Avon Mad Men - A Masculine Fragrance History : Part 2, Halcyon Days

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
I love those crazy decanters from Avon. They had them for both women and men and are charmingly quirky now.

I wish I had grabbed my mom and dad's before they threw them out. They had a few of the busts, a couple race cars, and a hand gun, I believe.

So many of these were pushed as gift options back in the 60's and 70's, then bought for that reason and never used by their recipients (to keep them "collectable"), that it's likely we will see the world end before the surviving stock dries up.

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
Re: Anyone recall a . . . . . .

Need some help with an Avon product for men. Can anyone recall an Avon, men's cologne, gift set that had three colognes, each in the small, square, glass decanter style bottle. I believe it was a Christmas in the early seventies. I believe it was NOT the Island Lime, etc., etc..set. One of the three for sure was Wild Country. I seem to remember one as a leather type, and the third was a spice type. I'm trying to recall if the one I really liked was the spice one or the Wild Country. I recently got a bottle of the current Wild Country and it's OK, but I do not think it's near the original. What I am sure about is the bottle type, and the packaging. Came in a box that was approx. 3" x 6" and the top lifted off going straight-up, exposing the three jewel-faced, decanter-style bottles sat side-by-side, with a large, brass-looking but plastic, screw-off bottle top. Not on my bucket list to find out but after reading these two articles, it just took me back to an earlier day, and now I'm on a quest of sorts. Thanks to Derek Mohr for bringing those memories back. Any help would be much appreciated.

Derek Mohr is me.

I don't know that particular set but sounds like Avon Leather (1966), Avon Wild Country (1967), and Avon Spicy (1968) were in it.

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
What's the holdup?
Dunno. It's in Grant's hands, and he's got a lot going on, plus he's not been doing so great lately.

I can't speak on it more because it's personal stuff. Hope he gets better soon. ❤

I'm in no hurry, and it's something I offered to revise after the new site went up, since I had learned more facts since the old one.

In the meantime I do livestreams and have done several about Avon. Links to Instagram in signature text.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...