Kbar

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 13, 2010
Ended up getting:
Civet bomb
Royal musk
Musk de taif

I really like royal musk. Need to give It a longer wear but It reminded me oud zen a little with more sandalwood.

Civet bomb for some reason reminds me one of his Anonim releases. I think It was the black bottle…gotta dig the samples. I get a faint amber musk, with some tangy opening. I didn’t give It a full wear yet just a little on my arm.

MdT- similar to his previous rose releases with a more photorealistic rose note. If you have MaT attar it’s similar to that just no oud.

Side note i also managed to source a bottle of one of my grails:
Oud Luwak

Attachments

• 63CCA46B-E04C-44BB-8D06-BB14E3687E78.jpeg
    63CCA46B-E04C-44BB-8D06-BB14E3687E78.jpeg
    252.8 KB · Views: 7

mikeperez23

Be Here. Now.
Basenotes Plus
Dec 31, 2006
Ended up getting:
Civet bomb
Royal musk
Musk de taif

I really like royal musk. Need to give It a longer wear but It reminded me oud zen a little with more sandalwood.

Civet bomb for some reason reminds me one of his Anonim releases. I think It was the black bottle…gotta dig the samples. I get a faint amber musk, with some tangy opening. I didn’t give It a full wear yet just a little on my arm.

MdT- similar to his previous rose releases with a more photorealistic rose note. If you have MaT attar it’s similar to that just no oud.

Oud Luwak
Congrats on the Oud Luwak. I almost wore that today (from my decant) but instead Grandenia is dazzling me. It smells so great in cooler weather. I avoid these most of my time in warm Miami.

Scent Detective

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 15, 2015
Ended up getting:
Civet bomb
Royal musk
Musk de taif

Oud Luwak
Congrats on the Oud Luwak...and the new ALD Attars!

Feb 26, 2022
Random association, but I have finally gotten around in my sampling to Hiram Green. I had pretty low expectations for the brand considering it is from the northern half Europe (mainstream modern European perfumery is highly polished but just so tremendously boring and unimaginative, there, I said it #sorrynotsorry), however I was actually very pleasantly surprised and particularly shocked when I tried Hyde and found it to immediately be that sort of ALD signature from the opening of OEIII and AdC.

It has a very similar smell/vibe except it does not lean quite into that intense direction that ALD does that I find a bit nauseating. Hyde, like basically every Hiram Green I have tried tends to be fairly simple and linear. It is not a replacement for ALD, but it made me wish I could create some frankenstein perfume where I could take the opening/mid of Hyde and graft it onto the mid/dry down of OEIII. That would be a perfect perfume for me. The dry down of OEIII is just so so delightful with the warm golden rose, and Hyde goes right to the edge of whatever that ALD signature is, but never overwhelms or nauseates me.

I wonder if the difference is the birch tar and labdanum in Hyde versus the Hindi oud and myrrh in OEIII that makes the difference? Is it blasphemy to sort of wish that RA would make a cheaper Ottoman Empire flanker with birch tar and labdanum instead of oud? 😅😂

Sultan al Hindi

Basenotes Junkie
Feb 5, 2020
Trying out Zamzam today and I think it's a winner on first sniffing. As RA states, it's a classical floral that is kept within unisex territory by the woody, umami and slightly sweet facets of Indian saffron (does initially remind me of grandenia). Absolutely bouncing off my skin which is a huge plus and I can't wait to see how this develops further. I have a feeling it has a lot to offer and will probably highlight different notes depending on your environment. Worse comes to worse, I'll give it to the wife as its an incredibly pleasing smell and I prefer her wearing perfumes of a more natural nature anyway, than the headache inducing crap found on the highstreet.

Dothraki

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 20, 2013
Just popping in to say… Hope everyone is doing well..and…more importantly, Santal Galore seems to be standing the test of time so far. Although no Areej has ever turned on me, some have definitely turned me on. Most of them actually. Tonight I’m getting a lot of that “hot stone” or flint type smell, I think it’s the sandalwood root smoke, and it’s awesome.

I have found that the 7th collection was not for me. I found it disorganized and sloppy (to be the most critical from an artistry standpoint) but also found that I like many of the scents and there are some awesome partial accords and notes here and there that I can dig, but none of them will make it into the treasure chest, unfortunately.

Anyway, just wanted to say Santal Galore is awesome and smells like Donkey Kong getting shot out of a barrel cannon towards a bunch of bananas in the air. Love it. Hope everyone is good haha ✌️

Diamondflame

(Almost) Off the Grid
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2009
C10A1157-32F7-4341-B45F-FB4E1EED85B8.jpeg

Just want to highlight this recent IG post. It is one of the reasons why ALD has such an ardent fanbase. ALD does its best to give what fans want and is the only brand I know of that shares links to the original platform where its early backers catapulted it to cult stardom. Thank you, Russian Adam for not forgetting us here. Basenotes could certainly do with more (paying) members. 🙂

sproaty

Feb 23, 2017
View attachment 318146

Just want to highlight this recent IG post. It is one of the reasons why ALD has such an ardent fanbase. ALD does its best to give what fans want and is the only brand I know of that shares links to the original platform where its early backers catapulted it to cult stardom. Thank you, Russian Adam for not forgetting us here. Basenotes could certainly do with more (paying) members. 🙂

I made a video about Aquilaria Blossom about 4-5 months after its release, and the brand commented on the video and made a reference to something I said halfway through. Seemed they watched the video (to some degree anyway, unsure if they watched the whole thing!)

avrora

Jul 29, 2020
Chinese Oud is my new Grail. It is everything i want in a perfume. It just moves me for some reason.
Others may disagree, but I too love CO and I get a lot of the same vibe from Orpheus from Clandestine Laboratories. It doesn't have the musty patch of CO though, but the boozy orange/incense/woods vibe is definitely there. Very enjoyable and worth checking out.

james1051

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 23, 2013
Anyway, just wanted to say Santal Galore is awesome and smells like Donkey Kong getting shot out of a barrel cannon towards a bunch of bananas in the air. Love it.
Have missed reading your candy metaphors, but Donkey Kong barrel cannon ranks with the best of them. SG is pretty nice too, but I find it opens up more in warmer weather, so not getting any wears from me atm.
Chinese Oud is my new Grail. It is everything i want in a perfume. It just moves me for some reason.
I completely missed this one, and when you see if for sale on the 2nd market, the prices are nearly always ridiculous. Have to wait for CO II

gstinkerter

Basenotes Member
Aug 3, 2022
Others may disagree, but I too love CO and I get a lot of the same vibe from Orpheus from Clandestine Laboratories. It doesn't have the musty patch of CO though, but the boozy orange/incense/woods vibe is definitely there. Very enjoyable and worth checking out.
Oh this sounds really interesting! Thank you! Have to check this one out....even though i don´t know how to sample this in germany.
I completely missed this one, and when you see if for sale on the 2nd market, the prices are nearly always ridiculous. Have to wait for CO II
Yeah the prices are insane. I normally dont support crazy 2nd market prices, but CO just ruined me.

Dear Adam...if you are reading this: please make Chinese Oud 2. I am begging you. The 2nd market prices are out of control.

Aug 26, 2022
Wore Silver Ambergris after being reassured from multiple reviews and folks on here that it is in fact a Russian Adam creation.

I gotta say this is easily one of my favorite offerings from RA. Not sure why he hasn’t stepped forward yet but Silver Ambergris reminds me of a green, spicy white floral accord over a woody, resinous base. It almost feels Russian Musk but with less of a vintage musk vibe and more florals/resins.

The ambergris adds a nice touch to the composition but isn’t overly present.

Scent Detective

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 15, 2015
Heaping on to the Chinese Oud praise. It really is wonderful.
Yes, I love Chinese Oud as well. It is another one that was not hugely well received when released but has become beloved, which seems to be the case with so many of Adam's releases...they seem to have "true" staying power. Hmm...I wonder if that should be listed along with longevity? But, I guess that comment is more about being considered for the fragrance Hall of Fame at some point in the future as we see if those yet unborn are still seeking out ALD fragrances in 2083 or some future date like that.

Mak-7

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 19, 2019
In 2083 we will probably have nose implants that will be able to mimick anything and everything, and we wont be using fragrances as we know them 🤔

digitapntics

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 1, 2020
Wore Silver Ambergris after being reassured from multiple reviews and folks on here that it is in fact a Russian Adam creation.
Was this ever confirmed? There was some circumstantial evidence - something about the website registration iirc - but I’ve never been convinced. Agree that Silver Ambergris is nice, though.

Aug 26, 2022
Was this ever confirmed? There was some circumstantial evidence - something about the website registration iirc - but I’ve never been convinced. Agree that Silver Ambergris is nice, though.
from my understanding it was 100% confirmed. After spending some time with all 3 I completely agree they’re his. Especially Black Ambergris. It’s literally Russian Oud with a heavy dose of labdanum replacing the Oud.

Feb 26, 2022
from my understanding it was 100% confirmed. After spending some time with all 3 I completely agree they’re his. Especially Black Ambergris. It’s literally Russian Oud with a heavy dose of labdanum replacing the Oud.
I was going to say, Black Ambergris was my favorite of the three and it struck me as very RA, but it is only a suspicion.

Scent Detective

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 15, 2015
In 2083 we will probably have nose implants that will be able to mimick anything and everything, and we wont be using fragrances as we know them 🤔
Nose implants huh? Interesting thought...LOL. I don't even like the thought of robots making perfumes, let alone getting a bionic nose that allows me to switch to whatever scent I want. Might be convenient, but it sounds too controlling to me. I like to be able to experience things in the actual world we live in. However, I will be long gone by then anyway.;)

Mak-7

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 19, 2019
Nose implants huh? Interesting thought...LOL. I don't even like the thought of robots making perfumes, let alone getting a bionic nose that allows me to switch to whatever scent I want. Might be convenient, but it sounds too controlling to me. I like to be able to experience things in the actual world we live in. However, I will be long gone by then anyway.;)
Well, some say that around 2050 we should have good regeneratived technologies that will help us live longer, so you might live to see the day 🤷🏽‍♂️
But i agree, its cool as concept or for occasional use, like VR, but not a constant thing.
Oh, the horror. You can imagine the same with taste, sight, touch, etc... all virtual, no real. :cry: Then we really will be living in a simulation.
The way they attempt to "grow" meat, and after a movie "Snowpiercer" i believe where workers were fed jello made of insects - i wont be surprised if we will just have some "mass" with various shape and flavors to mimick real thing.
Vr is here, full body size sex toys are here, sound synthesizers are here as well, so its just taste and scent that are left to be replaced on larger scale. Scary stuff

Even Ensar is going to the Transhuman phase 😛

LinePlaneVolume

Basenotes Junkie
May 31, 2020
The way they attempt to "grow" meat, and after a movie "Snowpiercer" i believe where workers were fed jello made of insects - i wont be surprised if we will just have some "mass" with various shape and flavors to mimick real thing.
Yeah, that's this stuff: https://soylent.com/

I work with a lot of computer engineers/scientists and some of them are so into efficiency that they don't eat food, they do meal shakes.

You'll have to pry my real scents and foods from my cold dead hands (maybe health tech will allow me to enjoy it all for a longer healthier time 🤞) - and we can all enjoy ALD in the year 3000... Chinese Oud 20!

Reactions: qja

digitapntics

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 1, 2020
Good to know. It‘s just interesting that he released the Ambergris trio as a spin off brand given that ALD covers such a wide range of products. The ALD house has vintage-inspired perfumes, soliflore attars, a few collab scents, as well as completely off-the-wall stuff like SG, so why do the Ambergris line separately and secretly?

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...