Aventus Gets Better With Age

RedRaider430

You smell good! 😄
Basenotes Plus
Dec 18, 2011
I don't see a way to PROVE what anyone may think on this issue. I see this as two issues, or possibilities.

1. Some (all?) Creed fragrances improve over time. Olivier Creed is on record as saying the clock doesn't start ticking on how many years a fragrance may last until it has been sprayed. So SOMETHING changes after the introduction of oxygen, or he wouldn't have made the statement. I don't recall if he ever actually came out and said that it is quite plausible for a fragrance to improve over time, however. But we know that citrus notes (especially) can go bad over time, so is it possible that those same notes could become more bold (and smell better) before they go bad? They obviously change somehow or they would never go bad or degrade.

AND/OR.....

2. Chalk this up to people's PERCEPTION of their Creed fragrances changing over time, when in actuality, it is more likely due to people simply becoming more familiar with the nuances of the fragrance itself, and not because the actual juice has changed for the better.

I think the only thing we can say for certain is that there are a whole lot of people that THINK their Creed has changed....and THINK it smells better than it did before. We know this because there are too many people reporting it. I have been one of them for a couple of years now. I've owned just about every Creed for men that has ever been made. So I believe I have the experience to know what is truth, and what is perception.

So which of the above are true, or is it possible that they are somehow both true?

All I know is....when I first sprayed my GIT bottle about 4.5 years ago, I was very disappointed. It smelled like......nothing. It smelled like ozone or some diffuse chemicals, but really no specific notes. The lovely violet that we all love.....that was not there. There's no doubt in my mind. I don't *think* that could have been my "perception" or lack of "fragrance IQ" at the time. But I have no way of knowing that for sure. I can't prove it. A year or so after I first sprayed my GIT, it began to take on the smells that made it one of the most respected fragrances around. This isn't even debatable in my mind. So I would say # 1 above was true in this instance. SOMETHING changed with the juice in the bottle.

Two days ago, I had another of these Creed experiences. I hadn't sprayed my split of Jardin d'Amalfi in quite some time. But after spraying it, it smelled sooooo much better than I remembered. It lasted and lasted, and I really enjoyed it.....much more so than ever before. But in this instance, I attributed my enjoyment of the scent more to my PERCEPTION, and the way my fragrance knowledge has developed over the years. Our nose learns; our sense of smell improves. I smelled JdA just fine the first time I ever smelled it, but like so many fragrances, we can't appreciate them fully until we have worn them a few times and know what to expect. So I would say # 2 above was true in this instance.

superfluousPastry

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 14, 2014
Great post!

"Creed is King" What is this even supposed to mean? King of what? You mean it's the best? No it's not, not even close, better than Guerlain or Chanel? You can't be serious

But hey at least it's a fun read :)

They are absolutely serious! :)

It seems to be the result of a very competitive personality which enjoys defending the honor of inanimate objects on electronic message boards. There is also a lack of boundaries in these individuals where inanimate objects can become extensions of their egos and they will react violently if this adopted part of themselves is criticized.

Last edited:

martinijo

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 20, 2011
Great post!

They are absolutely serious! :)

It seems to be the result of a very competitive personality which enjoys defending the honor of inanimate objects on electronic message boards. There is also a lack of boundaries in these individuals where inanimate objects can become extensions of their egos and they will react violently if this adopted part of themselves is criticized.

Or perhaps the thread has been addressed by The The King of The Internet :shocked:

King-of-the-internet.jpg

Dandy Lion

Basenotes Junkie
Jun 23, 2015

could be that.

or it could simply be me expressing my opinion that Creed is currently the most successful and popular niche fragrance house.

yeah... could be that too...

Perfumania - America's Leading Perfumery Chain!

Latest News