Areej le Doré : The Official Discussion Thread

ain soph aur

Basenotes Member
Mar 31, 2021
oe3 never worked for me in the year i had it until i randomly tried it last week and it was very smoothed out. not sure what happened it has always had a sharpness to it that was off putting until then. not that i mind contrast but it was almost like the notes were fighting before. maybe they finally resolved their differences and matured.

Paddington

Marmalade Sandwich Eater
Basenotes Plus
Jun 17, 2021
Have to agree with the Ottoman 3 takes I find it mediocre to bad , it has a lot of other things to compete with and it falls flat and the oud used it for me feels and smells of low quality extremely linear type

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
Wore AB to work again today, the creamy vanilla with a bit of sweetness, has some orange candy type undertone, with the dusty Ouds and woodiness in the dry down, it's refreshing and comforting at the same time. This is a lovely and friendly scent to wear to the office, signature scent worthy, I'll be happy to smell like this at work every single day. LOL

Scent Detective

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 15, 2015
After all of the negative thoughts shared about Ottoman Empire III, I decided to wear it today. I wore it when I initially bought it but have been letting it sit since then. I was trying to decide if I was going to sell my bottle. BUT, I've enjoyed the heck out of it all day! Smells amazing IMO, so I'm not gonna part with it, cause I really enjoy what Adam's done with this one. I'm noticing that smokey Sandalwood I smell in Santal Galore as OEIII drys down. I either forgot that about OEIII or maybe it's more noticeable now that it's macerated longer. Either way, I think OEIII smells great and is a definite keeper for me.

Cheetah1919

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 16, 2016
After all of the negative thoughts shared about Ottoman Empire III, I decided to wear it today. I wore it when I initially bought it but have been letting it sit since then. I was trying to decide if I was going to sell my bottle. BUT, I've enjoyed the heck out of it all day! Smells amazing IMO, so I'm not gonna part with it, cause I really enjoy what Adam's done with this one. I'm noticing that smokey Sandalwood I smell in Santal Galore as OEIII drys down. I either forgot that about OEIII or maybe it's more noticeable now that it's macerated longer. Either way, I think OEIII smells great and is a definite keeper for me.
Agree, I think it’s pretty awesome, and maybe a little slept on here

oudaddict

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 2, 2017
So I’ve acquired various areejs Fragrance recently and Il give quick one word thoughts on them and a round up

Santal galore : good
Musk lave: good
Baikal gris : good
Ottoman 3: mediocre

So far most where enjoyable bar Ottoman 3 which was very lacking imo, how ever my honest thoughts where that these arnt worth the unicorn prices being asked luckily I paid reasonable prices or traded for most of these I say this as a fragrance user and not a collector
Santal Galore and Musk Lave are straight bangers, in my view.

sproaty

Feb 23, 2017
I tried OE3 many times and had it for about a year, it just didn't work for me. I sold it last week.
same, sold RM2 too, just couldn't vibe with either. I'd prefer to wear vintage Polo over RM2, RM2 comes over as very pot-pourri to me.
Plus I'd rather the money than some fragrances I barely wear
I took a 5ml decant of each before selling anyway which is plenty of wearings' worth if I ever feel like revisiting

Proust_Madeleine

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 5, 2019
same, sold RM2 too, just couldn't vibe with either. I'd prefer to wear vintage Polo over RM2, RM2 comes over as very pot-pourri to me.
Plus I'd rather the money than some fragrances I barely wear
I took a 5ml decant of each before selling anyway which is plenty of wearings' worth if I ever feel like revisiting
I think RM2 smells great but agree that 5ml is plenty for most things for me. I can only ever tell in retrospect which I wanted more of. But even then I can live with it. Things like Grandenia, I should’ve sprung for a full bottle but I’ll remember it fondly when it’s all gone and that’s a good feeling too.

Dothraki

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 20, 2013
I think RM2 smells great but agree that 5ml is plenty for most things for me. I can only ever tell in retrospect which I wanted more of. But even then I can live with it. Things like Grandenia, I should’ve sprung for a full bottle but I’ll remember it fondly when it’s all gone and that’s a good feeling too.
Grandenia is one of my favorite ALDs. Might not be the most complex or artistic, but I consider it just as good as Siberian Musk, maybe even better imo. Grandenia is perfect.

sproaty

Feb 23, 2017
Grandenia is one of my favorite ALDs. Might not be the most complex or artistic, but I consider it just as good as Siberian Musk, maybe even better imo. Grandenia is perfect.

yup I love Grandenia. Was very indifferent towards it when I first had it but it's really grown on me.
If ya fancy a bit of a laugh then my 'first impressions' of a video may do just that! I've rewatched it and have a little giggle,
- i was in a weird mood when I filmed this and yea...that's exactly what you get 😅

Dothraki

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 20, 2013
yup I love Grandenia. Was very indifferent towards it when I first had it but it's really grown on me.
If ya fancy a bit of a laugh then my 'first impressions' of a video may do just that! I've rewatched it and have a little giggle,
- i was in a weird mood when I filmed this and yea...that's exactly what you get 😅
HAHA, When you dropped it!!! Can you imagine!?!? I once broke a 9.5ml of Ensar’s C&P from it just literally tipping over on the table, and aside from the money down the drain, I had the most incredible smelling dining room table for like 6 months lol.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
With the huge success (for me) of Aquilaria Blossom, can't wait to see what ALD has in store for us next. Just hope the next Hindi collection isn't going to be too heavy in all the spices. 😁😝

Castingshadows

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 14, 2020
I’ve been wearing Manly alot lately. By now I usually get bored with a scent but Manly is quickly becoming my signature scent along with Aranyaka. I haven’t been this excited about something since the first time I smelled EO2 or Sultan Leather Attar.

I think this might be the most underrated ALD to come out since the 3rd collection.

ain soph aur

Basenotes Member
Mar 31, 2021
Was just on Facebook. Oh the horror but that’s aside from the point. I’ve never seen so many bottles of a new ALD for sale. Not even of manly which I thought was widely misunderstood(great simple tobacco patchouli masculine imho). I’m actually surprised at how many there are up for sale!
hi which group are these for sale in if you please?

FragSyndrome

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2016
Where did all the ALD, Bortninoff, EO sales listing go? It seems that there were multiple artisan sales listing every week and now it’s like trying to find a unicorn.

james1051

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 23, 2013
Dumb story
My first impression of AB was...interesting, but too syrupy sweet for me.
So, I put AB on my Sale list, at a very favorable price I might add :ROFLMAO: , but no bites.

A week ago I got covid, and my sense of smell was destroyed. Everything, food, wine, frags, smelt burnt, not much other than smoldering cinders.

A week later, with symptoms improving, I decided to test my sense of smell. So applied some AB, wondering if that syrupy sweetness might penetrate.
Not only did I smell it reasonably well, but I'm liking it more than I did the first time. Yes the orange-vanilla syrup is there, but this time the leathery castoreum is coming through nicely. Hmm, might have to try it a third time in a day or two.

Moral of the story, #1: AB definitely helps restore your sense of smell post-covid. 😉Marketing angle?
Moral #2: try your frags more than once before giving up.

Mak-7

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 19, 2019
Dumb story
My first impression of AB was...interesting, but too syrupy sweet for me.
So, I put AB on my Sale list, at a very favorable price I might add :ROFLMAO: , but no bites.

A week ago I got covid, and my sense of smell was destroyed. Everything, food, wine, frags, smelt burnt, not much other than smoldering cinders.

A week later, with symptoms improving, I decided to test my sense of smell. So applied some AB, wondering if that syrupy sweetness might penetrate.
Not only did I smell it reasonably well, but I'm liking it more than I did the first time. Yes the orange-vanilla syrup is there, but this time the leathery castoreum is coming through nicely. Hmm, might have to try it a third time in a day or two.

Moral of the story, #1: AB definitely helps restore your sense of smell post-covid. 😉Marketing angle?
Moral #2: try your frags more than once before giving up.
Moral#3: Covid upgraded ur sense of smell 🙌🏽

Ashfaque

Jul 27, 2017
Just want to share my superb experience of dealing with the ALD CS team. I recently requested them to send me a spare spray unit for my Baikal Gris. It got stuck with the wooden cap. I asked for a normal postal service (because DHL, and the rest of the private shipping firms charge us extra during delivery regardless of item type). They shipped the following day and I got the delivery within 7 days (I guess it is a case of a very efficient queuing in that case). On top that they sent me multiple spray units (just in case something goes wrong). I am now enjoying BG as I type.

Thanks a lot to @russian adam and his excellent CS team. :)

Ambercelt

Basenotes Member
Oct 13, 2012
Actually something that has been on my mind, an Oxford comma issue: there is no such thing as orange ambergris is there ? What I mean is I have not been 100% sure of the top notes. Is it orange (citrus) and white ambergris, or is it orange ambergris and white ambergris ? Sorry if I am not clearly explaining my confusion.
Just as a little aside, it is actually possible to find orange coloured Ambergris!

Olympe de Gouges

Basenotes Member
Feb 26, 2022
Just as a little aside, it is actually possible to find orange coloured Ambergris!
Woah, weird and cool. I had no idea ^^ I think the thing I am learning about ambergris is that what seems like the traditional categorization (black, grey, white) is kind of meaningless and it really is kind of like Oud where it really just depends on the specific piece itself and it’s unique qualities that vary so much across a very rare material that it really is incredibly difficult to have any real categorization system ( I am thinking about the various comments I have heard from RA and Taha and others have made about “kinam”). Although it does seem that there are definite regional commonalities generally with oud (at least from the few things I have read as an über n00b ^^).

Castingshadows

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 14, 2020
Woah, weird and cool. I had no idea ^^ I think the thing I am learning about ambergris is that what seems like the traditional categorization (black, grey, white) is kind of meaningless and it really is kind of like Oud where it really just depends on the specific piece itself and it’s unique qualities that vary so much across a very rare material that it really is incredibly difficult to have any real categorization system ( I am thinking about the various comments I have heard from RA and Taha and others have made about “kinam”). Although it does seem that there are definite regional commonalities generally with oud (at least from the few things I have read as an über n00b ^^).
The color of the ambergris absolutely has meaning. It signifies how old the ambergris is. Jet black ambergris will be infinitely different than a pristine white ambergris. There’s just a lot of different scent markers for each piece of ambergris so it’s hard to say “all black ambergris smells the same” when it’s not true. But as a rule black ambergris will always be younger and than white ambergris due to the oxidation.

What is meaningless is “Jamaican” or “Irish” or whatever region ambergris is found in. The regional markers have zero meaning but the color makes a huge difference not only in scent but also price.

Agarwood has a very complex grading system that is utilized as a rule. This grading system is difficult to use by simply looking at a piece of Agarwood through a screen but it’s employed in person not only with scent but wether or not it sinks. It’s impossible to look at a piece of Agarwood and determine how it will smell but once you smell it the grading matters. It’s also easy to tell if an infection is plantation derived or natural. In fact it’s such a complex grading system that once you learn it it’s like learning a new language and you start to see the wood differently.

JonoBorneo

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 30, 2019
The color of the ambergris absolutely has meaning. It signifies how old the ambergris is. Jet black ambergris will be infinitely different than a pristine white ambergris. There’s just a lot of different scent markers for each piece of ambergris so it’s hard to say “all black ambergris smells the same” when it’s not true. But as a rule black ambergris will always be younger and than white ambergris due to the oxidation.

What is meaningless is “Jamaican” or “Irish” or whatever region ambergris is found in. The regional markers have zero meaning but the color makes a huge difference not only in scent but also price.

Agarwood has a very complex grading system that is utilized as a rule. This grading system is difficult to use by simply looking at a piece of Agarwood through a screen but it’s employed in person not only with scent but wether or not it sinks. It’s impossible to look at a piece of Agarwood and determine how it will smell but once you smell it the grading matters. It’s also easy to tell if an infection is plantation derived or natural. In fact it’s such a complex grading system that once you learn it it’s like learning a new language and you start to see the wood differently.
I think what’s important is to think of the colors as a spectrum rather than just binary black, white, or grey…because each piece really is different. Nothing as wonderful as a tincture of pristine aged white ambergris though ;)

Singularious

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 16, 2018
Is there evidence that regional conditions do or do NOT effect scent? It seems plausible.

Serious question.

I mean, such conditions can and do affect other naturally occurring (or growing) materials. I kinda figured it was possible there were heretofore unidentified qualities of a piece of aged ambergris from the Carribbean vs the North Sea. But maybe it just ages more or less quickly.

Edit: I also now realize that a large, old piece of ambergris probably has a beat up passport with no country of origin and a 7" Hank Snow record attached to it.

Last edited:

Castingshadows

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 14, 2020
Is there evidence that regional conditions do or do NOT effect scent? It seems plausible.

Serious question.

I mean, such conditions can and do affect other naturally occurring (or growing) materials. I kinda figured it was possible there were heretofore unidentified qualities of a piece of aged ambergris from the Carribbean vs the North Sea. But maybe it just ages more or less quickly.

Edit: I also now realize that a large, old piece of ambergris probably has a beat up passport with no country of origin and a 7" Hank Snow record attached to it.

Yeah that passport has probably been stamped so many times it’s no longer functional hahah!

I think what’s important is to think of the colors as a spectrum rather than just binary black, white, or grey…because each piece really is different. Nothing as wonderful as a tincture of pristine aged white ambergris though ;)
Agreed. I personally love ambergris way more than deer musk. Someone on Ouddict posted once that Ambergris has 9 different scent markers that can be displayed in varying proportions depending on the piece and that you can pull out different aromas depending on how you use it in a blend.

Latest News