As a Scent Crusader, Have You Found Your Holy Grail?

Andrei Bolkonsky

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 20, 2020
I know that most, if not all basenoters are not focused on having a signature scent. But my intention with this post is to ask you if you have found a perfume that, for you, stands above all the others in your collection. It ishould be something that is like your Holy Grail, your sacred treasure.

I've found my holy grail in Hammam Bouquet. Have you found yours? Please share.

holy.JPG

DanHD

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Mar 15, 2013
I hate to limit myself, but the closest I've come lately is Derby. Got a FB, and with one large spray I'm off onto an interesting journey, seemingly different every wear.

My one small complaint is that I wish the opening was a tad brighter.

Andrei Bolkonsky

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 20, 2020
I hate to limit myself, but the closest I've come lately is Derby. Got a FB, and with one large spray I'm off onto an interesting journey, seemingly different every wear.

My one small complaint is that I wish the opening was a tad brighter.

Yes, Derby is glorious. I have two vintage 5ml tiny bottles of it and I plan to buy a full bottle when I go to Europe in July.

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
There's not one fragrance that stands out, for me. There are a group of somewhat similar fragrances that are a tie for me including Versace L'Homme, Giorgio for Men, Polo, Bel Ami, Moschino Pour Homme, Antaeus, Chanel Pour Monsieur, Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree, Balenciaga Ho Hang Club, Christian Dior Jules, and Givenchy Gentleman.

SkiDawg

Basenotes Junkie
Apr 11, 2018
There's just too many variables in life to have one grail... It depends on the day for me :)

JJ The Terrible

Basenotes Junkie
Mar 2, 2020
I have found my "Holy Grail", I just had to find where the final resting place was in The Cave of Caerbannog on the direction of Tim the Enchanter.

Puredistance M

jkonick

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 16, 2019
Terre d'Hermes Parfum. Used to be the EdT until I discovered the parfum. It was the first fragrance that took me beyond freshies/mall fodder, and nothing has quite had the same impact on me since. Part of that, to be certain, is because it was my "first love," but really it is a great, dynamic scent that is both intriguing and different while also being generally very "safe" in any weather/climate or environment.

Emanuel76

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 16, 2018
I know that most, if not all basenoters are not focused on having a signature scent. But my intention with this post is to ask you if you have found a perfume that, for you, stands above all the others in your collection. It ishould be something that is like your Holy Grail, your sacred treasure.

I've found my holy grail in Hammam Bouquet. Have you found yours? Please share.
Egoiste.
Dia it's very close. The battle is very tight.
Who knows, maybe one day Dia will win. Or another (new) perfume. I'll let them fight. For me it's win-win.

DWayne

Basenotes Member
Jun 26, 2017
Sadly, no. Two and a half years into the fragrance journey, and I have about 20 fragrances, but I'm still searching for "The One" that I can call a signature. Right now the closest thing is Creed Green Irish Tweed or a tie between Dior Eau Sauvage EDT and Chanel Pour Monsieur. The dream continues though.

slpfrsly

Physician, heal thyself
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
Near enough. But not 'one'. It would be more like a trininty. Is that a 'holy grail' in that case? Probably not.

Rue 24 by YSL is what I've always wanted in a woody scent.
Layton by PDM is what I've wanted in a clubbing/mainstream scent.
Aventus is spot on for a 'cologne' i.e. citrus based and neo-classical.

I could add an Acqua di Parma for a fresh/salty/sporty but I'm not sure it's as comfortable on me as the others. Those 3 all fit and feel just about perfect. I now only own 2 more than these 4 - Beau de Jour and Heeley Cardinal - and if I were to cut down further, I think I've answered my own question in terms of which 3 I'd keep.

So, being strict - I probably haven't found a holy grail, no. But I've found a holy trinity...?

EDIT: Gio, not Parma. Gio Essenza.

Alex

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 27, 2005
My Holy Grail would be Balafre. I am yet to find a non-spoiled bottle but I am trying.
The second best for me would be Parfum D'Habit by MPG.
If I had to sell my collection due to an unforseen hardship, I'd sell all but not the Parfum D'Habit, or sell it last.

Andrei Bolkonsky

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 20, 2020
I think I'm still chasing the dragon. But I'm not sure I will ever have a holy grail. More favorites categorically.

Beware: the phrase "chasing the dragon" has an alternative, secret, kind of dirty meaning, and it has been used in that "secret" sense since the late nineteenth century at least. Look it up!:shocked::shocked::shocked:

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...