Areej le Doré : The Official Discussion Thread

Mak-7

Sep 19, 2019
Does it turn sticky sweet on you? I get a dry semi sweetness, definitely not molasses like for me.

It does. I have hot skin, so it amplifies sweets and ambers.

My friend has a factory where he uses molasses, and thats exactly what i pick up in this perfume. Not a fan of molases amplified this strong. Oh well

Scent Detective

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 15, 2015
Oh man,

I read though some of the posts since Manly was released and all I can say is it's probably his most wearable concoction to date with the possible exception of Chinese Oud. Not nearly as unique as the previous releases but come on, who didn't secretly desire a boozy tobacco leather fragrance from ALD? Here are a couple of my takes graphically.

Excellent pics! Love the coarse, "manly" hand holding the 10 mil bottle. I also really like your pic of the 30 mil bottle as well. The leather grain is magnified by the bottom of the glass bottle, looks cool. Well done!

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013
If you dig your nose into Manly during the opening there’s a real nice, almost cheesy, Hindi Oud. But it fades after about 5-10 minutes.

H_West

Oct 14, 2015
I wore Siberian Musk a few days ago for the first time in a while. I applied very little in the morning, working from home. When my wife came home after a day at work she asked me what I was wearing. I know here taste pretty well so I took a chance and told her to not worry, it's just a fragrance I haven't worn for long and that I only got a few drops left.

She sighed relieved with a big smile. "Well that's good! It smells like you have been trapped inside an old house for ages" :D I could just laugh!

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020
First impressions of Russian Musk II caught me off guard. It’s interesting how this group can sway your perception of a fragrance, it’s wearability, scent profile etc.

I was pleasantly surprised at how strong the musk is based on all the reviews. Also surprised at the depth and strength. This is one seriously gorgeous fragrance. It’s animalic, deep, and well blended. For a classic Chypre it doesn’t get much better than this. Is it reinventing the wheel? Not really but I don’t believe that was Russian Adam’s intention. However this is comforting.

I get a musky citrusy bubblegum up top with warm spices and old wood. This isn’t quite as smooth as the original but I’d imagine with age that will change. Russian Musk II is NOT office friendly to my nose. The spicy citrus and floral quality are gorgeous but the Siberian musk is rather animalic on the urinous/beeswax/unwashed jeans end of the spectrum. It’s a little fuzzy as well but it’s enjoyable. However I wouldn’t wear this to a birthday party or anything.

The florals remind me of Frangipani meets champaca and Jasmine. Wether that’s it or not I don’t know but that kind of bubblegum accord to my nose is always a combo of those three in some capacity.

I also get a strong foresty vibe with Russian Musk. It’s akin to smelling the sometimes musky sap dripping from conifers in a forest. Or the musk that’s created from wet pine needles. It’s subtle and more of a feeling rather than a scent. I also get a cooling quality from this fragrance. Lots of mentholated nuances. Very nice. Very refreshing.

Performance seems really solid. A tiny sample spray has this scent wafting all around me without needing to smell my wrist.

Overall I still believe this is a REALLY nice fragrance. It’s interesting how it’s so similar to the OG but it’s also it’s own thing.

TLDR: vintage Chypre with strong animalic nuances and classic bubblegum florals and spice. Solid performance.

LinePlaneVolume

May 31, 2020
First impressions of Russian Musk II caught me off guard. It’s interesting how this group can sway your perception of a fragrance, it’s wearability, scent profile etc.

I was pleasantly surprised at how strong the musk is based on all the reviews. Also surprised at the depth and strength. This is one seriously gorgeous fragrance. It’s animalic, deep, and well blended. For a classic Chypre it doesn’t get much better than this. Is it reinventing the wheel? Not really but I don’t believe that was Russian Adam’s intention. However this is comforting.

I get a musky citrusy bubblegum up top with warm spices and old wood. This isn’t quite as smooth as the original but I’d imagine with age that will change. Russian Musk II is NOT office friendly to my nose. The spicy citrus and floral quality are gorgeous but the Siberian musk is rather animalic on the urinous/beeswax/unwashed jeans end of the spectrum. It’s a little fuzzy as well but it’s enjoyable. However I wouldn’t wear this to a birthday party or anything.

The florals remind me of Frangipani meets champaca and Jasmine. Wether that’s it or not I don’t know but that kind of bubblegum accord to my nose is always a combo of those three in some capacity.

I also get a strong foresty vibe with Russian Musk. It’s akin to smelling the sometimes musky sap dripping from conifers in a forest. Or the musk that’s created from wet pine needles. It’s subtle and more of a feeling rather than a scent. I also get a cooling quality from this fragrance. Lots of mentholated nuances. Very nice. Very refreshing.

Performance seems really solid. A tiny sample spray has this scent wafting all around me without needing to smell my wrist.

Overall I still believe this is a REALLY nice fragrance. It’s interesting how it’s so similar to the OG but it’s also it’s own thing.

TLDR: vintage Chypre with strong animalic nuances and classic bubblegum florals and spice. Solid performance.

After a less passionate start, this one is becoming a strong love for me. My nose might be insensitive, and I certainly don't fancy this a crowd pleaser, I don't get a sense of it being scary-animalic. Curious where others feel RMII falls on the "challenging to the general populace" spectrum.

Thanks for sharing, Castingshadows.

FragSyndrome

Sep 14, 2016
After a less passionate start, this one is becoming a strong love for me. My nose might be insensitive, and I certainly don't fancy this a crowd pleaser, I don't get a sense of it being scary-animalic. Curious where others feel RMII falls on the "challenging to the general populace" spectrum.

Thanks for sharing.

I was told by a non fragrance wearing person that RM2 smells like an “old world” fragrance that their grandfather might wear in his youth. But it was reported as a pleasant smell.

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020

I agree with you. I don’t think this is scary animalic at all but to my nose this rides the line of what’s “too animalic” to wear in public. For example I know folks say that Maai by Bogue is animalic whereas I do not. However Russian Musk II has a similar animalism to Maai but turned up to 11. To my nose the Siberian musk is front and center however I rarely wear animalic perfumes anymore if ever. So my tolerance is at an all time low. But if folks used Maai as a gauge for what’s acceptable in public then I’d imagine the overall non fragrance related communities might find this alittle “old man in pissed jeans” smelling. But god damn is it the best “pissed jeans musk” I’ve smelled. And it’s quite addicting.

Singularious

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 16, 2018

Was told I smelled like a urinal cake.

5 out of 5. Will wear again.

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020
+1, same here. Nowhere near as challenging as Oud Zhen, Musk Lave, CdR, AdN, W&P2, etc.

What aspects of Musk Lave did you find challenging? It’s funny how perception works. I found that one to be the most publicly wearable scent from ALD aside from Grandenia.

I agree with CdR though. That was just too intense for me.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
What aspects of Musk Lave did you find challenging? It’s funny how perception works. I found that one to be the most publicly wearable scent from ALD aside from Grandenia.

I agree with CdR though. That was just too intense for me.

The musk, one spray of that stuff, and the lady freaked out and asked me what the heck was I wearing, she opened all the windows around the house and lit up a bunch of scented candles all over the place, it's the same reaction as the CdR, it lingered in the room for the whole day. I love both Musk Lave and CdR, but they're not something I could ever wear out to a date or anywhere near my wife, unless i plan on sleeping on the couch. I didn't get the same reaction with RM2, Grandenia, or Manly.

Castingshadows

Apr 14, 2020
The musk, one spray of that stuff, and the lady freaked out and asked me what the heck was I wearing, she opened all the windows around the house and lit up a bunch of scented candles all over the place, it's the same reaction as the CdR, it lingered in the room for the whole day. I love both Musk Lave and CdR, but they're not something I could ever wear out to a date or anywhere near my wife, unless i plan on sleeping on the couch. I didn't get the same reaction with RM2, Grandenia, or Manly.

I do agree musk lave is hella strong! I never wear more than a half spray of that one at a time. It’s just too tenacious and room filling. It’s wild to me when I see folks talking about spraying 5/6/7 sprays of it at a time hahah! I learned that less is more around my wife and at home. Sometimes I only spray on a couple dribbles onto my forearms and that’ll be good for me to a have a scent bubble that lasts most of the day without anyone else having to smell my ridiculous taste in perfumes (for the west anyways).

But Musk Lave always seemed so smooth to me and powdery verse being urinous and animalic like Russian Musk II. My wife still thinks the baby shit himself anytime I wear Agar de Noir. It’s hilarious.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
I do agree musk lave is hella strong! I never wear more than a half spray of that one at a time. It’s just too tenacious and room filling. It’s wild to me when I see folks talking about spraying 5/6/7 sprays of it at a time hahah! I learned that less is more around my wife and at home. Sometimes I only spray on a couple dribbles onto my forearms and that’ll be good for me to a have a scent bubble that lasts most of the day without anyone else having to smell my ridiculous taste in perfumes (for the west anyways).

But Musk Lave always seemed so smooth to me and powdery verse being urinous and animalic like Russian Musk II. My wife still thinks the baby shit himself anytime I wear Agar de Noir. It’s hilarious.

Really? it must be a skin chemistry thing, Musk Lave is very musky on me, just as animalic as CdR, they are both 1 spray wonder that will fill the entire room and lingering around all day long. it's very easy to get nose blind to them as well, i wonder what Adam uses in these composition to yield this kind of tenacity, nitro musk maybe?

LinePlaneVolume

May 31, 2020
I agree with you. I don’t think this is scary animalic at all but to my nose this rides the line of what’s “too animalic” to wear in public. For example I know folks say that Maai by Bogue is animalic whereas I do not. However Russian Musk II has a similar animalism to Maai but turned up to 11. To my nose the Siberian musk is front and center however I rarely wear animalic perfumes anymore if ever. So my tolerance is at an all time low. But if folks used Maai as a gauge for what’s acceptable in public then I’d imagine the overall non fragrance related communities might find this alittle “old man in pissed jeans” smelling. But god damn is it the best “pissed jeans musk” I’ve smelled. And it’s quite addicting.

Good comparison there. I immediately think Maai would be more challenging out and about (love both by the way)!

LinePlaneVolume

May 31, 2020

Luckily my wife has commented positively on AdN, but she can't stand Musk Lave. She hasn't negatively called out RMII either, so hoping that continues.

WharfRat

Feb 7, 2020
If you dig your nose into Manly during the opening there’s a real nice, almost cheesy, Hindi Oud. But it fades after about 5-10 minutes.

I just sprayed again to chase the suede/leather I'd been missing. Found it immediately, but also along with that Hindi oud, and with it a super strong and distinct fecal note (I mean, not just slightly "indolic," I'm talking straight up dogshit lol). Totally don't get the sweet boozy saffron predominating as before. Amazing how scent and (at least my) perception can change so drastically with a shift in perspective or frame of reference.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
I'm 30 minutes in to Manly, and I mostly get a dusty tobacco and some slight booze. To me, it's not as boozy in the opening as others let me to belive. I do detect that "BBQ meat" accord that has been mentioned, but it's not full on meaty. It's definitely manly. I'm still contemplating how I feel about it, but it seems like it has potential in the right circumstances. I'll let it dry down and report back.

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013
I just sprayed again to chase the suede/leather I'd been missing. Found it immediately, but also along with that Hindi oud, and with it a super strong and distinct fecal note (I mean, not just slightly "indolic," I'm talking straight up dogshit lol). Totally don't get the sweet boozy saffron predominating as before. Amazing how scent and (at least my) perception can change so drastically with a shift in perspective or frame of reference.

That’s what I love about this game...the trickery and shape shifting. I remember with Musk Lave I was focusing so much on deconstructing the Bregamot, lavender and Musk in the beginning that I didn’t even notice the beautiful, enormous amount of sandalwood right under my nose until CastingShadows mentioned it...now it’s always there and wonderful. I do like the almost fecal Hindi Oud in Manly, to me it’s the best part, then fades and turns sort of boring and there’s a note in there I’m not agreeing with, some sort of synthetic (which I think completely robbed the patchouli), but aside from the dank Hindi Oud complimenting the raisin/fig, this one was a miss for me.

I'm 30 minutes in to Manly, and I mostly get a dusty tobacco and some slight booze. To me, it's not as boozy in the opening as others let me to belive. I do detect that "BBQ meat" accord that has been mentioned, but it's not full on meaty. It's definitely manly. I'm still contemplating how I feel about it, but it seems like it has potential in the right circumstances. I'll let it dry down and report back.

I didn’t get much boozyness either...not that I had a preference but it did seem to be mentioned quite a bit. It is sort of rum raisinish though I guess lol.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Manly isn't super complex, but there does seem to be some development. Most notably, it gets less "funky" and more subdued. It seems to fade fast - well, not fast, but sooner than I would have expected for an ALD. I put on a few more sprays again this late evening and it really seems to be blossoming in the cooler weather. I'm really enjoying the aura and small scent cloud. I find it immensely comforting. I'll have to give it some more wears and see if my thoughts develop any further.

Oud Dude

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 22, 2018
Things I get from Manly: I do get a bit of that Oud Zhen smoky oud (although it's not very pronounced- also think this is where the BBQ comparisons stem from, although I don't experience it that way) which mingles tightly with the incense and tobacco. It's difficult to discern the outlines of each but all are readily detectable. I also detect the Chinese Oud "boozy accord" but I wouldn't have called it that unless I had watched Adam's video. Of course, I also get that dry leather thing happening combined with the cashmeran. I also get a big, dark patchouli. As it dries down, the Interlude Man incense comes through loud and clear but the star of the show winds up being that big dry tobacco. It's a dirty and unrefined, cigarette-type tobacco. I know there's a vanilla tincture in here but it's not enough to overly sweeten and clean up the tobacco note for me, which is actually a good thing!

Once into the dry down I think that Aton DID actually accomplish what he set out to do which was to recreate the vibe of his father smoking cigarettes in a car with leather seats. It's all in here and clearly apparent.

What I don't get from this perfume is the sort of jaw-dropping opening that all ALD's have previously had (at least for me). Some of that I believe stems from the top notes being so heavy and dark- it's as if you cooked a heavy meal and didn't add any salt to brighten things up. There's hardly any space or air in this composition so it winds up feeling constrained. It leaves the perfume as sort of a sludgy, impenetrable wall of dark materials. Maybe some florals in the heart could have opened it up a bit? For me, it's just too unbalanced to feel like a complete perfume- which is fine! It is niche perfumery after all and anything goes as long as someone likes it.

I'm not unhappy I bought it and I will wear it occasionally (I really do enjoy this tobacco) but overall for me it's the least compelling ALD release so far.

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013
Things I get from Manly: I do get a bit of that Oud Zhen smoky oud (although it's not very pronounced- also think this is where the BBQ comparisons stem from, although I don't experience it that way) which mingles tightly with the incense and tobacco. It's difficult to discern the outlines of each but all are readily detectable. I also detect the Chinese Oud "boozy accord" but I wouldn't have called it that unless I had watched Adam's video. Of course, I also get that dry leather thing happening combined with the cashmeran. I also get a big, dark patchouli. As it dries down, the Interlude Man incense comes through loud and clear but the star of the show winds up being that big dry tobacco. It's a dirty and unrefined, cigarette-type tobacco. I know there's a vanilla tincture in here but it's not enough to overly sweeten and clean up the tobacco note for me, which is actually a good thing!

Once into the dry down I think that Aton DID actually accomplish what he set out to do which was to recreate the vibe of his father smoking cigarettes in a car with leather seats. It's all in here and clearly apparent.

What I don't get from this perfume is the sort of jaw-dropping opening that all ALD's have previously had (at least for me). Some of that I believe stems from the top notes being so heavy and dark- it's as if you cooked a heavy meal and didn't add any salt to brighten things up. There's hardly any space or air in this composition so it winds up feeling constrained. It leaves the perfume as sort of a sludgy, impenetrable wall of dark materials. Maybe some florals in the heart could have opened it up a bit? For me, it's just too unbalanced to feel like a complete perfume- which is fine! It is niche perfumery after all and anything goes as long as someone likes it.

I'm not unhappy I bought it and I will wear it occasionally (I really do enjoy this tobacco) but overall for me it's the least compelling ALD release so far.

Nice detailed impression. Are you picking up any Anise or black licorice type note in the mids?? I swear I’m getting a ton of it but haven’t seen it mentioned.

oudaddict

Feb 2, 2017

I think the opening is more challenging for people, my OH said "are you wearing that deer piss again?". But once it dries down it is very pleasant and sensual.

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013
I don't find Oud Zhen or Musk Lave challenging but I can see how one might grade RM2 as less challenging then them.

I think Oud Zhen is the most challenging ALD. Not just for the general public but also the most complex for noses. It’s pretty exciting watching the layers peel back and expose hidden notes, trying to pull them apart. I’m still finding something new with each wearing, a lot going on in there. Musk Lave isn’t the most challenging as far as complexity but I think anyone who isn’t used to these ingredients would be smacked in the face with a whiff. I don’t really get much musk from it but it’s probably because I’m so used to it and the bergamot and sandalwood steal the show for me every time. Great stuff. I would think the easiest ALD is Grandenia. It’s one of my favorite ALDs. Although not crazy interesting or complex, it’s absolutely perfect for what it is. It keeps my interest just because it’s so damn good lol.

Mak-7

Sep 19, 2019
Clarification requested: what do you guys and girls mean under challenging?
Challenging because there are many layers that you need time to properly examine and understand?
Or
Challenging as if its a "stinky" or "old fashioned" perfume that is not fitting in modern times?
Some of the talks got me a bit confused.
None of ALD are challenging in the meaning "stinky" to me. Maai, Diaghilev, zhen....you name it. Only frags i am a little conscious about wearing are Absolue pour le soir, oudh infini by dusita and i suppose emperor hind. Thats it.

Latest News