Aromatics Elixir reformulation

Gilturko

Dec 30, 2006
Hi all.

I've read almost everwhere bitter complaints about the reformulation of AE: the fragrance changed, "floral, soapy", "no more dark as it was once", "disappears in few hours" etc.

Very recently I wanted to give it a try (I once didn't appreciate it, now I do, as often seems to happens with this peculiar fragrance), so I sprayed two paper strips with it and put them in the inner pocket of my coat.
It was around three days ago: I can distinctly still smell it wafting around. And it is the same perfume I remember.

Maybe at the counter they had an old tester, as often happens, previous to the reformulation?

Or maybe Clinique made some adjustment to give back to its customers the beloved AE in its almost original shape?

Or are the complaints a bit over the top?

What are your opinions about it? And, if anyone knows, when happened the major reformulation?
P.S, I sprayed the Parfum, frosted bottle.

Thank you.

G.

donna255

Jul 16, 2004
WOW!!! I haven't worn or even sniffed Aromatics in years. I only wore the parfum version before they brought out the cheaper EDT. A friend started wearing it as her signature and I just stopped wearing when I finished a bottle I owned, must be over 10 years ago.

Clinique are Estee Lauder, wonder if it's the oakmoss thing they just did not bother to reformulate properly, Guerlain worked to get it right for Mitsouko. Both are chypres.

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
I have not tested the current one properly, but I just sprayed in store. Aromatics elixir was my mom's main perfume. I remember very well the beautiful, long lasting mossy drydown. My impression is that the drydown now is less mossy and not as deep, it probably has more patchouli. So I feel that there was a reformulation, though compared to others, this was much better and I agree with you that it's not too far from the original. It is probably also the case that while important, oakmoss wasn't as central to this as it was in straightforward chypres like Mitsouko.

cacio

Gilturko

Dec 30, 2006
My impression is that the drydown now is less mossy and not as deep, it probably has more patchouli.

cacio

Hi, Cacio.

I agree about the drydown, it isn't as mossy as it should be if real oakmoss was in the formula. I actually can't easily detect which notes it displays, but I get some woody, creamy, fresh chemical accord.

Overall, during the first hours (or should I say days?) it's still outstanding. And, for nowadays standards, daring.

JanPark

May 18, 2020
I want to buy Aromatics Elixir by Clinique with the "old" formula. Two questions................HOW do I know it is the old formula? What signs do I look for? WHERE do I look to buy the genuine product?

Can any of the aficionados help me>

unregistered

Nov 26, 2006
I want to buy Aromatics Elixir by Clinique with the "old" formula. Two questions................HOW do I know it is the old formula? What signs do I look for? WHERE do I look to buy the genuine product?

Can any of the aficionados help me>

I've been researching furiously, and it appears if the seller doesn't have a batch code photo of the bottom of the bottle, it is difficult, as the packaging hasn't changed in recent memory. I can say it appears older bottles have a shiny silver cap, while the newer ones are gold and slightly matte. Also, if you can get a pic of the back of the box with ingredients, a truly vintage won't have the breakdown of each chemical constituent post-IFRA of around 2003. Apparently, there are editions made in Switzerland and those made in the USA, with those claiming vintage for the former. Don't search for term "vintage" as you just get a bunch of ridiculously marked-up bottles.

I just found a listing on eBay for a boxless, 3.4 oz limited edition with a bulb atomizer that was apparently released for the 40th anniversary in 2011, selling for about $45. Search "Aromatics Elixir Atomizer" and it should pop up.

Hope that helps, somewhat.

EDIT: It looks like the limited edition bulb atomizer bottle is from 2007 http://www.bystylingamsterdam.com/2...n_aromatics_elix.html-elixir-limited-edition/

http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scentedsalamander/2007/10/limited_edition_aromatics_elix.html

ANOTHER EDIT: Apparently, batch codes aren't reliable as they're recycled every decade. For instance, someone is selling an in-box, sealed bottle on eBay right now, claiming 1990's vintage, when it has the Clinique.com website listed on the box. No one is agreement whether the USA made or the Swiss made formulas are best. To muddle things more, there's an EDT for the European market that doesn't exist stateside. The earliest example of a bottle I can find is actually hexagonal, from the 1970s, before my recollection.

I may be wrong about the silver shiny cap vs. slightly matte gold cap. I'm just judging based on auction photos.

Another clue to finding an older bottle is that vintages of some date have ad copy written on the boxes stating, "Believed to have specific effects on mind and spirit, this blend performs the role of perfume but goes far beyond." This is omitted on the newer boxes. Again, I have no specific dates offered when this change occurred., or when the scent was reformulated, particularly for the oakmoss regulations that went into effect in the mid-aughts. Many people find the modern more wearable. Others can tell no difference. I think the scent is so strong that most people take years to use up a bottle, in which time the contents age, oxidize, darken, and evaporate, so the change that people notice may just be the difference of an old bottle to a fresh one. I never used up the 10 ml bottle I had two decades ago. Good luck in the hunt, but I wouldn't spend too much. a97f42864e54a32809943d8891c413b0.jpg79eb5df9d25054520b61b6599c76bd2c.jpgaromatics-elixir.jpgAEoriginal bottle.jpg

Last edited:

Latest News