Areej le Doré : The Official Discussion Thread

Scent Detective

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 15, 2015
I am torn on this release. I know I can resell if I don't like it, but generally clove and ylang ylang are very much not my olfactory friends. Especially in large amounts.

And they both seem to play prominent parts according to round one reviews.

Any insights from those who owned or smelled it?
I owned OG Atlantic Ambergris and unfortunately sold it about three years ago. I regret doing that now.

The scent memories that OG AA brought to me was of a clean smelling natural ambergris, clove, and saddle soap. I remember well the smell of my dad's tack room where he stored his saddle's and saddle soap. OG AA smells more like the leather of the saddle mixed with the saddle soap, which is an amazing smell to me. I love this fragrance and couldn't be happier that it is being re-released. I hope AA II is an exact match for OG AA. I know that is a tall order, but I believe Adam can do it!

strifeknot

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Mar 28, 2008
Already have a backup bottle! There’s always a minority opinion, but that makes more for the rest of us! And I don’t want it to be the same, but some similarities would be kinda nice.
Atlantic Ambergris is wonderful, but don't form expectations of it based on Spell 125. They're very different fragrances.

Tosef

Jun 5, 2017
Having a shave at an old-fashioned barbershop in a Baltic seaside town. Walking towards the beach through the pine forest, while sipping a coke from glass bottle over the sand dunes and getting hit by stiff, salty/briny sea breeze. Deep ocean. Spices. Sweet ambery lambdanum drydown. That's what I get from AA. Childhood vacation memories (minus the shave 😂). (bottle pic mine, others from google)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211121_075841.jpg
    Screenshot_20211121_075841.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 21

Diamondflame

Frag Bomber 1st Squadron
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2009
AA2, huh? Dreams do come true! Anyway no 2 pieces of ambergris will smell identical so expect to detect some differences.

I wore RM2 last night after letting it sit for months. It’s a lot smoother now, and the musk a notch sweeter, smelling more like the attar version. But it’s missing the more prominent citrus tops of the OG.

joe king

Apr 28, 2017
AA2, huh? Dreams do come true! Anyway no 2 pieces of ambergris will smell identical so expect to detect some differences.

I wore RM2 last night after letting it sit for months. It’s a lot smoother now, and the musk a notch sweeter, smelling more like the attar version. But it’s missing the more prominent citrus tops of the OG.
Yes they do ! AA is my favorite ALD and I have been hoping for this since my bottle passed the halfway mark.
Hopefully Inverno Russo and then Oud Picante next although Oud Zhen does go someway towards scratching that itch.
In my book the first 3 series where the best, I haven't been wowed by Adam's exploration of old style perfumery, although credit for following his dream and as much as I admire his loyalty, Manly was a mistake.

Tosef

Jun 5, 2017
This is usually the one descriptor that keeps me from even giving a fragrance a chance.

Since I’ve never smelled it, do others consider OG Atlantic Ambergris to have a barbershop vibe?
The barbershop vibe is just one aspect for me. I wouldn't classify this as only barberhsop anf it's probably not as classic barbershoppy as Rive Gauche or Pinaut Clubman, but more medicinal/herbaceous, clovy oakmoss part of a barbershop scent. And in the drydown the ambergris, maybe interplaying with some of the other ingredients creates a slight talcum-musk feel. That's to my nose tho. As you saw, Naylor e.g. feels different about it. I'd say, give it a chance, it's an amazing scent.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
Manly is getting beastly, wore 4 sprays last night and it is still projecting 24hr later....this is way too much, that designerish tonka bean, vanilla, and cinnamon in the dry down is starting to get on my nerves, can't be doing more than 2 sprays next time. :ROFLMAO:

Damn, two days later i can still smell this manly residue left on my jacket, it would not go away, sticking around for a long time, like that mother-in-law that you simply unable to get rid of, it's almost getting annoying.....

Last edited:

Sultan al Hindi

Basenotes Junkie
Feb 5, 2020
I got "into" this game relatively recently, so didn't have exposure until the 6th collection (and haven't smelled anything released prior to the 6th). AdN is one of my favorites so far. As long as I do just one light spray to the chest (on cold days) it's just about perfect (for me). I can see how it could easily be too much with any more than a single spray.

Aside from the post-6th collection releases (love just about all of those), I'm really glad I was able to pick up a pre-owned bottle of Grandenia as well. Unfortunately, my partner can't stand Musk Lave and Santal Galore so those are just about off limits. Last week I just sniffed the cap of Santal Galore and 15 minutes later she said something like "that is so strong!" Just from the scent molecules trapped in my nostrils (and it was in a room I had walked through a few minutes earlier)! Are you kidding me? :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:
Wore Musk Lave over the weekend and it sent the mrs crazy in a good way ''wink wink''...Her brother is an Oudh and musk enthusiast too so I'm pretty lucky in that regard.She's even bought me musk tinctures in the past as a gift so her tolerance for animalistic scents is quite high tbf..

LinePlaneVolume

Basenotes Junkie
May 31, 2020
Wore Musk Lave over the weekend and it sent the mrs crazy in a good way ''wink wink''...Her brother is an Oudh and musk enthusiast too so I'm pretty lucky in that regard.She's even bought me musk tinctures in the past as a gift so her tolerance for animalistic scents is quite high tbf..
Lucky you! Fortunately, I do have a handful that drive my mrs wink-wink "crazy" (tends to be ambers, and Bel Ami Vetiver)... the only Areej she's commented positively on more than once is Agar de Noir.

Mak-7

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 19, 2019
So wait is the general consensus that Spell 125 is similar to Atlantic Ambergris? Or we simply comparing the ambergris?
AA to me had zero smoke/incense to it, it was a little sweet and spicy, which 125 has none of this.
Ambergris wise - 125 knocks it out of the park, AA had ambergris more of a support and smoothing agent. (Or a different type, because 125 has it as morning breath type)
AA has a little bit of green notes, but its nowhere on the level of green that 125 has.
I think their comparison was brought up as a hope, but ultimately they are super different.
Closest thing is Baikal gris and more clovey Norne, but even that is far comparison

naylor

Basenotes Institution
Oct 24, 2011
I dont want to make any enemies here, but bloody hell, does 2ml make a difference?
It doesn't make a difference to me, especially since I likely won't be buying this release anyway. I just find it interesting, is all. Either the bottles don't really hold 50ml as advertised last time, or he decided to underfill them by 2ml this time.

Dr B1414

Basenotes Junkie
Oct 21, 2019
I'm actually excited for AAII. I remember when I first sampled the OG Atlantic Ambergris,
1. I thought to myself "Where the heck is the Ambergris?". It didn't smell at all like I expected.
2. Albeit, I really loved the scent. It smelled like a Piney, Chypre, Musky(Probably the Gris) composition, definitely unique and a bit odd, but very beautiful. Totally unexpected, very much welcomed. I don't think this one is going to be for those looking for an Ambergris forward perfume (plenty of others out there that can deliver there). But it is definitely a beautiful one.

Dr B1414

Basenotes Junkie
Oct 21, 2019
AA to me had zero smoke/incense to it, it was a little sweet and spicy, which 125 has none of this.
Ambergris wise - 125 knocks it out of the park, AA had ambergris more of a support and smoothing agent. (Or a different type, because 125 has it as morning breath type)
AA has a little bit of green notes, but its nowhere on the level of green that 125 has.
I think their comparison was brought up as a hope, but ultimately they are super different.
Closest thing is Baikal gris and more clovey Norne, but even that is far comparison
Mak, do you get the Mriga comparison when smelling Spell 125? The first time I've tried S125, it reminded me instantly of Mriga. I didn't compare them, but it was so close that I left it at that.

Mak-7

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 19, 2019
Mak, do you get the Mriga comparison when smelling Spell 125? The first time I've tried S125, it reminded me instantly of Mriga. I didn't compare them, but it was so close that I left it at that.
Mriga is similar in that its a green fragrance, and i would probably set it side by side with siberian/russian musk/summer than Spell 125.
Mriga is semi synthetic to my nose, and the same peppery/smoky note prin uses over and over is killing it for me.
Spell on the other hand is much darker, barely any sweetness, smoky and ambergris is front and centre. It is closer to Henry Jacques soudain l'hiver smell and ingredients quality wise than to mriga.
Had my parents smell 125 and they as well agreed it is a smell of the proper, old orthodox church, which i cant say the same about mriga. Its more green jungles with dirt type of smell.

You should definitely re visit and side by side them, i think ull really see the gap between them

Dr B1414

Basenotes Junkie
Oct 21, 2019
Mriga is similar in that its a green fragrance, and i would probably set it side by side with siberian/russian musk/summer than Spell 125.
Mriga is semi synthetic to my nose, and the same peppery/smoky note prin uses over and over is killing it for me.
Spell on the other hand is much darker, barely any sweetness, smoky and ambergris is front and centre. It is closer to Henry Jacques soudain l'hiver smell and ingredients quality wise than to mriga.
Had my parents smell 125 and they as well agreed it is a smell of the proper, old orthodox church, which i cant say the same about mriga. Its more green jungles with dirt type of smell.

You should definitely re visit and side by side them, i think ull really see the gap between them
Definitely will. I think I dismissed it too soon.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
Spell 125 has very nice frankincense in it.

As far as the ambergris, it is way more pronounced in S125 than even the EO1/SLA to me, must be of a different type, maybe the higher grade used by EO and ALD is more diffusive and less animalic/fishy? not sure, I just know the Ambergris from S125 is stunning

Castingshadows

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 14, 2020
Wearing Santal Galore today. It’s been awhile and I completely forgot how glorious this is. Age has done wonders for the composition as it all feels so balanced and cozy now. The Rose is a tad bit more pronounced which I love. The tenacity is incredible.

This is up there as one of the best Mysore scents of all time.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
I dont want to make any enemies here, but bloody hell, does 2ml make a difference?

This looks like the exact same bottle as the classic releases, does that mean the previous three were all 48ml but rounded up to 50? not gonna matter really, but just curious what made the capacity change.

Castingshadows

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 14, 2020
This looks like the exact same bottle as the classic releases, does that mean the previous three were all 48ml but rounded up to 50? not gonna matter really, but just curious what made the capacity change.
Obviously I have no clue about Russian Adam’s situation but I do know that standardized quality controlled bottle sizing doesn’t exist for a lot of small perfumers and companies that buy smaller batches. Inconsistency exists across the board with a lot of bottle batches ranging from Attar bottles to perfume bottles. I wonder if whatever batch he purchased really only holds 48ml’s and he’s just being honest.

I’ve received a gram of oud in the same style bottle from the same company and one bottle looked half filled and the other bottle was filled to the cap. Like I said I can’t speak on RA’s situation but after learning about these inconsistencies it’s impossible not to see them everywhere.

Latest News