Not open for further replies.

Quarry

Doing the BN salute
Basenotes Plus
Aug 9, 2005
Everyone Is Cordially Invited To
Denver2017.jpg
Why Surrender?
Because our special guest will be Patty White from Surrender to Chance, one of our favorite decanting sources. And Patty will deliver whatever you order from StD to our end-of-day gathering at the Marriott. Note three things: (1) You must pick up your order at the Marriott as Patty will not be shopping with us at Cherry Creek; (2) You must place your order no later than March 31; (3) To be spared shipping costs at checkout from StC, you must enter the code Denver17 and add a comment in the note section that your order is for the "Basenotes Denver Meet-Up."

Additionally, we’ll be joined by perfumer Dawn Spencer Hurwitz. Some from our group will also be visiting her studio on Friday.
See Dawn's comments in post #67.

Swapping and sharing
You are encouraged to bring surplus or formerly loved samples/decants/bottles to share and keep them in circulation. Additionally, some of us may make up samples for each other according to your wardrobe test list. So … UPDATE YOUR TEST LIST!

Meet at Nordstrom’s ebar
I spoke to ebar staff who assured me they open at 8 a.m. on Saturdays. I suggest you arrive at 9 or 9:30 if you want to spend a little time jumping up and down, hugging, and caffeinating. The ebar sits at Nordstrom’s interior mall entrance near the cosmetics department. (See notation #1 on map)

​Cherry Creek shops open at 10 a.m.
PRE-SHOPPING TIP: As you may know, you can often find out about the availability of individual products at particular outlets by using the shop's zip code on the webpage of the product you're seeking. For Cherry Creek, that's: 80206
Here is the sequence I imagine our perfume parade will follow:
(1) Nordstrom — Nordies offers few items not also available from N-M. According to Nordstrom.com, their Cherry Creek location has just a couple exclusives: Lanvin Éclat de Fleurs and Valentino Valentina Poudre.
(2) Anthropologie — Check their website for exclusive lines. Most recently added is Raw Spirit.
(3) Bath & Body Works — I don't know if there's interest in their lineup. We can pop in if we feel like it.
(4) Sephora — Their newest exclusive is Nest Black Tulip.
(5) L’Occitane — L’Occitane usually rolls in fresh products quasi-regularly. One of their newest is Shea Butter Violet Solidarity Balm, the proceeds from which go to promote women’s leadership around the world, currently in stock at Cherry Creek.
(6) Lush has had a hit with its Rose Jam, its newest scented product is called Wash Behind Your Ears shower gel.
(Note: Macy's is nearby. Don't know if there's any interest for us, but will mention these are exclusive to Macy’s: Nejma, Michel Germain, and Paco Rabanne Lady Million.)
(7) FOOD COURT. Preview the menus from: https://www.pandaexpress.com/menu and http://renziosgreekfood.com/locations-menus/renzios/denver.php
(8) Neiman Marcus — Let loose! Lots of new Jo Malones.
(9) Hermes — 2016 releases were Eau des Merveilles Bleue, Galop d’Hermes, Muguet Porcelain, Eau de Rhubarbe Éscarlate, and Eau de Néroli Doré.
I haven't found the new Mon Guerlain to be in stock at the Cherry Creek Sephora or Macy’s (although they both offer it online). Maybe we’ll get lucky on the day.

Evening
After Hermes, I invite you to walk around the block to my Marriott room (roommate desired, PM me) for a sprawl-on-the-floor gathering. If we get hungry, I can order pizza delivery from Extreme Pizza. Their two most popular items are the veggie Drag It Through The Garden pizza and the meaty Railroad Grade pizza. They also offer sub sandwiches. If you have particular dietary restrictions, just speak up. With soda, I think this would run about $12 per person. Please bring cash to make this manageable. http://extremepizza.com/menu/

BRING VIALS
Most stores will let you make samples. Simply ask permission to do so. Back at the Marriott, we may wish to make samples for each other. I'm getting low on vials, so I'll to order some from Surrender to Chance. You may wish to do the same.

As always, if you see a better way to proceed with meals, etc., I’m open to suggestions.

Will you be joining us?
Please send me one last PM confirmation so I have a final head count.
Thank you!

Here is an updated annotated map: Print out or download to your device.
You can bookmark this link
https://goo.gl/maps/mzXNa9pj7D22, but it will not have all the red notations of the image below.

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-06%20at%201.12.47%20PM_zpsvbo3zfhr.png~original

For local transportation references, turn to the rtd-denver trip planner.​

Last edited:

Quarry

Doing the BN salute
Basenotes Plus
Aug 9, 2005
Here are my plans thus far …

TRAVEL: Amtrak. Arriving Saturday morning 7:30, departing Sunday evening 7:00.

LODGING: Staying at JW Marriott Saturday night. With Whitefluffy as my roommate! Yay!

RECOMMENDATION TO ALL:
Visit Lush to smell Rose Jam shower gel.

MY SURRENDER TO CHANCE SHOPPING LIST:
L'Artisan Natura Fabularis: Violaceum
Houbigant Iris des Champs
TDC Kimonanthe
CdG Stephen Jones
Shay & Blue Almond Cucumber
Zoologist Civet
Bags of vials

MY IN-STORE SNIFF LIST:
Jo Malone Basil & Neroli, Myrrh & Tonka
Byredo Bal d'Afrique & Belle Tanger
Nest Black Tulip
Bulgari Au The Noir
Chantecaille Le Wild
Hermes Le Jardin de Monsieur Li
Hermes Jour d’Hermes Gardenia
Acqua di Parma Peonia Nobile

From Now Smell This:
Jo Malone will launch The Bloomsbury Set, a new limited edition collection of five fragrances, in March. Blue Hyacinth, Garden Lilies, Leather & Artemisia, Tobacco & Mandarin and Whisky & Cedarwood were inspired by the Bloomsbury Group and Vanessa Bell's Charleston House in Sussex.
I'll give my cell # to those who attend, but please note that I am a luddite and do not have texting abilities. My phone looks like this:
TN_face.JPG

Last edited:

Quarry

Doing the BN salute
Basenotes Plus
Aug 9, 2005
You could join us, you know, sjg3839. :rolleyesold:

Today I wrangled some favorite (and thought long-lost!) photos from the Basenotes Meet-Ups I've attended. Here are some favorite memories from Chicago 2007 & 2009 & 2013, Boston 2010, New Orleans 2011, Portland 2012, Los Angeles 2014.

If you lurkers haven't decided to join us in Denver, these happy scenes may push you over the edge.

BN-meetups.jpg

Quarry

Doing the BN salute
Basenotes Plus
Aug 9, 2005
DAWN SPENCER HURWITZ replies:

I'd love to join you and I will just have to look over the details to see how I can get that on my schedule. I'll also put it out there that I'd love to have everyone come visit my studio in Boulder. It's not that far from Denver and it would be amazing. We should have some new mini shows open in my little ArtScent Museum project for you to check out while you're here. <3

Thank you soo much for the invite and I will be in touch.

Happy New Year to you all and I look forward to seeing you guys in the Spring!

All my best,
Dawn

Quarry

Doing the BN salute
Basenotes Plus
Aug 9, 2005
JW MARRIOTT: Options 1 and 2 are out, and I don't know if we'll have the 10-room minimum, but here's their reply:

Thank you so much for your interest in the JW Marriott for a room block. I am pleased to offer you a discounted rate of $229 per night the weekend of April 7th.

When booking a courtesy room block with us, please note that we have 3 options to consider:

1. Guest rooms with a hosted event(s) at the JW Marriott Cherry Creek
· We would be happy to offer a contracted courtesy room block with a signed catering contract.
· A courtesy room block incurs no financial responsibility for the guest room pick up.
· A signed Agreement is required to block the rooms at the discounted rate
· You’ll work closely with the Block Manager to help manage the block, keep an eye on guest room pickup, assist with transportation arrangements, etc.
· Guests may make reservations up until 30 days prior to the beginning of their stay. Your Block Manager will send you a reminder about 10 days before the Cutoff Date to make sure that all last-minute reservations are made in time.

2. Guest rooms only without an event at the JW Marriott Cherry Creek
· Minimum of 10 guest rooms per night, contracted and held out of the hotel’s general inventory
· 80% Attrition
o Attrition means that you are financially responsible if less than 80% of the block books. For example, if 6 out of 10 rooms book, you are responsible for the remaining 2 rooms. If 8 out of 10 rooms book, you are not responsible for anything
· A signed contract is required to block the rooms at the discounted room block rate
· You’ll work closely with the Block Manager to help manage the block, keep an eye on guest room pickup, assist with transportation arrangements, etc.
· Guests may make reservations up until 30 days prior to the beginning of their stay. Your Block Manager will send you a reminder about 10 days before the Cutoff Date to make sure that all last-minute reservations are made in time.

3. Discounted Guest Room Rate, available based on availability
· No guarantee required
· No signed contract is required and no rooms are blocked out of the hotel’s inventory
· Guests may make reservations at the discounted rate 30 days prior to the beginning of their stay.
· There is no guarantee that the rate will be available until that date.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/hotel-rooms/denjw-jw-marriott-denver-cherry-creek/

I’d love the opportunity to discuss some options in greater detail and answer any questions that you have! Once confirmed, I will provide you with a personalized link where your guests can make their reservations. We’re happy to make an effort to assign rooms in close vicinity, but cannot guarantee that we can fulfill the request. Please note that rates are subject to change until confirmed.

I look forward to speaking with you soon!

Leorah Young
Social Catering Sales Manager
JW Marriott Denver Cherry Creek
150 Clayton Lane Denver, CO 80206 | P: 303.253.3092 | F: 303.253.3049
Leorah.Young@jwmarriottdenver.com | www.jwmarriottdenver.com

Last edited:

foxbins

Somebody made me a mod?
Basenotes Plus
Sep 5, 2013
Yes, it looks like option 3 is the best bet. I'd love to see Dawn's studio but I hadn't planned on renting a car (flying in from Portland, I'm taking Uber or public transportation from the airport.) I suppose if enough wanted to go we could rent a van.

shadesofbleu

The power of bleu
Basenotes Plus
Jun 3, 2005
Yes, it looks like option 3 is the best bet. I'd love to see Dawn's studio but I hadn't planned on renting a car (flying in from Portland, I'm taking Uber or public transportation from the airport.) I suppose if enough wanted to go we could rent a van.

The airport is about 25 miles from Denver and taxis are terrible expensive. Found this on flydenver.com:

Fares to all other metro area destinations are based on the taxicab's meter. For example, a one-way taxicab ride from the airport to Cherry Creek Shopping Center (near downtown Denver) typically costs $62 to $70, plus a $4.57 airport access fee for each metered taxi trip.

Uber estimates are $26-33 for UberPool and $30-40 for UberX

Last edited:

Quarry

Doing the BN salute
Basenotes Plus
Aug 9, 2005
S~h~a~d~e~s (I'm singing your name in two notes teasingly), whatcha doing in this thread? Are you toying with the idea of a day in Denver? SAY YES.

Hey, whatever you guys want to figure out. I'm more than happy not to be responsible for everything.

shadesofbleu

The power of bleu
Basenotes Plus
Jun 3, 2005
S~h~a~d~e~s (I'm singing your name in two notes teasingly), whatcha doing in this thread? Are you toying with the idea of a day in Denver? SAY YES.

possibly ...

I went to Denver a few years ago for a training class. I didn't realize the price for taxis and did not budget near enough ... didn't want anyone else to have such a huge surprise. (This was before the days of Uber)

Quarry

Doing the BN salute
Basenotes Plus
Aug 9, 2005
For simply getting from the airport or train station, the trip planner link in post #1 above is pretty helpful. There's train service from the outlying airport that takes flyers to the downtown train station. From there, there's a bus that goes right to Cherry Creek mall, and the Marriott is just down the block. You can buy train and bus tickets from a machine at the airport or ride using cash (exact change). A bus ride is $2.60. (http://www.rtd-denver.com/Fares.shtml)

This doesn't help with the possible group travel to Patty's StC perfume room (we were invited there, too) or Dawn's HQs in Boulder, but I just wanted to make sure to call peoples' attention to these less costly modes of getting around.

Screenshot_20170105-083848.jpg

RHM

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 18, 2005
I'm checking in.....I don't think Cindy (that's my frag-sibling) will be coming with me. She's heavily involved with K9 for Warriors & can't get time away.

So I've got Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday off. I'm flying in from St. Louis via Southwest, Is anyone else going to be around Thursday or Friday? I'd like to know within the next 7 days, so I can buy my tickets & make the room reservation.

Also, I'm very excited to see Dawn again....just adore that woman! I don't think I've met Patty, unless it was in the early days of the Karen & Karen show aka Sniffapalooza.

Hermes has always been a favorite house of mine, so I plan much sniffing there. Mike...don't they have a new addition to the Eau des Merveilles line? I thought I saw a new blue bottle in a recent article.

So happy to join all of you! (Shades, honey, I hope you can make it!)

Last edited:

foxbins

Somebody made me a mod?
Basenotes Plus
Sep 5, 2013
RHM, it looks like I'll be flying in Friday night. The flight lands at 8pm, but I probably won't get to Cherry Creek until 9. We could meet up then--I'll be on Pacific time, so it'll feel early to me.

mikeperez23

Be Here. Now.
Basenotes Plus
Dec 31, 2006
RHM not sure about a new Hermes EdM - the last one was the Amber one...I think. Hermes' last releases were the 2 colognes (Rhubard and Neroli) and the new Galop. Plus the last Hermessence Muguet Porcelaine

I will probably come in Friday night & leave Sunday

Last edited:

Trilby Lark

Sillage Monster
Basenotes Plus
Feb 17, 2013
Update on excursion to Boulder to visit Dawn Spencer Hurwitz Studio and ArtScent Museum:

So far, RHM and Foxbins have expressed interest in an excursion to Boulder. My sister and I will pick up a rental car at the Denver airport on Thursday, April 6 at approximately noon. If anyone is interested in staying at the historic Boulderado Hotel on Thursday night we can head straight to Boulder from the airport. Otherwise, we can go to Boulder on Friday, departing from the JW Marriott (Cherry Creek) sometime in the morning. I would like to firm up plans on Monday, if possible.

Queries for Quarry:
1. Does the proposed DSH visit interfere with anything you have discussed with Dawn?
2. Is there a code or procedure to obtain the discounted rate at the Marriott?

This is so exciting!

Quarry

Doing the BN salute
Basenotes Plus
Aug 9, 2005
Trilby, when you folks began making extra plans, I emailed Dawn and invited her to weigh in on this thread to coordinate with those who want to visit her on Friday.

We would need everybody to confirm they're going to use the Marriott Friday and/or Saturday nights to make headway with the Marriott coordinator.

Is everyone ready to commit and say for which nights you want a reservation?

Trilby Lark

Sillage Monster
Basenotes Plus
Feb 17, 2013
Trilby, when you folks began making extra plans, I emailed Dawn and invited her to weigh in on this thread to coordinate with those who want to visit her on Friday.

I hope this will not preclude Dawn visiting with the rest of the group on Saturday. I was under the impression that we were not planning to visit Dawn's studio. Was there a thought that everyone would travel to Boulder on Saturday? If so, I'll be happy to wait. Thank you, Quarry!

Quarry

Doing the BN salute
Basenotes Plus
Aug 9, 2005
No, only you few were mentioning a Boulder visit prior to the weekend. I thought Dawn should know how some were making additional plans.

I wouldn't be surprised if we failed to get a commitment from attendees in time or in sufficient numbers to get the hotel discount. I've experienced cat herding patterns with these things in the past.

F.Y.I. I've told Patty that she can tell Perfume Posse readers about the meet-up. Don't know if that'll generate any additional interest.

Quarry

Doing the BN salute
Basenotes Plus
Aug 9, 2005
Okay ... so we have at least 4 rooms accounted for. I will assume you want both Friday and Saturday nights unless specified differently.
1) Trilby & sis (edited to add: also Thursday night)
2) thediamondsea
3) Cazaubon
4) me (Saturday night only, and looking to share a room)

Will decide last minute:
• Whitefluffy

Edited to add these attendees will not use Marriott:
• Foxbins
• Mike

Everbody else?

Last edited:

foxbins

Somebody made me a mod?
Basenotes Plus
Sep 5, 2013
I don't need a room at the Marriott either, Quarry, but thank you again for shouldering the coordination of all this. Herding cats, yes!

cazaubon

Basenotes Plus
Jan 1, 2005
We are arriving by car on Friday evening and departing Sunday morning. I was planning to stay at the Marriott Residence Inn as it has a kitchenette and accepts pets, but if the regular Marriott takes pets as well I could stay there.

Quarry

Doing the BN salute
Basenotes Plus
Aug 9, 2005
Leorah checked in with me today:
I hope this email finds you well! I wanted to follow up with you in regards to the Room Block proposal I sent over and find out if you are still considering the JW Marriott Cherry Creek? Please note that the rate may have changed due to fluctuations in guest room availability.
Please do not hesitate if you have any questions and I look forward to hearing from you soon!
Warm Regards,
Leorah Young
Social Catering Sales Manager
JW Marriott Denver Cherry Creek
150 Clayton Lane Denver, CO 80206*|*P: 303.253.3092**| F: 303.253.3049**
Leorah.Young@jwmarriottdenver.com* |* www.jwmarriottdenver.com

I took this opportunity to confirm that dogs are welcome, and L replied:
We are pet friendly!! Love those guys
Chat soon,
Leorah Young

Quarry

Doing the BN salute
Basenotes Plus
Aug 9, 2005
We are arriving by car on Friday evening and departing Sunday morning. I was planning to stay at the Marriott Residence Inn as it has a kitchenette and accepts pets, but if the regular Marriott takes pets as well I could stay there.
You shouldn't feel pressure from us, C. I'll pencil you in for the sake of an estimated head count.

cazaubon

Basenotes Plus
Jan 1, 2005
I just went out to the Marriott web site, the lowest room rate that did not require full non-refundable prepayment is $279 plus $41 in taxes, plus $30 pet fee. So I only booked for Saturday night as that is $$$$. We will spend the night Friday elsewhere and drive in Saturday morning. I just forwarded my reservation to Leorah by email inquiring if there is a lower group rate she can offer. Will let you know what the response is.

Quarry

Doing the BN salute
Basenotes Plus
Aug 9, 2005
Can you cancel? I think you could use Leorah's name and explain the circumstances so there'd be no problem backing out.

We're trying to get a group discount, but I need to tell Marriott how many are planning to visit, and then they'll give us a discount code. See earlier posts in this thread.

"Thank you so much for your interest in the JW Marriott for a room block. I am pleased to offer you a discounted rate of $229 per night the weekend of April 7th. ... Once confirmed, I will provide you with a personalized link where your guests can make their reservations. We’re happy to make an effort to assign rooms in close vicinity, but cannot guarantee that we can fulfill the request. Please note that rates are subject to change until confirmed."

Last edited:

Whitefluffy

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2006
Quarry Thank you so much for organizing this, you deserve a statue, and a poem, and a bottle of your favorite perfume for all your hard work!!!

Our situation is up in the air as we are moving our residence and Mr. is in a middle of a job change. I should be able to make it, hell or high water, but it will all depend on whether Mr. and a doggie will tag along. We will mostly likely reserve our room closer to the date at whichever rate is available then.

I am sooooooo exited!!! :)

Quarry

Doing the BN salute
Basenotes Plus
Aug 9, 2005
Thanks, Whitefluffy (I'll gladly take a poem ... spoken with an accent preferred). Mike, thanks for reiterating, I scrolled past your earlier post.

I'll hazard a guess that even if our early reservations group isn't large in number, they'll still give us the discount. I'll just wait to hear from a few more BNers before I ask Leorah for access to the discount reservation portal.

Okay ... so we have at least 4 rooms accounted for. I will assume you want both Friday and Saturday nights unless specified differently.

1) Trilby & sis (Th-F-S)
2) thediamondsea
3) Cazaubon
4) me (Saturday night only, and looking to share a room)

Will decide last minute:
• Whitefluffy
• FrouFrou & Q
• ComDiva?
• Knit?

Will not use Marriott:
• Foxbins
• RHM
• Matildaben

Teasers:
• Shades
• Redneck