Areej le Doré : The Official Discussion Thread

Singularious

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 16, 2018
I love Manly. Wear it all the time. I haven't smelled Comme des Garcons 2 Man (hmm) or Gucci pour Homme (2003) in a long time, but it feels like a better, more natural and altogether more satisfying version of both. Lately I alternate it with Sycomore EDT, vintage Patou pour Homme, Homeros and Oud Zhen. It might not advance the art of perfumery, but it's a good one.
I agree with you. I actually quite enjoy it. It just smells good. Love that the suede peeks back through during the wearing.

Simple, perhaps, or at least not a multi-dimensional piece of olfactory art. But most fragrances aren't.

I think a pretty promising debut showing. I expect a raised bar from Aton next time, but would be willing to try the next one, especially in 10ml. I'll definitely be keeping mine. I like it and my wife does too.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
I agree with you. I actually quite enjoy it. It just smells good. Love that the suede peeks back through during the wearing.

Simple, perhaps, or at least not a multi-dimensional piece of olfactory art. But most fragrances aren't.

I think a pretty promising debut showing. I expect a raised bar from Aton next time, but would be willing to try the next one, especially in 10ml. I'll definitely be keeping mine. I like it and my wife does too.

yup, I enjoy it quite a bit, easy to wear and has great performance to boot.

Oud Dude

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 22, 2018

Manly is definitely growing on me. First wearing I was definitely disappointed but now I'm beginning to crave it. Big dark tobacco, suede and patch. I would say overall that it's still nowhere near what I'd normally expect from ALD but I'll absolutely be wearing this a lot through the colder months. (y)

bklow

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 2, 2018
Really enjoying RMII now that the fall temps have arrived in the area which I live. The fir/pine top notes seem to be much more pronounced and are sticking around much longer.

I was going to blind buy Manly this weekend, but the password reset on the site isn't working for me. I'll probably forget about it in a few days if the reset email doesn't show up.

oudaddict

Feb 2, 2017
Really enjoying RMII now that the fall temps have arrived in the area which I live. The fir/pine top notes seem to be much more pronounced and are sticking around much longer.

I was going to blind buy Manly this weekend, but the password reset on the site isn't working for me. I'll probably forget about it in a few days if the reset email doesn't show up.
I don't recommend blind-buying Manly

High Barnet

May 7, 2018
"So today I want to talk to you about something..."

Ok, Russian Adam Jr. Surprised you opted for the front-on position. Why not go full on Areej, and talk to the side of the screen as well, please. Go all the way with this hollow impersonation!

Sorry. Count me as one of those negative voices. Find your own schtick. This is all like some crazy parody to show us how absurd we've all become down this rabbit hole. Come on. Ridiculous. Maybe I'm alone in this, but this surreal development just tarnishes my love for Adam. I can't but lump all of this into one thing...the heaven of Antiquity, Koh-I-Noor, and Russian Oud brought down to earth by Manly, and bits of this guys "soul." Yeah, ok. No thanks.

FragSyndrome

Sep 14, 2016
So Aton has another video out where he talks about MANLY. In this video he literally said that he made MANLY to smell like daddy. It’s funny, but when I smell MANLY I can perceive it as some high schooler perfume that THEY think smells mature (but it doesn’t).

Look I’m going to keep it real, hearing this kid talk through this two videos gives the impression that he has no idea what he’s talking about or what he’s doing. He’s still a kid who should just enjoy his youth. But here he is, still a baby in a grown up business.

I wish him well of course but I’m going to keep it real. This is a big boy business and I don’t think he belongs in it, not yet, and not on Russian Adam’s coattails.

Singularious

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 16, 2018
So Aton has another video out where he talks about MANLY. In this video he literally said that he made MANLY to smell like daddy. It’s funny, but when I smell MANLY I can perceive it as some high schooler perfume that THEY think smells mature (but it doesn’t).

Look I’m going to keep it real, hearing this kid talk through this two videos gives the impression that he has no idea what he’s talking about or what he’s doing. He’s still a kid who needs should just enjoy his youth. But here he is, still a baby in a grown up business.

I wish him well of course but I’m going to keep it real. This is a big boy business and I don’t think he belongs in it, not yet, and not on Russian Adam’s coattails.
Sorry, but this is an insanely condescending post.

And of course everyone has a right to their opinion, and even (in my opinion) to "call youth" on behavior or lack of insight and wisdom.

But that's a far cry from name calling and lack of empathy.

Many years ago, I worked in the motorsports business. It's a tick above Hollywood and media in being dirty, ugly, and dishonest.

One thing we did regularly was mentor "babies" who wanted to be "big boys and girls", but weren't. They could be obnoxious, overconfident, and annoying. But mainly, they were just unaware.

It took time, hard work, and grace (on BOTH sides) to teach them the fundamentals. But those with some talent that were willing to put in the hours, often ended up being really good (currently three pro drivers). On top of that, they brought new ideas, alternative perspectives, and fresh eyes to the business and the sport. And even seasoned and accomplished veterans learned from them as they taught them.

We don't know the full story behind this collaboration, but I get really miffed when those not giving grace or putting in the work are going to openly dump on someone doing their damndest AND putting their work on the public stage to be dissected. It's a lot harder to give constructive criticism, but it yields far better results for us all.

FragSyndrome

Sep 14, 2016
It may not have been pretty but it was my perspective. Was it condescending and lacking in empath? Yes.
I'm glad there's many people here including yourself Singularious who are far more empathetic to this kid's journey and want to be part of it. I'm on the opposite end of that spectrum. That's just how it is.

wood&leather

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 27, 2018
"So today I want to talk to you about something..."

Ok, Russian Adam Jr. Surprised you opted for the front-on position. Why not go full on Areej, and talk to the side of the screen as well, please. Go all the way with this hollow impersonation!

Sorry. Count me as one of those negative voices. Find your own schtick. This is all like some crazy parody to show us how absurd we've all become down this rabbit hole. Come on. Ridiculous. Maybe I'm alone in this, but this surreal development just tarnishes my love for Adam. I can't but lump all of this into one thing...the heaven of Antiquity, Koh-I-Noor, and Russian Oud brought down to earth by Manly, and bits of this guys "soul." Yeah, ok. No thanks.

Whole lot of overreacting going on in this thread.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
If the composition gets a pass from Russian Adam, and he approved of the release and being sold under his name, does it really matter who composed it? I guess to some degree it does matter to some people, there's a certain level of expectation as to how and where it came about, imagine Elon Musk announced that his new Model S was a collaboration with Kia or Hyundai, being built by 3rd party sold under the Tesla name, even with Elon Musk approved and oversaw the production, how do you think the consumer is going to react? A Tesla that was designed and made by Kia/Hyundai probably isn't going to go so well either....

At any rate, I still enjoy Manly though, smells pretty good and has great performance.

SOB111

Feb 9, 2019
We don't know the full story behind this collaboration, but I get really miffed when those not giving grace or putting in the work are going to openly dump on someone doing their damndest AND putting their work on the public stage to be dissected. It's a lot harder to give constructive criticism, but it yields far better results for us all.
I couldn't of said it better myself. Wishing there was a dislike button- I would have used it on a few posts above.

High Barnet

May 7, 2018
Whole lot of overreacting going on in this thread.
Whole lot of lack of natural skepticism going on in this thread?

Whatever, really, but that video is absurd.

I find it funny (very funny), but, at the same time, I do find this whole thing to be an annoying/deflating new element to navigate in the world of Areej and/or this thread...a justifiable reaction, not an overreaction. (I admit I have taken Areej fragrances pretty seriously, as have we all here?, for several years now, of course, and that does lend itself to a less carefree response than I'd like, but that is as it is.)

Anyway, I vote for a separate Aton thread for those who wish to give grace and provide constructive criticism to this dedicated, hard working, soul sharing young perfumer as he bares himself on the public stage (tries to get his market share of his relative's good thing through laughable but earnest impersonation).

Totally a fair, understandable, take.

Sinkinggrade

Jun 5, 2019
I like Manly. I think is one of his best and most wereable works, and I own or have owned the full range. All ALD are great and artistic, but most of them have some slighty (sometimes, overtly) nasty aftertaste far in the drydown. Manly does not have that. And it's a complete pleasure to wear it.

As Xcal kind of stated, if Adam hadn't said this was a collaboration, or even if his pair wasn't a young (apparently inexperted) man, then this fragrance would have had a very different reception.

And who cares about the name.

On the other hand, this thread is what it is due to overreactions, so they all are welcome.

Last edited:

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020
Just received a decant of Oud Zhen. I’m real bummed I slept on this. It’s also another reason why I should trust my own judgment and not others. This is absolutely stunning and it takes the best parts of Russian Oud and Agar de Noir and then wraps them up in a Prin Lomros style incense and dried fruit accord ala Ma Nishtana.

The intensity of this fragrance is a bit frightening. I wasn’t expected to be greeted with something so intense. A single swipe of the sprayer was enough to get solid projection off my hands but I did a small spray anyways.

I enjoy how boozy and warm the opening is before reaching the Smokey sweet and intensely spiced heart. Absolutely stunning. Warm, spicy and cozy all around. This is easily one of my favorite releases from Russian Adam hands down.

Trever1t

May 12, 2019
Just received a decant of Oud Zhen. I’m real bummed I slept on this. It’s also another reason why I should trust my own judgment and not others. This is absolutely stunning and it takes the best parts of Russian Oud and Agar de Noir and then wraps them up in a Prin Lomros style incense and dried fruit accord ala Ma Nishtana.

The intensity of this fragrance is a bit frightening. I wasn’t expected to be greeted with something so intense. A single swipe of the sprayer was enough to get solid projection off my hands but I did a small spray anyways.

I enjoy how boozy and warm the opening is before reaching the Smokey sweet and intensely spiced heart. Absolutely stunning. Warm, spicy and cozy all around. This is easily one of my favorite releases from Russian Adam hands down.
Agree! Don't feel bad, I slept on Ottoman Empire III

Singularious

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 16, 2018

Great, isn't it? Gonna be especially nice in the winter.

Diamond Joe

Feb 5, 2019

Whose judgement were you trusting on this?? I feel like we've *all* been saying pretty much the conclusion you just came to - Oud Zhen is an absolutely stunning fragrance that is one of RA's best.

Singularious

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 16, 2018
Whose judgement were you trusting on this?? I feel like we've *all* been saying pretty much the conclusion you just came to - Oud Zhen is an absolutely stunning fragrance that is one of RA's best.
I'm guessing, but am not 100%, that CS is referring to quite a few early reviews of all three that were disappointing or negative.

Even OZH fan fanboy Dothraki didn't have good first impressions. Took me a few wears myself to "get there".

Diamond Joe

Feb 5, 2019
I'm guessing, but am not 100%, that CS is referring to quite a few early reviews of all three that were disappointing or negative.

Even OZH fan fanboy Dothraki didn't have good first impressions. Took me a few wears myself to "get there".
Fair enough, but after those first couple of weeks of confusion and not-so-great reviews, there have since been months and months of glowing, gushing reviews (at least in this thread).

Singularious

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 16, 2018
Fair enough, but after those first couple of weeks of confusion and not-so-great reviews, there have since been months and months of glowing, gushing reviews (at least in this thread).
Oh totally. OEIII still seems to be a mixed bag, but the other two seem like classics in the making at this point.

And all that being said, Zhen is still very much reasonably attainable at this stage.

FragSyndrome

Sep 14, 2016
I must admit that while I enjoyed Oud Zhen initially, it has grown on my quite a bit since then. It's a pretty intense fragrance so I do space out my wearing but every time I do wear it, I feel like I appreciate it more than before and find a new aspect of it's complexity to dwell on.

It's really an enthusiast's fragrance; there's so much complexity compressed into it's scent profile to ponder on and enjoy.

vapor-ambient

Mar 23, 2020
Oh totally. OEIII still seems to be a mixed bag, but the other two seem like classics in the making at this point.

And all that being said, Zhen is still very much reasonably attainable at this stage.
As for OEIII, I didn't like it when I first tried it. By the second or third wearing, I was in love. It is blissful. RMII took no warming up to on the other hand. I must say that I was surprised some people were calling it "office safe" and such. I find the opening incredibly skanky, and that never fully goes away. If I'm planning to go out, I'd probably spray it on an hour or so beforehand.

I've been put off trying Oud Zhen based on comparisons to Agar de Noir. After finishing my sample set of the 6th collection, AdN ranked lowest out of the five for me. However, all the praise Oud Zhen has been getting is making me really curious.

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020
As for OEIII, I didn't like it when I first tried it. By the second or third wearing, I was in love. It is blissful. RMII took no warming up to on the other hand. I must say that I was surprised some people were calling it "office safe" and such. I find the opening incredibly skanky, and that never fully goes away. If I'm planning to go out, I'd probably spray it on an hour or so beforehand.

I've been put off trying Oud Zhen based on comparisons to Agar de Noir. After finishing my sample set of the 6th collection, AdN ranked lowest out of the five for me. However, all the praise Oud Zhen has been getting is making me really curious.
See I saw the same reviews saying Oud Zhen smelled like Agar de Noir but with spices. I found it to be rather similar to Russian Oud but without the cloying Amber base and weird chocolate note. Although I can see how some who might not be intimate with Russian Oud would say Oud Zhen smells like Agar de Noir to my nose it’s nothing like the latter. But obviously that’s the beauty of scent perception. I also feel that OZII smells like the spice accord used in a lot of Prin’s offerings like Ma Nisthana and Nefer but no one else I’ve spoken with has made that association.

Latest News