Areej le Doré : The Official Discussion Thread

Paddington

Marmalade Sandwich Eater
Basenotes Plus
Jun 17, 2021
The not looking into the camera thing doesn’t bother me at all, especially since obviously there is a reason behind it. If thats the kind of thing that upsets people now….geez, we’ve got problems
Now? people have been getting upset over trivial shit for ages now.

anyway So is there anything u guys are hoping for with the new collection i think it was based on Indian traditional perfume/attars

Singularious

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 16, 2018
Now? people have been getting upset over trivial shit for ages now.

anyway So is there anything u guys are hoping for with the new collection i think it was based on Indian traditional perfume/attars
Hard yes here.

I am particularly looking forward to any treatment Adam gives khus/vetiver, as I can't think of anything he's done where it is highlighted.

Also curious if he tries to tackle a nag champa or a mitti.

Singularious

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 16, 2018
yeh this would be an interesting one i hope to see the next collection pushed to the extremes scents that could be considered polarizing to some as that's always fun
Vetiver is fascinating to me, because like all naturals it can smell SOOOO many different ways. I also feel like the "pitch" varies more widely than many other materials. From very deep, rooty and dark, to really "screechy" and bright green.

Paddington

Marmalade Sandwich Eater
Basenotes Plus
Jun 17, 2021
Vetiver is fascinating to me, because like all naturals it can smell SOOOO many different ways. I also feel like the "pitch" varies more widely than many other materials. From very deep, rooty and dark, to really "screechy" and bright green.
fr fr I've had vetiver scents natural khus start out wailing like a banshee green then calm down over time into a deep warm sweetish nuttyness

Singularious

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 16, 2018
fr fr I've had vetiver scents natural khus start out wailing like a banshee green then calm down over time into a deep warm sweetish nuttyness
Exactly! And it can be super woody sometimes too. Bordering on fresh cut juniper cedar, for me. Got me a couple really great ones from Mellifluence this past fall. Can't wait to carve out a day to work with them.

RA can no doubt make magic with a good bourbon.

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020
Hard yes here.

I am particularly looking forward to any treatment Adam gives khus/vetiver, as I can't think of anything he's done where it is highlighted.

Also curious if he tries to tackle a nag champa or a mitti.
Wow same here dude! I LOOOOOVE Khus of all kinds and varieties. I had a nice sample of Hendley’s Untitled and felt it’s a brilliant take on vetiver but I accidentally smashed my sample sprayer so my trash can smelled beautiful for a week. It made me realize I don’t have any true vetiver scents outside of Agarwood Assam/Ahom Oud Attars like Attar Khus or Khafila II.

I’d love to see RA’s take on nag champa since I have yet to see a single fragrance even come close to nailing a true nag champa accord although Embers seems to feel very vintage “nag champish’” in the drydown.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
go for the Special if you do, Shams is a classic take on aged fermented Indian oud and as such is fecal, animalic and challenging, awesome and honest.
I ordered the Special Edition to see what the hype is about, I'm surprised this is something even Russian Adam would wear and recommend. Going to have to compare it to Rania J's Oud Assam....which is very barnyard fecal. :poop: lol

JonoBorneo

Jan 30, 2019
Wow same here dude! I LOOOOOVE Khus of all kinds and varieties. I had a nice sample of Hendley’s Untitled and felt it’s a brilliant take on vetiver but I accidentally smashed my sample sprayer so my trash can smelled beautiful for a week. It made me realize I don’t have any true vetiver scents outside of Agarwood Assam/Ahom Oud Attars like Attar Khus or Khafila II.

I’d love to see RA’s take on nag champa since I have yet to see a single fragrance even come close to nailing a true nag champa accord although Embers seems to feel very vintage “nag champish’” in the drydown.
Recently got a 15 ml of Untitled. So good. More Texas cedar and orris for me, but the vetiver in the drydown is definitely there/satisfying.

Cheetah1919

Mar 16, 2016
I saw this from Adam on Instagram, and this is what I'm excited for...

Russian Adam: "Emerald Oculta Frankincense. One of the most rare and unique. Smells so fresh, green, sweet and fruity".

Sounds amazing to me and I'd love to see RA base a fragrance on it!:cool:
Oh man, would I love to see something like that!

thescentguru

May 12, 2019
I ordered the Special Edition to see what the hype is about, I'm surprised this is something even Russian Adam would wear and recommend. Going to have to compare it to Rania J's Oud Assam....which is very barnyard fecal. :poop: lol
I have RJ's Oud Assam, it's not comparable.
Actually long ago, Adam was power-washing himself with the Dahn Al Oud and I was like whoa...lol!

The Ajmal is a bit more animalic, though I have heard the Special is a bit smoother and more wearable, the Shams is pretty basic

thescentguru

May 12, 2019
I saw this from Adam on Instagram, and this is what I'm excited for...

Russian Adam: "Emerald Oculta Frankincense. One of the most rare and unique. Smells so fresh, green, sweet and fruity".

Sounds amazing to me and I'd love to see RA base a fragrance on it!:cool:

It's what I was thinking as well, hopefully a beautiful Frankincense centered fragrance!

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
I have RJ's Oud Assam, it's not comparable.
Actually long ago, Adam was power-washing himself with the Dahn Al Oud and I was like whoa...lol!

The Ajmal is a bit more animalic, though I have heard the Special is a bit smoother and more wearable, the Shams is pretty basic
More animalic is always a plus for me....lol Would you say the Dahn Al Oud smell better than RJ's Oud Assam? there must be a reason why Russian Adam prefers it over Oud Assam right? lol

thescentguru

May 12, 2019
More animalic is always a plus for me....lol Would you say the Dahn Al Oud smell better than RJ's Oud Assam? there must be a reason why Russian Adam prefers it over Oud Assam right? lol
better no, I wouldn't say that. They both have similar performance but in my opinion the Ajmal is very simple by comparison.

As a house though, Ajmal is probably a much larger commercial venture and no doubt RA is much more familiar. I took his video about the house and Oud in particular was in some way to dispel myth that no commercial entity could use real oud and also warn that even some very expensive so called 100% oils are truly not. (guess)

Eilenberg

Apr 10, 2021
I joined today the ALD Facebook group and scrolled through posts there. I think I haven't seen something as disgusting in the fragcom as all of these flippers writing how "amazing", "legendary" and "stunning" unopened or sprayed 2-3 times bottles they're selling are while also saying that they're selling them with a heavy heart and what big fans of Russian Adam's work they are. Strange to see that the sweet profits they make on reselling don't make their hearts lighter. Awful. The ALD community here and there (+ eBay) seem like two entirely different worlds.

Mak-7

Sep 19, 2019
I joined today the ALD Facebook group and scrolled through posts there. I think I haven't seen something as disgusting in the fragcom as all of these flippers writing how "amazing", "legendary" and "stunning" unopened or sprayed 2-3 times bottles they're selling are while also saying that they're selling them with a heavy heart and what big fans of Russian Adam's work they are. Strange to see that the sweet profits they make on reselling don't make their hearts lighter. Awful. The ALD community here and there (+ eBay) seem like two entirely different worlds.
They truly do.
They are big fans because they make good profit. And they let it go with heavy heart, because its short term profit. If they waited more - there is a possibility they could make more.
Good thing is that their hearts are not made of crystal, otherwise they surely would shatter because of losing potential extra 😁

BryanI

Sep 23, 2017
Russian Adam has always been shy to look into the camera, that's just how he has always been, maybe it's just a form of autism and whatnot. Rest assured, he is one of the most genuine and honest perfumers you'll find, he isn't the type with agenda or any ill intention, he is a good dude.
It is an Islamic thing. It is against the religion to have pictures of people as they feel it is like paying homage to an image. That is why Islamic art is generally calligraphy. He used to superimpose images that completely covered his face in pictures where he stood next to oud trees showing their size.

mikeperez23

Be Here. Now.
Basenotes Plus
Dec 31, 2006
Every time I revisit my decant of Musk Lave it gets better and better. I absolutely LOVE it now and it's now smelling like the most unique vintage fragrance I've ever smelled before. Doesn't surprise me - that one has very vintage ingredients in it.

It's like a crazy stepbrother of Jicky by Guerlain.

Tigs7

Jan 8, 2021
Hi Guys (and Girls),

I just recently discovered Areej le Doré and started with a used bottle of Agar De Noir. I really like this fragrance. Violets seem to be one of the only flowers that I get along with…

If I enjoy this fragrance, are there any others from this line that you recommend that I try? I need something rather unisex since I’m a girl but … I’m a girl who is not ‘put off’ by MFK Absolue Pour Le Soir or fragrances of similar skank levels. I tend to like resinous, incensey, sandalwood, dark patchouli, musk, amber-ish scents. I almost paid an enormous amount of money for a used bottle of Chinese Oud, but figured I should ask around first or try to swap some vintage Floris or Chergui or something for a sample first.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks!

Latest News