Areej le Doré : The Official Discussion Thread

Buysblind

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2011
A sweet world of bliss, that’s my guess. :smiley:

I can deal with that. Thanks, Diamond. :beer:

Strong username to post content correlation.

But a terrible keeper of my New Year's resolution. :thumbdown:

Congrats! The Attar or the Extrait?

The extrait. I had to go and check--I didn't even know that there was an attar. Now that I've looked, I think I'd prefer the extrait anyway. Though I'm sure the attar is no slouch.

BigCactus

Jun 27, 2018
Anyone who ordered an Attar got a shipping notice yet?

I was just about to ask. I know he says 1-2 days processing and I'm sure he is slammed with orders, but any sort of communication would be appreciated, like "due to higher than expected volume, it may take a few extra day." Any others have issues like this before when a release happened?

911LambMelb

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Anyone who ordered an Attar got a shipping notice yet?

I was just about to ask. I know he says 1-2 days processing and I'm sure he is slammed with orders, but any sort of communication would be appreciated, like "due to higher than expected volume, it may take a few extra day." Any others have issues like this before when a release happened?

From the pre-order e-mail:

"The orders will be sent as soon as possible, no later than February 10th, 2019."

May 7, 2018

I know! You should have bought your attars from Sephora!

Only kidding you!
But, it was a pre-order, from an individual, doing his best, and being clear about it...let's all be thankful, first, and then even more thankful if he succeeds in getting them out by the 10th as he said, (another five days away)! There are no issues...other than that we've been brainwashed by Amazon, etc. to expect everything the moment we think to order it Reality is often not that way, even for those of us who can afford teeny tiny $120 bottles of perfumed oil.

I guess we'll all need to wipe ourselves in heavenly attars to calm ourselves and find patience.

All the best!

wood&leather

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 27, 2018
But, it was a pre-order, from an individual, doing his best, and being clear about it...let's all be thankfuli

No kidding. I could understand if it was 15 February with no communication. It's 5 February with his website and email stating in BIG BOLD LETTERS THAT SHIPMENTS WILL GO OUT FEBRUARY 10th AT THE LATEST

Why there are questions or criticisms at this point is beyond me.

wildrnesxperienc

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 19, 2018

I did get a confirmation email when I bought mine.

From the pre-order e-mail:

"The orders will be sent as soon as possible, no later than February 10th, 2019."

I totally forgot about this!

I wasn’t complaining, I simply asked a question guys, calm down. I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t like everyone else had gotten a shipping notice or something. Had a fear that (since I had forgotten he said Feb. 10) I hadn’t heard anything beyond the confirmation email, that my order might have been cancelled or something. I recently bought a bottle of older Serge Lutens from a company. Then told a friend about it, who ordered a bottle a couple hours later. Cut to a couple days later, his order was in the mail, and mine was cancelled because they oversold. Granted, that was a big retailer.

For the record- the shipping line in the email about Feb. 10 is not in BIG BOLD LETTERS, it’s actually some of the smallest font size in the entire email.

BigCactus

Jun 27, 2018
I know! You should have bought your attars from Sephora!

Only kidding you!
But, it was a pre-order, from an individual, doing his best, and being clear about it...let's all be thankful, first, and then even more thankful if he succeeds in getting them out by the 10th as he said, (another five days away)! There are no issues...other than that we've been brainwashed by Amazon, etc. to expect everything the moment we think to order it Reality is often not that way, even for those of us who can afford teeny tiny $120 bottles of perfumed oil.

I guess we'll all need to wipe ourselves in heavenly attars to calm ourselves and find patience.

All the best!

After reading what you wrote, I went back and re-read the e-mail and you are correct, this is a pre-order and the attars won't be sent out until the 10th. So this is my bad. I had FOMO, so I click and ordered without reading the details. I agree that we do live in a world which is spoiled by Amazon and want the stuff that we order delivered instantly, but good things like this takes time so I will be patient and wait for the order. I'm really looking forward to this arriving. Thanks for all the help Basenoters!

wildrnesxperienc

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 19, 2018
I’ve ordered from him multiple times. This makes 4 times i think. I’ve gotten them (shipping notices) within a day or two, or not at all. But in this case I assume they haven’t been shipped yet. All good.

wood&leather

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 27, 2018
Had a fragcomm colleague asking me about what my thoughts were regarding Malik Al Taif. He said he was somewhat interested, but tired of the rose-based frags in his collection being too light and "whispy" for the winter. He cited Byredo's Rose of No Man's Land as an example.

I laughed and told him MaT is a "Rose wrapped hammer" compared to that one considering its density and earthy undertones. Now he's dying to blind buy a full bottle lol.

Buysblind

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2011
Got my nose on Russian Musk today. It's currently on my wrists.

This is good stuff!

The opening is a bit sharp and astringent, but it's very interesting. And now, about two hours into it, it's become a wonderfully warm, "furry" musk blended with what smells to my nose like some kind of Oakmoss absolute (which has mellowed since the opening) and maybe some other kinds of fir resins.

I haven't really read anything much about Russian Musk so I don't know what's in it and what the thought process behind it is, so that will be fun to do after I wear it for a while. Is there real deer musk in this? I've never smelled that before.

But overall it's a really interesting and nice blend of what smells like animalic musk, oakmoss, and fir balsam--an earthy green animalic scent with some soapy astringency running through it. Very deep and very natural. Very warm.

It also seems to get drier, warmer, and...I don't want to say "smokier" as time goes one, but there's definitely like this sort of desiccated, hot-dry heat that develops the longer it's on. Is there sandalwood in this? I got the same sort of effect in Sixes & Sevens and I believe it was the sandalwood that took on this really hot, dry quality, almost like what wood would smell like if you were trying to start a fire by hand with a bow and stick, just before it's hot enough to smoke, or kind of like the smell that lingers after using a power sander on wood.

I think if I sniffed it blindly I would have thought I was trying some new Slumberhouse release. It reminds me of Sixes & Sevens in a few ways.

SydnorIII

Jan 5, 2017
Anyone else still having cap issues? My Koh cap is tighter than a MF.

When they’re made in those hot climates, it’s all good, but when they ship to colder climates I think the wood contracts and locks on to the atomizer. I love the aesthetic of the wood caps, but they need a coat of lacquer or a plastic lining...something. I shouldn’t have to get out the nail file every time I get a new bottle. Again, I’m worried I’m going to wrench off the atomizer one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bangkok Hound

User of Toilet Water
Basenotes Plus
Nov 4, 2015
Anyone else still having cap issues? My Koh cap is tighter than a MF.

When they’re made in those hot climates, it’s all good, but when they ship to colder climates I think the wood contracts and locks on to the atomizer. I love the aesthetic of the wood caps, but they need a coat of lacquer or a plastic lining...something. I shouldn’t have to get out the nail file every time I get a new bottle. Again, I’m worried I’m going to wrench off the atomizer one day.

This was a real issue with the 3rd collection. There was someone here on BN whose atomizer did come off of Russian Oud I believe. Regarding the 4th collection, mine fit perfectly when I got them, but I've noticed they're definitely tighter now. The 2nd collection had metal caps, but some of them are so loose they fall off if I hold the bottle upside down and one of them is so tight that I have to be careful. So, it's not just the wooden ones!

wildrnesxperienc

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 19, 2018
I haven't had any issues with my Russian Oud cap or Russian Musk cap being too tight. But my Baikal Gris was super tight! So tight that I had to use a pair of scissors to scrape some of the material out of the inside. It was so tight it was creating a suction and was pulling perfume up out of the atomizer when I took the cap off or put it on. I also have Oud Luwak and the cap on it has been fine.

SydnorIII

Jan 5, 2017
This was a real issue with the 3rd collection. There was someone here on BN whose atomizer did come off of Russian Oud I believe. Regarding the 4th collection, mine fit perfectly when I got them, but I've noticed they're definitely tighter now. The 2nd collection had metal caps, but some of them are so loose they fall off if I hold the bottle upside down and one of them is so tight that I have to be careful. So, it's not just the wooden ones!

My friend, Greg, pulled the atomizer off his Russian Oud...not sure if that’s the same person.

I also agree with the metal cap thing...my Oud Picante metal cap is pretty darn loose.

I understand these are handmade, so I get it, just a bit frustrated with it. Hopefully it’s something ALD has noticed and is working on.

SydnorIII

Jan 5, 2017
I haven't had any issues with my Russian Oud cap or Russian Musk cap being too tight. But my Baikal Gris was super tight! So tight that I had to use a pair of scissors to scrape some of the material out of the inside. It was so tight it was creating a suction and was pulling perfume up out of the atomizer when I took the cap off or put it on. I also have Oud Luwak and the cap on it has been fine.

Isn’t it weird how some are good and some aren’t? Guessing it’s just a precision issue with them being handmade. [emoji2373]

Hainss

Basenotes Member
Dec 29, 2013
I think it's more a question of temperature.
Some was ok at the beginning and then too thight.
Now I don't push them too far.

SydnorIII

Jan 5, 2017

I think that’s mostly the issue as well. Rather than push the cap down all the way, now I just push it down about 2/3.

Diamondflame

Frag Bomber 1st Squadron
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2009

This is good stuff!

The opening is a bit sharp and astringent, but it's very interesting. And now, about two hours into it, it's become a wonderfully warm, "furry" musk blended with what smells to my nose like some kind of Oakmoss absolute (which has mellowed since the opening) and maybe some other kinds of fir resins.

I haven't really read anything much about Russian Musk so I don't know what's in it and what the thought process behind it is, so that will be fun to do after I wear it for a while. Is there real deer musk in this? I've never smelled that before.

But overall it's a really interesting and nice blend of what smells like animalic musk, oakmoss, and fir balsam--an earthy green animalic scent with some soapy astringency running through it. Very deep and very natural. Very warm.

It also seems to get drier, warmer, and...I don't want to say "smokier" as time goes one, but there's definitely like this sort of desiccated, hot-dry heat that develops the longer it's on. Is there sandalwood in this? I got the same sort of effect in Sixes & Sevens and I believe it was the sandalwood that took on this really hot, dry quality, almost like what wood would smell like if you were trying to start a fire by hand with a bow and stick, just before it's hot enough to smoke, or kind of like the smell that lingers after using a power sander on wood.

I think if I sniffed it blindly I would have thought I was trying some new Slumberhouse release. It reminds me of Sixes & Sevens in a few ways.

Great description! Can’t wait to compare it with the regular version.

U2u

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 26, 2014
I suspect humidity is the culprit. Pushing them on all the way stretches the life out... can't use the juice when the cap can't be removed. The caps are the only fault, wood too tight, metal too loose. its an ALD feature that adds character. The attars will be just right.

wildrnesxperienc

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 19, 2018
I can deal with that. Thanks, Diamond. :beer:

But a terrible keeper of my New Year's resolution. :thumbdown:

The extrait. I had to go and check--I didn't even know that there was an attar. Now that I've looked, I think I'd prefer the extrait anyway. Though I'm sure the attar is no slouch.

He got the Extrait and that is what he reviewed above.

Mar 16, 2017

This is good stuff!

Hehe welcome to the Chypre experience that would make EU cosmetics' blood boil :tongue: would also recommend Chypre Siam by Rogue Perfumery, gonna spring on a bottle soon.

rynegne

Basenotes Institution
Jul 25, 2012
I pulled the atomizer and collar right off of my bottle of Russian Oud last year and lost a good amount of liquid (all over my bedroom) in the process. I pulled very slowly but the wooden cap had locked itself to the collar by the time it arrived. It was about this time last year...so the bottle had come from Thailand to Chicago. Drastically different climates in terms of temperature and humidity and the wood totally constricted. I leave my caps off and store the bottles in the decorative box. If the cap was important to me...I'd consider sanding it down a bit.

SOB111

Feb 9, 2019
Exact same thing happened to me three days ago with Malik al Taif - the cap ripped off the atomizer.. very disappointed as I love the fragrance.
It is sub-zero temperatures where I am though.

Buysblind

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2011
I have to say, I was kind of thrilled by my first experience with Russian Musk. I don't think I've ever smelled--and I definitely haven't worn--real deer musk. It was an intense experience, but also enjoyable. There were also so many interesting little things going on with the scent; little twists and turns and surprises that might show up for 20 minutes or so, then morph or disappear. It's a really cool fragrance...compelling to say the least. Of course it stayed on my skin forever, but it was interesting to observe all of the transitions it went through over time. And I feel a craving to wear it again, this time probably more of a full wearing, whereas the first time it was just on my wrists. Anyway, I haven't had this kind of a thrill, that's both enjoyable and intriguing, in a while. I'd like to try some more of his stuff after I digest Russian Musk (which will take a while).

wildrnesxperienc

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 19, 2018
I have to say, I was kind of thrilled by my first experience with Russian Musk. I don't think I've ever smelled--and I definitely haven't worn--real deer musk. It was an intense experience, but also enjoyable. There were also so many interesting little things going on with the scent; little twists and turns and surprises that might show up for 20 minutes or so, then morph or disappear. It's a really cool fragrance...compelling to say the least. Of course it stayed on my skin forever, but it was interesting to observe all of the transitions it went through over time. And I feel a craving to wear it again, this time probably more of a full wearing, whereas the first time it was just on my wrists. Anyway, I haven't had this kind of a thrill, that's both enjoyable and intriguing, in a while. I'd like to try some more of his stuff after I digest Russian Musk (which will take a while).

Awesome! What a great experience! Thanks for sharing. And I wholeheartedly agree with you.

wildrnesxperienc

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 19, 2018
Yeah I got the email today. Oh well. Hopefully it doesn’t take too terribly long, we’re having perfect weather to be wearing some Russian musk in Attar form. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Latest News