Is Beautiful
Basenotes Plus
Nov 17, 2018
I have enjoyed beach scents for awhile. Not aquatics per se, but scents that remind you of the beach.

Beach Blanket by DSH is a favorite of mine. And I enjoy Coco Moon by Beach Geeza. Two wonderful artisanal houses. Both are vaguely like suntan lotion but much, much better. Neither of them to my nose is excessively “aquatic” in the sense of overdosing calone, for instance.

Not as in love (yet?) with Soleil Blanc by Tom Ford. But it is growing on me.

I like Virgin Island Water, too, although it seems a bit light except in older bottles.

What are you favorite beachy scents And why do you enjoy them?

Aug 16, 2022
Versace Pour Homme, D&G Light Blue, Missoni Wave, and I'm sure many others (Like Chanel AHS I hear) are extremely similar and all fine for hot weather. Their primary selling point is being acceptable in temperatures nearly no fragrances are.

Nautica Voyage and Bvlgari Aqva Atlantiqve are more balanced but poor winter choices in my view. Somewhat similar but Voyage is more...Aromatic?, with a strong but smooth aquatic type note. Atlantiqve is more fuzzy musk/wood.

Of those listed Voyage is probably my favorite in a room temperature test. It's just nice and friendly, with acceptable performance.

StylinLA

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 9, 2009
Virgin Island Water is a great summery, beachy scent.
I don't know about reformulation.... my bottle is about 10 years old is one of the strongest Creeds I've ever owned. It seriously makes me laugh when I wear it cause it lasts for hours and hours...

Bond No. 9 Fire Island was a great, great dead on Ban de Soleil suntan oil smell alike. Feels like you're laying on the sand. But it I think it's discontinued and the decanter I used to buy it from has more than quadrupled the price. Grrrrrr....

Guerlain Homme has a summery drinks by the pool vibe. Same with Tommy Bahama St Barts.

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011
Creed MI when it was worth purchasing was a wonderful by the beach scent. It literally is a summer holiday in a bottle.

In modern times, I would much rather wear Acqua di Gio Profumo for it's fresh-aquatic notes, or the modern version of Chanel Platinum Egoiste, which screams out 'summer holiday club scent'. Despite this, it works incredibly well by the sea, especially when the heat is at its peak.

EDIT: Darn! I forgot an important one: YSL Rive Gauche PH. It works really well on the beach and for some reason it smells different when on holiday in the heat and even in the humidity. Think I've gone through most of this stuff when overseas!

Zenwannabee

Sep 15, 2009
Some excellent scents suggested here. As I haven’t seen it mentioned yet, I still think Cool Water still defines this genre for me, and it presaged other great beach/active scents like Nautica Voyage and Bleu de Chanel.

And for a beach scent similar to but different from VIW, I like Alexandria Fragrances’ Hawaii Volcano.

baklavaRuzh

Sep 3, 2022
The only one I have that I would consider beachy is Shells by regime des fleurs. It has since been discontinued I think. It smells like the 90s to me, teakwood fruity salty. It's not my favorite, it's not bad, but it doesn't inspire joy or excitement in any way. So my bottle is still more or less full after many years.

04-slideshow-regime-des-fleurs.jpg

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
My current favorite is Fresh Getaway by Bath & Body Works. B&BW has a much more "beachy" fragrance, Key West Coconut Water & Melon, but it is really almost too beachy. It's like every beach cliché rolled into one, including endless smores and bikini babes wearing too much Angel. In contrast, Fresh Getaway is strongly fresh in a clean, white clothing way, with hints of sugar, but not too much. A really excellent summer in a coastal city vibe. The EDT "cologne" and the EDP "perfume" are both great.

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
So many great names already mentioned, many of who do also personally enjoy as beach favorites (but also for non-beach wear), further adding to these:

- Carlo Colucci Uomo Mare,

- Baldessarini del Mar,

- (while unsure whether this latter one qualifies) Wild Wind for Men by Gabriela Sabatini

- the now discontinued Sumatra Rain by Muehlens

Lovescully

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 2, 2010
This is one of my favourite sub-genres of fragrance! :)
Some of my favourites (I've included 'coastal' and 'beachy') are:
  1. Bond No.9 Jones Beach and Fire Island
  2. Dior Eden-Roc
  3. Armani Prive Cyprès Pantelleria and Cedre Olympe
  4. Amouage Beach Hut man
  5. Montale Sandflowers, Aqua Palma and Aqua Gold
  6. Dior Dune Man
  7. 4711 Acqua Colonia Intense Sunny Seaside of Zanzibar
  8. Tom Ford Soleil Blanc
  9. Bath & Body Works At The Beach and Saltwater Breeze
  10. Guerlain Terracotta Le Parfum
  11. Keiko Mecheri Un Jour d'Ete
  12. Davidoff Cool Water Intense
EDIT: Oops I realised that I didn't really answer the Op's question why I liked/enjoy these scents. Although we have lots of great beaches here in Sydney, I don't enjoy them due to the crowds; so I rarely get a chance to visit them. Smelling any of these scents transports me to the beach without having to deal with the throngs of tourists and locals who regularly swarm the beaches. :D

mrcologneguy

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 2, 2009
Bobbi Brown Beach — the classic Coppertone scent

Creed Virgin Island Water — tropical cocktails at the hotel bar

Creed Erolfa — sunset sail on catamaran

Alexandria Fragrances Hawaii Volcano — hotel gift shop indulgence after you’ve been at the beach all day

Guerlain Homme EdT — duty free purchase on the way home from the beach, you’ll think about your vacation every time you wear it

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...