Areej le Doré : The Official Discussion Thread

joe king

Apr 28, 2017
@diamondflame. That is a bit like which one of my children is my favorite. I am a fan of ouds and also like gourmand so I enjoy RO a lot but RM is more wearable socially and has a fantastic drydown, so I would wear Russian Musk more often (but don't tell Russian Oud). And of the 4 I have so far, Atlantic Ambergris is my favorite, it is the most unique and intriguing scent.

SydnorIII

Jan 5, 2017
@Valier, won’t you have to go to technical training before arriving at your first assignment? Anyway, good luck...I’m sure you’ll do fine.

Mar 19, 2018
A quick question to people who purchased from the Areej Le Doré webshop - did you guys recieve a confirmation about the purchase via email? I have bought a bottle of Russian Oud 2 days ago and the money went through but haven´t recieved any confirmation back from them whatsoever. I wrote them an email with the order number to confirm - no answer so far. Given the high price, I am freaking out a little bit, wondering if that is normal...

joe king

Apr 28, 2017
@Trilli4n i have made purchases from the Areej Le Dore website quite a few times with no problems .They did not send a confirmation email, but i chose DHL as delivery method and got an text from DHL regarding delivery. I am sure all will be well as they are very genuine people to deal with.

Mar 19, 2018
Thank you very much for your answer a-z 0-9! I´m very excited about this, I hope it will go well. My first blind buy ever and also my most expensive one... :)

Tosef

Jun 5, 2017
A quick question to people who purchased from the Areej Le Doré webshop - did you guys recieve a confirmation about the purchase via email? I have bought a bottle of Russian Oud 2 days ago and the money went through but haven´t recieved any confirmation back from them whatsoever. I wrote them an email with the order number to confirm - no answer so far. Given the high price, I am freaking out a little bit, wondering if that is normal...

I had the exact same issue and have mentioned it here in the hope that Adam would read it. They replied my email at some point, but I had the push them a bit. I love the scents and as I heard from others here Adam is very customer friendly. However this thing with not getting any email confirmation is really not nice, especially considering the high prices...

Nevertheless, in the end all was fine and I received the two bottles. Russian Oud and Russian Musk, both blind buys as well. And the best I've done until now. 😁

rynegne

Basenotes Institution
Jul 25, 2012
You have absolutely nothing to worry about. If your funds went though I assure you Adam will have your perfume in your hands soon enough. He's an incredibly honest and customer service oriented small operation.

inasia69

Nov 30, 2016
You have absolutely nothing to worry about. If your funds went though I assure you Adam will have your perfume in your hands soon enough. He's an incredibly honest and customer service oriented small operation.

Nothing to worry about I have ordered twice and didn't get a quick email. They get processed out of Thailand so take that into account and the fact I he probably has a small processing operation.

I really like Russian Musk so much I'm tempted to get another bottle before they run out.

rynegne

Basenotes Institution
Jul 25, 2012
There will most likely be a secondary market of people looking for a discontinued bottle once they run out. That's actually pretty nice considering you can't really say this about most fragrances in which you have to incur a loss because there's very little demand. You're close to guaranteed you won't be selling at a loss if down the road you decide to sell at a later date. More often than not on discontinued, short-run stuff like this you'll be able to sell at a decent markup - worse comes to worst.

I really like Russian Musk so much I'm tempted to get another bottle before they run out.

joe king

Apr 28, 2017
I have had a bottle of Inverno Russo for a week now and i am besotted by it. The musk in this is so dominant to me. It unlike anything i have smelt before. Now i really want to smell Siberian Musk. Does anyone have a spare bottle or part thereof ?

kswer

Basenotes Dependent
May 13, 2013
As the expression goes, you would have to pry my bottle out of my cold, dead hands! Still think it is his best work of ALD.

Mar 16, 2017
Just received my full bottle of Russian Musk, wow. The Citruses are so much smoother compared to the little decant of SM that I have. The bergamot reminds me of my BaV 60's extrait in it's fruity roundness, the lemon is incredibly rich. The fir and pine are fresh at first but have now combined with the fossilised amber and it has a semi-gothic incense presence about it, but a heavenly kind. The orange blossom is starting to become the main focus, slightly sweet but definitely not overly sweet. Everything settles down like a proper parfum, the oakmoss reminds me of vintage Mitsouko (60's-70's point of reference) and the deer musk is divine. Even though I am making comparisons to vintage perfumes, this is original, but it holds all the qualities that I adore about my favourite perfumes and has it's own character. Comparing the musk here to my BaV 60's extrait, it is a touch sweeter and less earthy, but the similarity and aura is almost identical, and based on enquiries I have made, they used Vietnamese M. Berezovskii, the one considered Tonkin, more sought after than the legendary Kashmir/Kasturi and Himalayan musks. Yes BaV also has the cocktail of nitromusks; Ketone, Ambrette and Xylene, but when the dry down ends with just the pure deer musk. This wows me, that the tincturing and maceration of the Siberian musk (as in the type that Russian Adam uses, not limited to SM the scent) has yielded an experience almost identical to infamous Vietnamese Tonkin, it just speaks volumes about Russian Adam's ability to process and work the material into the composition.

I can see why people might prefer the overt by comparison muskiness that SM has, but the way that the musk has been presented in RM, slightly more shy and elusive, like the deer themselves, touches me more on an emotional level and reminds me of a trip to Haiphong where I very briefly met an attar maker and he told me a few things about how he blended various woods and grades of musk.

If this is the kind of perfume that is considered to be a weapon of mass destruction in the eyes of the EU, where the qualities are on par if not better than some of the best perfumes I know both new and vintage, then I have no words. I am so glad I got a full bottle after sampling. This is core-shaking, I might be slightly biased, but this has to be my favourite Areej Le Doré composition. There is so much I have forgotten to add and at this point I am afraid of rambling. I'll probably edit this post at some point with updated developments and probably syntax or grammar fixes, I am practically shaking from the beauty of this perfume.

EDIT: I am not sure if he used the three musk pods together in one tincture or if there are three separate tinctures per 100 bottles worth of concentrate, so your experiences and impressions might differ in terms of how you perceive the musk. I have said the musk note is elusive but at times once you can isolate and recognise the aroma, you can almost feel a furry undercurrent weaving and fluctuating in prominence as this perfume progresses through the drydown. I have read in other places that there is no "fur" texture feel or animalic nuances coming from the musk itself, but I swear I can get a very subtle animalic earthiness as the dry down goes on (not coming from the oud) that is similar from memory to the tincture of what I smelled in Haiphong and the last hours of BaV, maybe my nose is being tricked but there definitely is that quality where your skin feels like a moving creature or blanket of fur.

EDIT II: The projection is parfum soft but not unusually soft, sillage is modest, longevity is to be determined. This is from a half spray, half of which managed to hit my wrist. Around eight hours in so far and the base/deep base is so addictive. With this full bottle I am getting more P+S than I did with the samples, and I also live in a cooler climate, so that might be why I am personally not running into any issues some have raised.

EDIT III: I have just caught on to the SCCS and their actions within the EU (sneaky and quiet), looks like IFRA is child's play by comparison. Even the adulterated low atra seems to not be a viable option. I am going to treat this bottle and my samples like precious treasures more than ever now :cry: viva unadulterated mosses, citruses and florals!

Last edited:

Diamondflame

(Almost) Off the Grid
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2009
Congratulations on your bottle of Russian Musk, @hauteparfumgourmand. What are your thoughts on the others from the house latest release? Have you tried them?

Mar 16, 2017
Thanks @Diamondflame ! I did get samples of the others, as well as the previous two collections. With the latest releases I preferred Russian Musk (overall like I said I prefer it to the previous two collections also) followed by the Walimah attar, then Indolis, Walimah Parfum, then Russian Oud. The attar is extremely rich, and I prefer it's development compared to the parfum spray version. Indolis was lovely, very namesake, various "green" shades and accords, the jasmine was soft but intense on my skin, I got a little incense vibe but not much.

Russian Oud is pleasant but not for me, it didn't do anything for me personally, it gives a leathery feel when combined with the oud, it just hits my nose wrong. I recognise that it's very rich and I would encourage people to try it, it is very nice but my nose does not process it the way I want it to :tongue: . Maybe I will revisit it in a month or two. If they haven't run out by then, I might be wanting to buy a bottle of Indolis and Walimah attar. Right now though Russian Musk has stole my heart and nose. Based on personal tastes I prefer the softer projection/longevity/sillage of the latter sets of releases, the first generation was very surprising, I regret not springing for a bottle of SM, but I am happy with the sample. There was just something about RM, maybe the emotional reaction and previous reference points, that made me want to get a full bottle to cherish as long as I can.

Diamondflame

(Almost) Off the Grid
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2009
@HauteParfumGourmand. Thank you for the update. Incidentally I’m currently into the 5th hour of Russian Musk from a single spritz to the crook of my arm. The intense, somewhat overblown sweetness of the orange blossom note has finally receded into the background and the beautiful musk feels much less adorned but also IMO less encumbered. It smells warm, inviting and softly musky, like the sun kissed skin of a lover’s neck. The jaw-dropping velvety lushness of Siberian Musk’s ‘ermine cloak’ embrace is clearly missing at this stage. It does make for a cosy, more intimate wearing, considering its prolonged drydown phase. :smiley:

JBS1

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2016
Does anyone else have an SDS power word btw? Mine is DIFFUSERVANILLA :cool:

Not sure if I understood what you’re saying here. Not familiar with the SDS acronym, for starters...

�� I thought the exact same thing but didn't want to be the first one to say it...

That' makes 3 of us.

Safety Date Sheet ?
That's all I could think of .

Sodium Dodecyl Sulfate .
Something that goes into detergent I guess .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_dodecyl_sulfate

Anyways, just sampled Russian Oud.
I just love it .
Going to get a bottle.
Best weekend everyone :thumbsup:

Diamondflame

(Almost) Off the Grid
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2009
Thanks for clarifying via PM @HauteParfumsGourmand. Yes SDS = Safety Data Sheet. I’m more familiar with MSDS (material safety data sheet). Oh well, I’m sure many of us are familiar with postal service restrictions...

rynegne

Basenotes Institution
Jul 25, 2012
A wonderful basenoter sent me a generous amount of Siberian Musk to test and I'm finally getting to wear it today. Wonderful pine opening that's really missing from Russian Musk. Siberian Musk is much less sweet than RM which IMO allows the musk to really shine. Kicking myself for not buying this while I had the chance but so thankful for the generous basenoter that shared with me :) I'm going to cherish my decant!

exoticscents

Sep 10, 2016
The Vietnamese Tonkin Musk comparison is quite acceptable. Because even I am sure this is not simple Siberian Musk. It has the sweet, saccharin vanillic, medicinal flavour which is ultrafine and has a warm velvet texture on skin. The more I wear SM the more I enjoy it. I got an easy 16hr soft presence the last time I wear. Musk rendered with extraordinary precision like that of a precious attar. I am carrying my SM to Delhi this weekend when I will be exploring the vintage inherited Attar/pure parfum stores of Old Delhi. One of these named Gulag Singh Johrimal is quite popular. Lets see if I can find some old musk based scents. Cheers everyone.

JBS1

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2016
The Vietnamese Tonkin Musk comparison is quite acceptable. Because even I am sure this is not simple Siberian Musk. It has the sweet, saccharin vanillic, medicinal flavour which is ultrafine and has a warm velvet texture on skin. The more I wear SM the more I enjoy it. I got an easy 16hr soft presence the last time I wear. Musk rendered with extraordinary precision like that of a precious attar. I am carrying my SM to Delhi this weekend when I will be exploring the vintage inherited Attar/pure parfum stores of Old Delhi. One of these named Gulag Singh Johrimal is quite popular. Lets see if I can find some old musk based scents. Cheers everyone.

I've enjoyed my sample of Indolis Nikhil.
I've just ordered a 5ml of it from strifenkot here on Basenotes .
I hope you do a video of Old Delhi for us , if you can.
Cheers in return .

exoticscents

Sep 10, 2016
I've enjoyed my sample of Indolis Nikhil.
I've just ordered a 5ml of it from strifenkot here on Basenotes .
I hope you do a video of Old Delhi for us , if you can.
Cheers in return .

I will make sure I don’t miss anything special in the videos that I plan to shoot. It will be hell with the heat and crowding in those old lanes yet I am extremely excited to capture and share with you all eveything that I would myself experience for the forst time. Btw, I got confused and wrote SM multiple times in my last. I was actually referring to RM the new Russian Musk. It has a unique Tonkin Musk effect. Cheers to you 😊

Bangkok Hound

User of Toilet Water
Basenotes Plus
Nov 4, 2015
FYI: I just saw on Instagram that because of the Songkran holidays in Thailand, if you order between 12-16 April, you will get free delivery with packages being shipped on the 18th. So, here's your chance to avoid those shipping charges!

mikeperez23

Be Here. Now.
Basenotes Plus
Dec 31, 2006
It's one of the few that has something new and interesting to say every time I smell it. It may be the most extraordinary and thought-provoking stuff I own.

Congrats! It probably has the best sexiest drydown, pants down... :wink:

Totally agree with @pluran and @Diamondflame. Inverno Russo is overtaking Atlantic Ambergris as my most worn Areej Le Dore

Thanks all.

When I got my decant I made my co-worker smell it (he knows I'm a fragrance enthusiast) and he recoiled in horror. I don't think he's ever smelled a real musk fragrance like that. We both got a good laugh.

Diamondflame

(Almost) Off the Grid
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2009
When I got my decant I made my co-worker smell it (he knows I'm a fragrance enthusiast) and he recoiled in horror. I don't think he's ever smelled a real musk fragrance like that. We both got a good laugh.

Lol. The first half or two thirds is definitely not for beginners. I bet you’d have gotten a better reaction on Inverno Russo’s 3rd Act with the animalic facet lurking much further in the backdrop. :smiley:

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
Wore Walimah Attar for the first time yesterday.

Beautiful, and very different from the others I’ve sampled from this house. It’s intensely floral, cooling, refreshing - and uniquely satisfying.

It’s my olfactory equivalent of walking out into a cool, misty, flower/greenery scented breeze after having been cramped in a hot, stuffy bus. That kind of energizing satisfaction. A smooth, dewy vetiver provides a foundation, and there’s a light dose of fresh sweetness that I can’t identify precisely. I need more time to pick out the details, but I really, really enjoyed sampling it.

gunmetal

Basenotes Member
Jan 15, 2016
I like Walimah Attar too. Its a very well tune green scent on my skin with hints of the wet forest. I smell a bit of Champaca but it seems more green then lush and comes across as very botanical. I don't know what magnolia smells like but there's a tanginess to the scent. I also get a galbanum vetiver accord from the get go. Galbanum is not on the listed notes but its definitely manifesting on my skin. I've briefly sampled the extrait and it came across as a very different scent on my skin. It felt way more floral and a bit sweeter while the attar is more vetiver galbanum on my skin. I don't have a sample anymore so my memory could be deceiving me. Has anyone tested the differences between the extrait and attar?

Splashfrag12

Aug 22, 2013
Drenched myself in SOTD : Areej Le Dore Russian Oud !!!!!
India
Had been liberal with the sprays ( 12 sprays ) ...The smells mesmerised me the whole day... It is now 7th hour and still its performing beastly..... Some people whom I met this morning dint like it while few other them were over whelmed by the smell. At the start it smells poopish but but gets settled soon into a wonderful dark woody aroma with the hint of chocolate !!!
The Perfumer has done justice with the fragrance by putting very high quality ingredients that it dint become obnoxious even after such heavy sprays ..!!!!

attachment.php

SydnorIII

Jan 5, 2017
Howdy folks...long time no talk!

Initially I wasn’t bowled over by Walimah EDP; however, I took my time with it and now I am absolutely addicted! Heavenly florals, fluffy musk, comforting cocoa and tobacco, with wisps of smoky vetiver and balsams. It’s fairly linear, but when everything is so rich and satisfying, do you always need something complex? Not with Walimah my friends. I will be purchasing a bottle when I get my pennies in order after this recent Sultan Pasha acquisition.

Latest posts

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...