Aventus batch numbers - Part 3

hundo lots

Basenotes Member
Dec 5, 2017
I got a decant of 17t01 many years ago, but I can barely remember it. A buddy of mine has two 4 oz bottles of the 17t01 (unused) and offered to sell them to me for like $500/bottle. I am a 2015-16 man. Should I bother?

mustardsalad

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 27, 2016
I got a decant of 17t01 many years ago, but I can barely remember it. A buddy of mine has two 4 oz bottles of the 17t01 (unused) and offered to sell them to me for like $500/bottle. I am a 2015-16 man. Should I bother?
I'm also a 2015-2016 man, and the only '17 batch I've smelled is 17Q11. For what it's worth, I remember enjoying the opening pineapple blast, but then being disappointed at the complete lack of woody goodness in the mids that my 2015 bottles have; instead it just faded into nothing. My memory might be a bit fuzzy on that, though.

hundo lots

Basenotes Member
Dec 5, 2017
I'm also a 2015-2016 man, and the only '17 batch I've smelled is 17Q11. For what it's worth, I remember enjoying the opening pineapple blast, but then being disappointed at the complete lack of woody goodness in the mids that my 2015 bottles have; instead it just faded into nothing. My memory might be a bit fuzzy on that, though.
Thanks for the insight. I ended up buying the 17T01 pair of bottles cos I figured for a thousand bucks I can easily make back the money (and then some) by decanting and selling the 17T01 if I decide it’s not for me. Well, it absolutely was for me! Funny, I remembered the unique opening as soon as I sprayed it. It’s identical to the old sample I had, which was all apples, vanilla and (less talked about) lemon! I remember years ago thinking the lemon touch in my 17t01 sample was super intriguing, but I didn’t have enough juice to fully explore it. Well, now I have 240 oz to explore with. Lol. It’s pretty remarkable and I won’t be selling a drop of it. In fact, I’m now keeping an eye out for more. Very rare batch, and I see why.

hundo lots

Basenotes Member
Dec 5, 2017
I was at Neiman Marcus the other day and got a sample of current batch Aventus. I haven’t smelled it in years. I hate to burst anyone’s bubble, but if you’ve only experienced today’s Aventus you’re smelling something completely different. This was sort of true between 2010 and 2018 too, but at least they were in the same universe. Now, it smells another fragrance altogether that’s been watered down. Maybe like 50% Himalaya and 50% water. It’s really not good. Unless the sample I received was actually watered down, which I doubt as it came from a 3.3 oz bottle in front of me, Creed has completely lost the plot. The whole thing veers on class action lawsuit territory (literally) because it is a case of selling something new to unknowing people under an old name. Batch variations are one thing, but what we’ve experienced with Aventus is total *fragrance* transformation, and the poor unsuspecting souls who never smelled a 2016-2017 (or earlier) think they’re getting getting proper Aventus but they’re not…And for $500!! Smh. Just shameful.

Historically, I’ve said that the opening is what we all chase, kind of like heroin addicts lol. The rush. During the good years, Aventus openings varied wildly, which is essentially what brought us to forums like this and caused us to spend thousands on chasing those opening rushes, but the dry downs vary far less. Aventus had always dried down more or less the same after a couple of hours, whether a 2011 or 2016 bottle. Not exactly the same, but close enough you always knew what it was. The scent profile scope would tighten as the hours passed, the fruit would dissipate, the wood etc would escalate, and we’d be left with a balanced, nicely executed Aventus experience.

But now? Idk wtf is going on with this stuff. It’s thin and uninspired sporting neither fruit nor musk. My awareness of this change is on par with a seasoned boozehound drinking the same aged scotch every night, and then one night the bartender gives him a different, cheaper scotch that’s note only complete trash, it’s also been watered down by half. That’s how noticeable the change is to me.

Even my wife, who doesn’t give a crap about any of this and simply indulges me from time to time when I ask her to describe the difference between a 2015 and 2016, thinks this 2022 sample smells like a totally different fragrance. Fortunately, I’ve stockpiled an enviable inventory of vintage Aventus over the years, with product manufactured no later than 2017. But someday I will run out, so I’m always adding to the collection whenever I see a good deal on vintage juice here or there.

I think the relative ghost town vibe of this thread, compared to its bustling heyday, is all the evidence one needs that the fragrance and the scene are both dead in the post-2020 world... Like so many other things. Sad.

gladinton

Oct 4, 2020
I never understand these "it's watered down"
I have had two batches of Aventus 20B11N and 20J01N and they were both very strong and easily lasted all day and if I sprayed it on my arm in the afternoon I could still feel it the next day.
No one ever learns that just because you can't smell your scent doesn't mean it's not there. You get used to the smell coming from you and some are so strong that they easily cause nose blindness or some aroma chemical in the fragrance easily blinds the nose. I never have to use more than two sprays of aventu and it makes me easily self-conscious sometimes.

hundo lots

Basenotes Member
Dec 5, 2017
I have had two batches of Aventus 20B11N and 20J01N and they were both very strong and easily lasted all day and if I sprayed it on my arm in the afternoon I could still feel it the next day.
No one ever learns that just because you can't smell your scent doesn't mean it's not there. You get used to the smell coming from you and some are so strong that they easily cause nose blindness or some aroma chemical in the fragrance easily blinds the nose. I never have to use more than two sprays of aventu and it makes me easily self-conscious sometimes.

Not at all. I’ve sprayed 2022 on one wrist and 2016 on the other and there is an obvious difference. Like two different fragrances. I haven’t tried 20-21 batches so I’m not commenting on those. But the sample I got recently around Christmas (presumed to be a 2022 batch) was watery piss. Has zero kick, no balls, no essence. I don’t even want to comment on the sillage or projection because that would imply that I actually want this trash to be projected. I do not.

mustardsalad

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 27, 2016
I have had two batches of Aventus 20B11N and 20J01N and they were both very strong and easily lasted all day
When I complain about reformulations, it's almost never about longevity, but rather about the overall quality of the fragrance. And I've noticed a distinct drop in quality of notes in modern Aventus compared to my 2015 bottle.

JRoz

Jan 26, 2023
Hello everyone! Long time listener, first time caller. Signed up just to get insight on this so any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Looking to get my first Aventus purchase. I have the opportunity to purchase a 4oz S4215x01 batch listed for $225. Reached out to the seller just to feel him out. After expressing concerns regarding authenticity (not directly aimed at him - just in general for this frag), and he said he purchased from Neiman Marcus years ago during a business trip but ultimately never opened it so figured he’d sell it. Seems like a nice guy (not fake nice), but I take that with a grain of salt.

I asked him to let me know if he ever lowers the price in attempts to sell it, and he responded that he’d do $180. Would you guys hop on this? Again, it’s for the 4oz S4215x01 batch, wrapped (already read the back and forth on the 15 batches - thoughts years later?). Also, I made sure to express my concerns regarding authenticity in our convo, so I have some fight in the event I get it and feel it’s a fraud. Luckily the selling platform seems to be pretty good about buyer protection and that’d be my defense.

Please let me know your thoughts and thanks again for any feedback - and for finishing this novel.

JRoz

Jan 26, 2023
I'd be suspicious. A new bottle of that could easily go for over $500, even in this economy. I'd ask for pictures of the bottom of the bottle, and the sprayer.
Appreciate the prompt response. I would ask, but the box is still wrapped in its original plastic packaging; never opened. Box has QR code on the bottom also (previously read that some fakes don’t). Im torn to be honest.

JRoz

Jan 26, 2023
I asked him if he’s willing to open the plastic in order to take pics and if so, I’ll post them on here for you guys to inspect. That’d be greatly appreciated.
I'd be suspicious. A new bottle of that could easily go for over $500, even in this economy. I'd ask for pictures of the bottom of the bottle, and the sprayer.

mustardsalad

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 27, 2016
the box is still wrapped in its original plastic packaging
.....uh.......

RED FLAG.

Creed didn't wrap their boxed bottles in any plastic back then. That's a fairly new thing. I bought two 15X01 bottles directly in person from Neiman Marcus in November of 2015, here's a pic of the bottoms of both of those:

Attachments

• IMG_9789.jpeg
    IMG_9789.jpeg
    966.8 KB · Views: 11

JRoz

Jan 26, 2023
.....uh.......

RED FLAG.

Creed didn't wrap their boxed bottles in any plastic back then. That's a fairly new thing. I bought two 15X01 bottles directly in person from Neiman Marcus in November of 2015, here's a pic of the bottoms of both of those:
.....uh.......

RED FLAG.

Well son of a B, you are awesome for catching and pointing that out. Just visited a Neiman Marcus and spoke with a Creed rep who’s worked there since 2014. She confirmed they’ll never wrap their Creed products and has never seen it before. So with that said, THANK YOU! Got me some samples, though.

hundo lots

Basenotes Member
Dec 5, 2017
17T01 is so f***ing unique. It has Pure White level longevity, but I don't even care because the 30-45 minutes of apple/vanilla heaven is worth every ridiculous penny I spent on this stuff.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...