Baseball players and perfume : NYT article

mrcologneguy

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 2, 2009
Great fun! I hope people in all sorts of professions take a cue from this.

Personally, I’ve been using fragrances throughout my career for the effects described in the story. Couldn’t agree more. Fragrance gives you an edge, makes you feel confident and well-dressed.

I go to MLB games fairly often, and sometimes get a seat right up close to the field. I’m going to have to start paying closer attention to the scents wafting off the field. It would be fun to play “name that fragrance” while enjoying a night at the ballpark.

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Along with all the other legendary superstitions that baseball players indulge in, it appears that perfumes are a big part of game day for many of them.

Francisco Lindor, the Mets shortstop from Puerto Rico, rotates between half a dozen scents before games and sometimes mixes them. He said that if players catch a whiff of something they like on the field, they ask each other what they are wearing.

22mlb-cologne-suarez-superJumbo.jpg

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
I don't know why I'm surprised by this, but I am.

The part that did not surprise me was that the fragcom element within baseball would seem to be dominated by the players from Hispanic cultures. Anybody who has lived in or near those cultures will have observed that Hispanic men in general have far less anti-perfume bias than do Caucasian men, machismo stereotypes notwithstanding.

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
Google knows me too well…this was at the top of Google News for me.

AS CB pointed out, this really goes to show how much more accepted and culturally significant scent is south of the US...particularly for men. I love that this goes back sometimes generations for these players who migrated from Cuba etc, and they're sharing the tradition with their teammates.

I also appreciate that despite being highly paid players, their scents are what we here would consider utility scents - Victoria's Secret, celebrity scents, etc. They aren’t drenching in Creed to make a status statement. The whole concept is different, and seems more wholesome, somehow.

"If I don't have perfume on, I feel strange."

"...the emotions attached to their colognes and perfumes - special occasions, a specifc frame of mind, positive vibes - are helpful reminders during tense competitions."

"...if players catch a whiff of something like like on the field, they ask each other what they are wearing."

Sounds like Basenoters to me!

Pippin06

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 8, 2017
I seem to remember NHL hockey players skating by in the 1970s smelling wonderful. We had regular seats right above the plexiglass behind the net, so that was pretty close to the action. I was just a pre teen in those days, but believe I will always associate hockey with fragrances. Back then it was primarily north American athletes in the league.

Cheetah1919

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 16, 2016
Great article, but I have a feeling they’re only familiar with fragrances that they see in common stores or places…..id bet most players have no idea how big this fragrance world is. You get these guys buying/wearing Henry Jacques, and they might never come out of the clubhouse! They’ll just be sniffing themselves all day, lol

Latest News