Aventus smells like every other mens cologne?

lair77

Jun 7, 2022
You could make the point that the dozens of Aventus clones or Aventus-inspired fragrances out there have made this once-niche scent commonplace. Even people who haven't smelled it, have smelled an overall similar vibe from it's many children. But even before then...

I remember when Aventus came out, my then-girlfriend and I at the time smelled it. She said it smelled like every other mans cologne combined together. I agreed with her, albeit noting that the execution of it was good.

It a citrus wood fragrance with strong sillage (it's what Abercrombie Fierce wants to be when it grows up), backed a synthetic yet compelling ambroxan/iso e super/styrax base. Creed knew what they were doing with this one; they were trying to launch a mass-market hit.

With music, the chart-topping songs typically follow most of the conventions of a successful pop song, but there's a twist somewhere; 1-2 aspects of the song break away from convention. So it's safe enough to appeal to the masses and sell, but with just enough uniqueness to stand out. The twist in Aventus was, arguably, the pineapple and smoky notes. But in past several years, those haven't been as prominent as they were in some of the earlier batches. And Aventus itself has sort of become an Aventus clone.

Aventus has easily been the most talked about niche fragrance of the last decade, but I don't think it set the trend. It wasn't progressive. It moved with the wave - not against it. Imo, it moved the fragrance industry in the direction it was already moving in. Aventus is a very good designer scent.

Pippin06

always learning--often laughing
Basenotes Plus
Feb 8, 2017
While acknowledging its legend, Aventus is one I have no interest in trying or owning. In addition to its asking price, it is entirely too popular. I've the same issues with Bleu and Sauvage, though I have tied these two. I will say, that to me Bleu and Sauvage do smell generic. Personally, I don't want to smell like others by wearing currently trendy fragrances. Yes, I'm a noncomformist. LOL :)

The Bark

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 24, 2003
As the OP mentioned, it has essentially become a clone of itself. There really is no comparing its current iteration to its original one, same with Spice and Wood which is shares some similarities with including launch year. I find the current Aventus (at least from three years ago when I purchased last) to be thin, watery and lacking the smokey depth of the original. I hardly detect it after a couple of hours, though others around me still do. The OG was smokier, more vanilla and just richer experience overall with very noticeable projection and sillage. Unfortunately, I've not found any clones to be spot on to it.

lair77

Jun 7, 2022
While acknowledging its legend
Part of its "legend" is the marketing. For anyone who doesn't know:
  • Aventus is not all natural. It uses similar synthetic ingreidents to many other fragrances.
  • Jean-Cristophe Herault is the perfumer. Not Olivier and Erwin Creed.

In addition to its asking price
Yeah. Imagine paying niche prices just to smell like thousands of loud car salesmen and millions of douchebag boyfriends with 9 sprays of strong cologne on their hoodie.

speckmann0706

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 8, 2017
Not even close in it’s prime days when the liquid was actual quality you couldn’t touch the ingredients and quality of Aventus. With all the fakes and subpar clones everyone isn’t getting a clear picture of this fragrance it’s phenomenal top to bottom now it’s just a shadow of it self thanks to Blackrock.

lair77

Jun 7, 2022
I don't think this is Blackrock's fault. Aventus has been reformulated well before then. And Creed's had inconsistencies in performance for as long as I've known them. Blackrock is moving the business in the direction it's already been moving in.

milkbaby

Apr 24, 2021
It a citrus wood fragrance with strong sillage (it's what Abercrombie Fierce wants to be when it grows up), backed a synthetic yet compelling ambroxan/iso e super/styrax base. Creed knew what they were doing with this one; they were trying to launch a mass-market hit.

If only it were that easy then everyone else would've had a worldwide hit with a $300 fragrance too! It was lucky to be the right fragrance at the right time...

I have a 2021 bottle and totally enjoy it. No regret other than I wish that I had splurged for a full bottle earlier.

Schnitter

Basenotes Junkie
Aug 11, 2014
I'm not the biggest Aventus fan, but it does not smell like any other fragrance out there, not even the clones I've smelled are the same. They are similar, yes, but what makes Aventus so good isn't replicated. The drydown is just too good in my opinion. Well, at least pre 100ml bottles. I don't know how current Aventus is, but last time I tried it at a department store, it left much to be desired.

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
Never used to, but cloning and designer competition will do that.

Brut was heavily copied in the 60's and 70's.

Paco Rabanne, Pierre Cardin, Polo, and Azzaro pour Homme in the 70's and 80's.

Drakkar Noir, Eternity for Men, and Green Irish Tweed copied to bits in the 80's and into the 90's in the case of Eternity (because it came so late).

Curve for Men, Acqua di Giò pour Homme, and A*Men also had their imitators into the 2000's

Aventus, Invictus, Sauvage, and Bleu de Chanel are now all staring down an army of challengers.

These things come in waves, always have. Canoe was immediately imitated postwar by Clubman Pinaud, for example.

cheapimitation

Basenotes Dependent
May 15, 2015
Yea.. I feel like the title of this thread perfectly summarizes how I feel about most Creed I've tried, especially aventus. I hate to write off a whole brand so nonchalantly, especially one that has many fans whose taste I respect. But having tried 4-5 of them now, I always get the impression of a generic office worker "men's cologne" scent. Maybe it's that famous "ambergris" base, I dunno. None of them smell bad, but they strike me as just pleasant and unremarkable.

underground

Basenotes Member
Mar 9, 2022
You could make the point that the dozens of Aventus clones or Aventus-inspired fragrances out there have made this once-niche scent commonplace. Even people who haven't smelled it, have smelled an overall similar vibe from it's many children. But even before then...

I remember when Aventus came out, my then-girlfriend and I at the time smelled it. She said it smelled like every other mans cologne combined together. I agreed with her, albeit noting that the execution of it was good.

With music, the chart-topping songs typically follow most of the conventions of a successful pop song, but there's a twist somewhere; 1-2 aspects of the song break away from convention. So it's safe enough to appeal to the masses and sell, but with just enough uniqueness to stand out. The twist in Aventus was, arguably, the pineapple and smoky notes. But in past several years, those haven't been as prominent as they were in some of the earlier batches. And Aventus itself has sort of become an Aventus clone.

Aventus has easily been the most talked about niche fragrance of the last decade, but I don't think it set the trend. It wasn't progressive. It moved with the wave - not against it. Imo, it moved the fragrance industry in the direction it was already moving in. Aventus is a very good designer scent.
Latest aventus batch, tested at the store;
I can tell its %60 Birch wood %10 incense %10 faint fruityness %10 pepper and the rest is ultra homegenous masculine notes.
It's a good Mass appealing birch Wood oriented masculine frag. But is it an awesome composition? I dont think so.

lair77

Jun 7, 2022
If only it were that easy then everyone else would've had a worldwide hit with a $300 fragrance too!
I agree. Just because a fragrance is mainstream doesn't mean it's easy to make. It can take a lot of skill to execute even a commonplace thing well. And at the end of the day, execution is equally or more important than just the concept.

Just like with a mainstream pop song. Even if you think it sounds generic and not the most progressive sonically, it still took a lot of skill for the sound engineers to mix and master that song.

D

Deleted member 26322463

• Jean-Cristophe Herault is the perfumer. Not Olivier and Erwin Creed.
How do you know that Jean-Christophe Herault is the real perfumer and not the Creed family?
Has Creed ever commented on the subject?

lair77

Jun 7, 2022
How do you know that Jean-Christophe Herault is the real perfumer and not the Creed family?
Has Creed ever commented on the subject?
Gabe Oppenheimer's book The Ghost Perfumer, where he interviews many perfumers (including many with Pierre Bourdon) and has researched Creed's history in depth.

For that matter, Bourdon has stated he has made GIT, Millesime Imperial, Silver Mountain Water and Original Santal among others. And that he hasn't been fully paid what Olivier agreed to pay him.

Granted, there's no way to 100% vertify either party's claim. But considering many of Creed's dishonest claims over the years, the fact that they assert Erwin/Olivier made Aventus doesn't mean anything.

cologne connoisseur

Basenotes Institution
Aug 28, 2010
My Aventus is a batch from the initial year of launch. It's the only one I've ever owned, and I do enjoy wearing it on occasion. I especially like the birch tar in it, which gives it depth and smokiness. Longevity and projection are both above average. I'm sorry to hear Creed let it become a shadow of its original self, if some of the previous posts are accurate.

ultravisitor

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 4, 2014
Yea.. I feel like the title of this thread perfectly summarizes how I feel about most Creed I've tried, especially aventus. I hate to write off a whole brand so nonchalantly, especially one that has many fans whose taste I respect. But having tried 4-5 of them now, I always get the impression of a generic office worker "men's cologne" scent. Maybe it's that famous "ambergris" base, I dunno. None of them smell bad, but they strike me as just pleasant and unremarkable.
I kind of agree. Creeds aren't adventurous fragrances, which is probably why they seem like "generic office worker" fragrances--if someone is looking for something more eccentric, they should look elsewhere--but they are very well done.

RedMint

Basenotes Member
Feb 5, 2022
Being relatively new to the frag game, I must say the first time I smelled Aventus (after smelling through dozens of niche and designer brands), I found it very, very unique and incredibly pleasant (and instantly nostalgic, somehow). And I immediately started getting compliments left and right. So I can see why, when it came out, it would have rocked the fragrance world.

Obviously now that's relatively moot, as there are many fragrances that copy/clone Aventus, and I would never spend $300 on a frag where I can get the exact same fragrance from a $30 knockoff. Sorry. For me it's about the fragrance, not the bougie nature of fragrance houses. I wear everything from Dior Homme intense to Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille to Bleu de Chanel to Guerlain Vetiver and the fragrance that brings in the most compliments, by a very, very (very) wide margin is Club de Nuit Intense Man (i.e. Creed Aventus).

So there is absolutely something to be said for this legendary fragrance, no matter how 'generic' some of you find it. I think some of that must just be your length of time in the game and just how played out some of these frags become. In a few years, people will be complaining about how generic Dior Homme Intense is, even though it's everyone's darling right now. I've only been at this about a year and I feel like I've already figured out (for the most part) how the trend works. Something new comes along and innovates, takes fragcom by storm, fragcom gets tired of it and moves on to the next thing, rinse/repeat ad nauseum.

Meanwhile many of those legendary or 'classic' frags stick around forever, because they continue to sell. 1 Million and Eros and Le Male and Sauvage and Invictus and Bleu de Chanel and Aventus will be the butt of jokes in forums like this, but continue to be the most popular fragrances going. Aventus is just one of the more recent to join that club, but it's definitely a member of that club now.

Schnitter

Basenotes Junkie
Aug 11, 2014
"exact same fragrance from a $30 knockoff" is 100% not true. No matter how much anyone wants it to, they are not exactly the same. They might smell very similar in the air, but if you smell them from close, you'll know the difference. For me, what the clones lack is exactly what makes Aventus (pre 2018 at least) so good. I do agree, though, that $300 for current watered down aventus is not worth it.

lair77

Jun 7, 2022
edit: oops lol, i thought i clicked on the wrong notification

Last edited:

RedMint

Basenotes Member
Feb 5, 2022
"exact same fragrance from a $30 knockoff" is 100% not true. No matter how much anyone wants it to, they are not exactly the same. They might smell very similar in the air, but if you smell them from close, you'll know the difference. For me, what the clones lack is exactly what makes Aventus (pre 2018 at least) so good. I do agree, though, that $300 for current watered down aventus is not worth it.
You're right, I actually find Club de Nuit Intense Man better than Creed Aventus (rounder, softer, 'cleaner'.) But you know what I was getting at - they're close enough to have the same desired effect for most people.

D

Deleted member 26322463

The problem in my opinion is not the fragrance composition but the durability and intensity.

In 2017, when I used Aventus for the first time, a spray on my neck was enough for me and the scent could still be smelled in the evening.

2021 When I sprayed Aventus and Viking one sprayer on each, I didn't smell anything after 3 hours

Latest News