Areej le Doré : The Official Discussion Thread

Tigs7

Jan 8, 2021
If you dig Agar de Noir I’d also recommend Russian Oud. The sequel should be coming out soonish? Hopefully soon anyways.
Thanks for heads up. What is the best way to stay informed of news from him for when something launches? Seems like the trick is to get in early as soon as there’s a notification.

In meantime, I will post a wanted ad for a 2nd bottle of Agar de Noir in the wanted thread as soon I meet the criteria here (too bad my old account can’t merge with my new one). Then I will look for old bottles of Russian Oud and Oud Zhen

Thanks

Last edited:

LinePlaneVolume

May 31, 2020
Thanks for heads up. What is the best way to stay informed of news from him for when something launches? Seems like the trick is to get in early as soon as there’s a notification.

In meantime, I will post a wanted ad for a 2nd bottle of Agar de Nuit in the wanted thread as soon I meet the criteria here (too bad my old account can’t merge with my new one). Then I will look for old bottles of Russian Oud and Oud Zen.

Thanks
Just keep up with Russian Adam's youtube and instagram accounts.

FragSyndrome

Sep 14, 2016
Hi Guys (and Girls),

I just recently discovered Areej le Doré and started with a used bottle of Agar De Noir. I really like this fragrance. Violets seem to be one of the only flowers that I get along with…

If I enjoy this fragrance, are there any others from this line that you recommend that I try? I need something rather unisex since I’m a girl but … I’m a girl who is not ‘put off’ by MFK Absolue Pour Le Soir or fragrances of similar skank levels. I tend to like resinous, incensey, sandalwood, dark patchouli, musk, amber-ish scents. I almost paid an enormous amount of money for a used bottle of Chinese Oud, but figured I should ask around first or try to swap some vintage Floris or Chergui or something for a sample first.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks!
I absolutely love Oud Zhen and Russian Oud and while I think most fragheads will enjoy those two, I have another fragrance to recommend to you. Iris Ghalia by Ensar Oud. The new version that they have is quite possibly the best version yet and I think this newest version is even better for a lady. It is extremely expensive but I honestly think it's one of the best buys possible from Ensar Oud and I'd recommend it over anything Areej le Dore has ever released. It's performance is amazing and all you need is one spray so it will last a while especially if reserved for special occasions.

Tigs7

Jan 8, 2021
I absolutely love Oud Zhen and Russian Oud and while I think most fragheads will enjoy those two, I have another fragrance to recommend to you. Iris Ghalia by Ensar Oud. The new version that they have is quite possibly the best version yet and I think this newest version is even better for a lady. It is extremely expensive but I honestly think it's one of the best buys possible from Ensar Oud and I'd recommend it over anything Areej le Dore has ever released. It's performance is amazing and all you need is one spray so it will last a while especially if reserved for special occasions.
Hmmm. You know… I was planning on buying samples of EO #2 but I hadn’t thought about anything else from that line. Thanks for the recommendation. I will look it up. I’m not sure how I would get along with the iris (the only iris’ I’ve tried have been those from Serge Lutens).

I find the performance of these fragrances to be quite interesting. Only recently have I learned to be a dabber vs sprayer for certain scents. For instance, all of my favorite Serge Lutens fragrances are older versions so they are the thick and oily formulas… spraying them proves to be too much for me so I dab and they bloom beautifully. Same for the older versions of Xerjoff Richwood and Mamluk, as well as MFK, they are usually overwhelming to my nose if sprayed onto my skin. After reading about the strong notes in Russian Adam’s compositions, I was genuinely worried about this Agar de Noir that it would be too strong but it performed perfectly when sprayed once or twice. The initial medicine-ish vibe was gone within minutes (thank God) but the chocolatey oud cloud was also fleeting (insert sad face) on me. All in all, I’m addicted to the overall drydown, everything is blended so well that I’m failing to pick out specific notes…. and I love that I can’t.

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020
"Hopefully" for you or others? I thought you didnt quite enjoy the original one.
Did your perception of it changed by chance?
It seems like Russian Adam is making much better remakes than the originals for my tastes. Russian Oud is a nice scent however I felt Agar de Noir’s drydown was far superior in terms of blending, complexity and overall design. Agar de Noir just showcases better perfumery overall in my opinion. I was pretty harsh with my opinions for awhile and the more I learn about perfumery the more I appreciate fragrances I used to find myself at odds with. There’s no doubt in my mind Russian Adam will do an amazing job with the new Russian Oud so I’m excited to try it. Even if I don’t like it I’m still excited to wear it.

Theholyfilament

Jul 4, 2014
Picked up Ajmal Dahn Al Oud Shams since it was the cheapest of RA’s Ajmal recommendations ($55 for a 30ml) and the dry down is shockingly similar to AdN’s, sans the violet and coffee. I know both are supposed to be Indian Oud so it shouldn’t be that surprising but I was impressed with how good and similar the Ajmal is considering the price disparity.

Really really excited to see how the next collection explores Indian oud, if he is sticking to that theme.

Mak-7

Sep 19, 2019
Picked up Ajmal Dahn Al Oud Shams since it was the cheapest of RA’s Ajmal recommendations ($55 for a 30ml) and the dry down is shockingly similar to AdN’s, sans the violet and coffee. I know both are supposed to be Indian Oud so it shouldn’t be that surprising but I was impressed with how good and similar the Ajmal is considering the price disparity.

Really really excited to see how the next collection explores Indian oud, if he is sticking to that theme.
The 2 cant be more different from each other

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020
That’s news to me! I’m wearing both on separate arms right now and I definitely pick up on similarities in the oud profiles, particularly in their dry downs (and sniffing ‘past’ the candied violet/amber/coffee of AdN). Funny how different impressions can be when it comes to oud.
Hey that’s really cool! This makes me want to try it now. Laotian Oud can absolutely share similarities with Hindi Oud especially when they’re heavily fermented as is the case with Agar de Noir. I think that ambery/ouddy/resinous drydown can be found all across perfumery and in my opinion it’s simply addicting. Great impressions bud.

thescentguru

May 12, 2019
Hey that’s really cool! This makes me want to try it now. Laotian Oud can absolutely share similarities with Hindi Oud especially when they’re heavily fermented as is the case with Agar de Noir. I think that ambery/ouddy/resinous drydown can be found all across perfumery and in my opinion it’s simply addicting. Great impressions bud.
the Shams is definitely heavily fermented! Congrats on the purchase. I highly recommend trying the Spay Perfume I pictured above in the cut glass bottle too, amazing!

LinePlaneVolume

May 31, 2020
I'm a little late to the party with Ottoman Empire III (as with many things LOL), but dayam! this is a great rose perfume
Why isn't there a photo of this beauty in the Directory?
I submitted images for all three from the classic collection, but they never made it up.

And, having not smelled the prior 2 versions of Ottoman Empire, I can't compare, but I love this one. I'm super happy with all from the classic collection release.

Theholyfilament

Jul 4, 2014
Laotian Oud can absolutely share similarities with Hindi Oud especially when they’re heavily fermented as is the case with Agar de Noir
the Shams is definitely heavily fermented!
it must be the fermentation that is connecting them for me! I wasn’t aware that was a thing until the new RA vid tbh lol. I’m excited to research some more
And, having not smelled the prior 2 versions of Ottoman Empire, I can't compare, but I love this one.
I feel the same way, its so lovely that it’s hard to imagine 1 and 2 being better.

Tigs7

Jan 8, 2021
So… I think I’m gonna stick with AdN until the next collection comes out. I received a half bottle of Chinese Oud from an awesome forum member… it’s beautiful and if I could bottle those top notes, I’d be in love with this fragrance.

Curiously, once it’s past the initial phase, it reminds me of the original version of Fumerie Turque. I have no idea why.

But alas, I’m simply not man enough to rock Chinese Oud past the top note phase. I’m going to stick with violets and chocolate and coffee.

Tigs7

Jan 8, 2021
Not a bad place to rock it from...

The drydown just hit me. Man, I wish I could find something that has the top notes and the dry down of this but as it stands right now, it’s just too masculine for me.

I did find out why it reminds me of Fumerie Turque… it’s the rose, the jasmine, and the patchouli. One uses vanilla, the other honey and beeswax.

I guess my problem is that I’m a sucker for dry downs. I also tried a sample of EO2 parfum. Hated the first few hours then fell in love. I’m starting to think that the universe hates me. Maybe it’s the Mercury Retrograde.

Attachments

• 6D3A0DF3-CD14-48A1-A01C-FD0B0F0318F9.jpeg
    6D3A0DF3-CD14-48A1-A01C-FD0B0F0318F9.jpeg
    622.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Latest News