Areej le Doré : The Official Discussion Thread

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020
Atlantic Ambergris II first impressions on skin:

Soft bubblegum florals from the champaca and I’m guessing Jasmine? Either way it’s subtle. Very subtle. But overall the opening is spicy with a nice dose of Cloves ala Norne. It even has a little bit of that forest fougere vibe that I get from Norne although in no way does this smell like Norne.

I get a lot of similarities with Musk Lave. Is there vetiver in this at all? I’m picking up some vetiver vibes as well. A gentle orris note gives everything a smooth, creamy powder nuance. Ambergris seems ever present with a touch of salty sea foam.

Overall this is a stunner. It’s not as heavy as past releases but I like that. It’s well blended and really potent.

1 spray is alittle overwhelming to my nose. Thankfully the sprayer has excellent sensitivity and I can get a quarter spray in easily.

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020
Not super strong on me, either. Maybe the first hour. After that it goes to skin and stays there for maybe 6.
Wow! I even took a shower to try and wash it off and it’s clearly projecting enough to be cloying. I like the way this smells but it’s absolutely nuclear to my nose. To the point that it’s not enjoyable with a full spray.
It's very subtle on me. Very close to the skin.
Have you asked others around you if they can smell it? It’s so strong when I sprayed it in my bathroom it filled up half my house. I didn’t think my nose was this sensitive but maybe it is? This stuff is inescapable.

james1051

Jul 23, 2013
I wore Ambergris Atlantic II again last night. Had to suppress a stupid grin from breaking on my face. Undoubtedly this version is much better balanced than the OG; the bergamot and fresher elements got dialled up while the cloves got tuned down. This allows the cool clean white ambergris to shine and shimmer right through the composition. @thrilledchilled was spot on about the austere vibes it gives. It’s a big reason why I dig it. So glad to have this in my collection. It sure took a long while but it was worth the wait. Once again, Adam & ALD delivered. You guys knocked this one out of the park!
Yup, its a winner! Terrific new scent.
Atlantic Ambergris II first impressions on skin:

Soft bubblegum florals from the champaca and I’m guessing Jasmine? Either way it’s subtle. Very subtle. But overall the opening is spicy with a nice dose of Cloves ala Norne. It even has a little bit of that forest fougere vibe that I get from Norne although in no way does this smell like Norne.

I get a lot of similarities with Musk Lave. Is there vetiver in this at all? I’m picking up some vetiver vibes as well. A gentle orris note gives everything a smooth, creamy powder nuance. Ambergris seems ever present with a touch of salty sea foam.

Overall this is a stunner. It’s not as heavy as past releases but I like that. It’s well blended and really potent.

1 spray is alittle overwhelming to my nose. Thankfully the sprayer has excellent sensitivity and I can get a quarter spray in easily.
yes, agree, so unique and a bit odd, but it all comes together so well.

I find AAII a bit underpowered at the basenotes end, but others may disagree and my nose tends to filter out musky scents after a few minutes. Not sure whether my nose tends to filter out ambergris as well, after a bit? I hope not. Do love it, as shown in AAII

james1051

Jul 23, 2013
Wow! I even took a shower to try and wash it off and it’s clearly projecting enough to be cloying. I like the way this smells but it’s absolutely nuclear to my nose. To the point that it’s not enjoyable with a full spray.

Have you asked others around you if they can smell it? It’s so strong when I sprayed it in my bathroom it filled up half my house. I didn’t think my nose was this sensitive but maybe it is? This stuff is inescapable.
Your nose is very finely tuned. Mine tends to fuzz out after a bit. Wish I had your nose.

I wore New Sibet on a WFH day recently. Showered as normal the next day, did not pick up any scent whatever, and went into the office.. My friend at work told me I was projecting something skanky LOL. A bit embarrassing. Oh well, they know I like the scents!

WharfRat

Feb 7, 2020
I’ve worn AAII a couple of times now and really like it. It’s also the only ALD I’ve ever received compliments on. As CastingShadows and others observed, definitely got Musk Lave in my face upon first smelling it — is it the remainder of that vintage bergamot he used (though I could almost say that I sense some of that lavender too - maybe just the association)? Also, funny, It conjured Norne too for me but assumed it was the pine.

Definitely fougere to me in the same way that I got that old school Brut vibe off of RM2. I love that.

I’ve somewhat given up on being able to really isolate ambergris scent in general (aside from that rank halitosis smell of lower grades) so I dunno about that. I imagine I can catch a vibration at the fringes of the scent that might be the mythical substance but who knows :)

Also I felt like the whole thing in general dropped off a cliff after a short time and became a skin scent, but the two compliments I’ve gotten while wearing it came after I could no longer easily detect it, so perhaps It’s just easy for me to get somewhat asnosmic to it.

Kind of regret not getting another bottle but then remember the price :)

Last edited:

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020
Your nose is very finely tuned. Mine tends to fuzz out after a bit. Wish I had your nose.

I wore New Sibet on a WFH day recently. Showered as normal the next day, did not pick up any scent whatever, and went into the office.. My friend at work told me I was projecting something skanky LOL. A bit embarrassing. Oh well, they know I like the scents!
My nose may very well be extra sensitive but I can’t imagine Atlantic Ambergris 2 being anything other than bombastic and LOUD.

Also I love New Sibet and I couldn’t imagine that scent giving off a skanky vibe unless the leather and orris maybe scared some folks off? To me that’s such a unique and incredible fragrance.
Wearing AA2 again. I am unsure what to do with this one. I don't hate it, but it seems to walk a strange line between barbershop and amber spice.

I feel like a need to shelve it for warmer weather and see if it suits me then.
This is kind of how I feel as well. I really like the scent but there’s a part of me that feels it’s a tad bit one dimensional and a part of me that’s like “whoa I love this I need more ASAP”.

MrPod

Jan 10, 2018

Maybe it works differently on different skin. I definitely find it one of the least projecting of Areej perfumes. I find Baikal Gris quite gentle too.

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020
Maybe it works differently on different skin. I definitely find it one of the least projecting of Areej perfumes. I find Baikal Gris quite gentle too.
With this one I sprayed my jacket and left the room. When I came back a few hours later the entire room was filled with Atlantic Ambergris 2. Whenever I want to test performance I always start with a cloth test so I can get a good “fresh nose” on the projection. On skin this starts loud but proceeded to bloom into an enormous beast of a scent. Even after washing it off I still got wafts of scent 6 hours later. The room with my jacket projected scent for a full day. While this might not be loud to a lot of members in the community, this is an absolute beast for us with sensitive noses.

Dr B1414

Oct 21, 2019
I think a lot of people get nose fatigued when smelling Ambergris heavy compositions. I remember not being able to smell it at all when I first tried some in perfumes and attars. And everyone else around me was able to smell it. Slowly I've got used to it and now I have an easy time identifying it and smelling it for as long as it lasts. Still, I do believe I can increase my tolerance to this material as sometimes I get reactions like "wow, that's too strong", whereas, to me, it's just a self-perceived scent bubble. I know people that can't smell it whatsoever. Tricky material indeed.

naylor

Oct 24, 2011
I think a lot of people get nose fatigued when smelling Ambergris heavy compositions. I remember not being able to smell it at all when I first tried some in perfumes and attars. And everyone else around me was able to smell it. Slowly I've got used to it and now I have an easy time identifying it and smelling it for as long as it lasts. Still, I do believe I can increase my tolerance to this material as sometimes I get reactions like "wow, that's too strong", whereas, to me, it's just a self-perceived scent bubble. I know people that can't smell it whatsoever. Tricky material indeed.
Yes, I would agree with this for ambergris in general. The same holds true with many different musks, I've found.

JBS1

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2016
Oh, I don't doubt you my friend, I was just saying that on my skin, the clove is much less pronounced in Atlantic Ambergris II than it was in the OG AA. I need to give AA II another full days wear this coming week.
I remember the clove being more pronounced in AAl also.
I do have about 8mls left of the original from a split I got from Stifeknot.
Plus I think I still might have a little left from the carded sample from Russian Adam.
I'll dig them out and do a side by side.
I'm happy with AAll, and I am very pleased with Russian Adam's work on this one.
I didn't get a full bottle of AAl, and now I have a bottle of AAll, plus a 5ml from strifeknot.
I also got a bottle of Tom Ford's Beau de Jour.
Happy with that one too.
I enjoy these types of scents.

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020
After sitting for a full wearing of AA2 my thoughts are thus:

How peculiar is the bergamot opening? Like another user noted it’s absolutely fermented, aged bergamot with a depth that rivals the opening of Musk Lave. I’d say this was a similar material except Russian Adam probably would’ve mentioned that right? Instead this feels different as if he created an accord that brings out the fermented qualities of the bergamot which lends an incredible structure to the pine accord so reminiscent of Russian Musk II. The florals create a bubblegum effect which I also felt similar to Russian Musk although with RM it’s very subtle. Champaca always reads as bubblegum to my nose. The florals are short lived though but it does provide some freshness to an otherwise serious fragrance.

Originally I felt this most similar to Musk Lave but as my nose adjusted I could detect the citrusy pine forest accord that felt alittle too intense in Russian Musk but here it absolutely works for my tastes. While this accord slowly shifts and settles an intensely spiced Cardamom/clove accord shows up with Cardamom being the most noticeable to my nose. The intensity of the cardamom lends to an overall Cola vibe if that cola note was spiced up for the Holidays. The tonkafied sweetness brings to mind the accords of Musk Lave and I absolutely love the warmth this fragrance showcases because as others have mentioned, this is austere and almost cold. Desolate even.

The ambergris is ever present but most noticeably adds to the weight and texture to the opening while being physically perceptible in the heart and drydown. Spicy cola and cardamom dominate the majority of Atlantic Ambergris II’s journey and at times it’s almost overbearing. One complaint I have about this scent is that it’s much more of an “unraveling” than it is a transitional journey and at times can feel one dimensional. The entire scent is on full display the moment you first spray while each individual material slowly strips away to reveal the base which as you might guess is essentially the opening minus the citrusy pine notes. The spices are ever present and last all the way into the drydown where the soft powdery orris of the opening is on full display along with sweetened tonka and some woodsy spiced up oakmoss.

Others have mentioned a barbershop accord and unfortunately I don’t really pick up anything Fougere related although this does display some Chypre-like aspects. There’s a touch of vintage powder in the drydown but really this is Russian Adam’s DNA all the way. While the ambergris lends a salty, creamy powder effect to the entire scent you get the most bang for your buck about 2 or 3 hours in.

Overall this is a spicy cola fragrance that somehow feels cold and breezy. It’s almost desolate at times like a piece of lonely driftwood blown by a cool breeze. It’s hard to say if this is one of Russian Adam’s better creations because the complexity of his newer releases is clearly lacking but where the complexity loses steam the overall scent structure provides something different and altogether unique. This is a safe offering that doesn’t feel as heavy as past releases nor is it as intense but as a whole I love this fragrance. I get 12-16 hours of performance from a single spray.

Dr B1414

Oct 21, 2019
Well it’s official! Atlantic Ambergris II is now one of my favorite ALD’s. It’s taken a lot of time to understand and it’s slowly morphing into an ambergris bomb. The aroma on clothing has lasted the entire duration of time I’ve owned this fragrance and the Drydown just gets better and better!
I like the opening and the heart, but the dry-down is truly amazing. Resins, Cypriol, and Ambergris. So good. And it lasts forever on skin. I don't know about projection, all I know is for the time it lingers on my skin, I constantly smell it. Beautiful bubble around me.

Singularious

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 16, 2018
I like the opening and the heart, but the dry-down is truly amazing. Resins, Cypriol, and Ambergris. So good. And it lasts forever on skin. I don't know about projection, all I know is for the time it lingers on my skin, I constantly smell it. Beautiful bubble around me.
I agree with this.

I wore it yesterday and determined that I actually dislike the opening, but the drydown is very, very good for me.

thescentguru

May 12, 2019
The ones Russian Adam mentioned, I can't get at.
They have a USA store, and Ajmal is one fragrancenet, etc,
but neither has what has been said in his YouTube upload.
I'll go check some more.
I have a few of those he talks about, in particular these ones i found at Fragbuy . ca

Ajmal Mukhallat Dahnal Oudh Moattaq

Ajmal Saif al Hind

Dahn Oudh Al Shams​

all three of these are natural oud that he talks about,

thescentguru

May 12, 2019
What a peculiar (and pretentious in my humble opinion) decision to look into a horizon and away from the camera, that he clearly placed there himself, for the entire video. Was it a deliberate decision to make himself look like a mystic sharing some ancient wisdom and secrets? The content was somewhat interesting and informative though, but I had to turn off the video to don't burst out loud with laughter seeing Russian Adam striking his Seer pose here.
Must be your first Areej Le Dore video. That's how he does all his videos. I definitely don't take it in a pretentious manner. I always figured he's just uncomfortable as I would be looking into a lens. I prefer the other side.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
I took a quick glance at other videos and it could be the case. I deleted my comment.

Russian Adam has always been shy to look into the camera, that's just how he has always been, maybe it's just a form of autism and whatnot. Rest assured, he is one of the most genuine and honest perfumers you'll find, he isn't the type with agenda or any ill intention, he is a good dude.

Latest News