Aventus VS Ganymede VS Bois Imperial

L'Aventurier

Basenotes Dependent
May 8, 2008
I've been really into Bois Imperial lately, even though I usually dismiss the entire category of modern, synth woods and ambrox-derivative fragrances. I've noticed that it has some similarity in structure to Aventus and Ganymede (apple, calone and fruit, suede/leather and a base of vetiver, woods and salty, ambrox / transparent musk).

I would never confuse one for the other, but I'd lump them into the same category of modern freshies with ambient (yet nuclear) projection. All three are incredibly charming and often complimented fragrances for me, even with one spray.

Which one do you prefer and why?

Links:

Aventus - Creed

26131702-6852-j

Ganymede - Marc-Antoine Barrois

26158937-6968-j

Bois Imperial - Essential Parfums

3621664091958-j

Last edited:

wilfred

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 13, 2016
Aventus is by far the most pleasing to my nose. incidentally part of that is to do with the performance of the other two being on the nuclear side and thus an overdose of certain synth-wood materials.

FullCollapse

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 5, 2012
I actually just received my bottle of Bois Imperial in the mail this morning and have been test driving it all day. Really loving it so far. Ganymede's opening is a bit more challenging than BI but I think I like the base of Ganymede slightly more. Aventus is also great but I prefer Aventus Cologne to the original.

Oct 8, 2003
Bois is tops for value, performance, and uniqueness.
Aventus is second but potentially joint first if I hadn't already worn it for a few years.
Ganymede doesn't do as much for me and is way overpriced. I think people are blowing smoke with the whole "It smells like another planet" reviews.

If Bois becomes popular enough that I smell it out and about I would be far less likely to want to wear it, as happened with Aventus when it became popular with all the city boys where I used to work.

eriqesque

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 29, 2020
For me in order
Ganymede
Bois Impérial
Aventus

I also agree with @Foxsbiscuits the reviews of Ganymede especially on the other site, they are just just inane.
That said I do like Ganymede the best, because for me it just smells awesome and lasts and lasts without getting sickening.
Bois gets on my olfactory nerves sometimes. While Aventus is the thirst trap of frags to me.

L'Aventurier

Basenotes Dependent
May 8, 2008
Ganymede doesn't do as much for me and is way overpriced. I think people are blowing smoke with the whole "It smells like another planet" reviews.
I feel the same way about Ganymede and Aventus, both are overpriced.

The first time I wore Ganymede, I was definitely transported, and I have to admit, it did feel otherworldly. But after a few wears, my brain deconstructed the main accords into their constituents and it became a little less magical. It's mostly a bunch of notes that I've smelled countless times before, but in a creative combination that surprises and delights: green apple, calone, spice (cumin, cardamom, pepper), akigala/patchouli, leather, "salt" and iso e super.

Like you, Bois Imperial is my choice too, among the three options, because it's so uplifting and easy to wear in any situation. The price point is amazing too. Ganymede is too strong and polarizing for me to wear comfortably, and Aventus isn't as delightfully weird or compelling as Bois Imperial or Ganymede.

hanginglimbs

Basenotes Junkie
Mar 9, 2015
You're leaving out the newest Kenzo EDP, also a Quentin Bisch creation and much in the same vein as Ganymede. It is much better than Bois Imperial, which IMO removes everything interesting about Ganymede and replaces it with Grey Vetiver. It's fine, but it's not a Ganymede replacement. Ganymede is still the best, but if you want a more mainstream, crowd-pleasing version, go with Kenzo

kelvon

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 26, 2008
I never smelled Ganymede so can't really compare but own both Aventus and Bois Imperial. I still prefer Aventus, but they are both really good, though cost wise you really can't beat Bois Imperial.

FullCollapse

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 5, 2012
You're leaving out the newest Kenzo EDP, also a Quentin Bisch creation and much in the same vein as Ganymede. It is much better than Bois Imperial, which IMO removes everything interesting about Ganymede and replaces it with Grey Vetiver. It's fine, but it's not a Ganymede replacement. Ganymede is still the best, but if you want a more mainstream, crowd-pleasing version, go with Kenzo
Thanks for pointing out the Kenzo EDP. I found a bottle for a good price and rolled the dice on it. Make sure you get the bamboo bottle and not the Kenzo PH EDP from 2016!

speckmann0706

Basenotes Institution
Mar 8, 2017
I'm going to be trying Bois Imperial very soon I am stoked and excited to experience what the following is about. Creed Aventus 17W11 specifically was on another level the most joy from a fresh fragrance I ever experienced fresh juicy strong pineapple and the excellent woody dry down!

JyyskNotes

Mar 12, 2012
Havent tried Bois Imperial. But I have a sample of Ganymede and a 2011 bottle on Aventus. Comparing the two I actually don’t like Ganymede at all. Performance wise my now a decade old Aventus is a nuclear bomb though Ganymede performs pretty well too.

Derbyman

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 26, 2010
I received my 10ml Bois Imperial yesterday and judging by the fact a half spray on my arm lasted overnight it's REALLY powerful stuff! As soon as I sprayed it it filled the immediate space around me and I could smell nothing else as I walked around the house and into the garden. The opening blast is lovely though and has a sparkling, translucent quality. It really seems to jump off your skin! The drydown seems dominated by a light, airy Vetiver but then, after around 5 hours, it started to smell more like the initial spray as if the top notes somehow came back.

I'll be giving it a proper wear tomorrow and will see what that brings...!

NickZee

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 19, 2014
For me, Ganymede was far closer to Tom Ford Grey Vetiver than it was to Aventus. The addition of mineralic notes was genius but overall it is far more derivative than some people make out.

I haven’t tried Bois, but I would definitely take Ganymede over a current formulation of Aventus. But then I would prefer a good Aventus clone like CDNIM Parfum over Ganymede.

Timothée Kal

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 23, 2014
I have no doubt Ganymede would be my pick of the 3... I'm currently on the hunt for it but I just can't find any full or partial bottles anywhere so I'm considering getting Bois Imperial instead, since my research has led me to it as the best alternative.

From my entire collection, Ganymede is one fragrance that has really intrigued me with its composition and sheer strength.

pouring

Basenotes Dependent
May 22, 2013
Ok...

After a while I need to reconsider this.

My wife has stolen Ganymede from me. It can be intoxicating to whiff as she walks by. But can similarly be "too much" at times (hours after application) - it is truly a nuclear scent. Overall though I adore it on her.

I suspect Bois can be similar although I cannot smell it on myself after a couple of hours. It does seem "thin" to me lately though.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...