Avignon Incense anyone?

narcus

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 9, 2005
Welcome desmoface!
You really want to know? I suggest you click [search] / [fragrances] / 'posts' or 'threads' : You will be surprised how popular Avignon is on this board! And you shall find suggestions for similar frags, containing frankincense too! (I love Avignon!).

Last edited:

Buzzlepuff

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 27, 2005
It's a great fragrance! My personal favorite of the CdG incense series. It is a deep deep frankincense with elemi (tree resin) patchouli, ambrette seeds - very haunting and warming to the soul. Other people respond to it in a very positive way and are attracted to it. I honestly believe that this may have been some of the inspiration for Gucci pour Home in their great fomula that has a similar scent, but not as pure in the incense department. Enjoy it!

Latch35

Feb 12, 2006
Great avatar,by the way :D

I think Avignon is great. A good idea to try first,as you are doing,though. It is unique and about as different as you can get,from "regular" fragrances.

Should you decide that the church thing is for you,the rest of the series 3 line is of an equally good standard.

desmoface

Sep 25, 2007
Hey gang, I did a search on basenotes and wound up ordering a bunch of samples, Mikeperez23, one of the threads was yours, inspired one of the samples I purchased..anyway, here's what I purchased, I also started another thread, hope that was ok.

Etro Messe de Minuit

Comme des Garcons Series 3 Incense - Kyoto

Diptyque Tam Dao

Knize Ten

Hermes Terre D'Hermes

Floris Eau Santal Extreme

Thanks again, I'm all new to this, this board has been very helpful, great place.

Steve

supermarky

Banned
Oct 6, 2005
it is said that Morrissey wears it, incidentally.

you should not have wasted money on sample and just should get the bottle!

mikeperez23

Be Here. Now.
Basenotes Plus
Dec 31, 2006
Hey gang, I did a search on basenotes and wound up ordering a bunch of samples, Mikeperez23, one of the threads was yours, inspired one of the samples I purchased..anyway, here's what I purchased, I also started another thread, hope that was ok.

Etro Messe de Minuit

Comme des Garcons Series 3 Incense - Kyoto

Diptyque Tam Dao

Knize Ten

Hermes Terre D'Hermes

Floris Eau Santal Extreme

Thanks again, I'm all new to this, this board has been very helpful, great place.

Steve

desmoface I love your avatar, BTW - The Smiths rule!!

Glad I could help and enjoy your new samples. You have good taste: Kyoto, Terre d'Hermes and Messe de Minuit should sufficiently 'knock the wind out of you', they're all such great/different/unique/quality scents. Tam Dao I have a sample of to try, but I haven't sniffed it yet; Knize Ten...well, the leather was a little too industrial strength for me; Santal Extreme I have never tried.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Basenotes.

Nicolas V

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 8, 2006
Avignon is great. I wore it last night and upon first application it reminded me of burning frankincense and myrrh, then dried down into something very nice. Will definitely be using it again in the near future.

desmoface

Sep 25, 2007
Hey gang, thanks again for the replies. I know I probably wasted my money on the avignon incense sample, should have just purchasd it. But, I have to be very frugal with my pennies so I have to at least appeal to my sensible side and try it first.

As far as the Floris santal, I just received a sampler from them, shave cream, balm and some of their scents. Very traditional, as you would imagine, but the santal and vetiver were very nice. I want to see if the santal extreme warrants the extra $30 a bottle. There shaving creams were so good that I went and ordered their shaving soap in JF, and their after shave balm in santal. Smells good enough to eat LOL.

Yeah, the Smiths are awsome, definitely my favorite band. I actually read about Morrissey's afliction with Avignon Incense, I'd be lying if I said that didn't affect my decision to try it LOL. I do tend to like things that are slightly askew..I don't want to smell like everyone else.

Steve

--------------------------------------
Hey Nicholas, thanks for the reply, I have a feeling I'm going to be buying this one.

Steve

Avignon is great. I wore it last night and upon first application it reminded me of burning frankincense and myrrh, then dried down into something very nice. Will definitely be using it again in the near future.

Last edited:

Kevin Guyer

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 16, 2006
May I suggest Passage d'Enfer by L'Artisan Parfumeur. Slightly indolic Lily and Incense. Get me to the funeral on time! ;)

desmoface

Sep 25, 2007
Hey Ruggles, thanks for the recommendation, I'll have to add that to the short list; we're all going to be attending a funeral some day LOL.

Steve

Last edited:

Indiscreet

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 30, 2006
It's a wonderful scent, though I'm not sure I'd actually want to smell like a church. I bought the candle instead. :)

Latch35

Feb 12, 2006
It's a wonderful scent, though I'm not sure I'd actually want to smell like a church. I bought the candle instead. :)

How do you find the candle? Strong? Good burn-life?

I've had a look on the home fragrance board for opinions,with no luck.

At the moment,I spray the edt. on to radiators,bulbs etc. which is far too decadent and wasteful :) I have been considering a candle,for some time.

Thanks in advance.

Mikey Q

Basenotes Junkie
Nov 7, 2006
Hey gang, thanks again for the replies. I know I probably wasted my money on the avignon incense sample, should have just purchasd it. But, I have to be very frugal with my pennies so I have to at least appeal to my sensible side and try it first.

You won't go wrong if you sample first - including the incense scents, of which there are many fine ones. The mistake I made with Avignon (aside from getting caught up in the hype) was that I sampled it instead of giving it a full wearing. I bought it and - as much as I loved the scent - I couldn't "wear it". After having it roll up my chest into my nose for a few hours it got so I could taste the stuff. I ended up swapping it away.

Incense scents are no different than the others: sample, sample, sample. There's nothing wrong with being sensible.

Good luck and welcome!

Best regards,
Mike

Latest News